• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
HBO Max is looking to make original DC Comics-based content outside of the U.S. for the first time.

Casey Bloys, Chief Content Officer, HBO and HBO Max, revealed that it was exploring what DC-related content it could make outside of the U.S. based on its library of genre titles.

This would build on HBO Max's upcoming DC series including Peacemaker, a spin-off of James Gunn's upcoming Suicide Squad movie starring John Cena and spin-off of Matt Reeves' upcoming Batman film as well as its DC Universe originals such as Doom Patrol, Harley Quinn, Titans and Swamp Thing, which air on the streaming service.

"We're also going to work to see DC content in other countries outside of the U.S," he said at the virtual Web Summit conference.

Bloys, who took oversight of programming for the streaming service in August, said, "One of the big themes of bringing HBO Max together was breaking down the silos between HBO, Warner Bros and TBS and TNT. I'd say one other silo was international."

HBO has been producing original series in Europe, Latin America and Asia for a number of years with series including Czech crime drama Wasteland, Polish conspiracy drama The Pact. Taiwanese supernatural thriller The Teenage Psychic and raunchy Brazilian mystery La Vida Secreta de las Parejas.

"One of the things that we're going to do with Max is that all of our international productions will eventually live on Max and we're going to do a much better job of co-ordinating between all of the folks programming in Europe, Latin America and Asia so if there's anything that we're developing that has real cross-border appeal, we'll be able to highlight that," he said.

This comes as Head of HBO Max Global Andy Forssell revealed that it would start rolling out the HBO Max service in Europe next year, building on its plans to launch mid-year in Latin America.

"We will and need to be a global service. It's an imperative to achieve scale," Forssell said. "In the second half of 2021, you'll see us start to upgrade some of the existing direct to consumer HBO services in Europe to HBO Max, double the content, a lot more capabilities, so by the end of the year both of those regions will be very active. The plan is to be in 190 countries, it's just how fast can we do that roll-out."

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Planet DC is reborned
70751-3791-103749-1-flash-annual.jpg

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'm there when they make it available in the UK. Some baffling decisions to not make it available here yet.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Hey comic book experts! List me some popular Germany based DC superheroes to look forward to.

If I remember correctly 30% of their library has to be German or French language productions if they want launch in those countries.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Forssell said. "In the second half of 2021, you'll see us start to upgrade some of the existing direct to consumer HBO services in Europe to HBO Max, double the content, a lot more capabilities, so by the end of the year both of those regions will be very active. The plan is to be in 190 countries, it's just how fast can we do that roll-out."

This seems to be new and as important as the rest of the article.

navanman

Oct 27, 2017
Dublin
I'm there when they make it available in the UK. Some baffling decisions to not make it available here yet.
Sky and HBO have an exclusive distribution deal with Sky Atlantic that Sky depend on heavily for customer retention.
I would guess HBO will not renew the deal and look to launch their own service and pocket all the money..

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm ready to see Costa Rica's most iconic* comic book hero in live action!

ElSabanero.jpg

Why yes, the Machete IS his superpower.

*It's the only one
**It's not good.

May 24, 2019
I'll direct the Tuatara film from New Zealand.
dc.fandom.com

Tuatara

Tuatara is a super-hero and a member of the Global Guardians. His name is taken from a reptile endemic to New Zealand, his home country. He was born with a third eye that allows him to see into the past and future, assisting him in combat. Queen Bee of Bialya later brainwashed him into fighting...

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sky and HBO have an exclusive distribution deal with Sky Atlantic that Sky depend on heavily for customer retention.
I would guess HBO will not renew the deal and look to launch their own service and pocket all the money..

They did renew, it was set to expire in 2020 but extended another 5 years so 2025 unless they get an out. However if you subscribe to Sky you will likely get this content but shame the streaming service won't be a thing in Europe yet out of maybe a select place or two that isn't dominated by Sky.

Oct 25, 2017
They need to make these international, it would add a load of value to the subscription for something HBOMax would own anyway.

I'd watch a Batgirl of Hong Kong in a heartbeat.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I'm down for international versions. And go full out. Give us a Japanese Superman. Muslim Batman. South American Flash. Make shows in each country for each of these heroes even. And make them the main versions, not just "Bruce Wayne's Friend, Shoji!". Make them the Bruce Wayne of their country. Use international crews, make movies and TV shows both as if these characters were created FOR that country. Then give us subtitled versions here in America.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not up to snuff on DC as I should be. Is there an Alpha Flight equivalent?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yes this was the baffling decision I was referring to. They renewed this deal very recently, essentially scuppering any hopes of launching HBO Max in the UK any time soon.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
Talk is cheap. We'll see what they offer, when they offer it and where they will offer it.
Yes this was the baffling decision I was referring to. They renewed this deal very recently, essentially scuppering any hopes of launching HBO Max in the UK any time soon.
The best we can hope for is that Sky integrates this stuff into their service at little cost.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
They did renew, it was set to expire in 2020 but extended another 5 years so 2025 unless they get an out. However if you subscribe to Sky you will likely get this content but shame the streaming service won't be a thing in Europe yet out of maybe a select place or two that isn't dominated by Sky.

A lot of good European shows they do have are coproductions too, like The Young Pope and My Brilliant Friend with Sky, and His Dark Materials, Industry, I May destroy You with BBC. I guess you are Not going to get those on a HBO streaming service in those countries.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm down for international versions. And go full out. Give us a Japanese Superman. Muslim Batman. South American Flash. Make shows in each country for each of these heroes even. And make them the main versions, not just "Bruce Wayne's Friend, Shoji!". Make them the Bruce Wayne of their country. Use international crews, make movies and TV shows both as if these characters were created FOR that country. Then give us subtitled versions here in America.
Nah make them separate versions and then have teamups for a big draw.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
HBO Max in Europe is welcome. Wonder what will happen with Sky Atlantic. HBO content in the UK has been exclusive to Sky for 10 years, will they take that away from them?

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
dc.fandom.com

Kiran Singh (New Earth)

Kiran Singh aka Solstice is a light powered hero and a member of the Teen Titans. Kiran Singh lived with her parents Vijay Singh and Rani Singh in Delhi, India. They were both brilliant archaeologists who travel to various dig sites around the world. On a trip to the Archaeological Conference in...

Give her the Ms. Marvel treatement, DC.