• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
More frames means literally more frames, ie more drawings. Nothing do do with the level of detail. I believe all of their animation previously was done at 12 frames (or drawings) per second. Animated TV shows and the like are all 12 frames per second usually, as it's the standard.

Disney 2D animated films is 24 frames per second and as far as I know the only 2D anime film that was drawn at 24 frames per second is Akira. It's very costly and time consuming to do this obviously, as you're doubling the work.
I think Akira uses a mix of 1s, 2s and 3s, a lot of times within the same cut of animation. I'm fairly certain the same is true for most Ghibli films.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Akira uses a mix of 1s, 2s and 3s, a lot of times within the same cut of animation. I'm fairly certain the same is true for most Ghibli films.
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Given the number of mechanical elements in the movie, you could probably get away with animating them on 2s and 3s because they're more rigid and don't require the fluidity and save the effort for the characters and CLOTHS (Kaneda removing the cover from his bike still looks so damn smooth)

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Given the number of mechanical elements in the movie, you could probably get away with animating them on 2s and 3s because they're more rigid and don't require the fluidity and save the effort for the characters and CLOTHS (Kaneda removing the cover from his bike still looks so damn smooth)

It's a combination of things including multiple layered vistas where the most background elements weren't as detailed or well animated but there are like a half dozen layers of incredible artwork so you don't even notice. Just seeing the art work they created and you only catch a small snippet of it in a single shot is fucking insane.

OP
OP
Xun

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
More "fluid looking" water animated at the same framerate as less fluid water is going to use the same number of frames. What you're describing is more detail or more care put into the movement of what's being animated in each frame, but none of that involves "more frames"
More frames means literally more frames, ie more drawings. Nothing do do with the level of detail. I believe all of their animation previously was done at 12 frames (or drawings) per second. Animated TV shows and the like are all 12 frames per second usually, as it's the standard.

Disney 2D animated films is 24 frames per second and as far as I know the only 2D anime film that was drawn at 24 frames per second is Akira. It's very costly and time consuming to do this obviously, as you're doubling the work.
I feel there is mistranslation/miscommunication at play here and they're instead referring to the amount of layers for a single frame of finished film, that's what I'm referring to. There would be more paper involved and it wouldn't surprise me if they equate that to mean more "frames".

It would be incredibly odd for Ghibli to animate on ones.

As for Disney 2D animation it is mostly done on twos actually ("12fps"), but like with all hand drawn animation it varies depending on the scene.

Last edited:

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
It's a combination of things including multiple layered vistas where the most background elements weren't as detailed or well animated but there are like a half dozen layers of incredible artwork so you don't even notice. Just seeing the art work they created and you only catch a small snippet of it in a single shot is fucking insane.
Exactly. For example, alternating between moving the character(s) on one frame and then moving the background effect (like an explosion or dust) or even the camera on the next frame is a pretty common technique.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Totoro was made in 8 months? Incredible. That must have been grueling though.

I hope these talented animators and artists are getting compensated appropriately.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
That's cool, if Studio Ghibli plays their cards right, this movie will end up being a historical landmark.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel there is mistranslation/miscommunication at play here and they're instead referring to the amount of layers for a single frame of finished film, that's what I'm referring to. There would be more paper involved and it wouldn't surprise me if they equate that to mean more "frames".

It would be incredibly odd for Ghibli to animate on ones.

As for Disney 2D animation it is mostly done on twos actually ("12fps"), but like with all hand drawn animation it varies depending on the scene.
It's all being done digitally now though. I don't think they'd refer to cells or layers as frames when they're different things, but all we can do is wait and see when this comes out (whenever that might be)

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
0e3.png

Take as long as you need, as long as I get more Ghibli goodness.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The wild thing about Totoro only being in 8 months is that they would've been making Grave of the Firefles at the same time too.

OP
OP
Xun

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's all being done digitally now though. I don't think they'd refer to cells or layers as frames when they're different things, but all we can do is wait and see when this comes out (whenever that might be)
The actual animation would still be done traditionally and then digitally inked and coloured using Toonz (assuming they still use that software).

Most of the time when animating different characters/elements they'd be on different pieces of paper.

But yeah, we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Totoro was made in 8 months? Incredible. That must have been grueling though.

I hope these talented animators and artists are getting compensated appropriately.

It had also external assistants from Anime Toro Toro , Dragon Production and Studio Fantasia. Though still there were far fewer. Eg Mary and the Witch flower had 10x times more studios and animators.

Funny you should mention that, since reading down a bit in the article reveals that Goro came back to Ghibli to start up work on a new film:

At the start of the new year, Studio Ghibli rang in 2020 by revealing there were in fact two films in development. The second film, Suzuki confirmed, is from Miyazaki's son, Gorō Miyazaki, seemingly the untitled work first reported on in 2017. Gorō previously helmed 2006's Tales from Earthsea and 2011's From Up on Poppy Hill for Ghibli. "This one is all done by computer-generated animation," Suzuki said of the new work.

The producer declined to go too in-depth, but said, "Gorō's film is based on a book or story from England, and it's a story about a very wise girl. We've only announced it's going to be a new film, we haven't announced anything yet. So, that's as far as I can tell you now."

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
60 animators only being able to do 1 minute a month sounds nuts. I know nothing about animation, but is that normal?

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017

This is a good video that's just over a minute long to help people get an idea of shooting in 1s, 2s & 3s etc. As he explains, the classic Disney movies are usually ones (24fps), things like WB and TV are twos, and anime on threes. Generally speaking. Although animators can and usually do mix it up, like using a higher fps for action scenes.

If they're animating an entire movie with high detail on ones (24fps), that's why it's going to take forever.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Just do it exactly like in the old days. Anime in general. What's so hard about that? Looks better, probably costs less. Where's the problem?

I miss this lost art of 80 and partly 90s Anime....

If you're talking about traditional animation of paper then onto cels and then hand painted, it is way more expensive for TV than both the digital coloring Disney created in the 90s and the all-digital 2D animation that's popular now (see Ducktales and the new Looney Tunes). If it was cheaper to do it traditionally, they'd still do it traditionally. It's why pretty much every show (I think now every show) is done with computers in some extensive fashion.

Movies... I'm not sure. CGI films are really expensive, I think a mix of paper drawing and digital compositing might be cheaper, but generally (outside Ghibli films and stuff like Your Name/Weathering With You) CGI films are thought to make better bang for the buck. It's also much easier to edit a CGI/Computer-animated film, which is Disney's excuse for why they only do CGI now.

It's definitely not easier to do than modern animation by any means.

60 animators only being able to do 1 minute a month sounds nuts. I know nothing about animation, but is that normal?

Traditional animation, like claymation, is insanely time intensive (did you ever see the Parks and Rec joke about a depressed character making claymation on unemployment?). That being said, either the way they're doing it is more labor intensive or they have less staff on the project (or, perhaps, giving staff more time off), because I don't think Laika or Golden Age Disney take/took nearly this long for their projects.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy that the whole thing is going to be hand drawn for a film in this day and age. Seems like a real passion project for Miyazaki.
I am so happy, seeing an artist touch in each frames instead of the rendered 3d crap you see today.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
There are still film studios doing hand drawn animation. Cartoon Saloon, for one.
I wasn't aware about Cartoon Saloon so I'll check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!

Edit: Ohhh, so they're a animation studio that specializes in hand drawn projects. Cool cool.

OP
OP
Xun

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I wasn't aware about Cartoon Saloon so I'll check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!

Edit: Ohhh, so they're a animation studio that specializes in hand drawn projects. Cool cool.
If you aren't also aware of it, check out Klaus by SPA Studios. It's on Netflix.

It's the film that should've beat Toy Story 4 at the Oscars...

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine that it's fun to work months on one second of animation only to start over again with the next second the following month.

I hope so. He was pretty brutal on his son at times.
I got his general point about Goro being thrust into a director role before he was really capable of doing it, but I feel like the insane stress that occurred as a result of how much of a mess the entire production of Howl's Moving Castle he had to deal with made him lash out a lot harsher than he normally would have. Not that he isn't still noted for how harsh he can be even now (someone is dying to post that GIF, I'm sure), but his criticisms there didn't feel like they were coming from the best of places, regardless of how one ultimately felt Tales from Earthsea turned out.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Princess Kaguya was also a lot better than The Wind Rises, Plus Your Name being such a hit, Miyazaki out time reclaim the title.

I hope production speeds up a little at least, be a shame if he doesn't get to complete it.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017

So a lot of this info was previously available in this interview from last year some time. I get the feeling part of the reason it is taking so long is that Miyazaki seems to be correcting more ruthlessly than ever.

OP
OP
Xun

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Alright! I've wrote it down and I might check it out later tonight. Thank you Xun!
No worries! I hope you enjoy it.

So a lot of this info was previously available in this interview from last year some time. I get the feeling part of the reason it is taking so long is that Miyazaki seems to be correcting more ruthlessly than ever.
Yeah, I think couple him meticulously checking things back with his older age and it's easy to see why it would take so long.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Princess Kaguya was also a lot better than The Wind Rises, Plus Your Name being such a hit, Miyazaki out time reclaim the title.

I hope production speeds up a little at least, be a shame if he doesn't get to complete it.
I'd take The a Wind Rises any day over Your Name.

Shinkai ain't got shit on Miyazaki. He's an impressive visualist who needs to find somebody else to write his stuff.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I'd take The a Wind Rises any day over Your Name.

Shinkai ain't got shit on Miyazaki. He's an impressive visualist who needs to find somebody else to write his stuff.

Hm id agree with you generally. Not sure about TWR's being that great though compared to previous works.

I mainly referenced Your Name as it outgrossed Spirited Away and got a ton of accolades.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, sounds like it's going to be visually very stunning! Although based on the synopsis of the novel this film's based off of, I'm getting vibes it's gonna feel similarly to As The Wind Rises. Wasn't much of a fan of that one, so I'm not sure how excited I am about this. Still, I hope the work goes well and he's able to accomplish everything he wants with it.

I admit I had hoped he would tackle one last stunning fantasy epic like some of his older works before he finally retired for real, for real, but... Realistically I know this will probably be his last one. Man, gonna be real bittersweet when he puts his pen down for good. ;w;

OP
OP
Xun

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Wow, sounds like it's going to be visually very stunning! Although based on the synopsis of the novel this film's based off of, I'm getting vibes it's gonna feel similarly to As The Wind Rises. Wasn't much of a fan of that one, so I'm not sure how excited I am about this. Still, I hope the work goes well and he's able to accomplish everything he wants with it.

I admit I had hoped he would tackle one last stunning fantasy epic like some of his older works before he finally retired for real, for real, but... Realistically I know this will probably be his last one. Man, gonna be real bittersweet when he puts his pen down for good. ;w;
This has been described as a "big fantasy film", so we shall see.

I'm not getting my hopes up, but like with all of his adaptations I think he's only going to loosely base it on the original story.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
This has been described as a "big fantasy film", so we shall see.

I'm not getting my hopes up, but like with all of his adaptations I think he's only going to loosely base it on the original story.
Oh, huh! Well that could be cool if he finds a way to inject some interesting fantasy elements into it. Guess I'll have to keep an eye out then, see how it turns out. :O

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Oh, huh! Well that could be cool if he finds a way to inject some interesting fantasy elements into it. Guess I'll have to keep an eye out then, see how it turns out. :O
Yeah, I don't think they are making film based on the novel. The protagonist is connected somehow to the original novel. This came out in some documentary about Ghibli (probably the one posted here already).

edit. " The original book by Yoshino will have significant meaning for the main character in the film."
edit2. https://ani.me/posts/3475-Hayao-Miy...Ikiru-ka-Might-be-Released-in-Two-Three-Years

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can we stop bringing up dropping stone cold dead every time someone over the age of 25 tries to do something creatively fulfilling with their lives? It's pretty gross.