• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
This. That number is hyper-inflated and doesn't represent the actual number of people using the service and also includes all the trials they've given away. Expect to see a massive drop once those trials expire, I suspect you'll see a struggle to retain those numbers without a price decrease.
Why? Netflix standard plan is literally only a dollar less than HBO Max.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
oh absolutely, if I was Disney I'd be doing the same thing to capture that market share. WB is still not going to overtake it or paramount. But families are a huge deal.

I mean look at the most streamed movies 7/10 of them were Disney/Pixar
My understanding of that graph is that it omitted most streaming services.

Disney do have a lot of sway with families, but I do wonder how much people are willing to pay. Evidently, the HBO brand is strong enough in the U.K. that Sky are desperate to keep it and would basically die out without it.

Jul 4, 2018
Why? Netflix standard plan is literally only a dollar less than HBO Max.
Haven't they been running $12 promos for the majority of HBO MAXs existence. I think the price point is a legitimate concern, although AT&T plans to alleviate that somewhat by offering an ad supported version of the service similar to what Hulu does with its two versions.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I wonder if they count someone like me who gets HBO Max for free just because I have AT&T Unlimited phone service.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. That is their biggest hurdle. It's just gonna take time for them to get more content / old contracts expire (if they do!)

Unless they're genuinely idiots, I can't see them making any contracts that would have been updated for digital rights last for too long and certainly not in perpetuity.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
Agreed.

If Amazon would modernize Prime TV and actually push the service more internationally and/or devote more resources to it I could see Netflix, HBO Max and Prime all competing.

Disney + will never be a true competitor. Its content isn't diverse enough and the quality just isn't there. It's in its own easily digestible mindless entertainment niche.

I currently have Netflix, a Hulu free sub (8 months), Amazon Prime, Disney Plus and HBO Max. Amazon Prime I'll keep because of my Amazon purchases. I definitely won't keep Disney Plus or Hulu when those subscriptions expire. I use HBO the most.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i thought this was doing poorly as someone who was subscribed to this so its nice to hear its doing well i guess

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still inexcusable that all of their new shows aren't available in 4k and the app is terrible on every device I've used it on. Watching Wonder Woman 84 was not an enjoyable experience at 4k hdr. Constant buffering and refusal to go to 4k despite being available in 4k hdr.

Jul 4, 2018
Depends on how you view it. Max has about 14mil? But HBO subscribers that can use Max are at 60mil. So basically people not using the service they have access too.
I posted this earlier and ill break it down below.
Screen-Shot-2021-01-28-at-7-32-36-AM.png

source:https://investors.att.com/~/media/F...nings/2020/q4-2020/4Q20_Trending_Schedule.pdf
They have 17.2m HBO Max Subscribers, 37.7m are eligible for HBO Max, they have 41.5m HBO/HBO Max US subscribers and it isn't listed here but they have 61m worldwide HBO subscribers.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Power of quality over quantity. I particularly love their classics.

Edit: Same day release is still dumb af and unsustainable move, hope directors don't fall for WB's shit.

Jul 4, 2018
This is great I hope there's a future for same day at home streaming.
Unfortunately for those who want day and date, I don't think that will be the case as they lost over half a Billion dollars just from this quarter due to theatres being closed and choosing to use the HBO Max model.

Its fourth-quarter expenses included "charges of approximately $780 million from the impairment of production and other content inventory at WarnerMedia, with $520 million resulting from the continued shutdown of theaters during the pandemic and the hybrid distribution model for our 2021 film slate," the company said.

source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...r-update?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately for those who want day and date, I don't think that will be the case as they lost over half a Billion dollars just from this quarter due to theatres being closed and choosing to use the HBO Max model.

source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...r-update?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

They sped up their sub goal by 2 years! That's a value of a movie viewed every month for millions of people, right?

We can wait and see but I will cheer and do everything I can to help to allow everyone to experience movies day one, and not just those with the ability to access a theater. VR is finally picking up some steam, there should be virtual day one options. It's a safe, fantastic way to experience movies. It feels social but has degrees of control for interruptions/noisy viewers.

Jul 4, 2018
They sped up their sub goal by 2 years! That's a value of a movie viewed every month for millions of people, right?

We can wait and see but I will cheer and do everything I can to help to allow everyone to experience movies day one, and not just those with the ability to access a theater. VR is finally picking up some steam, there should be virtual day one options. It's a safe, fantastic way to experience movies. It feels social but has degrees of control for interruptions/noisy viewers.
Can't argue with your personal feelings, although much like some don't have access to a cinema others have bad internet, data caps and the cost associated with HBO Max that can prevent them from viewing the newest film so it goes both ways.

As for the economics it doesn't make sense to but out a $150-200m movie, every month or two, for a sub base of less than 20m especially when you have other programming costs for new series etc. Not even Netflix have put out a $200m on their service yet (they have 1 in the works) and they have over 200m subscribers.

Maybe the financial situation of these streamers will change eventually but right now if theatrical revenue does come back (or even a decent proportion of it) I imagine we will still see the biggest franchise films going to cinema first and exclusively. Smaller movies have and will continue to go the streamers and that makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Can't argue with your personal feelings, although much like some don't have access to a cinema others have bad internet, data caps and the cost associated with HBO Max that can prevent them from viewing the newest film so it goes both ways.

No, it doesn't go both ways, I'm not asking for only streaming. Options are best. If the theaters survive and thrive while allowing first day options that's great.

People with bad internet can have the option to download, rent, purchase, cable options, go to a theater etc... I'm not asking for anything to arbitrarily get first dibs. Just options for as many people to see it as possible as soon as possible.

Jul 4, 2018
No, it doesn't go both ways, I'm not asking for only streaming. Options are best. If the theaters survive and thrive while allowing first day options that's great.

People with bad internet can have the option to download, rent, purchase, cable options, go to a theater etc... I'm not asking for anything to arbitrarily get first dibs. Just options for as many people to see it as possible as soon as possible.
Theatres are unlikely to survive and thrive without exclusive films but anyway we should see how things go over the next couple of years and will be able to see how things are playing out by then.

edit: and to reiterate they have lost roughly half a billion dollars doing the day and date release so far. Most other studios have pushed back their major releases. Neither of those really provide confidence that data and date releases can make financial sense.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Theatres are unlikely to survive and thrive without exclusive films but anyway we should see how things go over the next couple of years and will be able to see how things are playing out by then.

edit: and to reiterate they have lost roughly half a billion dollars doing the day and date release so far. Most other studios have pushed back their major releases. Neither of those really provide confidence that data and date releases can make financial sense.

And to reiterate they hit their sub goal 2 years early. So they are offsetting losses in one area with gains in another and you are saying that's a reason to double down on what lost them money.

They added almost 10 million 'activated subs' since September. So 10 million subs x 15 bucks a month times 12 months a year equals 1.8 bil a year increase in sub income added since september

Jul 4, 2018
And to reiterate they hit their sub goal 2 years early. So they are offsetting losses in one area with gains in another and you are saying that's a reason to double down on what lost them money.

They added almost 10 million 'activated subs' since September. So 10 million subs x 15 bucks a month times 12 months a year equals 1.8 bil a year increase in sub income added since september
Disney hit their original goals over 4 years early and Netflix had their best year ever yet you don't see them doing a similar blockbuster approach, it's almost like the pandemic accelerated sub growth. This is clearly a loss leader for Warner, once again the costs of the films are not their only programming costs they also have billions more that they spend on HBO and Max originals.

Also they need to keep those subs for a year for your projections to be correct, we will have to see if that happens and how many more subs they can gain.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I love HBO Max, I think I use it just as much as Netflix. Hulu and Prime are way behind, but still enough to justify them, but I bailed on Disney+. Just not enough on there yet, but I'll probably go back to it once Disney starts flooding it with new content.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
It's the best streaming service out. They have Edm Edd, n Eddy and the damn Wayan Bros! They're actually using their catalog unlike Disney.

Oh shit they have Ed Edd n Eddy on there?

I know some of the Cartoon Network and Adult Swim stuff is hit or miss if they have deals with other platforms. I'm waiting for Venture Bros to get out of Hulu jail to do a full series memorial marathon.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've really enjoyed it. I have most all of the main streaming services and use Max by far the most.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Have they added any other than WW?
They're in the process of updating their back catalog (who knows how long that'll take) but all their day and date premiers are going to be in 4K. I'm assuming their new shows will be in quick order as well. It's a shame they've screwed the roll out so bad as it's one of the best around content wise

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit they have Ed Edd n Eddy on there?

I know some of the Cartoon Network and Adult Swim stuff is hit or miss if they have deals with other platforms. I'm waiting for Venture Bros to get out of Hulu jail to do a full series memorial marathon.
Yup, they added it this month with a few other cn shows. KND is there as well!

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm so looking forward to it launching in the nordics. Have so many series I've hold off on for the past 8 years due to its abysmal streaming quality.

What quality are some of their older but still new stuff like Westworld S1 (which has a UHD Blu-ray transfer), 4KHDR or just 1080p? Ill take anything compared to the 480i that HBO offer now.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is an announcement of an announcement: in the sense that, the headline in a few months will be "HBO MAX Not immune to the frequent churn of customers of streaming services."

EDIT: I need to sub at some point to catch up on Young Justice and maybe some Looney Tunes episdoes.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a 6 month subscription like two weeks ago because I wanted to watch Doctor Who and it was like 20% off or something. I'll cancel before my six months are up. I feel like I watch a lot of TV, thus less time gaming.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
I got access to it with my current phone plan... but i just haven't set it up yet. I'll have to inspect their catalogue to see what's the good stuff they got.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like suicide squad will be a pop culture event in which everybody that is a nerd will be talking about it when it releases, feels special

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
HBO Max is now my most used streaming service. Currently doing a re-watch of the amazing "Person of Interest".

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
After having HBO Max for a month it feels like the only real competitor to Netflix. I have Netflix, Disney+, Hulu and HBO Max but I'll probably end up ditching Hulu and Disney later on this year. I end up watching HBO Max 75% of the time relative to the others.