• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
www.usatoday.com

'Anything could happen': Jude Law on Saturday's 12-hour live episode of HBO's 'The Third Day'

On Saturday, Jude Law and his "The Third Day" co-stars will gather on a remote island to film a half-day live episode of the HBO horror drama.

Jude Law is about to enter his own version of "The Truman Show." Or maybe "Survivor."

Honestly, no one knows what, exactly, is in store Oct. 3, when Law and a group of actors will congregate on a remote British isle for a live 12-hour episode of their new HBO series "The Third Day, which premiered this week and airs Mondays (9 EDT/PDT).

The psychological thriller follows a grieving father named Sam (Law) who rescues a young girl and returns her home to the mysterious Osea Island off the coast of Essex, England. He soon finds himself stuck on the island after the tide comes in, and is introduced to its creepy inhabitants, who are preparing for an annual festival not unlike the pagan cults of "The Wicker Man" or "Midsommar."
After its third episode, the show pivots to an experimental all-day event, to be filmed in real time and broadcast uninterrupted online and on the U.K.'s Sky Arts channel. Pre-COVID, the idea was for members of the public to travel to the island, where they could interact with the actors and immerse themselves in the story. (The series was co-created by Felix Barrett, whose theater company Punchdrunk produced the popular "Sleep No More," an immersive riff on "Macbeth.")
But given social distancing concerns, the audacious episode is now limited to the "Third Day" cast, along with members of the Punchdrunk company, scattered across the island.

"We are still confident that it will feel like an event," Law tells USA TODAY. "We're all getting more and more used to experiencing things online, through our TV screens, our tablets and phones. The original idea was that we would continue the drama that plays out after (Episode 3), about this festival and these sort of rites of passage. And we'll be there doing that as such, just without 2,000 (visitors) witnessing it. But the islanders will be there, and it's also plays strangely into the narrative of the piece, which is that the island is very exclusive and closed off."
Law and his fellow performers will eat throughout the 12-hour shoot, and meals will be incorporated into the story. Technology, however, will be off limits.

"There won't be any cell phones anywhere," Law says. "I'm someone who quite likes to leave my cell phone as far away from me as possible, as often as possible. So the idea of having 12 hours away from it is my idea of heaven, actually. I don't know that I want to go to these extremes every time I want to put my phone down for 12 hours, but you know."

As for bathroom breaks, "they will probably be played in. I mean, there may be the old pit stop behind a bush if I need to take a pee. But there's no pausing (filming). If you're following Sam, my character, then what happens happens. I don't know that that means cameras follow me into the toilet, but it will be played out in real time. I guess I'm just going to have to control myself."

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
How is this show so far, I know its from the creator of Utopia so I definitely gotta check it out eventually but I hope its off to a good start.

Might have to catch up before this airs so I can tune into it for a bit, sounds like an odd experiment but could prove to be immersive if the actors commit to it.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
depending on how it goes, it sounds like something someone will make a documentary about a few years later.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
How is this show so far, I know its from the creator of Utopia so I definitely gotta check it out eventually but I hope its off to a good start.

Might have to catch up before this airs so I can tune into it for a bit, sounds like an odd experiment but could prove to be immersive if the actors commit to it.

I'm planning to watch it today as the trailer looks 100% up my alley.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like an awful idea. That bit about them like not even allowing him to take a private pee break is just why

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I saw it pop up on HBO,I kinda want to watch it but not sure I am up another "mystery" for the "mystery" show.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Holy moly, I didn't realise this was how it was going to end. I'm both excited and nervous. I'll definitely try to tune in.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like something that'll be fascinating to watch live with other people but not after the fact.

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
i am in for the full ride. watched ep. 1 and am intriguied. definitely felt like some of the characters were being waaaay too dumb in their situation, but i want to see where this all goes.

Kos Luftar

Oct 27, 2017
Wait so hbo will have a 12 hour episode starting really early because Uk is 5 hours ahead of east cost NA?

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's a hour and a half edit buried in HBO Max called Autumn. Lots of cool camera work and ominous drones and scenes. Not essential per say, but a cool interlude between both halves of the shw

Shame I didn't know about this, don't like it when they bury content like that. Will watch now!

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
There's a hour and a half edit buried in HBO Max called Autumn. Lots of cool camera work and ominous drones and scenes. Not essential per say, but a cool interlude between both halves of the shw

Aw damn! I wish I knew this but we watched through thr Prime HBO channel and I recall if they offered this episode in their listing. My boyfriend and I just finished the last 3 episodes on Halloween too.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Was this show any good?

The trailer had me hyped but it felt like early impressions were not great

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Was this show any good?

The trailer had me hyped but it felt like early impressions were not great

It's great. I get people having issues early on since the Jude Law half is oddly edited and paced so it feels like weird for the sake of weird, but they switch directors in the second half and that side helps explain most of the first and is a much more straightforward story visually and plot wise.

I will say it's less 'horror' , more creepy, so don't expect it to be like Midsommar. Think more thriller/mystery with supernatural elements.