• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
This is great news! I just tried to download it and got an error saying that it only works on PS4. About to reset my PS5 to see if that fixes the issue.

So excited to be able to fully use the PS5 as my single streaming platform!!!!! I'd been using my One X only for HBO MAX to this point, but now can consolidate all to my PS5. YAY!
Like others, by resetting my PS5 I was able to download the app.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I was really annoyed with this app not being on my LGTV and PS5, then I find out that all the content is only 1080p with no HDR. I think WW will be the 1st to support 4k and HDR.

Last edited:

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent.

Now I just need Amazon/Sony to fix the Prime app since it outputs a dark image (at least for non-HDR TVs).

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry that was a typo on my part. I meant to say not, not now. But no still no LG support, I believe it's still only on Samsung TVs.

No worries.

But yeah, it's annoying. I know it's on the PS4 Pro (don't have a PS5 yet), but I don't know if there are HDR issues on the Pro in regards to HBOMax like there is with Disney+.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still holding out until it comes to LG TVs.

This is what I'd ultimately prefer, but in the meantime, this works just fine for me. It means my PS4 doesn't need to be hooked up if I want to watch 4K/HDR content on my good TV.

That said, I'm not holding my breath for the LG app. We never even got the older HBO apps on LG sets.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
This is what I'd ultimately prefer, but in the meantime, this works just fine for me. It means my PS4 doesn't need to be hooked up if I want to watch 4K/HDR content on my good TV.

That said, I'm not holding my breath for the LG app. We never even got the older HBO apps on LG sets.

Just curious, but did you watch HBOMax on your PS4 (I'm guessing you had a Pro?) before you got a PS5? How did the HDR/4K look?

Just watched Mulan the other night on Disney+ via my LG CX and it looked beautiful. But I know Disney+ has issues on the Pro with HDR for some reason. Did you find the same with HBOMax?

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Just curious, but did you watch HBOMax on your PS4 (I'm guessing you had a Pro?) before you got a PS5? How did the HDR/4K look?

Just watched Mulan the other night on Disney+ via my LG CX and it looked beautiful. But I know Disney+ has issues on the Pro with HDR for some reason. Did you find the same with HBOMax?

Not the person you quoted but HBOMax currently doesn't support HDR & 4K. That'll come when Wonder Woman is released.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Perfect haha I bought MK11 Ultimate on PS5 from Best Buy a few days ago because it was on sale for $40, and it came with a 14 days trial for HBO Max. Code came yesterday and tried to go download HBO Max on PS5 last night, but it wasn't on the store yet.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Ahh, ok. Thank you. Hopefully it releases with no issues for the Pro, as that's the only way for me to watch the app right now.

Sorry I should've also shared that I think it'll be delayed for consoles.

These are the listed devices that they'll support for 4K HDR when it launches:
  • Apple TV 4K
  • Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Cube and 4K Fire TV Edition smart TVs
  • Google Chromecast Ultra and "supported" Android TV devices
  • The AT&T TV streaming box (which runs Android TV)

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Good thing I didn't pull the trigger on that Chromecast TV then. I didn't have any means of watching HBO Max since the PS4 Pro is boxed up and being given to family, and my TCL doesn't have the app.

calavera520

Oct 28, 2017
I have been streaming hbomax through airplay to my lg oled (webos still lacks an hbomax app) and it's been working pretty well as far as I can tell. Perhaps the quality is slightly degraded but nothing too noticeable.

Nice to see that it's native on PS5 now

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry I should've also shared that I think it'll be delayed for consoles.

These are the listed devices that they'll support for 4K HDR when it launches:
  • Apple TV 4K
  • Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Cube and 4K Fire TV Edition smart TVs
  • Google Chromecast Ultra and "supported" Android TV devices
  • The AT&T TV streaming box (which runs Android TV)

Of course. smh Looks like I won't be watching Wonder Woman for awhile.

But even for PS5? I don't have one, but I can see a lot of people in this thread being unhappy if what you say is true.