• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Just breaking on the Twitter

From Variety

variety.com

HBO Max Is Launching on Roku, After Device Maker and WarnerMedia Finally Bury the Hatchet

Roku and WarnerMedia inked a deal to bring HBO Max to the Roku platform — a week before "Wonder Woman 1984" is hitting the service.

HBO Max will be live on Roku effective tomorrow, Thursday, Dec. 17, the companies announced.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but both sides claimed they were pleased with finally resolving their differences.

Last edited:

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

WarnerMedia and Roku have finally reached a deal for HBO Max, bringing the subscription streaming outlet to Roku's 46 million active users and filling in a crucial distribution gap ahead of major film releases.

"We believe that all entertainment will be streamed and we are thrilled to partner with HBO Max to bring their incredible library of iconic entertainment brands and blockbuster slate of direct to streaming theatrical releases to the Roku households with more than 100 million people that have made Roku the No. 1 TV streaming platform in America," said Scott Rosenberg, Senior Vice President, Platform Business, Roku. "Reaching mutually beneficial agreements where Roku grows together with our partners is how we deliver an exceptional user experience at an incredible value for consumers and we are excited by the opportunity to deepen our longstanding relationship with the team at WarnerMedia."

deadline.com

HBO Max Seals Deal With Roku, Making Streaming Distribution Footprint Complete

WarnerMedia and Roku have finally reached a deal for HBO Max.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder who met whose terms. I'm guessing Roku wanted that WB collection next year.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Why did they even need to make a deal, to begin with? I would think if you are running a streaming service you want to reach the largest audience possible and not refuse to release on X platform.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Why did they even need to make a deal, to begin with? I would think if you are running a streaming service you want to reach the largest audience possible and not refuse to release on X platform.

I heard it was a fees thing. Like Roku wanted to treat it as a separate app but HBO was going to discontinue their old app and didn't want to pay a new fee. Or something.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Can they get them on non-Samsung TV's next? And add HDR/4K/Atmos one of these years?

Warner's entire approach to this situation has been baffling and self-defeating since day one.

That graph in the other thread about the 20 million people that technically have access but don't use it should speak to how poorly this continues to be. Roku is a big first step, but everyone I know these days simply uses their TV for their apps and Warner has basically locked out a huge chunk of the market with that Samsung deal.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OMG now I can use my subscription so much more!

Oct 26, 2017
Roku can be a pain to make deals with. Combine that with HBO Max being one of the sloppiest streaming launches....It was a bad combo.

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It sounds like Roku won...

Roku, Inc. (NASDAQ: ROKU) and WarnerMedia today announced an agreement to bring HBO Max to the Roku platform. Starting tomorrow, Dec. 17, Roku users will be able to download HBO Max from the Roku channel store and subscribe directly on their Roku device to access all of HBO Max, which includes 10,000 hours of curated premium storytelling from the iconic brands of HBO, Warner Bros., DC, Adult Swim and much more. For users who have already subscribed to HBO through their Roku devices, the HBO app will automatically update to become the HBO Max app, and they will be able to log in using their existing HBO credentials.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking finally! It's absurd it took this long. Wonder if Warner gave in and let Roku put HBO Max content in the Roku Channel or not, the article doesn't seem to clarify.

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
So happy for all you Roku users. I guess Att needs that money to pay off all the pissed off talent lol.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking finally! It's absurd it took this long. Wonder if Warner gave in and let Roku put HBO Max content in the Roku Channel or not, the article doesn't seem to clarify.
From a separate article it sounded like Roku wanted a piece of ad revenue from HBO Max's free ad tier next year. So maybe they gave up that.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Now get the app on LG TVs. I can't believe they had the audacity to try device exclusivity with this app when they ended up moving an entire slate of movies to the service.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
yay I can actually consider getting it now.

Though I wish this had been hinted earlier so I could have bought some AT&T stock :P

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
WW84 will be the first film to support those on HBO MAX

Yeah I heard that, but there is a lot of other content that should be getting it but seemingly won't.

Reading between the lines tells me that since they aren't mentioning it being implemented service wide, or any recent shows being upgraded/new shows up having it, the capability will be there and this one piece of content to showcase it, but little to nothing more for the time being it seems.

superpickleman

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Perfect timing, I just subbed yesterday. I have a fire stick but would prefer to just use the Roku TV built into my TCL.