• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You really don't have to for the first couple of centuries of the Empire. The first century especially is extremely well documented until the end of the civil war in 69. It also has any number of colourful characters and political intrigue they could work with.

In fact, why nobody's made a movie or show about the civil war yet is beyond me.

I guess but the hook of the show was that you had the intermingling of the plebes and nobles, plus showing regular roman daily life.

Hmm that's more information about the people they were based on than I thought existed.

Oct 27, 2017
I really loved Rome. See how well that was done gave me serious hope that HBO would knock A Song of Ice and Fire out of the park. Well, they didn't. But Rome is still fucking amazing. I would kill to see how the series would have gone with the 5 season plan. Especially how they'd do the 5th season.

THIRTEEN!

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What was so impressive was the sets on Rome. It looked dirty and they really got the feel of the era.

The first season is a gem. Too bad the 2nd season was rushed.

Sykdom

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
California
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The second season was not great, I want more.. They would need massive funding

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
It was supposed to be 4 seasons. They crammed all of the last 3 into season 2. Shame. I feel like had it aired today it would have had ratings to sustain. Or HBO could afford it and not depend on BBC which pulled out.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Someone, at some point, will realize that there are tons of great stories from the Byzantine era and do something with it.

Maybe.

Please.

Medieval Roman, please! But yes, unfortunately it's an era that is basically ignored. If they ever do it it would probably be about Justinian reconquests or something connected to the Crusades. Although I'd also love to see either the last Roman Persian war or the reign of Basil II.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As a Barcid, this shows offend me
please please bring it back.. It was soooo good

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Medieval Roman, please! But yes, unfortunately it's an era that is basically ignored. If they ever do it it would probably be about Justinian reconquests or something connected to the Crusades. Although I'd also love to see either the last Roman Persian war or the reign of Basil II.

Frankly, most of the Empire is ignored as well. I like HBO's Rome a great deal but it really does get tiresome watching endless adaptations of the fall of the Republic.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Frankly, most of the Empire is ignored as well. I like HBO's Rome a great deal but it really does get tiresome watching endless adaptations of the fall of the Republic.

Alas you're correct. The end of the Republic is probably the most visited period, with the first decades of the Empire (generally focusing of the idea of moral decadence) and Marcus Aurelius being other choices. The fact that early 4th century, as far as I know, have not been visited by a major production is beyond me though. Came on HBO, I want to see these guys on screem:

71ab5a65d657e6a311a21af9d3185058.jpg

Make it happen!

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rome has given me the greatest line ever that I still use.

"I'm not getting out of this bed until I've fucked something!"

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
You guys should watch the Roman empire series on the Netflix to scratch that Rome itch. Its a docu-drama(is that the name for these things) but it's legit amazing. Acting is about on the same level as Spartacus. Each season focuses on a different era.
Season 1 Commodus (hes nothing like the commodus in Gladiator)
2 Caeser (focusing on early days, before Rome series)
3 Caligula (not as orgy filled as I would have liked)

Oct 28, 2017

So more in line with recent academia then? Commodus gets a bad rap, largely due to the fact that most of the sources are senatorial and/or the ancient equivalent of tabloid newspapers (i.e. the Historia Augusta). More likely, most of his 'megalomania' can be attributed to a systematic propaganda campaign which was apparently quite successful and gained him considerable popularity among the general populace.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
You guys should watch the Roman empire series on the Netflix to scratch that Rome itch. Its a docu-drama(is that the name for these things) but it's legit amazing. Acting is about on the same level as Spartacus. Each season focuses on a different era.
2 Caeser (focusing on early days, before Rome series)
3 Caligula (not as orgy filled as I would have liked)

I've been meaning to give them a chance but I fear Rome spoiled me. I want something with that production value!

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Weird I just said this similarly in another thread, how if GOT came out in like 2003 that Rome probably wouldn't have been cancelled.

Loved it at the time, wonder how it holds up now.

Oct 26, 2017
At the time Rome and The Wire were my two favorite shows. But both suffered from relatively low ratings, remember Sopranos casted a long shadow at the time.

I always held the belief that Rome died so that The Wire could live. I think ultimately it was more important that The Wire was able to conclude its 5 season run but it is a shame Rome ended rather abruptly. It was definitely a test case for HBO that a period/fantasy epic was possible on television.

Thirteen!!!

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Rome was and still is till today one of my favorite TV shows. I loved going on the HBO boards after each show discussing the nuances of the episodes.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
HBO should do a sequel to Rome with a movie like what they are doing with Deadwood and if it is really popular, then maybe more movie sequels or new seasons?

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
dd4v032-b528b91e-f4c2-41b8-9993-aa757ecb618d.jpg

Would love to see an adaptation of Count Belisarius in the style of Rome. Or rather than using Robert Graves' retelling of General Belisarius' service under Justinian, just adapt directly from historical sources.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I know there are better shows out there, but this one might just be my favorite TV show ever made.

Oct 27, 2017
London
346px-Mosaic_of_Justinianus_I_-_Basilica_San_Vitale_%28Ravenna%29.jpg

The era of this guy, Justinian I, the last great Roman emperor to ever live would make a great story, and the Byzantine empire is an empire in history that really goes unrecognized in the west.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HBO needs to do a lot of things that they're never gonna do.

Don't even get me started on Carnivale.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Rome was the game of thrones before game of thrones. Not in popularity of course, but anyone who has seen it (it's only 2 seasons, watch it people!) will tell you that

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Exactly. Maybe saying Game of Thrones would not have been possible without Rome is an overstatement, but I definitely think Rome made it happening easier.
I feel like i've read a piece where Martin said part of the reason he picked HBO was because of Rome, read it years ago. Hope i'm not making that up in my mind lol. One thing is for sure, he did use to watch Rome, he mentioned watching it on his liveblog when it was new

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I feel like i've read a piece where Martin said part of the reason he picked HBO was because of Rome, read it years ago. Hope i'm not making that up in my mind lol. One thing is for sure, he did use to watch Rome, he mentioned watching it on his liveblog when it was new

That would be pretty cool. I do know he had the idea for the Wall while visiting Hadrian's Wall on Britain, which was built by the Romans.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
That would be pretty cool. I do know he had the idea for the Wall while visiting Hadrian's Wall on Britain, which was built by the Romans.
Definite some roman influence, as well as other histories of course. The dragon lords in valyria were known for (besides dragons lol) their straight roads and road network, which is like point 1a when it comes to defining Roman technologies. Although I haven't read the history book he put it out so it could be less of a connection than I think

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I just got to season 2 and Pullo's/Eirene's "relationship" is straight lunacy.

Deleted member 40797

Banned
Mar 8, 2018
I would love to see a series about the Punic Wars or the fall of Tarquinius (and the rise of the Roman Republic). While I love HBO's Rome, it's still too enamored with the classical image of Rome. I want to see some real history, with period-accurate sets, acting and moral dilemmas. Unfortunately, this would be incredibly alienating to modern audiences; hence, it will never receive airtime.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
HBO does have great on going series set in Italy at the moment. My Brilliant Friend is probably their best show alongside Chernobyl at the moment. Jude Law was great as the pope too.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Man Carnivale was so ahead of its time. .. lets reboot that instead. that could do got numbers

i think it'd still be over most people's head. Though maybe not if they emphasized more on the depression era fantasy aspect, less the "carnivale". i think most people thought it was about bearded ladies or whatever and left it at that

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Wish you would all stop making Rome threads, it makes me too sad! Even more so since I've spent this year reading books and listening to podcasts all about the era.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
You know one interesting historical era that is criminally underutilized by high budget TV productions like HBO? The Napoleonic era. I would watch a Rome like drama set in France during the revolution everyday and Sunday.