• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017

The parasitic worm in these cases is the rat lungworm, aka Angiostrongylus cantonensis. As its common name suggests, the wandering worm primarily takes up residence in rats' lungs, where female worms lay their eggs. Young worms leave the nest early to find their own windy homes, though. Larvae get coughed up into rats' throats then swallowed. The hosting rat eventually poops out the young parasites, which then get gobbled up by feces-feasting snails and slugs (intermediate hosts). When other rodents come along and eat those infected mollusks, the prepubescent parasites migrate to the rats' brains to mature before settling into the lungs and reproducing. The cycle then starts again..Humans are an accidental host

It's pretty crazy that you can have a salad and then get infected with a brain dwelling parasite.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
a6dd4279718508de125e988ca16efbbd.png

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like if you don't eat fruit or veg you find in the wild you will be fine. You basically have to eat a slug to get this.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
*slowly etches Hawaii off places to visit list*
Is it a problem unique to Hawaii?
Guess I'm never going to Hawaii, fuck that shit I'm out.
I just read the wiki on the parasite, and I have some bad news -- it's proliferating globally since rats are, well, everywhere. It doesn't matter where you are or what you eat -- it's been encountered in Florida and New York, among other places, and anything can be cross-contaminated. Most straightforward means of prevention is to cook your food, or at the very least, wash it thoroughly.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Humans are an accidental host, typically infected when they inadvertently eat an infected slug or snail that has slid into their salad fixings or other produce.
The department recommends that visitors and residents carefully inspect and wash all produce and store it in sealed containers. It also recommends that farmers and gardeners try to control snail and slug populations.
This won't prevent every case, however. Officials noted that a person in one of the latest confirmed cases became infected in December of 2018 after purposely swallowing a slug on a dare. The other two cases, both from 2019, were suspected to be linked to eating homemade salads and "grazing" fruits and vegetables straight from the land.

OK, good to know.

Don't eat salad if I'm ever in Hawaii for a vacation.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why OP used ellipses those two sentences are the end of one paragraph and the start of the next.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
This is horrifying.

The brain eating amoeba you can get from just swimming in infected waters is the stuff of nightmares for me.

Oct 2, 2018
A kid in Australia swallowed a slug on the dare of his mates. He progressively got destroyed by rat lung worm. His went from a normal kid to handicapped and absolutely wrecked. He passed this year or last. Can't imagine being the friends who dared him to swallow the slug. They were wrecked . It took him 8 years to die

STORY here: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...stralian-man-sam-ballard-rat-lungworm-disease

I now look at slugs in dread and fear them.