• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HBO GO, HBO NOW, HBO MAX

Could HBO have made it more confusing?

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Disney launched with Mandalorian. Max launched with Love Life. Yeah. With that said, as an adult, HBO Max beats the living hell out of Disney+.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
Good. I like the content they have so far but hopefully news like this will push them to get more show licenses and better original programming in the future.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
"mobile" app downloads also are less of a sign since everyone is at home trying to get them on their smart tvs instead of Quibi which was made for bus rides.
but also without ERA I wouldn't even know HBO max exists and I have HBO...

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Imagine if there was something in which you pay a monthly fee, and get all the channels from every company. That would be so convenient, instead of all these separate services.

Oh wait...

HBO doesn't seem to have the content. They were supposed to launch with a Friends reunion, and that would have been huge for them. Other than that, it seems like there is not much. They also have to merge everything onto this service, and disappear HBO GO, and everything they have.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, however paying billions more for content, giving people the service for free or discounted $12 plans and then only getting 90,000 new sign ups (who used the mobile app) on day one still isn't great in the short term.

It's not the best of times to expect a ton of new users either, but it's not like a brand-new service that just came out. Disney and Quibi were brand, brand-new. HBO is still HBO, but with a bit more (with more trickling out later).

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, however paying billions more for content, giving people the service for free or discounted $12 plans and then only getting 90,000 new sign ups (who used the mobile app) on day one still isn't great in the short term.
The point is....your op doesn't really accurately explain the situation. Like does it count those that downloaded now the day before, to upgrade to max? It just seems like alot of context is missing.

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
I mean, I intend to subscribe eventually, but like many people I have no clue in what form it's available to me. All I know is I subscribe to HBO through Amazon and that apparently currently means jack shit to HBO.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I would so gladly trade Disney+ in Canada for this, the breadth of content they have is dope. I can see why the pricing and the confusing name they went with has led to a slow start for them though

OP
OP
Jul 4, 2018
The point is....your op doesn't really accurately explain the situation.
It's explained in the article "The SensorTower data on HBO Max isn't complete, since it focuses only on mobile-app downloads and excludes other ways that people can get the service, such as through a cable provider. It also doesn't count people who got a free upgrade to HBO Max from the previous streaming app HBO Now, which had the same monthly fee."

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, exactly. The whole point of all this is to attract new money.. that makes this a much more meaningful number to me than if it were 1.5 million downloads -- and 99.6% of them were HBONow upgrades.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Most people here thought it would be a disaster, but who could have expected it to be this bad?

All they had to do was what Disney did

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
This is fucking HBO/Time Warner. It'll be fine.

That number has some huuuuge caveats, don't think we can go off it.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
There are only so many streaming services people are going to sign up for because there is only so much media to consume by a person or a family. This isn´t the days of getting the Golf Channel weather you wanted it or not. Having said that I don think HBOMax will have much trouble in the long run, I think it´ll be more the ¨Peacocks¨ that will have trouble.

Last edited:

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
It's explained in the article "The SensorTower data on HBO Max isn't complete, since it focuses only on mobile-app downloads and excludes other ways that people can get the service, such as through a cable provider. It also doesn't count people who got a free upgrade to HBO Max from the previous streaming app HBO Now, which had the same monthly fee."

I'm talking about the title and what you posted. It's what you wrote ignored the key parts.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I am completely out of the loop, but I have no idea what the hell HBO is doing.

They have HBO Go. HBO Now. And now HBO Max. I couldn't tell you what any of these services are.

I'd guess there are a lot of consumers confused with this.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Maybe if they're marketing wasn't so fucking confusing..

I keep up with TV news on a daily basis and I was still confused and had questions with some things going on with HBO Max, so I can't imagine how confusing it must all be for those who don't keep up with this stuff.

I still signed up for it. It's pretty neat. I'm loving the new Looney Tunes cartoons.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Yeah, exactly. The whole point of all this is to attract new money.. that makes this a much more meaningful number to me than if it were 1.5 million downloads -- and 99.6% of them were HBONow upgrades.

yup. another way to look at this metric would be labeling it "new subscriber demand" and, by that measure, it is not very promising

I'm sure demand will go up over time, especially once it gets onto more platforms. (personally waiting for the Roku app myself) but this does seem like a fairly lukewarm early reception to the service.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
I am completely out of the loop, but I have no idea what the hell HBO is doing.

They have HBO Go. HBO Now. And now HBO Max. I couldn't tell you what any of these services are.

I'd guess there are a lot of consumers confused with this.
HBO Go is what has been provided by internet and cable companies as an extra if you sign up. HBO Now is a stand alone service you can pay $15 for. Each had the same content.
HBO Go and Now have been retired for HBO Max which is $15. So everyone who previously had any type of HBO subscription now has HBO Max.

I don't know how many people had Hbo Go. But as of early 2019 HBO Now had 8 million subscribers. So at minimum HBO Max has 8 million subscribers right now, but the actual number is likely a lot higher.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
"mobile" app downloads also are less of a sign since everyone is at home trying to get them on their smart tvs instead of Quibi which was made for bus rides.
but also without ERA I wouldn't even know HBO max exists and I have HBO...

You say that but streaming and video chat apps have shot up to the top of the charts on both iOS and Android. People still watch stuff on their phones, just not as much.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Not entirely surprising. I think it will be fine in the end but the launch was confusing. The product itself is confusing to most people I've talked to about it. And most importantly, the price is bad.

It should have launched at a much more competitive price like Disney+ did.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The fact this isn't counting HBO Now subscribers who upgraded basically makes the number pointless. Max is an upgrade to an existing product. D+ & Quibi were new products. Obviously the latter has higher day-one installs than the former, because the former could already be installed on the customer's phone.

Oct 27, 2017
The fact this isn't counting HBO Now subscribers who upgraded basically makes the number pointless. Max is an upgrade to an existing product. D+ & Quibi were new products. Obviously the latter has higher day-one installs than the former, because the former could already be installed on the customer's phone.
Pretty much. We know for a fact Max already has at minimum 8 million subscribers just from Now. Once one of their bigger originals come along, they'll start to bring in more new subscribers.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
HBO Max has 2 monsters IPs under there belt that will get them subscriptions and they didn't use either. If they launched with a Harry Potter show or a game of thrones show they would have done numbers. Disney + has the mandalorian and the promise of future marvel shows. They used their big guns to sell their service.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Pretty much. We know for a fact Max already has at minimum 8 million subscribers just from Now. Once one of their bigger originals come along, they'll start to bring in more new subscribers.
Exactly. Plus from this point on, any new HBO content becomes a reason to subscribe to HBO Max. Their subscription numbers are going to reflect the content available on the service - just like HBO.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is mobile stats only as well. So your TV download wouldn't have counted anyway.
This is fucking HBO/Time Warner. It'll be fine.

That number has some huuuuge caveats, don't think we can go off it.
Best service out there, This article is misleading since they have millions of customers because Now got swallowed by MAX,

lol trying to make it seem that Quibi is somehow beating it