• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
HBO Max has taken the U.S. streaming rights to Japan's Oscar-winning animation house, Studio Ghibli, which reps the first time the latter's content has been licensed to a streamer.

The deal with North American distributor GKIDS includes 21 Studio Ghibli movies: Castle in the Sky, The Cat Returns, From Up On Poppy Hill, Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, My Neighbors the Yamadas, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Ocean Waves, Only Yesterday, Pom Poko, Ponyo, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, The Secret World of Arrietty, Spirited Away, The Tale of The Princess Kaguya, Tales From Earthsea, When Marnie Was There, Whisper of the Heart and The Wind Rises (which is launching in the fall of 2020. Most of these titles will be available when HBO Max launches.

Saw a lot of people asking about these in the Disney+ thread

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
Hah, I just saw an article yesterday about how Ghibli had no interest in selling their library for streaming. This is great news though, HBO Max is looking like a pretty well rounded service.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I wish Netflix would have gone after this though

Might end up replacing Hulu with HBO Max

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's a surprise, figured these would eventually end up on Disney+. Wonder if they'll have the Disney-made dubs or not.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So my streaming service looks like this.

DisneyPlus
HBO Max (hopeful for AT&T unlimited data promo/discount)
Amazon Prime.

Will keep Hulu till 2022-2023 (when many of NBC shows are likely pulled)
Netflix will be dropped until new season of Stranger Things airs (Will binge Last Kingdom/Ozark during that month)

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting. When I look at the stream services I am going to drop, Netflix looks like the most likely.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Glad it didn't go to Disney, heh.

PS Watch The Cat Returns, secret best Ghibli movie

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Missing Grave of the Fireflies and Lupin, though I think both have some sort of weird rights issues.

(Also, Disney hasn't had US home video distro rights to these titles since 2017, they were all taken over by GKIDS at that time)

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Since Disney did the dubs and distribution to US theaters and DVD/Blu-ray... I find this confusing

will HBO Max be streaming the Disney dubs or no?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I think the potential price for HBO Max is/was 15.00$ a month. As a AT&T unlimited data user, I'm hoping to be able to add this for 5.00$ a month (Since we get 'free' HBO now)

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Surprising considering Disney's relationship with Ghibli and their history of dubbing Miyazaki's films.

huge get for HBO.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I personally think HBO Max is shaping up to be a monster of a service.
  • HBO content (The Sopranos, The Wire, Game of Thrones, Westworld, Sex in the City)
  • Turner Classic Movies content (old MGM movies)
  • Cartoon Network / Boomerang / Adult Swim content. (Looney Tunes, The Flintstones, Tom and Jerry, Dexter's Laboratory)
  • Studio Ghibli content
  • Sesame Street
  • DC Comics content (Batman: The Animated Series, The Dark Knight, Wonder Woman, Joker)
  • All of the Warner Bros films (Harry Potter series, The Matrix series, The Departed)
  • Sitcoms like Friends, The Big Bang Theory, Night Court, Gilmore Girls
  • Future content from The CW like Batwoman
After thinking everything over, I'm leaning toward the idea of getting rid of Netflix and replacing it with Disney+ and HBO Max.

To me, Disney + and HBO Max seem like the perfect combination of streaming services. You get Looney Tunes and Mickey Mouse. You get Marvel and DC Comics. You get Star Wars and Harry Potter.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Megalolz at all those ludicrous articles two days ago that were massively overreading into a reaction that was basically "piss off and leave me alone."

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is HBO Max different than HBOGo? Haven't been following this.

Yes, AT&T aims for maximum confusion in naming their services

HBO Go is streaming HBO for cable subscribers
HBO Now is streaming HBO for non-cable subscribers
HBO Max is a general streaming platform that will contain HBO and non-HBO content

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about as excited for this as I am Disney+.

Between this and having all the Crunchyroll content, that's a ton of anime on the service.

This, Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime (since I'm getting the service anyways) seems like the move.

I personally think HBO Max is shaping up to be a monster of a service.
  • HBO content (The Sopranos, The Wire, Game of Thrones, Westworld, Sex in the City)
  • Turner Classic Movies content (old MGM movies)
  • Cartoon Network / Boomerang / Adult Swim content. (Looney Tunes, The Flintstones, Tom and Jerry, Dexter's Laboratory)
  • Studio Ghibli content
  • Sesame Street
  • DC Comics content (Batman: The Animated Series, The Dark Knight, Wonder Woman, Joker)
  • All of the Warner Bros films (Harry Potter series, The Matrix series, The Departed)
  • Sitcoms like Friends, The Big Bang Theory, Night Court, Gilmore Girls
  • Future content from The CW like Batwoman
After thinking everything over, I'm leaning toward the idea of getting rid of Netflix and replacing it with Disney+ and HBO Max.

To me, Disney + and HBO Max seem like the perfect combination of streaming services. You get Looney Tunes and Mickey Mouse. You get Marvel and DC Comics. You get Star Wars and Harry Potter.

Pretty sure Harry Potter won't be on there. Isn't it wrapped up in some other deal, like NBC or sum?

Deleted member 42641

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Its random to acquire a catalog of one of the move beloved movie studios of all time to add to your streaming service in a competitive market ?