• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. DirecTV was costing me ~$120 with a contract. There are a ton of subscription services but you're able to mix/match and have as many or few as you want. It is essentially the ala carte dream everyone wanted cable to be.

The reality is people didn't really want ala carte; they wanted everything under one roof for way less money which was an unrealistic scenario to ever think about. The price of media wasn't going to suddenly cost 1/8th the price nor would media companies want to take in 1/8th the revenue they used to make. It's funny how everyone wanted to pick and choose and now that they can pick and choose they complain there are too many choices.

Deleted member 12028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, how is this different from the other apps they have? What's the point? This is like google and chat services...

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna be honest. I tried the app. Maybe they have more content, but the app is pretty much EXACTLY like HBO Now. It's like it was reskinned. It is so hard to get curated content. Unless I'm missing something.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand what this is. How is this any different than HBO Now or Go or whatever? Can't all this be the same thing? Why make something new?

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Wasn't planning on subscribing but apparently I get it for free since I have AT&T Fiber 1 Gig service. Don't have an HBO subscription but apparently it's not required if you're on that tier of service. I've been trying to claim but I'm guessing AT&T is getting slammed because the site has been saying it's down for maintenance the past few hours I've tried.

EDIT: Apparently there's nothing to "claim". You just have to log into HBO Max with your account credentials. Good to go!

Last edited:

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reality is people didn't really want ala carte; they wanted everything under one roof for way less money which was an unrealistic scenario to ever think about. The price of media wasn't going to suddenly cost 1/8th the price nor would media companies want to take in 1/8th the revenue they used to make. It's funny how everyone wanted to pick and choose and now that they can pick and choose they complain there are too many choices.
People wanted A La Carte. But they thought if they were paying $100 for 100 channels, that they would be able to pick and choose between the 10 channels they like and get all that content for $1-2 per channel. That ain't how it is going to work, unfortunately.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
I wish it would show me movies similar to what I want to watch. Like if I pick the movie Daylight I want to see movies Similar to those since my wife likes watching those type of disaster movies

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The lack of availability on platforms is terrible. I can download it on my Sony in my office (Android TV), but on my LG B8 i cant, and neither on the Fire TV i have...so i have to go through my PS4 to watch it in my living room.

The price for the content doesnt feel justified. I have the 14.99 netflix membership for the 4K, but HBO Max doesnt even have 4k. The App UI already feels dated and the amount of content is bad. When you have a dedicated Looney Toons tab and its a total of 5 shows? Thats bad, no Tiny Toon adventures, baby looney tunes is just the musical.
They should just Absorb all of DC Universe, because their DC tab is also terrible.

Atleast i can watch classic MadTv and Whose line though...

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
It's catalog is really lacking. It's missing random stuff. Man of steel missing is strange and they could have sucked it up and put birds of prey on there. Also having random dc cartoons and missing venture bros is stupid.
I did the free trial so I'm trying to finish batwoman and west world this weekend.

Oct 25, 2017
I got an email saying I get this for free for having ATT fiber. I'll check it out eventually. If I can re-watch the Wire I'm happy.

edit: Activated. They have a ton of Studio Ghibli on here, that's nice.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Exactly. DirecTV was costing me ~$120 with a contract. There are a ton of subscription services but you're able to mix/match and have as many or few as you want. It is essentially the ala carte dream everyone wanted cable to be.

Unless you like sports. That's the one thing cable/satellite still has you over the barrel with.

Additional data from Tech crunch article.
OP
OP
Jul 4, 2018
Apparently the exact figure was a little under 87,000 new downloads. Here is a couple of paragraphs from TechCrunch giving some important context including comparing download versus a regular day and total lifetime download figures for the HBO NOW/MAX versus Netflix, Hulu and Disney+

Sensor Tower acknowledged that these numbers do not include people who simply updated their old HBO app, but it offered another way to look at yesterday's performance: Previously, HBO Now was averaging 16,000 new installs every day, so that's 71,000 more downloads than normal.

It's also worth noting that as I write this on Thursday afternoon, HBO Max is currently No. 2 among "free" apps in the App Store, behind Zoom but ahead of YouTube, Netflix, TikTok and Disney+.

Sensor Tower estimated that HBO Now and Max have been downloaded by 33 million people since launching in April 2015, compared to 260 million for Netflix, 120 million for Hulu (both Netflix and Hulu were measured starting in January 2014) and 50 million for Disney+.

Source:
techcrunch.com

HBO Max was downloaded by 87K new users yesterday (Sensor Tower) | TechCrunch

How did yesterday's launch of HBO Max go? We don't have official numbers from WarnerMedia, but app store intelligence firm Sensor Tower says HBO Max was

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Almost everyone I knew had no idea what was even under the AT&T/Time-Warner umbrella. There's so many large groups that own all of these smaller media companies, it gets hard to remember who even owns what. Well, Disney made it easy. HBO just like "...we got Friends!!"

Time Warner has far more media brands than Disney, they're just not as front facing which is why they're not easy to remember.

Prior to AT&T acquisition of Time Warner, the media conglomerate was so much more complex because Warner Bros, HBO and Turner operated as independent divisions of Time Warner with little to no cross-pollination.

But ever since the acquisition was finalised, Turner as a company was dissolved and all the WarnerMedia television assets in Turner were split between Warner Bros, WarnerMedia Entertainment and WarnerMedia News and Sports.

So now they're making an active effort to make the different brands in the WarnerMedia umbrella more memorable through HBO Max.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
Why do they keep signing fucking licensing agreements with other providers in Europe. I would be tempted to sign up to a HBO streaming service, but there's none in Ireland/UK and I don't know why they do it. At least, I wish they'd sign their shows over to Amazon or Netflix here, rather than Sky or whatever. HBO really are fucking backwards.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Why do they keep signing fucking licensing agreements with other providers in Europe. I would be tempted to sign up to a HBO streaming service, but there's none in Ireland/UK and I don't know why they do it. At least, I wish they'd sign their shows over to Amazon or Netflix here, rather than Sky or whatever. HBO really are fucking backwards.

its the downside of being a cable channel that has had longstanding contracts with other country's providers. I fucking wish we got this in Canada for instance but our telecoms companies are ensuring its never happening.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Time Warner has far more media brands than Disney, they're just not as front facing which is why they're not easy to remember.

So now they're making an active effort to make the different brands in the WarnerMedia umbrella more memorable through HBO Max.
They are also super tied to their respective cable networks which also complicate things...

It requires people to make the connection of Media IP--> Cable Network--> WarnerMedia--> HBO MAX requiring several degrees of knowledge and links, versus Disney+ which is way more straight forward since their IPs are so well-advertised as being part of the Disney+ platform (which simply includes everything Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars and NatGeo, all of which are very closely tied to their respective media IPs)

There is also so much history in WarnerMedia that people need to know to understand the full value of this service... Like TCM, who here even knows that that cable network includes not just old Warner movies but all the classic movies from pre-1986 MGM and RKO as well? They can't just advertise "TCM" and be done with it because they really need people to know what it even means, but its not a message that can easily be relayed when every other brand they throw on the service has similar issues.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This article is confusing, do they just mean new paid subs? Because the Android app page alone says 10+ million downloads already.

Anyway, I dig the app, for whatever reason it seems to be rare for a video app to actually be organized well and this one seems to be.

OP
OP
Jul 4, 2018
This article is confusing, do they just mean new paid subs? Because the Android app page alone says 10+ million downloads already.

Anyway, I dig the app, for whatever reason it seems to be rare for a video app to actually be organized well and this one seems to be.
The HBO MAX app was originally the HBO Now app.

From the TechCrunch article I thread marked:

"Sensor Tower estimated that HBO Now and Max have been downloaded by 33 million people since launching in April 2015, compared to 260 million for Netflix, 120 million for Hulu (both Netflix and Hulu were measured starting in January 2014) and 50 million for Disney+."

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
The only way for me to get any HBO shows in Canada is by also subscribing to a Bell Media streaming service - Crave (and that is a steaming pile of dogshit). Let me subscribe directly if you want my money.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
That's just mobile downloads and doesn't include the 5 million existing HBO Now subscribers (like myself) or *ahem* 100 million cable subscribers who receive a sub at no cost.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Looking at my commercial app intelligence account, the article seems a little premature as there is only one day worth of data from the launch and it is a pretty steep spike that obviously hasn't peaked. I expect Apple and Google featuring for it only kicked in today too. Worth waiting a few days to actually see where the curve goes.

For reference, during what I guess was the end of Game of Thrones last year, the HBO Now app looks like it was peaking at about 190k downloads a day in the US.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
There isn't 100 million cable subs in the US right now let alone 100 million HBO cable subscribers, I thinks it's somewhere around 25-30 million.
It was 43 million cable subscribers in the US as of last December and 142 million globally as of 2017 but both those numbers are probably down... Though not to the degree you are saying.

OP
OP
Jul 4, 2018
It was 43 million cable subscribers in the US as of last December and 142 million globally as of 2017 but both those numbers are probably down... Though not to the degree you are saying.
Sorry the 25-30m figure was for HBO subs through Cable which is a guess on my part. The US number you have seems right, no point in looking at global subs at the moment as this is a US only service.

Edit: just realised you're probably mean Pay TV subs not just cable but satellite as well in which those numbers make much more sense for HBO, and my guess is probably still roughly in line as I'd think Cable would have a higher share than satellite.
Looking at my commercial app intelligence account, the article seems a little premature as there is only one day worth of data from the launch and it is a pretty steep spike that obviously hasn't peaked. I expect Apple and Google featuring for it only kicked in today too. Worth waiting a few days to actually see where the curve goes.

For reference, during what I guess was the end of Game of Thrones last year, the HBO Now app looks like it was peaking at about 190k downloads a day in the US.
Good to hear that they are ramping, hopefully they can get some steady growth over the next few days or weeks.

Last edited:

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
$15/month and you don't even get live TV of the HBO and Warner channels.

jw6kF41.gif

HBO Go/HBO Now/HBO Max is such a ridiculous product segmentation strategy. I can only imagine the senior management debating that this is a good idea.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
$15/month and you don't even get live TV of the HBO and Warner channels.

jw6kF41.gif

HBO Go/HBO Now/HBO Max is such a ridiculous product segmentation strategy. I can only imagine the senior management debating that this is a good idea.
Why would I need Live HBO? For what reason? When it becomes available on HBO's TV channels, it becomes available on HBO Max.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Not only are the HBO stations pretty much useless for anyone that has access to the app, it's the same price as vanilla HBO. So it's more content for the same price, I don't really see what's the complaint.

Obviously if they want to grow at an insane rate they can give it away like Disney, but there are complaints there too.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Not only are the HBO stations pretty much useless for anyone that has access to the app, it's the same price as vanilla HBO. So it's more content for the same price, I don't really see what's the complaint.

Obviously if they want to grow at an insane rate they can give it away like Disney, but there are complaints there too.

They are giving it away free with some of their AT&T data packages.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little disappointed in the launch.

I already had HBO Now through my Hulu account (so it's all viewable in one app). I did get the free upgrade to HBO Max, but I'm really pissed off that I had to download the HBO Max app separately still to view the new content. All the original HBO content is still viewable in my Hulu app, but to see any of the new content I have to load up the HBO app. It's a fucking mess.

On top of that, I was under the impression HBO Max would have new episodes of CN, Adult Swim, other Warner owned shows the day after they air. Apparently not, since there's still no Rick and Morty season 4 on there.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
They are giving it away free with some of their AT&T data packages.

Weren't some of these already getting HBO free with their data? I know I was, although maybe that promotion ended and I was just grandfathered in. Still that's mainly more corporate synergy (I imagine) rather than Disney paying Verizon, but I don't know what the cost really is.

I'm a little disappointed in the launch.

I already had HBO Now through my Hulu account (so it's all viewable in one app). I did get the free upgrade to HBO Max, but I'm really pissed off that I had to download the HBO Max app separately still to view the new content. All the original HBO content is still viewable in my Hulu app, but to see any of the new content I have to load up the HBO app. It's a fucking mess.

On top of that, I was under the impression HBO Max would have new episodes of CN, Adult Swim, other Warner owned shows the day after they air. Apparently not, since there's still no Rick and Morty season 4 on there.

I'm not sure why you thought they would get day one new episodes? It's basically similar to Disney+ not having all of the Disney Channel/XD/Nat Geo stuff on day one, I imagine they still have to make their channels viable for the cable companies to carry.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why you thought they would get day one new episodes? It's basically similar to Disney+ not having all of the Disney Channel/XD/Nat Geo stuff on day one, I imagine they still have to make their channels viable for the cable companies to carry.
It makes sense I guess. I just thought I saw promotions about "all Rick and Morty episodes" or something along those lines that I probably interpreted as the new season included, since S1-3 have been on Hulu forever anyway.

I'm mostly just still bitter that it's impossible to watch S4 still, after all this time, without a cable subscription.

My bigger complaint is definitely that I can't access all of the content from within my Hulu app anymore.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, this isn't on Roku?! I kept waiting for the app to swap over. Why would you launch an app without making sure it's on the world's biggest streaming platform?