• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
ITS FINALLY HERE

For those unaware, animated by Vivziepop who's best known for her webcomic Zoophobia, Hazbin Hotel is an animation about someone in Hell who decides to open up a hotel for sinners in the hopes of using it to rehabilitate them, get them out of Hell, and fix Hell's overpopulation problem. It just came out today!

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
Been waiting YEARS for this.

And of course, I'm at work.

Can't wait to get home and watch it.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
So, since I didn't come across anyone else making a thread about it, after several years of development and updates on how it's been coming along, the pilot for Hazbin Hotel is finally out and it's real good...
go watch it...
that's all...

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Really enjoyed that, I know it took bloody ages to make but I hope more gets made someday :) Very colourful characters and the songs are a lot of fun!
Wasn't the creator revealed to be like a fucked up person though? Maybe I'm misremembering.
Haven't heard anything about this- we're definitely talking about Vivziepop? Fucked up how?

Nov 26, 2017
Really enjoyed that, I know it took bloody ages to make but I hope more gets made someday :) Very colourful characters and the songs are a lot of fun!

Haven't heard anything about this- we're definitely talking about Vivziepop? Fucked up how?
Apparently they have drawn both bestiality and pedophilia art before, I can't access twitter right now but I distinctly remember seeing a tweet attached to one of the Hazbin posts calling them out with screencaps.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow. I randomly saw this pop up on my YouTube a few days ago and it looked interesting. Didn't know that this was an anticipated thing.

Edit: Of course it's potentially problematic. Guess I'll cross this off.

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
Hazbin Hotel is out! Oh bo...ooooy what is going on.
That's not good. I guess this explains why she was defensive about something on Tumblr a bit back.
Didn't know what the fuck she was on about. This isn't good.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State

446010208289030147.png

Whelp

Nov 26, 2017

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's definitely a good thing that the racism bit was a false flag, however I'm not sure how this debunks some of the other accusations against her (unless I'm missing something)
I figured people can make up their own minds. The twitter thread seems pretty damning, and all of the responses in this thread were responding to that and that alone.

The twitter thread claims that she stole a character from an ex-friend. She claims that she had a bitter falling out with that person, and her ex-friend tried to get revenge by posting lies and false contracts on the internet. She says that she posted the real contract, and stopped using the character.

The twitter thread claims that she tried to sue Disney over Zootopia. She says that she had a comic called Zoophobia and she had an emotional reaction to the reveal of Disney's name/logo, so she tweeted about her emotions. She got over it and loves the movie.

The twitter thread claims that she's transphobic/racist because she's a fan of two youtubers who are. She claims that she was watching their videos (not following their twitter) and liked some of what they had to say, and she thought they were pretty so she sketched them. She claims that she's not transphobic/racist.

She admits that she's drawn some fucked up shit in the past. But people had to go digging to find it.

She admits to doing some tracing. Calls it an homage. (And I gotta say, she references people copying the Akira bike slide, and I literally just saw an anime do a frame-by-frame recreation of that one a couple of days ago).

She defended an accused person once, because she knew them personally and believed that the allegations were false. She also seems to hate "cancel culture" because people have been trying to weaponize it against her for years, so that has colored her opinion of it.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Ah that's a shame. Was really hoping this thread would just stay about the show and not have to be a retreading for the same "She's awful, look at all this evidence", "Wait, that wasnt the whole story/was fake", "Doesn't matter, sticking with the initial reaction" thats been happening for months now.

Well, anyway, looking forward to the next episode in The hopefully not too distant future.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching it. It's really like an adult version of Nightmare Before Christmas in Hell.

And Radio Demon is the GOAT cuz he doesn't wary me down with his greatest charisma, though!

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty interesting. That demon is fucking 3spooky5me
Looks like a foster home type show.

Last edited:

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
This.....was so worth the wait, I knew the Pilot was gonna be good, but did not expect it to be this fantastic! Sucks that we are gonna have to wait another eternity for the next one to be made though.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Ah that's a shame. Was really hoping this thread would just stay about the show and not have to be a retreading for the same "She's awful, look at all this evidence", "Wait, that wasnt the whole story/was fake", "Doesn't matter, sticking with the initial reaction" thats been happening for months now.
To be fair the most problematic stuff (associating with bigots on Youtube, the questionable art she's made, etc) hasn't been debunked, from what I can tell. If people find that stuff and her attitudes towards 'cancel culture' / her dismissal of supporting repulsive online figures like Blaire White etc. as "just different views" to be too problematic to support her, then that's their prerogative. I didn't know about any of this until reading this thread, and it'll likely affect my willingness to support her in the future, so I think it's pretty important and relevant to bring it up when discussing her work. Better to let people see it and make their own minds up rather than to just ignore it completely.

Nov 26, 2017
As Minky said not exactly all of the evidence has been debunked, so it's still pretty sketch. Regardless, I begrudgingly gave it a watch and, I didn't like it.

I really tried to not let the outside drama cloud my judgement but it really wasn't as funny as people have been making it out to be. Typical 3edgy7me humour that I probably would have found funny in freshman year was all it really tried to do and that's a tad disappointing.

OP
OP
TrishaCat

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Okay I finally watched it and
I'm really happy with it!
Its not *perfect*; I don't personally like Vaggie or Sir Pentious as characters, and occasionally the art quality seemed to go back and forth, but overall I loved it!
I especially love Angel Dust and Alastor's characters, though I'm curious to see what sort ulterior motive Alastor might have. I'm not convinced he's only doing this for his own entertainment.
The world fascinates me though; how exactly does dying within Hell work? Angel Dust jokingly mentioned in passing about "what are you gonna do, send me to some kinda hell 2" or something like that, so the concept of death seems a little fuzzy here. There's so much about the world I'm fascinated by and interested in.
Gosh the art and animation is gorgeous though. This must be *hell* to animate.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
As Minky said not exactly all of the evidence has been debunked, so it's still pretty sketch. Regardless, I begrudgingly gave it a watch and, I didn't like it.

I really tried to not let the outside drama cloud my judgement but it really wasn't as funny as people have been making it out to be. Typical 3edgy7me humour that I probably would have found funny in freshman year was all it really tried to do and that's a tad disappointing.
Tbh I found the edgy humour and sweary writing pretty distracting also. It got a couple of laughs out of me in places, but those were mostly down to the timing of the visual humour rather than any of the actual dialogue. I really liked the premise of it, and the presentation is lovely- the animators have all done a great job and I don't doubt it could make for a successful series... But that disconnect between its pretty aesthetic and ugly writing really rubs me up the wrong way.
Also the protag was ironically the blandest character IMO, Radio Demon captured my attention way better than any of the rest.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
This gives so many DeviantArt vibes. The characters, the edginess, and the problematic history of its artist. Can't say it wasn't fun to watch, but can't say I look forward to more

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Been a fan of the artist since the first few music vids on her channel. Witnessed the inception of this series but haven't followed it closely beyond the starting animatics from years ago. This turned out a lot better than I'd ever expected and wouldn't be surprised if it was picked up by Adult Swim or some such for broadcast. Voice acting, music and animation are on point. Don't blame anyone who can't jive with the writing dialogue or story-wise but I really enjoyed it myself. Like I alluded to, it's the type of writing I'd expect if it ended up sandwiched between Metalocalypse and Sealab at 1 AM. Happy for the team in general so even if Hazbin runs out of road, I hope even better for everyone in the credits.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This script is awful. Really bad.

It looks cool, the voice acting is solid. It's not good, though.

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
It looks great and I have respect for all the people who were able to create this, but it didn't really interest me and the humor wasn't my type.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
The animation was pretty fluid and neat but the constant cuts and obnoxiousness took away a lot of it, and the humor felt really try hard edgy and I didn't like that much either. I especially disliked that one character who was like "hehe I could be racist OR sexist xD." Every other sentence has someone say fuck or shit and a lot of the characters are over designed, the radio demon guy in particular was really annoying and as someone who currently has a day job as a radio producer that writes local throwbacks to old serialized radio shows I can certainly say that design does not invoke "radio" to me. Only a few of the characters felt likeable but I don't particularly like how the character who is allegedly a lesbian (based on what I've been told) being named "Vaggie" and treated badly by the others. The dynamics between the characters all felt a bit tropey and some of the direction for them feels very unclear. I really wanted to feel this show but the further in I watched, the more it seemed like a clash of Hot Topic and edge lord manifest. I am honestly shocked so many people are into this with all that said. Also finding out that the creator is apparently really shitty too doesn't surprise me, the entire show gave off an extremely iffy and uncertain impression.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished watching it. I thought it was pretty fantastic. Amazing what kind of ideas can come from one person's brain and, with time and effort, come into existence. Really dug the characters and the voice acting. Music was pretty great too. Though I almost feel the characters are TOO interesting to look at, at least compared to the main character. She's fine... but I think I like everyone else more lol

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I definitely enjoyed discovering this and I think for a pilot episode, it did a lot of things right. I liked the animation and creativity on display and the writing, while edgy, seemed to fit the style and energy of the characters.

Reading the creator's apology and explanation on her context when she was in a dark place and made some mistakes was enough for me not to judge her work by it or vilify her.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
That was actually quite enjoyable. Would like to see a bit more and see where it goes from here. That Radio Demon was quite great.

As for the creator, she did an apology a long time ago. She seem quite sincere in it and nobody seem to point to any recent problematic behavior.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Gave it a go and quite enjoyed it on the whole. It's fun with a really neat premise and character designs. I really like Angel Dust.

It sort of reminds me of Rat Queens in terms of humor, but it only hits the mark about 75% or so of the time. There's an art to cursing-as-a-punchline and this doesn't quite have that down yet.

Still, I'll be back for more.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This gives so many DeviantArt vibes. The characters, the edginess, and the problematic history of its artist. Can't say it wasn't fun to watch, but can't say I look forward to more
I agree, the aesthethic just rubs me the wrong way especially since I've been trying to move away from the communities that produce those kind of crap ever since I was a teen, crap like this:

OP
OP
TrishaCat

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I agree, the aesthethic just rubs me the wrong way especially since I've been trying to move away from the communities that produce those kind of crap ever since I was a teen, crap like this:
This is really good though!
Ghost's an extremely talented composer and the edge of his music is so much fun. The one you posted also gives me Danganronpa vibes.
This one in particular is my fave by Ghost however

Though Corrosion by RIP is by far my favorite of this genre

Last edited: