• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Clearly it's a joke around here because it's shit programming and this isn't the target demo for it, but step out of your bubble for a minute and realize how big 90 day fiancé is

I can admit to being in a bubble - seeing the graphic for the "90 Day Fiancé Universe" kinda made me want to take a power drill to the side of my own head a la Max in "Pi". I can understand on a logical level that that reality series is extremely popular, but that won't stop the extreme revulsion I feel at the entire premise and everything I have ever seen from the show (out of context or not).

lmog

Jun 17, 2019
Brazil
Will they give this new streaming to people that have HBO on cable? I will be annoyed if they cut that.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not the one who stated something inane about the impacts of reality TV while at the same time saying it's not a problem on a different service when they're equally the same in the fact that both instances you're paying for that content and you don't have to watch it. Don't try to flip this on me that I'm the one who is derailing the thread when it was your comment that started all this.

You got it big hoss

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hate to say it but it is. It is a huge show that is watched by a ton of people and even has a thread on this site. Just cause you are in a bubble doesn't mean these shows aren't huge hits.
Huge =/= iconic

Absolutely hilarious watching "bubble" accusations over lolling at this extremely bizarre placement of reality shovelware next to some of the most loved scripted genre properties in the world but go off

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Dante is NOT
D1OkGvpVsAAtT0Q.jpg
That's the first thing I thought about.

What kinda think tank are they getting a lot of their ideas from? The same guys responsible for the changes in The Real Ghostbusters back in the 80s because they thought Janine was too mean (a sarcastic woman... oooooooo) and her glasses were too pointy, thus TOO SCARY for kids?! "Gotta maker her more motherly because that's what our data says will benefit the show!!!". Me thinks that just because people have a degree in marketing or a powerful place in a company (head suit, producer,...) doesn't mean they are beyond bad ideas. Hell, you can probably chalk down most bad ideas/flops to people saying, "Hey, we did our research, watched the way the wind blew, and put our fingers to the pulse of the trend! We know what the people/kids want! This is gonna be a hit!"

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I can't judge 90 Day Fiancé. It's got a pretty huge following. Plus, I LOVE FBoy Island even though no one watches it. 🤣🤣

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Guy Fieri in Multiversus when

Look if Multiversus doesn't have the Property Brothers, the Cake Boss guy, and Coyote Peterson then why even make the game at all?

im sure Grace shit Randolph is hyped by this CEO, they got the same tastes

🤢

All the DC animation stuff is dead imo, it's clearly something Zaslav has no interest in.

DC being pushed to bail on animation while Marvel hypes up a new Spidey cartoon and the return of 90s X-Men.

Holy shit hell really did freeze over.

john385

Oct 26, 2017
Are we trying to meme it to show how dense some people can be about understanding something so simple?

Are we trying to personally insult other users who are trying to make light of a rotten situation?

Ehhh, I have no horse in this race.
When I read the news, I just shook my head (lightly, mind you…) and made a big *sigh*.
It sure looks like a giant clusterfuck, but hopefully by the time this change reaches EU, more things will become clear.
My ambivalence comes from the fact that I enjoy Netflix @ €9.99 with amazing amount of content here in EU (Croatia, FWIW), got HBO Max locked in @ €4.66 and recently picked up Disney+ for €79.99 a year (it arrived on Jun 14).
A megaton of amazing content for OK price.
I know things are different content-wise in the US, but International licensing is pretty amazing so far.
Sorry for a slight derail, but wanted to give my context.
Carry on.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
This entire thread is hilarious

View: https://twitter.com/azalben/status/1555291898457251844

Hopefully we can filter all the shitty Discovery content in this new "app"

WB is film top shelf, Discovery is one notch above scummy internet clickbait.

It would be like if someone was flying on the best airlines in 1st class, and the captain was like "surprise bitches! We're Spirit airlines! Go fuck yourself back to coach and hope we don't crash, I'm new at this."

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So I'm reading about this and it looks like the services combined currently (HBO, HBO Max and Discovery +) have about 90 million subscribers. They think that with this revamp they can push that to 130 million by 2025.

I'd like to have whatever they're smoking.

Not even being alarmist. I don't see how they expect to cut costs, cut content, raise prices and also have an increase of their subscriber base of about 50% over three years-- all while trying to get everyone to migrate to an entirely different app/service. Who is making these decisions and why are they surrounding themselves with yes people? (I know the answers to both... I'm just saying it to say it I guess.)

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Right, and that's why it's a public laughingstock right now
I highly doubt there is as many people actually following this as you're trying to make out to be for it to be a public laughingstock. That said, this is no different than people being upset of public presentations and announcements at game developer conferences because the information went over their head because they weren't the target audience despite it being public. If people want to be ignorant while they poke fun at something, that's their right but it doesn't change the fact that they're being ignorant about it.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt there is as many people actually following this as you're trying to make out to be for it to be a public laughingstock. That said, this is no different than people being upset of public presentations and announcements at game developer conferences because the information went over their head because they weren't the target audience despite it being public. If people want to be ignorant while they poke fun at something, that's their right but it doesn't change the fact that they're being ignorant about it.
Go look at TV twitter lol

lmog

Jun 17, 2019
Brazil
Clearly it's a joke around here because it's shit programming and this isn't the target demo for it, but step out of your bubble for a minute and realize how big 90 day fiancé is

I have actually never heard of 90 day fiancé, had no idea it was that huge. Might be a US thing, don't think it's big over here in Brazil.

Oct 27, 2017
I want to see if they cancel Doom Patrol. Bunch of old rich white dudes shelving projects with people of color in established character lead roles and then cutting an unashamedly queer positive show would be quite on brand.

Honestly uniting all this content seems like a layup. They actually kept things as it were, you would be getting HBO content, the Max content, all of the popular Discovery+ content, adult and kid/family animation with Cartoon Network, Looney Tunes and Adult Swim, good rotating selection of movies, DC content, et. al. That's a great fucking value and I would keep the subscription indefinitely.

I get that cuts have to be made and you have to be smart with spending when streaming isn't a lucrative opportunity in the short term but I don't see why this couldn't be a National Geographic/Disney+ situation where I can combine all of that into one awesome package. Instead they seem to be making the stupidest fucking decisions with how to do this, and I'm not even referring to the cancellations.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
You don't have to.

Not sure why so many of you are acting like you're going to be forced to watch property brothers
If you don't think consolidation is going to have an effect on pricing, content investments, content focus, and shift the benchmarks of success that will affect those things in the future too, I don't know what to tell you.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
There is a 90day fiancé universe? where the heck did that come from?

I think this is hiding the fact that Discovery has so little in comparison that the only franchise they could think of besides this (which is popular) is Shark Week. Shark Week is popular too, but it's literally just a programming block. Like, literally any other network could go make shark week right now with some B-Roll and narration.

Meanwhile they don't even list Scooby Doo/Hannah Barbara or Adult Swim/Rick and Morty on the WB front.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
In what world does no one care for Discovery? Lol so sheltered. It has hugely popular shows.
I've kinda been thinking this the last couple days internally. Don't get me wrong, I don't like any of this. But it's entirely possible that I'm just drastically undervaluing the popularity of stuff like Top Chef, Property Brothers, anything with Chip and Joanna Gaines, 90 Day Fiance, etc.

So it's not that nobody cares for Discovery. People clearly do. I just don't know if people are willing to pay for it the way they do movie and prestige TV.

This is what affects me here, god damn it. Animation seems to always be one of the first things to gut for these networks, what a bummer.
Just blows my mind that the company that made Bugs Bunny thinks that a smart way forward is without animated content.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sure why not as long as the HBO catalog and current and upcoming HBO content pops up in there.

HBO Max was always a dumb name anyway.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
We need a mod to lock the WBD threads and make a breakdown of this.

Sans the animation news which is very likely.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
I mean the reason why HBO Max is male skewed is probably not because it's scripted and "lean in", but that they marketed the shit out of their male oriented shows. Some of the best female oriented shows on HBO barely get any mention in their marketing. My Brilliant Friend is probably the best show HBO has ever made in history and it gets 0 marketing.

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
Even though I don't watch it, how is Shark Week garbage? It's just a week of educational content every year learning about sharks.
Shark Week use to be educational. But it too is getting pushed into the Discovery reality bullshittery. Now they peddle stuff like watch Shaq cry like a baby near a whale shark or here watch Thor on a boat. Shark Fest on National Geographic was much better imo this past July.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the reason why HBO Max is male skewed is probably not because it's scripted and "lean in", but that they marketed the shit out of their male oriented shows. Some of the best female oriented shows on HBO barely get any mention in their marketing. My Brilliant Friend is probably the best show HBO has ever made in history and it gets 0 marketing.

The slide doesn't indicate any of the info on the cards is causation for anything else on it. It's just the key highlights and insights of how they
marketing views their brands.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Shark Week use to be educational. But it too is getting pushed into the Discovery reality bullshittery. Now they peddle stuff like watch Shaq cry like a baby near a whale shark or here watch Thor on a boat. Shark Fest on National Geographic was much better imo this past July.
I'm actually looking through it now. There is one with Snoop Dog and another that is titled Tyson Vs Jaws: Rumble on the Reef. I'm dying. At least it's still mixed in with some informative stuff. As others have said, there is also still a lot of for lack of better words, "fearmongering".

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the only thing that I've ever consistently watched out of Discovery for all these years has been How It's Made, and it's not even their own programming.

It's so unabashedly Canadian.

marathonfool

Nov 27, 2017
This is quite the graphic!

hbomax.png
This graphic is literally showing why they should not mash up the services. These are distinct audiences that want different content experiences. Forcing dissimilar things on each other is like peak GE. The decision making is dumb and cost driven. Their reach will be smaller combined than if it were separate.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I still think expecting it to get a Season 4 at all is pretty premature. Getting S3 was already tough enough.
I don't think we're getting more seasons of Harley, Doom Patrol or Titans.
I'm not saying it's a given, I'm saying the backlash will be loud if it doesn't. But at the same time, Harley probably has a better shot than the other two given that it's one of the biggest shows on the entire service. I'm pretty sure the only DC HBO Max show that's bigger than Harley Quinn is Peacemaker, which James Gunn already confirmed is safe.

Last edited: