• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
The whole white walkers story line is damaged goods now.

Shame, considering that before this season, there was so much potential with them.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I mean, the whole prequel series will feature (as it seems) and explanation into who Sauron was, his downfall, and rise.
I don't think people are understanding my point in this thread.

LOTR was filmed before there was any plan for it to be spun off into a larger franchise. The story is complete because nothing was left hanging to keep the option open for spin offs or prequels, so the fact that prequels have been produced afterwards have no effect on the originals.

GOT has been produced with knowledge that it is a franchise, in a post-Marvel environment where studios all want the next big "universe".

Because of this, I can't trust that the unsatisfying conclusion and explanation of the Night King and White Walkers in general wasn't left deliberately vague for the express purpose of expanding it in future material.

It's conjecture, but more and more big budget productions have these cynical seeds planted in them which build anticipation for spin offs (some of which may never even see release) at the expense of narrative completion.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I don't think people are understanding my point in this thread.

LOTR was filmed before there was any plan for it to be spun off into a larger franchise. The story is complete because nothing was left hanging to keep the option open for spin offs or prequels, so the fact that prequels have been produced afterwards have no effect on the originals.

GOT has been produced with knowledge that it is a franchise, in a post-Marvel environment where studios all want the next big "universe".

Because of this, I can't trust that the unsatisfying conclusion and explanation of the Night King and White Walkers in general wasn't left deliberately vague for the express purpose of expanding it in future material.

It's conjecture, but more and more big budget productions have these cynical seeds planted in them which build anticipation for spin offs (some of which may never even see release) at the expense of narrative completion.

I mean, you don't need an explanation to all charachters and stories, Sauron, like NK, is powerful beings that have a shroud of mystery around them that don't need explaining, and as you say, prequel series to GoT have no affect on the completed main series).

And if they do explain, it doesn't take away from an already completed series (even if the plan was to 'Hey let's not delve deeper into NKs origin, we need that cash later on').

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I mean, you don't need an explanation to all charachters and stories, Sauron, like NK, is powerful beings that have a shroud of mystery around them that don't need explaining.

But Sauron is explained, in great detail. Sure, maybe not in LOTR itself (altough the book explains quite some things), but there is a lot of backstory available trough The Silmarillion. The NK (at this moment) is a creation of the series, so it will either be revisited in a different series; or this is just all we got and we'll just have to be happy with that. If that last part is reality, the series did a shit job.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
The World is very cool, so they have ample opportunity for good stories.
My only hope is that they stay FAR AWAY from the White Walkers. It's really the only aspect of the universe that was tainted by Game of Thrones for me.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
But Sauron is explained, in great detail. Sure, maybe not in LOTR itself (altough the book explains quite some things), but there is a lot of backstory available trough The Silmarillion. The NK (at this moment) is a creation of the series, so it will either be revisited in a different series; or this is just all we got and we'll just have to be happy with that. If that last part is reality, the series did a shit job.

That is true, but I am only talking about the movie and series here. But even then, if now Sauron is explained in different medias, why can't the NK be explained in a different series that can focus more on it?

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
it sure can. my point was that wat we got with Game of Thrones was extremely bare bones; while the NK was supposed to resemble the 'greatest threat Westeros ever faced'.

Why I agree the whole handling of NK and the WW was subpar, the backstory information wasn't imo (since it wasn't needed in the first place to delve deeper into it).

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
User banned (1 day): trolling and generalizing, recently warned for similar behaviour
I'm so hyped for this.

Give me some more GOT!

why anyone would want to watch anything thrones related after that dumpster of a finale is beyond me
Because people like fantasy stuff, and this is the most popular TV series ever made.

(I loved the last season, like many other fans, not everyone is a angry basement dweller)

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I'm way more interested in Arya discovering new lands than looking at the past of Westeros. Even just Valyria would be more interesting that re-exploring Westeros. Spinoffs work best when they can develop their own lore, otherwise it will be basically a show about hinting and nodding at the events we already know.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm way more interested in Arya discovering new lands than looking at the past of Westeros. Even just Valyria would be more interesting that re-exploring Westeros. Spinoffs work best when they can develop their own lore, otherwise it will be basically a show about hinting and nodding at the events we already know.

thousands of years in the past means no, it won't be hinting at things we know. this isn't Better Call Saul. the show will be entirely contained stories that will have no relation to GOT other than maybe the WWs.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Like the prospect of a talented person like Jane Goldman at the helm of a ASIOAF show should be exciting alone

Really curious to see what a D&D-free GOT looks like

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
All the rumours seem quite uninteresting. I think covering any of the Targaryen Reigns would make room for a better story. Or just the Dunk & Egg Tales.

My dream though is a 3 Hour feature film covering the Robert Rebellion. Starting at the Harrenhal Tournament and ending on the Battle of the Trident / King's Landing Sack / Tower of Joy.

A film about Robert's rebellion is certainly something I can see happening 5 years or so from now. I think that's the closest we would get about the GoT characters though, as it was mentioned that GRRM is not interested in stories that take place after the end of the series.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
So the Night King wasn't explained in the show so they have material for the prequel series?

The Night King was originally a man, formed into the first White Walker by the Children of the Forest, using their magic enchanted dragon glass, as a weapon to fight against the First Men who'd invaded Westeros, were taking their lands, and destroying the Weirwoods. He turned on the Children of the Forest while continuing to fight the First Men, ushering in the first Long Night with the objective of erasing the world of the living and enforcing an eternal winter. They were defeated and pushed North, and the wall was built to keep them out. Their legacy slipped into history and then myth and they've returned in the events of Game of Thrones to complete what they started.

I understand not being satisfied with the resolution or explanation for the White Walkers, Night King, and their whims and desires. I understanding feeling seasons worth of teased exposition that emphasised some greater mystery may not have been appropriately fulfilled. And I get the disappointment in having the arc concluded in a singular south-of-the-wall battle.

But I see this "The Night King was never explained" commentary a lot, and in reality the show very clearly explained and showed his origin, and discussed and implied his purpose and objectives. There was nothing else to him or his desires beyond what we already know, which is sufficient enough. We know who the Night King is. We know who created him, and how. We know what he is trying to accomplish. The show explains this.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I have zero interest in Children of the Forest and early history of Westeros. Literally zero.

I'd much prefer the Valyria series first. It'll have a lot more character to it and vibrancy and is a chance to redeem the political nuance of GoT before it fell off a cliff.

Give me Sothoyros even. A Robert's Rebellion mini-series could work.

Children of the Forest? Keep it.

dudefriend

Banned
Apr 27, 2019
if they went to east, south, central or southeast asian inspired areas the show would somehow become even more racist

also dragons are cooler than zombies

im still interested despite how shitty the finale is though lmao

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
thousands of years in the past means no, it won't be hinting at things we know. this isn't Better Call Saul. the show will be entirely contained stories that will have no relation to GOT other than maybe the WWs.
I've been reading how it be explaining the origin of the Night King, so I'm sure other hints will happen. It's okay, I'll definitely watch it and there is potential. I'm just a little soured after this ending.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I have zero interest in Children of the Forest and early history of Westeros. Literally zero.

I'd much prefer the Valyria series first. It'll have a lot more character to it and vibrancy and is a chance to redeem the political nuance of GoT before it fell off a cliff.

Give me Sothoyros even. A Robert's Rebellion mini-series could work.

Children of the Forest? Keep it.

It's almost like people can't read. The show will explore the east too, not just Westeros.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
to be honest, I care little about the show's world given how the creators handled things. I just hope GRRM finishes the books :P

I cant wait the end of the Targaryen line on A Dream of Spring and melting the Iron throne.

Because if you think thematically it will be diffreent, you will be dissapointed again...

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Who else wants an Arya Stark spinoff about her journey west of westeros?

The writing and story had issues, but people are way too dismissive about the production as a whole. Game of Thrones had very high highs, even during the worst episodes.
FB-IMG-1558434043700.jpg

She has fixed a ton of Mark Millar bullshit and made it work.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
there are people that the consider Dany not ending on the Iron Throne is a thing that needs "fixing" for example.

Or Grrm, a Tolkien fan, wont destroy the Iron Throne and Jon will sit on it.

For me, its not really about the destination but the journey; and I think most will agree that the writers of the show rushed things immensely. I'm pretty certain that none of the main characters will "get what they want", I'm totally fine with that. It's pretty much what the series is known for.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
FB-IMG-1558434043700.jpg

She has fixed a ton of Mark Millar bullshit and made it work.

The one thing this doesn't consider is whether or not Masie Williams would even want to do a spin-off. I feel like her and the rest of the cast would probably want to take a break and do other projects for the foreseeable future. It's like going up to the Harry Potter kids right after Deathly Hallows Part 2 released and asking them if they'd be interested in signing on to be in 3-5 more Harry Potter films after devoting 10 years of their lives to it.

I'd honestly be interested in an Arya spin-off in, like, 10-15 years from now when Williams is in her 30s and Arya has become this grizzled, world-traveling badass.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Little nervous about the writer from Kingsman 2 being onboard. I thought that film was awful, far worse then anything i've seen on GoT recently. But GRRM being directly involved makes it a little easier to digest.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me, its not really about the destination but the journey; and I think most will agree that the writers of the show rushed things immensely. I'm pretty certain that none of the main characters will "get what they want", I'm totally fine with that. It's pretty much what the series is known for.

I agree with these, i just see a lot of people that were following HBO marketing of "who will win the game of thrones!!" and wanting their character to "win" to be very disappointed. For me it was the whole story not having your character "win".

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I couldn't care less about the spin offs at this point. Especially prequels to something I know ended up being bad.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, i've read through Jane's work, i think Kingman 2 was a one-off, as she's responsible for some of my favourite comic book movies on screen. Can't wait.

With Matthew Vaughn, she co-wrote the screenplays of Kingsman: The Secret Service(2014) and its sequel Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017), as well as X-Men: First Class (2011), Kick-Ass (2010) and Stardust (2007). Goldman also worked on the story of X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014), the sequel to First Class, in partnership with Vaughn. Both met high critical praise for their partnership works.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
The Night King was originally a man, formed into the first White Walker by the Children of the Forest, using their magic enchanted dragon glass, as a weapon to fight against the First Men who'd invaded Westeros, were taking their lands, and destroying the Weirwoods. He turned on the Children of the Forest while continuing to fight the First Men, ushering in the first Long Night with the objective of erasing the world of the living and enforcing an eternal winter. They were defeated and pushed North, and the wall was built to keep them out. Their legacy slipped into history and then myth and they've returned in the events of Game of Thrones to complete what they started.

I understand not being satisfied with the resolution or explanation for the White Walkers, Night King, and their whims and desires. I understanding feeling seasons worth of teased exposition that emphasised some greater mystery may not have been appropriately fulfilled. And I get the disappointment in having the arc concluded in a singular south-of-the-wall battle.

But I see this "The Night King was never explained" commentary a lot, and in reality the show very clearly explained and showed his origin, and discussed and implied his purpose and objectives. There was nothing else to him or his desires beyond what we already know, which is sufficient enough. We know who the Night King is. We know who created him, and how. We know what he is trying to accomplish. The show explains this.
What people really mean is, the explanation was boring and made for a terrible antagonist who did nothing.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So the Night King wasn't explained in the show so they have material for the prequel series?

This is how franchises undermine narrative integrity. We can never just have a complete story in a mutlimillion property anymore.

I'm so glad LOTR came out before this trend.

They explained basically everything there was to know about the Night King.

Why was he created? To kill humanity.
What were his goals? To kill humanity.
What was his motivation? Magic, which made him want to kill humanity.
What was his character arc? To try to kill humanity.

Do expect them to capitalize on people wanting to know more, though.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
I imagine they haven't been developing any sequel series yet because they didn't want leaks. But they'd be dumb not to think about it. If they could get GRRM involved at the level he was in season 1-4 it might be worth getting hyped about.

In the other hand I really don't understand the trend to create prequels. They are very unexciting for the audience. The vast majority of prequels suck because the story that people are invested in is after the original show/movie/game, not before it.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
The one thing this doesn't consider is whether or not Masie Williams would even want to do a spin-off. I feel like her and the rest of the cast would probably want to take a break and do other projects for the foreseeable future. It's like going up to the Harry Potter kids right after Deathly Hallows Part 2 released and asking them if they'd be interested in signing on to be in 3-5 more Harry Potter films after devoting 10 years of their lives to it.
I'm not sure Maisie Williams has a whole lot else coming up, acting-wise. She doesn't seem to have made the best film choices to date, either.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like people can't read. The show will explore the east too, not just Westeros.

So you chose to call me illiterate?

The only mention of "mysteries of the east" is that one line buried. The show is being sold on being a far-history of Westeros and the story of the Children of the Forest, Bran the Builder Etc.

Now read what I said. I'll even repeat it here for you, I'd much rather the story of Valyria; it'd have more vibrancy and bring back the political intrigue.

Alternatively a show set in Sothoyros, a largely unexplored region akin to Africa. Or a Robert's Rebellion mini-series.

If you personally would rather have this particular show? That's fine. Great, they're filming the pilot and it's the most likely spin-off to happen. But other people want different things, shocking huh?

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Midnight's Edge claims that the other two remaining spin-offs have been put on hold in light of the finale but time has proven him to be full of BS (it seems like every year he predicts the cancellation of Star Trek Discovery and its spinoffs).