• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
fuck...wait, I'm on Roku...that means I have to use Hulu?

Sounds like no, that won't work from the reply above. I don't think we'll have anything other than the HBO Now app available on Roku. So if you're looking for the Max originals or the non-HBO content (yes, the naming of all this is confusing as fuck!) then you're out of luck with a Roku.

I guess my only option is to plug my laptop up to my TV until Warner and Roku get this sorted out. I find it increasingly worrying that Roku is shifting away from a delivery method to more of a gatekeeper as they've become so ubiquitous in streaming.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
OK, yeah, after looking into this, every reason I had to subscribe to HBO Max when it was announced is gone...I just didn't keep up with the announcements.

CookieMonster

Oct 30, 2017
To anyone asking about HBO Max access on Roku or Amazon devices, you are not getting it until they reach a deal with both companies. Roku and Amazon will also not let Hulu, Youtube TV, ATT TV, or HBO Now subscribers download the standalone app (only place you can access HBO Max content).

Last edited:

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Subscribing through the Google play store won't be limited as subscribing through Hulu, right?

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So tonight at some point, my tvOS (Apple TV) HBO Now app will get an update changing it to an HBO Max app?
No one knows until it happens. Your subscription will 100% rollover, which means you will be automatically subscribed to MAX -- but whether the app will literally change or you will have to download a new one is up in the air. Either way, Now is definitely becoming irrelevant tonight.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
TimeWarner owns AT&T TV, wtf is going on here.
I believe he means users of those platforms cant download a stand-alone app on Roku or Amazon devices. But users of those platforms can download the stand alone app on devices that support it (PS4, Xbox One, Apple TV etc etc). And they'll log into that app using the credentials they currently use to access normal HBO on that other platform. For example, Youtube TV users will need to use their YTTV credentials on the Max app to log in.

CookieMonster

Oct 30, 2017
I believe he means users of those platforms cant download a stand-alone app on Roku or Amazon devices. But users of those platforms can download the stand alone app on devices that support it (PS4, Xbox One, Apple TV etc etc). And they'll log into that app using the credentials they currently use to access normal HBO on that other platform. For example, Youtube TV users will need to use their YTTV credentials on the Max app to log in.
Yeah, thats what I meant. Updated my post to reflect that.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Amazon video quality was ass last time I checked. All rentals and individual show or movie purchases should be done through Vudu

this man knows what's up. Personally I watch on a 10 foot screen and can see quality or lack there of much easier. Amazon is not great. Vudu has best quality and Apple TV would be second.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It looks like Hulu is still the main viable option for Roku users...did any deals happen overnight I missed?
Not for Max. Hulu users have to log into the Max app seperate.
fuck...wait, I'm on Roku...that means I have to use Hulu?
That won't fix the issue, Hulu users will remain working the same way, for Max content you need to log in to Max app with your Hulu credentials. And no App in Roku so no does not solve that.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not for Max. Hulu users have to log into the Max app seperate.

That won't fix the issue, Hulu users will remain working the same way, for Max content you need to log in to Max app with your Hulu credentials. And no App in Roku so no does not solve that.

Yeah, caught that. For shame.

Fingers crossed for an eleventh hour deal. As I stated earlier, I HATE that Roku is trying to assert itself as a gatekeeper for content. It runs contrary to their initial open architecture design where they would accept anything and everything and just serve as a conduit.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, caught that. For shame.

Fingers crossed for an eleventh hour deal. As I stated earlier, I HATE that Roku is trying to assert itself as a gatekeeper for content. It runs contrary to their initial open architecture design where they would accept anything and everything and just serve as a conduit.
Yeah it sucks and seems like an unforced error.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
No HBO Max in the UK due to Sky existing. But they dont have a streaming app, and only way to watch their content is through a cable package... really hate them.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
No Roku app. Of course. It didn't take that long for the streaming customer service experience to become as bad as anything from the cable and satellite industry. Hopefully this is worked out because I want to watch some damn HBO Max.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Is this going be locked to 1080p at a shitty bit rate and no HDR like HBO Now? Probably the biggest disappointment with that service has been the image quality, they need to get their head in the game

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
No one knows until it happens. Your subscription will 100% rollover, which means you will be automatically subscribed to MAX -- but whether the app will literally change or you will have to download a new one is up in the air. Either way, Now is definitely becoming irrelevant tonight.
Right, I knew about the subscription, just not the app. I wouldn't be surprised to see a separate app, given how clumsily the messaging has gone so far.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but think this will be a shit show launch for any given combination of issues:
- Ridiculous naming convention from HBO and not something they can clear up, it's baked into their plan
- No Roku or Amazon Fire support...the top streaming box options for most households
- HBO stream quality is generally bad, and the low bitrate is awful for darker scenes
- No 4K or HDR content
- Shortage of Max originals at launch
- Where are is the app?
- Typical day one server overload, crashing

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Really feeling the lack of HBO content on AmazonPrime. If it wasn't for their indie movie selection I'd definitely cancel it. Still considering it cause I have the Criterion Channel. But I also love The Expanse..
I'm right in the middle of The Sopranos so I'll probably get HBO Max for a couple months, hopefully I don't get hooked cause it's expensive..

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but think this will be a shit show launch for any given combination of issues:
- Ridiculous naming convention from HBO and not something they can clear up, it's baked into their plan
- No Roku or Amazon Fire support...the top streaming box options for most households
- HBO stream quality is generally bad, and the low bitrate is awful for darker scenes
- No 4K or HDR content
- Shortage of Max originals at launch
- Where are is the app?

- Typical day one server overload, crashing
Hmm dunno about those three. Sure 4k or hdr would be nice, but i mean it's the content that matters, right? While there maybe a shortage of originals at launch, they seem to have more than enough content to hold over. As for the app, I believe it's just hbonow that will be updated. So you can download that now and wait, or just when it releases just download it as max.