• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

Where are my East Coast 80's babies at, you know about this place, you probably even got injured here or know someone that has. This was the wildest summertime destination back in the day. But also the most dangerous, cool to see HBO covering it.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the trailer for this the other day. Had to look it up. I couldn't believe this thing was around for 18 years.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the shitty water park in Jersey that Vinny and Jeff talked about on a Beastcast a while back?

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
What would you do if you didn't make the loop? You'd have to crawl back up? Lmao
Think i remember reading a urban legend of them prying it open

but yeah this shit looked super dangerous as an adult. But as a kid this was amazing. Was closed when I went.
0*NNKWb7oBefw9RD6z.gif

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
Man I remember this place. The ads for Action Park were amazing and it was the place everyone wanted to go. I always loved the tanks they had that shot tennis balls.
my brother got messed up in a water slide there when the water got blocked.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I've watched several youtube videos about this place. A wild mix of interesting and tragic stories. I'm not going to lie, I would totally go as a teen if I lived in the area.

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
I went to this place as a kid. Was a shitshow. A friend of mine wiped out on the alpine slide and was in the hospital for a few days with burns.

Jim

Oct 27, 2017
I have awesome memories of going there dozens of times as a kid with my family and friends... and a small scar on my forehead when someone bumped heads with me and I caught a tooth on the river rapids ride. I'd probably still take my kids.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I'm really interested in this. I hope this documentary digs more into the park than the Knoxville film did.

Didn't Johnny Knoxville do a movie about this? Did it come out yet?

Didn't they make a Jonny Knoxville movie about that place.

Came out a few year ago after well and truly bombing at the box office.

I watched it on Netflix (UK) a few days ago and it's truly awful but it's running time is barely 75 minutes without the credits soooooooo.....

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Where are my East Coast 80's babies at, you know about this place, you probably even got injured here or know someone that has. This was the wildest summertime destination back in the day. But also the most dangerous, cool to see HBO covering it.

Here I am. Still rocking an actual scar from Traction Park!

Tomita

Oct 25, 2017
As someone from the west coast who has enjoyed reading about all the urban legends about this park on the internet for years (I remember there used to be a whole website dedicated to insanity of the park) ... This documentary is pretty good. Not gonna lie, there's a slight tonal whiplash when they talk about one of the victims families and then it just...awkwardly moves on from it. That said, I thought it balanced the "lol this park was so whacky and crazy" and "uh this park was legit fucked up and not okay, people shouldn't be dying..." stuff pretty well. Even though it has the awkward transition with the victim's family, it kinda swings back around to hitting some of the negative points again with a balance of happy nostalgia about the park.

Oct 27, 2017
I went on the aqua skoot, the slide with the rollers, a gazillion times.

The water pool by the cliff jump though, the shaded section, was really refreshing.

The point about the '80's being the last decade of unsupervised childhood, is true. No common mobile phone tech, no internet, no hundreds of tv channels, and sometimes no A/C. You went out and didn't come back until night. Or you worked and went out at night...somewhere, almost anywhere. Basically, what that guy was saying about what you did this weekend - crazy/stupid shit, or regular shit like visiting a relative, both would get a non-plussed "Cool." in response.

Last edited:

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
I never knew the reputation of danger when we went. I only found out later when at college I had friends that had worked there and heard the stories.

Deleted member 4874

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My family went every summer. I was born in 85, so I didn't experience the mayhem as I was doing bumper boats or whatever, but I remember the commercials so vividly. One of my older brothers had somebody fall on to him because one of the "rides" was cliff diving. Basically teens jumping 30-40 feet onto people in a pool of water below.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Defunctland did an episode on this a few years ago.

I'm interested in what the HBO series actually brings to the table that this defunctland didn't. It kind of looks like they're going really heavy into the built up mythology of the park but I questions whether having a bunch of interviews of people saying all the crazy things they heard growing up is really all that engaging.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
See from the building to the riding of it, shit doesn't make a lick of sense to me.
Yeah I rode Verrückt before the kid had his accident, and it was scary as hell. Turns out that could have happened to anyone, and everyone who rode it was lucky, but because of how it was built, it was bound to happen to someone. Really messed up.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit I remember reading all about this on a wikipedia dive way way back. There were some askreddit threads that had some testimonials about this place too, absolutely wild stories from employees.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing commercials for this place all the time as a kid and even at a younger age I was all "nah, fuck that".

Tomita

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in what the HBO series actually brings to the table that this defunctland didn't. It kind of looks like they're going really heavy into the built up mythology of the park but I questions whether having a bunch of interviews of people saying all the crazy things they heard growing up is really all that engaging.

The HBO doc actually has multiple ex-staff members being interviewed, which I don't recall the Defuctland episode having access to (only watched it once when it originally came out).

It's also not a series but one 90-minute documentary.

Though it's true Defuctland is some quality fucking content putting most "official" documentaries to shame.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Documentaries aren't just about facts. They are about a point of view. Defunctland did a great job covering the history, but they were never there. So yes the interviews can be engaging.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I only went years later, but before they started to fully sanitize it like it has been as of late (but still years after the loop slide, though my brothers grew up in that era for it). Even then, there was still a lot of fun to be had, from the cannonball slides, to the cliff jump. Nothing quite like it.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Saw the defunct land vid on this a few year back, was great seeing more of it. I can't believe this place was real.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I never heard of this place but I gotta watch this. I like the line:

You shouldn't have to be the second person to die in the wave pool. Close the fucking wave pool!

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, they made a documentary on this place? I've always been fascinated by it; must watch.