• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Article
acastro_200602_1777_HBOMax_0003.0.0.jpg

HBO Max has nearly 40 million US subscribers, AT&T disclosed in its first quarter earnings report on Wednesday. Combined with traditional HBO subscribers, the platform has surpassed a 41 million subscriber milestone the company says it didn't expect to hit for two more years. Globally, AT&T says HBO now has more than 60 million subscribers.

People really want to watch new movies and also HBO Max has lots of good quality stuff to watch.

Also not that bad considering that that they haven't launched outside the USA yet.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
The power of Wonder Woman 1984 and Godzilla vs King Kong, but no seriously, this is cool to see and you love to hear good news like this

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Helps a lot that it's just a free expansion of a streaming option that was already worth the price.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I think if hbo max can expand to all markets Netflix is, it'd be the first legit Netflix competitor

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder what it'll be like after like 6 months. wasn't there a deal for 6 months? i bought it myself.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
And ATT has their ammo vs. Nolan/Villeneuve and that could shake up the talk about the theatre only vs. dual launch debate.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Question - is it like Disney+ where I couldn't pay for it even via VPN or will it accept my non-US card? Anyone outside of US can answer?

KillingJoke

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite service honestly. The quality of content is nuts and the picture quality improved drastically on my firestick. The UI is a bit clunky but yeah, no regrets so far.

More 4k content and gitch the stupid samsung deal please.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
neat, now bring all your original programming up to Apple+ quality 4K (which is still substandard, but I'll take what I can get).

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Would have been even higher if it launched in other regions at the same time as well.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've just been sitting here waiting for more new Looney Tunes episodes. I thought they had a bunch ready to go but I still only see the first 10 episodes and that's it.

Oct 27, 2017
It's the best streaming service out. They have Edm Edd, n Eddy and the damn Wayan Bros! They're actually using their catalog unlike Disney.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting this is the combined HBO linear + Max subscriber number

17.2 million is the amount of people actually using HBO Max right now

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
How many of these subscribers are just people who get it for free with their cable service?

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Outside of the clunky user interface, it's my favorite content platform.

Plus it's healthy for the market that streaming services like HBO and Disney+ are doing well.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
HBO already have blanket all-content exclusivity deals with networks in many countries, eg Sky in the UK. Won't this affect their ability to take it outside the US?
Yes. That is their biggest hurdle. It's just gonna take time for them to get more content / old contracts expire (if they do!)

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
Potty it is tied to Bell (or Telus? I forget) and their shitty app in Canada. Sucks to watch beautifully shot HBO shows on the equivalent of a crappy web stream.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
HBO desperately needs to improve the quality of the web browser app, as it is archaic trash, but the content is excellent.

30 Monedas is currently that gooood shit.

Last edited:

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Worth noting this is the combined HBO linear + Max subscriber number

17.2 million is the amount of people actually using HBO Max right now
This. That number is hyper-inflated and doesn't represent the actual number of people using the service and also includes all the trials they've given away. Expect to see a massive drop once those trials expire, I suspect you'll see a struggle to retain those numbers without a price decrease.

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
I wish they'd make most of their content 4k somehow, but as it stands (imo) it is the best streaming service you can get for your money

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
The service is really good in terms of content-from South Park to Sopranos.

IMO Disney really needs to merge with Hulu into one service. Not worth it for me personally after the free trial. Shows you how good their brand power is to be getting those sub numbers.

Axis

Dec 9, 2017
That's good to see, as the service is pretty good. I get it for free since I have gigabit fiber through AT&T, buy it's definitely worth the fee for those who pay for it.

This also helps solidify the dual release with new movies, as it does bring eyes to the product.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I didn't know I had it until I actually looked at my cable bill. It's a good service though, plenty of nice content with a lot more coming in the near future.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to hear it, I've been seeing so many doomsayers saying that this was a service that was going to fail or something.

As far as streaming content goes it has the best originals, and it actually has a rotating catalog of movies that I want to see. Easily the best streaming subscription right now in my opinion.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
My only complaint is I have to watch via my PS5. Put that shit on my LG TV so I can properly enjoy the 4K/HDR content. And then actually make some.