• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I was watching Adventure Time on Hulu and then switched over to Max and... my god. The picture quality is so much worse on Max. For a CARTOON, nonetheless. I honestly feel like I'm watching it in 480p.
On Apple TV I see the exact opposite. There's all kinds of aliasing in Adventure Time on Hulu, but not on HBO Max. In Hulu's favor though, the colors pop way more in the Hulu versions whereas on HBO Max its incredibly muted.

FanceeLadd

Jan 17, 2020
On Apple TV I see the exact opposite. There's all kinds of aliasing in Adventure Time on Hulu, but not on HBO Max. In Hulu's favor though, the colors pop way more in the Hulu versions whereas on HBO Max its incredibly muted.

Interesting. I'm sure which device you're using makes a big difference. I'm using the stock Vizio app for Hulu and Chromecasting to the TV for HBO Max. I know Chromecasting in general tends to not result in the best picture quality, but since an HBO Max app is not available on my Roku stick yet, that's basically my only option.

I definitely see the same issue with color range, though.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Interesting. I'm sure which device you're using makes a big difference. I'm using the stock Vizio app for Hulu and Chromecasting to the TV for HBO Max. I know Chromecasting in general tends to not result in the best picture quality, but since an HBO Max app is not available on my Roku stick yet, that's basically my only option.

I definitely see the same issue with color range, though.
Despite the aliasing, I prefer the Hulu version for the superior colors. The issue with colors on Max isn't confined to just AT, it's across the board. I hope they work out all of these issues before I decide to subscribe again. They're charging the most of any service out there, and providing so much less than most (no 4k, no roku/Fire TV support, muted colors, a pretty much unusable PS4 app etc etc).

FanceeLadd

Jan 17, 2020
Despite the aliasing, I prefer the Hulu version for the superior colors. The issue with colors on Max isn't confined to just AT, it's across the board. I hope they work out all of these issues before I decide to subscribe again. They're charging the most of any service out there, and providing so much less than most (no 4k, no roku/Fire TV support, muted colors, a pretty much unusable PS4 app etc etc).

They have exactly until I reach the end of the David Tennant era of Doctor Who to get their act together. (Rewatching that one with my daughter.)

Aisod

Mar 21, 2020
When is 4K coming to HBO? It is downright embarrassing that they are still in the stone age of streaming.

Jul 4, 2018
Wait, Hulu has 4k now?
Yes buts it's extremely limited also doesn't support HDR last I checked. More info from the Hulu website below

While Hulu's library of 4K Ultra HD supported content continues to grow, at this time, it's limited to a select list of programming, including most Hulu Originals. HD programming can be watched on most supported devices with the latest Hulu app. 4K Ultra HD programming is currently available on:

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else having syncing issues specifically with Close Enough (using Xbox app)? At the halfway point it seems to desync and stay desynced... I watched a movie right after on MAX and tried another show and had no issues. Tried the show on my phone app and it's also ok. Any ideas?

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else having syncing issues specifically with Close Enough (using Xbox app)? At the halfway point it seems to desync and stay desynced... I watched a movie right after on MAX and tried another show and had no issues. Tried the show on my phone app and it's also ok. Any ideas?

Posted about this in the other thread. Seems like others are having the same problem with episode 2 and 3 on reddit. Seems to be happening on certain devices (Xbox app, iOS devices) so try elsewhere.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Posted about this in the other thread. Seems like others are having the same problem with episode 2 and 3 on reddit. Seems to be happening on certain devices (Xbox app, iOS devices) so try elsewhere.

Darn... I've had syncing issues with my setup, so wasn't sure if it was a common issue or not. Had it happen on ep 2 and 4 (that is, part 2 of ep 1 and 2) so far. I did find a work around by just casting it, so that works for now.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Just got access to this today. Any large budget exclusive shows in the pipeline to be excited for? Like LOTR for amazon or foundation for Apple TV+?

Jul 4, 2018
Just got access to this today. Any large budget exclusive shows in the pipeline to be excited for? Like LOTR for amazon or foundation for Apple TV+?
Aside from HBO proper the only big MAX originals of that scale seem to be their DC properties (Green Lantern, Justice lEague Dark etc) but he'd to know for sure as we haven't gotten trailers to show any of those off yet.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any word on Roku or amazon fire stick? Kinda pissed off I won't be able to use this service in my bedroom.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Has there been any word on Roku or amazon fire stick?

Given that Peacock won't be on either platform at launch it seems to me that this could be a long term dispute. It's possible that neither side will budge until HBO Max and Peacock reach a larger critical mass and they'll have more leverage to negotiate with.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to binge watch a couple of things and cancel in Aug if theres no LG/FIRESTICK/ROKU support by then. But honestly probably won't subscribe again until they get 4K HDR for new releases.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little surprised that Airplay or Chromecast isn't sufficient for people for now.