• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 26, 2018
Not sure why you bring up Black Panther I mean. He thinks Japanese people watching American movies should be more critical, and if you've seen Temple of Doom, he has a point about how Hollywood portrays Asians.

I was referring to the scene at the beginning that takes place in the museum, and Killmonger talks about how the items on display were stolen from other people, and how that ties back into the origins of Indiana Jones, the stories it's based off of, and just... that whole milieu, basically.

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also there are no Japanese getting shot in any Indy movies, so I don't know what the fuck is he talking about? Come to think of it, the Japanese did horrible shit in WWII and should have been villains with the Nazis in those movies.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Sounds like another Japanese xenophobic asshole.

Please read a wikipedia article at least before making a post on it. You might learn something.

Ah fuck 'em

He will die an old hateful man

This isn't some woke commentary, just cause you make pretty cartoons is not the be all to tell the world, that everything is wrong and to forget about the past atrocities your own people committed, fuck outta here

There's a reason those Bombs were dropped on your country, it wasn't just for fun's and giggles

Ah, I see that the ignorant trash is starting to come out more.

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Trolling and inflammatory off-topic commentary over a series of posts
Also, the Japanese still won't admit to their war crimes to this day.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Ah fuck 'em

This isn't some woke commentary, just cause you make pretty cartoons is not the be all to tell the world, that everything is wrong and to forget about the past atrocities your own people committed, fuck outta here

There's a reason those Bombs were dropped on your country, it wasn't just for fun's and giggles

Literally doing any research would prove that statement wrong.

May 26, 2018
Also there are no Japanese getting shot in any Indy movies, so I don't know what the fuck is he talking about? Come to think of it, the Japanese did horrible shit in WWII and should have been villains with the Nazis in those movies.

I'm trying to figure out where all these posts are coming from. Do a lot of people here just not know how Miyazaki feels about things, or is it personal, or all of the above, or...?

I guess I just answered my own question.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Ah fuck 'em

Oh my God.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018
I mean he's right. These aren't new criticisms.

Look at how many of the evil men are minorities or are slapped with traditionally ethnic descriptions and how many of the good men are lily-white.

Then look at the Indiana Jones movies where the protagonist is a white man shooting tons of minorities. It should be a little uncomfortable when you're that minority that he's shooting at and because of the history behind such sequences but people don't bat eyes at that.

Germans and Russians are a minority ? is he not basically fighting Nazis and one scummy Frenchman in the first movie and working together with minorities to kick their asses.

The only movie is temple of doom were he is fighting Indians but Indians Jones 3 once again we are back to Nazis and Russians in kingdom of the crystal skull.

Dec 22, 2017
Genius creators often hate everything, which is why their own stuff is so good. Probably more critical of his own work than anything else.

Bill Watterson is another good example.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry, I still like Spirted Away, Hayao
Ah fuck 'em

This post needs to be in the hall of fame of fuckery

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
latest

600px-IJTD-TopBreak2a.jpg

0*_6ENykpvIs08xllG.jpg

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Fellowship of the Ring became a really useful metaphor for a lot of angry Americans at the end of 2001. Even if it wasn't a conscious thing, the subtext of the uruk hai is really about dehumanizing your preferred enemy.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I assume this is a purposefully generalised statement to compare it with this thread's title? Because I read the article and didn't really see anything about hating American movies as a whole. So it would be an odd comparison to make. Did I miss something?

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://kotaku.com/hayao-miyazaki-seems-to-hate-lord-of-the-rings-indiana-1833458496

On LotR:

On Indiana Jones:

His LotR criticisms stand out to me because how American even are those movies? As said in the article he seems to be grouping all of the West together under the banner of "American" which is not all that cool for various reasons.
Who cares? Really? Stubborn, close minded guy doesn't like things. Does it really matter that he is really famous and influential?

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's not wrong about Indiana Jones. A white guy grave robbing artifacts from non western countries would not fly today. Also let's not forget it's heavily implied he had a relationship with Marion when she was underage.
Why not, Unchartedand Tomb Raider sell pretty well and aren't those promises similar and both starring white people?

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ah fuck 'em

now we got a thread

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean at least Americans make movies about the horrible shit they have done.

I'm loving all of this whataboutism about Japanese war crimes to attack Miyazaki.
These war crimes that Miyazaki had no hand in because they all happened before he was 5 years old.
These war crimes that Miyazaki regularly denounces.

Oh wait, it's literally just one person lol

For someone who hates American movies getting generalized, you sure have no trouble generalizing all people of Japanese descent.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
That's funny, I don't recall the last American movie that has seriously looked at the implications of the atomic bombs or the native Americans or prisoners of war or their operations in Cuba or the Middle East.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why not, Unchartedand Tomb Raider sell pretty well and aren't those promises similar and both starring white people?

Uncharted has been criticized for the same thing.

You could argue the adventure genre itself is problematic because it's usually about a white man traveling to foreign locations and taking their treasure.

Maybe that's why we barely have adventure films these days.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Miyazaki is a top tier takesman, and this thread is proof

Also, his criticisms arent inherently wrong, and you aren't a bad person if you enjoy those stories despite said criticisms

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They get their fair share of criticism about that element, too. Perhaps not as much as the whole mass murder protagonist thing, but they do get their knocks.
Video game journalism is ill equipped to offer cultural criticism from this angle anyway, people get outraged if their game is an 89 on Metacritic instead of a 90. There's no audience for "The Colonial-Imperialist tradition of narratives like Uncharted".

(Except me)

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Neither is Indiana Jones and LOTR a sole representation of American movies.
C'mon. Are you really going to pretend that the majority of American(Hollywood) Fantasy/Action films don't have a lot of racist/imperialist messages ingrained in them? Its a systemic problem in society so of course its going to seep into our media. These films aren't the sole representation of American movies but they're held up as some of the greats so of course they'll receive criticism.

Yeah we get Green Books all the time.

Its 2019. We still don't have a Black Wall Street film.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
He's spot on though.
But he's old right ? What would he know ? Internet people can just play that "old man yelling at clouds" card when they don't understand or like what they're reading.
I find it amusing how this community even allows that kind of counterargument.

Video game journalism is ill equipped to offer cultural criticism from this angle anyway, people get outraged if their game is an 89 on Metacritic instead of a 90. There's no audience for "The Colonial-Imperialist tradition of narratives like Uncharted".

(Except me)
Oh, don't get me wrong, it's rare that we get anything written at length about games and their themes that aren't some kind of surface evaluation of a game's themes, but it's not completely ignored at least. Maybe in 20 years!

Deleted member 28564

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
He's spot on though.
But he's old right ? What would he know ? Internet people can just play that "old man yelling at clouds" card when they don't understand or like what they're reading.
I find it amusing how this community even allows that kind of counterargument.
They aren't providing counterarguments at all. They're merely responding with anti-intellectual, reactionary posts. And purposefully so, because they are wholly incapable rationalising their objections. So drive by it is.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he's cool, he says things that i agree and disagree, but i understand how indy could be viewed as problematic
its an american history teacher that goes to third world countries to get its historical stuff and gives to the american government in the end

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Does it matter if they're Chinese or Japanese? Since you're being pedantic, the Japanese are descendants from the Yayoi people who lived in modern China and Korea.
It doesn't matter, because Miyazaki's overall point was that Indiana was killing people foreign to himself, not specifically Japanese.

ScandiNavy

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Norway
A big difference between Princess Mononoke and LOTR is the role of society in the narratives. In Mononoke there's multiple competing societies (Ainu, Iron Town, forest denizens) with different and conflicting interests. There's corruption (figuratively) in Iron Town and corruption (literally) in the forest, and the resolution is the excising of these corrupting influences as well as the establishment of harmony between the societies.

LOTR, due to the mythopoetic nature of it, is about Good triumphing over Evil. There's also elves, but they're kind of neutral (well they weren't neutral in the films but they were non-interventionist in the books). There's individual evil and corruption, like Saruman and Denethor, but nothing like rights or society for orcs and goblins despite being ostensibly sentient. They're slaughtered without mercy, they have no motives except for conquest, no agency except to be killed by the Good Guys. Peace arrives at the defeat of evil and the return of the King (to a prior status quo of enlightened mystic kings).

The book is more complex than this but the film wasn't.
Huh!
I haven't thought about it like that before.
It's probably part of why this film series, and superhero flicks, for that matter, doesn't click with me.

Thanks for the thought-seed.

Jan 2, 2018
For LotR he is probably referring to the use of the Haradrim and their Mûmakil in the third movie?
White elves and men are fighting against people with a darker skin colour.

latest

latest

dumbo.jpg