• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of excited for this. I'm also curious how they plan to do it; it's a long history that moves through characters pretty fast.

The sad fact is that this series will come out and end before we get TWOW.

Doesn't have much to do with this, since this is set in the past. But, it is worth noting that this book also is incomplete and waiting on a sequel. A sequel that I can only assume will never happen. The history is supposed to cover up to Robert's Rebellion, IIRC, and it stops well short.

So, the show is going to cover the book material and run out...and then what?

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of excited for this. I'm also curious how they plan to do it; it's a long history that moves through characters pretty fast.

Doesn't have much to do with this, since this is set in the past. But, it is worth noting that this book also is incomplete and waiting on a sequel. A sequel that I can only assume will never happen. The history is supposed to cover up to Robert's Rebellion, IIRC, and it stops well short.

So, the show is going to cover the book material and run out...and then what?
The series is only cover Dance of Dragons material, apparently.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
There are so many great television shows I can't fathom jumping back into the Game of Thrones universe after what season 8 was.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
I will watch it for sure, but those images just look like they came from a cosplay convention and decided to take some pictures at the local beach.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The two Targ outfits look cheap. From afar they looked better, the dragonscale pattern looked shiny and chaotic, now it looks like a leopard print. Same with Rhaenyra's pattern, another leopard-like pattern that doesn't make sense. Missed opportunity. The one on Alicent looks more dragon-like. It's weird.
These are set photos, not in-camera screenshots. They'll be lit differently.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Not seeing the complaints with the costumes. They look pretty great to me. Detailed and book accurate, esp for Rhaenyra.

Ear rings also now exist (no one wore ear-rings in GoT).

3229ggkbobx61.jpg

That's interesting, I never noticed there were no earrings in GoT. I thought they existed in the books but can't find any.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
ASOIAF is an incredible incredible story, as were the first 4 seasons of game of thrones. Despite the failures of the later seasons, there is no reason why this show couldnt capture the story as well as game of thrones did. Its a difficult task for sure and I doubt it will be as good as the first 4 seasons of GOT, but you shouldnt dismiss this incredible tale just because the later seasons of GOT were ruined by the people in charge.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Trolling, Antagonizing Other Members Over a Series of Posts; Long History and Numerous Prior Bans for Hostility, Trolling, and Other Inflammatory Behavior
The gaslighting. Good lord.

You were called out in a non toxic manner for contradicting your own advice. Don't accusing me of gaslighting, that's super offensive.

Please stop responding to me if all you are trying to do is upset me or offend me.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
I'm an ASOIAF book fan first and foremost, never cared much for the show at all, but House of the Dragon already, somehow, seems pretty interesting to me. Wonder how much of this series lore/story/characters will be strict to GRRMs written history of the Dance, and what will be changed...

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
These are set photos, not in-camera screenshots. They'll be lit differently.

It will really not look very different at all considering these are shots outside in the sun, official ones too. The pattern on both of them look like leopard patterns, while the Hightowers have what can pass off more as dragon scales. That isn't going to change and I hope it's not going to be a recurring pattern for the Targs, it really looks wrong.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It will really not look very different at all considering these are shots outside in the sun, official ones too. The pattern on both of them look like leopard patterns, while the Hightowers have what can pass off more as dragon scales. That isn't going to change and I hope it's not going to be a recurring pattern for the Targs, it really looks wrong.
Official photos taken by a set photographer though, not taken from the actual camera filming the scene. The lighting on these things is always more blown out than it appears on camera.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Oof. Anyway.

Everyone looks pretty great but Smith's character looks a bit off. I don't know if it's the wig or the fact that I just see Matt Smith.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Definitely looks like some Targaryens. Really excited for more GoT content since we're never getting the books.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
It will be interesting how they adjust the bigger picture stuff with respect to ages of characters. Are they going to have Olivia Cooke play Alicent Hightower and have a grown ass son?

I think they will stick to the Game of Thrones style where there are no big time skips and years are barely mentioned rather than like the Tudors where they tell the story in chunks and at the end you have Jonathan Rhys Meyer (33) and Henry Cavill (27) playing guys who are supposed to be in their mid fifties. ASOIAF isn't real history so they can freely play around with the timeline to suit their needs.

Although if HBO did it Tudors style they could do a better job with make-up.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It will be interesting how they adjust the bigger picture stuff with respect to ages of characters. Are they going to have Olivia Cooke play Alicent Hightower and have a grown ass son?

I think they will stick to the Game of Thrones style where there are no big time skips and years are barely mentioned rather than like the Tudors where they tell the story in chunks and at the end you have Jonathan Rhys Meyer (33) and Henry Cavill (27) playing guys who are supposed to be in their mid fifties. ASOIAF isn't real history so they can freely play around with the timeline to suit their needs.

Although if HBO did it Tudors style they could do a better job with make-up.

In the OP's picture of Alicent she could be pass for being very good looking in her early late 30s or 40s. This is the medieval era too, so they're having their first kids at like 15-16 years old easily. So 30 years old she can have a 15 years old kid. They can easily justify her being in her mids 30s, kid is late teens. It takes VERY little makeup to age her like 10 years.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm cautiously interested due to the source material. I will say that I'm not immediately sold with Matt Smith as Daemon. I actually don't know him through Dr. Who but through everything else he's done. He was excellent in The Crown. But, I always pictured Daemon as looking something like Nikolaj as Jaime, including their personality. Daemon is a sly bastard that you occasionally find yourself liking through his sheer charm and occasional honor.

However, Corlys Velaryon being black is something I'm definitely not sold on. Copying my previous post from an older thread:

Corlys Velaryon being black is weird for me because we ultimately don't know how GRRM plans to end ASOIAF. What am I talking about? Well, we know that the Valyrians were all pale ass white people with silver-blonde hair and purple eyes. Also, they pretty much all got wiped out by the Doom except those that escaped to Westeros and those few who lived in what were border colonies like Volantis. Since the Targaryens were one of the last Valyrian families in Westeros that still maintained the Old Blood of Valyria, they kept great strains to make sure the Blood of the Dragon remained "pure."

As such, this meant intermarriage within their own family as well as marriages with other families with ties to Valyria including nobles in Volantis as well as House Velaryon. Now, the fact that all these Targ Kings and Queens turned out to be half-insane always felt like a commentary on "blood purity." Currently, in ASOIAF we have Daenerys and Jon Snow as descendants of Targaryens and thus carrying the Old Blood. However, I've always suspected neither Jon Snow or Daenerys would be some savior of mankind as it would prop up the idea that blood purity matters. The idea that you need to have these pale-ass blonde people breed with other pale-ass blonde people to ensure the sacred Valyrian blood is protected and thus able to produce the Prince That Was Promised seems very not like GRRM.

This gets back to the Sea Snake. By casting the Sea Snake as a black dude and just being like "yeah, of course there were black Valyrians" it destroys this social commentary. But, such social commentary could only be destroyed if we knew the actual end to ASOIAF!

As a black dude, diversity is great. But, I don't need a black dude that's a direct descendant of pure blood Aryans that are all about protecting their pure blood.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i'll watch because I have HBO Max so why the fuck not but going in with super low expectations

didn't they film a pilot or two of other GOT spinoff shows and then just cancel them after seeing the pilot? Honestly I'm far more interested in seeing that, like how bad could it be that some execs watched it and said "WHOAH THIS IS EVEN TOO BAD FOR US, THE GUYS WHO BROUGHT YOU ZACK SNYDER CUT AND MORTAL KOMBAT!" hahaha

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
However, Corlys Velaryon being black is something I'm definitely not sold on. Copying my previous post from an older thread:

As a black dude, diversity is great. But, I don't need a black dude that's a direct descendant of pure blood Aryans that are all about protecting their pure blood.

Is there actually anything in all the books that says the Valyrians were white?

The great beauty of the Valyrians—with their hair of palest silver or gold and eyes in shades of purple not found amongst any other peoples of the world—is well-known, and often held up as proof that the Valyrians are not entirely of the same blood as other men.

Hair and eyes described. Nothing about skin.

Oct 29, 2017

I believe it is only the Targaryen family, or primarily the Targaryen family, that was concerned with incestual breeding to keep their bloodline "pure". I want to say that the Valyrians overall were a more diverse group, in all liklihood. The Targs did not make up the whole of the Valyrians, just one family from Valyria.

So I don't see it as unreasonable to see a diverse group of Valyrians.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

True, that quote comes from The World of Ice and Fire. And right next to it is a picture of Valyrians:

Magali_Villeneuve_Dragonlords.jpg

So, while its true that there could have been Valyrians of all different skin colors, it would seem to go against the commentary GRRM seems to be setting up. The only black dude in ASOIAF that has even a hint of "dragon blood" is Brown Ben Plumm.

I believe it is only the Targaryen family, or primarily the Targaryen family, that was concerned with incestual breeding to keep their bloodline "pure". I want to say that the Valyrians overall were a more diverse group, in all liklihood. The Targs did not make up the whole of the Valyrians, just one family from Valyria.

So I don't see it as unreasonable to see a diverse group of Valyrians.

Nah, the books seem to make clear that Valyrians were obsessed with blood and incest seemed pretty common.

From World of Ice and Fire:

"The tradition amongst the Targaryens had always been to marry kin to kin. Wedding brother to sister was thought to be ideal. Failing that, a girl might wed an uncle, a cousin, or a nephew; a boy, a cousin, aunt, or niece. This practice went back to Old Valyria, where it was common amongst many of the ancient families, particularly those who bred and rode dragons. "The blood of the dragon must remain pure," the wisdom went. Some of the sorcerer princes also took more than one wife when it pleased them, though this was less common than incestuous marriage. In Valryia before the Doom, wise men wrote, a thousand gods were honored, but none were feared, so few dared to speak against these customs."

And the Targaryens were a lower family in old Valyrian society, nowhere near the top or even that relevant. Thus, no one really cared when they fucked off to Westeros.

Last edited:

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
E0oBAthWQAYeKzq

Steve Toussaint as Lord Corlys Velaryon, "The Sea Snake": Lord of House Velaryon, a Valyrian bloodline as old as House Targaryen. As "The Sea Snake," the most famed nautical adventurer in the history of Westeros, Lord Corlys built his house into a powerful seat that is even richer than the Lannisters and that claims the largest navy in the world.
I don't know anything about the character nor the actor but this is easily the most badass-looking character from all of GOT. In for this alone.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm cautiously interested due to the source material. I will say that I'm not immediately sold with Matt Smith as Daemon. I actually don't know him through Dr. Who but through everything else he's done. He was excellent in The Crown. But, I always pictured Daemon as looking something like Nikolaj as Jaime, including their personality. Daemon is a sly bastard that you occasionally find yourself liking through his sheer charm and occasional honor.

That's Targaryens, not Valyrians. Which is probably exactly what is getting "fixed" with this show's take on race, and probably 100% approved by George. He has stated before he had thought of making the Targaryens black but walked back on it because of the implications of their behaviors, but the second logical step is to make it that Targs were one "royal" family among Valyrians, of which they are by then the last remnant of. Hence, no reason for Velaryons to look like Targs. Valyria could have been multi-cultural, and Velaryons aren't known for riding dragons.

It is also a lie since Daynes have purple eyes and sometimes blond hair. The backstory of the Bloodstone Emperor and Amethyst empress, which likely date to before Valyria, indicates the Bloodstone Emperor was also "the First Dayne", and judging by the name of the empress they all had common ancestors with purple eyes.

I don't know anything about the character nor the actor but this is easily the most badass-looking character from all of GOT. In for this alone.

He's going to be a favorite. Looks alone he looks great, but his whole character is pretty much legendary. He is very likely to get his own prequel show.

Last edited:

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't it only the ruling dragonlords, ala the Targaryens, that were obsessed with blood purity?

The Velayron's weren't dragonlords. So why would they be protective of blood purity? They didn't ride dragons. They didn't rule in Valyria. They were lower level sailors and merchants, making their way to ports all around the freehold.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
That's Targaryens, not Valyrians. Which is probably exactly what is getting "fixed" with this show's take on race, and probably 100% approved by George. He has stated before he had thought of making the Targaryens black but walked back on it because of the implications of their behaviors, but the second logical step is to make it that Targs were one "royal" family among Valyrians, of which they are by then the last remnant of. Hence, no reason for Velaryons to look like Targs. Valyria could have been multi-cultural, and Velaryons aren't known for riding dragons.

See above. I know he thought of originally making them black, but he didn't. And its likely he consciously instead chose to make them all-white as a commentary. We don't know for sure as we don't know a whole lot about Valyria. But, the Valyrians were all about blood purity, that we do know about.

Wasn't it only the ruling dragonlords, ala the Targaryens, that were obsessed with blood purity?

The Velayron's weren't dragonlords. So why would they be protective of blood purity? They didn't ride dragons. They didn't rule in Valyria. They were lower level sailors and merchant, making their way to ports all around the freehold.

Hmm, you know this is true. So, that could be a way to explain it. Of course, again, the lore reasons can easily be explained. The real question is whether any intended social commentary is destroyed by black Valyrians, unfortunately we can't know unless GRRM says something or finishes the damn series.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The real question is whether any intended social commentary is destroyed by black Valyrians, unfortunately we can't know unless GRRM says something or finishes the damn series.

Doubt it because I think any such commentary would be done through the Targaryens as Valyria is too remote and ultimately if there was any to be made even about Valyrians it wouldn't have to be about skin color. I don't think George likes the idea of considering slavery in a medieval era as being a thing just white people did. Targs though, they are closer to "modern day" colonialists, and I think that's where the commentary would be done.

What I do hope the show will do is have at least some of the Targs show their racism.

And again George is involved with the show, and I am sure this whole topic is something they had a common vision on.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Doubt it because I think any such commentary would be done through the Targaryens as Valyria is too remote and ultimately if there was any to be made even about Valyrians it wouldn't have to be about skin color.

What I do hope the show will do is have at least some of the Targs show their racism.

And again George is involved with the show, and I am sure this whole topic is something they had a common vision on.

Well, the Valyrians were presumably destroyed through their practice of slavery and internal squabbles over blood. Like, its made a point that Braavos was founded former slaves of multi-ethnic/multi-cultural backgrounds. That itself feels like a commentary on Old Valyria.

But yeah, the real commentary could only come through the current Targs and whether being descended from a "pure" bloodline matters in the end.

As for Targ racism in the show, I'm not sure why that would happen. ASOIAF is based on heavily medieval Europe and practices, And medieval Europe didn't really have racism as we know. In fact, medieval Europe was far more diverse than most shows and films portray it as. The Targaryens care about their bloodline remaining "pure," but they don't discriminate based on skin color. They discriminate based on family lineage. And if you don't got ties to Old Valyria then you are beneath them.

Hell, that's why despite Tywin Lannister coming from an old family bloodline in Westeros and despite him being a perfect Hand of the King to Aerys, King Aerys still viewed him as a servant and denied a marriage to Rhaegar. Of course there were other factors at play, including Aerys jealousy. But his words resonated with Tywin as it still had truth, no matter high Tywin climbed his family would only ever be seen as beneath the Valyrian blood.