• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
This graphic is literally showing why they should not mash up the services. These are distinct audiences that want different content experiences. Forcing dissimilar things on each other is like peak GE. The decision making is dumb and cost driven. Their reach will be smaller combined than if it were separate.

No, this shows that there's a potential of shows reaching a wider audience by combining the two services because each leans towards a target demographic. One is less likely to get the other based on that content, but if you merge it together it means it's more likely to get some cross over from those demographics watching the other content. It's saying that merging the two can have a single service that reaches a wider audience as a result.

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
I'm actually looking through it now. There is one with Snoop Dog and another that is titled Tyson Vs Jaws: Rumble on the Reef. I'm dying. At least it's still mixed in with some informative stuff. As others have said, there is also still a lot of for lack of better words, "fearmongering".
It's such strange wipelash to watch a shark show about like migrational patterns and mistaken identity in attacks, you have nothing to fear from sharks, they need our protection and then the next show is like shark attacks on the rise, we interview surfers who have survived two attacks!!!

But a lot of those celebrity shows with "some informative stuff" feel like they are talking to a first grader. They really talk down to both the celebrity and the audience.

Sharks breath under water with the help of gills, pan to the celebrity with the blank expression on their face nodding like they understand what this scientist just said.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I'm super annoyed at having to scroll thru all the Discovery crap…. although ngl I will be mindlessly tuning in to House Hunters International.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

That doesn't make any sense with the Scoob/Batgirl news. Or, like, any of the news they've put out. If they were going to invest more they should have led with that and give examples, instead everything we've seen shows the exact opposite.

I am morbidly curious to see this crash and burn in a way that makes Quibi looks sensible in comparison.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
It's such strange wipelash to watch a shark show about like migrational patterns and mistaken identity in attacks, you have nothing to fear from sharks, they need our protection and then the next show is like shark attacks on the rise, we interview surfers who have survived two attacks!!!

But a lot of those celebrity shows with "some informative stuff" feel like they are talking to a first grader. They really talk down to both the celebrity and the audience.

Sharks breath under water with the help of gills, pan to the celebrity with the blank expression on their face nodding like they understand what this scientist just said.
Back when it first became a thing, I know some teachers used some shows in classrooms, so it kind of makes sense. I can understand some shows targeting a younger audience, but to be fair, Shaq, Snoop and Tyson probably don't bring in those audiences.

marathonfool

Nov 27, 2017
No, this shows that there's a potential of shows reaching a wider audience by combining the two services because each leans towards a target demographic. One is less likely to get the other based on that content, but if you merge it together it means it's more likely to get some cross over from those demographics watching the other content. It's saying that merging the two can have a single service that reaches a wider audience as a result.
Might as well run 90 Day Fiance with a NBA lead in. This is type of content bleed in thinking is what these executives are doing. It only makes the experience worse for the viewer. I'll be canceling my HBO Max as soon as this merges because I guarantee they will increase the pricing.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't make any sense with the Scoob/Batgirl news. Or, like, any of the news they've put out. If they were going to invest more they should have led with that and give examples, instead everything we've seen shows the exact opposite.

Cutting those two products are in line with everything they've talked about today

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Might as well run 90 Day Fiance with a NBA lead in. This is type of content bleed in thinking is what these executives are doing. It only makes the experience worse for the viewer. I'll be canceling my HBO Max as soon as this merges because I guarantee they will increase the pricing.

The price was always going to increase whether they merge the service or not. Appealing to a wider range of people is how you grow the service too. I mean Netflix has built their business off trying to reach a wide audience with a diverse range of content. Why do you think people are so happy they've included a bunch of foreign content? Should they not have done that in order to keep their focus on a specific target audience?

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Will see how the new direction under this Zazlav guy will affect me, but I'm cautiously pessimistic. I'd prefer if movies were available to stream immediately. I don't care bout no cinema. But a shifted release schedule won't really change the value, it'll just arrive 45 days later or whatever.

I tried Discovery+ once. Not for me. I'm more theoretically than actually interested in actively choosing to watch documentaries and such. Reality stuff can go shove itself in the bin. So I can't see how this merge could be a good thing. Wonder if they'll take this opportunity to end my HBO Max lifetime 50% off subscription, because it's technically no longer HBO Max. Or effectively do the same by charging more because now I'm getting access to a bunch of Discovery stuff that I don't value.

Oh well, won't really have to worry about it until some time next year maybe.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018

Cutting costs in one area doesn't mean you don't spend more in others. That's not how it works. They explicitly said they are getting out of big budget movies direct to streaming. That the money just doesn't make sense.

They may still release smaller movies direct to streaming. They will also continue to invest in TV/series. But they don't want to spend 40-80 million on individual movies for a streaming service because its hard to see where you get the money back.

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
Back when it first became a thing, I know some teachers used some shows in classrooms, so it kind of makes sense. I can understand some shows targeting a younger audience, but to be fair, Shaq, Snoop and Tyson probably don't bring in those audiences.
I'm sure they figured out long ago that if you throw a celebrity into the show the ratings go up exponentially. Now It feels like they just pay someone to take a celebrity out on a boat and jump in a shark cage and call it a day. Catering to the lowest common denominator.

marathonfool

Nov 27, 2017
The price was always going to increase whether they merge the service or not. Appealing to a wider range of people is how you grow the service too. I mean Netflix has built their business off trying to reach a wide audience with a diverse range of content. Why do you think people are so happy they've included a bunch of foreign content? Should they not have done that in order to keep their focus on a specific target audience?
You're literally describing the cable business model. I prefer streaming to be as ala carte as possible.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Complete Bull. Not about to pay more for content my wife and I dont need nor want. When the time comes I'll just cancel. Now if they do a free 3 month minimum promo to draw us in then I'll take it then cancel.

I'm not going to subscribe to all these show I just do not want. Except the nature stuff. Love the animal shows.

Also, how are so many people on here supporting the lack of choice?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
You're literally describing the cable business model. I prefer streaming to be as ala carte as possible.

Content being subsidized makes it cheaper for everyone. People keep saying they want a la carte, but most people who say this don't really. Hell you have people complaining about being able to pick and choose their streaming service now which is a la carte but now they complain there are too many because somehow they're required to subscribe to them all.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
I can see Discovery+ subscribers bleeding into HBO. Not vice versa really, but maybe a little and that's okay.

This makes a lot more sense now. It's reasonable and what everyone should have already expected.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Streamlining it into one app makes sense, but I'm not looking forward to a price increase, if any. Also skeptical on future projects/shows.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
From HBO Go to HBO MAX to whatever this will be, in the timeframe that WB/HBO has done it in, is certainly something.
I get HBO MAX through AT&T but I already feared that would go away sometime down the line since AT&T doesn't own it anymore: they already don't offer it to new subscribers anymore, which I only just learned of.
I'm not someone who would be in disbelief that the Discovery content has fans and is popular but it's not my thing. I also have regular-ass cable where my wife watches a lot of those shows already when they air. I'll hate losing the HBO stuff but I won't be going in for this merger service on my own dime.

This put a smile on my face.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
FZWGO4CWYAEIlpV
"The 90-Day Fiance Universe"?

What the actual fuck?

Also, two films does not make Wonder Woman a franchise, and I like Wonder Woman.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I have a permanent 50% discount on my HBO Max sub as long as I don't cancel.

I wonder if they'll shut down the HBO Max service and start a new one to void all those discounts.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
90 Day Fiance Universe lmaaaooooooo you can't make this shit up

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
So what's the strategy here with cutting all of this stuff? I'm very ignorant when it comes to the business side of things.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This graphic is literally showing why they should not mash up the services. These are distinct audiences that want different content experiences. Forcing dissimilar things on each other is like peak GE. The decision making is dumb and cost driven. Their reach will be smaller combined than if it were separate.

Strongly agree. I'm happy with the HBO Max app and I'm not looking forward to this.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
People not understanding why people are annoyed that Discovery Channel shit is going to be thrown into the HBO Max library probably don't understand the appeal of niche collections. I would be pretty miffed if the Criterion Channel merged with any streaming service. You're losing curated touches and devoted attention to specific things when the focus expands significantly, and more pointedly, towards lower cost reality TV programming being added to the mix.

If the service wants more money per month while cutting a large amount of original scripted programming because of the supposed value of reality TV shows, I'm canceling. I'm a movie guy, so I don't really care about television much as it is. It'll be a shame if we lose access to the huge number of films on the service, but I can't imagine the quality of the service will remain as high when the focus is clearly on cost saving over everything else.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
In what world does no one care for Discovery? Lol so sheltered. It has hugely popular shows.
I know this is a few pages back, but I did want to chime in and say that I feel like a lot of the target audience for HBO scripted stuff and Discovery reality stuff probably has some overlap, but not enough that these things being lumped into one group makes any sense.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
People not understanding why people are annoyed that Discovery Channel shit is going to be thrown into the HBO Max library probably don't understand the appeal of niche collections. I would be pretty miffed if the Criterion Channel merged with any streaming service. You're losing curated touches and devoted attention to specific things when the focus expands significantly, and more pointedly, towards lower cost reality TV programming being added to the mix.

If the service wants more money per month while cutting a large amount of original scripted programming because of the supposed value of reality TV shows, I'm canceling. I'm a movie guy, so I don't really care about television much as it is. It'll be a shame if we lose access to the huge number of films on the service, but I can't imagine the quality of the service will remain as high when the focus is clearly on cost saving over everything else.
In what universe is HBO Max "niche"?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's weird to think about Discovery being that big from outside USA. Here in Europe is "that cable channel that years ago was about documentaries and now is realities and aliens". Like the "science" equivalent to History Channel (but both have aliens for some reason)

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I have so many questions...

- the fuck do you mean Male and Female skew

- what the hell is a Genredom?

- Lean In and Lean Back????

- Appointment viewing?????

It's basically saying men want to be intellectually engaged while women want to sit back and consume relaxing unchallenging material

Lmaoooo

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is a few pages back, but I did want to chime in and say that I feel like a lot of the target audience for HBO scripted stuff and Discovery reality stuff probably has some overlap, but not enough that these things being lumped into one group makes any sense.

They are lumping it together because its all under one company now, so when you are trying to launch a large scale streaming service that is able to grow viewership it makes sense to have a diverse breadth of content. They aren't trying to create a niche, specifically curated service. They are trying to compete with the major players and Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney, all have a range of shows from serious dramas to comedies to sci fi, to docs to reality shows. The only difference here is that this time the service is being created out of a merger of multiple services, but ultimately the end result is no different from what every other service is trying to do. Aren't people always pushing for Disney to just merge Hulu and Disney+ already? Thats the same shit. Hulu has as much trashy reality content as Discovery.