• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I remember him teasing this video months ago on the ten year anniversary of New Vegas, so I had eagerly been awaiting it. I'm going to watch this tonight (or at least start watching it). I remember his Fallout 3 video and agreed with most of the things he said in it.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
The last thing I need is to get hyped about New Vegas and dump another 150+ hours into modding and playing through that again... or is it?

lopzter

Jan 13, 2020
So, I own vanilla NV. Should I get any DLC before starting the game? Suggested mods? Always wanted to play it but haven't.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Watched this and agreed 200%.

He did not get to the DLC. Which is a shame.

So, I own vanilla NV. Should I get any DLC before starting the game? Suggested mods? Always wanted to play it but haven't.

Man. There are so many.

There is a great guide for modding the game to hell and back and it covers all the major points.

You can, however, just play vanilla and slow mod things as you Explore The Nexus. Just be aware that some of the bigger more complex mods require a new save,

Also: Get the DLCs. They are vital to modding and they are all excellent.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
I thought his next videos gonna be about RWBY? Did the controversy make him steer back? We back to doing Video games now?

Also no shit New Vegas is good.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I thought his next videos gonna be about RWBY? Did the controversy make him steer back? We back to doing Video games now?

Also no shit New Vegas is good.

Dunno if his plans have changed, but New Vegas just its 10 Year anniversary, so it probs had priority.

It was utterly broken at launch, even worse than CP2077

Seems like a weird non-sequitor.

But yeah, most Gamebryo games were hot garbage when it came to stability. That said, I bought the game at launch, and it was not nearly as starkly bad then, as Cyberpunk is now.

lopzter

Jan 13, 2020
You don't need to get it when you start the game, but IMO all the DLC is worth playing and it tells at least somewhat of a story connected between them.

Man. There are so many.

There is a great guide for modding the game to hell and back and it covers all the major points.

You can, however, just play vanilla and slow mod things as you Explore The Nexus. Just be aware that some of the bigger more complex mods require a new save,

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll start with vanilla and track a deal for the DLCs/wait for a sale on Steam

Shadowstew

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching; this is a nice retrospective on why this game is considered to be one of the best rpgs by many despite its technical faults and rushed development.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017

That guide appears to be two years old, try this one:

vivanewvegas.github.io

Viva New Vegas

A fully modular, comprehensive, and regularly updated modding guide that allows for any personal preference to be satisfied.

It's fairly low-impact and so, I'd argue, a good option for newcomers to the game.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
That guide appears to be two years old, try this one:

vivanewvegas.github.io

Viva New Vegas

A fully modular, comprehensive, and regularly updated modding guide that allows for any personal preference to be satisfied.

It's fairly low-impact and so, I'd argue, a good option for newcomers to the game.

Thanks. I did not know of the more newcomer-friendly ones since I have been going hard at modding this game for 10 years.

The one I posted is still super relevant for people who know enough of what they are doing to do additional research.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
I've never played New Vegas and I've been considering doing so recently. It's on Game Pass, is the 360 version decent? Will try it out on my XSX if it is!

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Man I really hope now that MS owns both Obsidian and Bethesda this game will get more love. At least make it BC enhanced with 4k60. But I'd kill for a full blown remake

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I maintain that H.Bomb has no more insight into anything than your average rpg forum guy

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
Damn, I wanna watch but I don't want to get too spoiled. I'll have to complete New Vegas one of these days. Modding is a pain in the ass for me tho.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Still need to play NV. How does it hold up on Xbox? I'd be playing it on an XSX.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course! Who needs a video convincing them otherwise? I will watch it however. New Vegas needs a remaster.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Welp, between never having given New Vegas a substantial amount of time and going through this entire video, I feel like remaking this game with massive presentation improvements but pretty much keeping all of the systems and content intact would be a helluva relaunch.

Like, I've not even played this game past the first couple of hours and hbomberguy has pretty soundly convinced me that it deserves tremendous reverence. I had no idea it was THAT cohesive and deep with its worldbuilding and storytelling, and it's mindblowing it was released 10 years ago under false guise of being a Fallout spinoff.

Like, I have seen plenty of people go to bat for New Vegas over the years but I don't think I've seen a single argument that arrested and demonstrated its merits to me that plainly.

Goddamn I wanna play it now, lol.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
It was utterly broken at launch, even worse than CP2077
I'm talking about Vegas being a good game, I don't know about the broken launch because I bought it years later
Dunno if his plans have changed, but New Vegas just its 10 Year anniversary, so it probs had priority.

Seems like a weird non-sequitor.

But yeah, most Gamebryo games were hot garbage when it came to stability. That said, I bought the game at launch, and it was not nearly as starkly bad then, as Cyberpunk is now.

10 years, damn, now I feel old
He did one for RWBY already, did he plan to do several? Maybe he is alternating topics
I thought he said he gonna make a follow up on RWBY before the whole Reddit thing blows up in his face, maybe I miss remember.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
yeah, it's a great game with fantastic dlc. and lol ppl complain about cyberpunk now but nv had quite a lot of problems when it first came out and we still managed to love it.

microsoft better get us that remake or sequel now that all the relevant studios are under their umbrella

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I want at least 40 minutes of this to be talking about why Dead Money is one of the best dlc ever made

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, it's a great game with fantastic dlc. and lol ppl complain about cyberpunk now but nv had quite a lot of problems when it first came out and we still managed to love it.

microsoft better get us that remake or sequel now that all the relevant studios are under their umbrella

I think Obsidian being much smaller and an overall underdog helps.

Also, they are nowhere near as shitty as CDPR.

I want at least 40 minutes of this to be talking about why Dead Money is one of the best dlc ever made

It is not, I felt it was a missed opportunity. Absolutely no DLC talk.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Great watch. Wish he went into the DLCs but alas. Fodder for another video.

I can't wait until his Pathologic 2 video hits.

May 19, 2020
new vegas is fine enough on console if you have no other option but obviously PC is where it really shines thanks to mods, lighting overhauls and general fixes

Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

To be fair with New Vegas they were working with Bethesda's framework that notoriously was janky. NV had new bugs of it's own my (and still has some today), but I think it's much more tolerable and nothing quite like picking up too many items breaking your save permanently.

Cyberpunk was also not a Bethesda game.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017

Man. There are so many.

I feel like he wanted to talk about the staff a lot, and with recent-ish events surrounding MCA that would make talking about the DLC difficult, since he wrote Dead Money and Old World Blues (and also supervised on Lonesome Road), which are the best ones.

It would be 20 minutes of gushing about how Avellone is one of the best, if not THE best video game writer in the industry. Someone who can weave game mechanics into story telling while also writing extremely compelling and unique characters with incredibly interesting concepts. And who also got ran out of said industry not too long ago because of a history of sexually assaulting people while drunk.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
YMMV. some mods and big overhauls require scripting that is technically outside the scope of the base game. basically all you can do is experiment and see what works for you. that said you can run most NV modded stuff on a potato
Thanks I will give it ago, bought it on Steam ages ago in a sale and only played half an hour. Played it to death on Xbox though, it is indeed one of the goats.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
"And here's why" doesn't really vibe with the fact that it's one and a half hours long. Wish these people would stop with the click bait'y titles.

And we already know that NV is great.

Oct 29, 2017
I played it for the first time this summer and wow, yeah I liked 3s location quite a bit but NV blows 3 away. The stories and quests are fantastic. I played quite a bit, started using no clip and floated through levels to zip through it faster. Really had a good time. I've squeezed out quite a bit from the experience. Well done

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
...What? How does: "And here's why" indicate that the "why" must be short and to the point?
I've played maybe an hour of this on PlayStation now (looks awful tbh, sluggish) and I just sat through that whole video and it was really really informative, constantly interesting. Now while barely having played it I know why everyone holds NV in such high regard ,what a game

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I had already seen the entire video on my first post but I have to admit that I'm still kind of in shock at the examples of this game's narrative depth in the video.

For the longest time, my interpretation of all the praise was more or less "I like it the most because it resembles Fallout 1 and 2!!"

My first contact with the Fallout series was Fallout 3 personally, so I never understood the context. I've never been a huge CRPG person so I never played Fallout 1 or 2 nor really made any attempt to try them out even as my gaming tastes expanded and I considered myself a Fallout 3 fan. I always thought that Fallout 1 and 2 comparison was largely just "it has the sardonic humor of the originals and Fallout 3 is too dry!" which is definitely seemingly true, but I feel like this video points out that Fallout 1 and 2 also had a very open spirit to the player's relation to the narrative too. That's the part that I never understood and never had a window to understand until it was exemplified in this video.

My mind is kind of blown that this game just kind of slipped through my cracks. I legit always had a much more shallow idea of why people preferred New Vegas over the Bethesda Fallout games. I had no idea that New Vegas basically was a game that embodied a ton of the story ambitions that I sometimes find myself casting onto newer game releases (like Cyberpunk) and that rarely, if ever, actually is achieved.

I can't believe this game has been there all along, it's been properly praised and I just never actually understood the sheer depth that the praise was coming from.

I have to play this. I'm gonna be eyeballing the Steam winter sale sometime in the next couple of weeks, or maybe grabbing the 360 version. I just have to play this game now.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I had already seen the entire video on my first post but I have to admit that I'm still kind of in shock at the examples of this game's narrative depth in the video.

For the longest time, my interpretation of all the praise was more or less "I like it the most because it resembles Fallout 1 and 2!!"

My first contact with the Fallout series was Fallout 3 personally, so I never understood the context. I've never been a huge CRPG person so I never played Fallout 1 or 2 nor really made any attempt to try them out even as my gaming tastes expanded and I considered myself a Fallout 3 fan. I always thought that Fallout 1 and 2 comparison was largely just "it has the sardonic humor of the originals and Fallout 3 is too dry!" which is definitely seemingly true, but I feel like this video points out that Fallout 1 and 2 also had a very open spirit to the player's relation to the narrative too. That's the part that I never understood and never had a window to understand until it was exemplified in this video.

My mind is kind of blown that this game just kind of slipped through my cracks. I legit always had a much more shallow idea of why people preferred New Vegas over the Bethesda Fallout games. I had no idea that New Vegas basically was a game that embodied a ton of the story ambitions that I sometimes find myself casting onto newer game releases (like Cyberpunk) and that rarely, if ever, actually is achieved.

I can't believe this game has been there all along, it's been properly praised and I just never actually understood the sheer depth that the praise was coming from.

I have to play this. I'm gonna be eyeballing the Steam winter sale sometime in the next couple of weeks, or maybe grabbing the 360 version. I just have to play this game now.
I was floored seeing how the different NV factions interact with you/how they deal with you depending on your decisions versus how barebones those "systems" (if you can even call them that) are in Cyberpunk with the gangs... just wow