• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Heyheyhey

Dec 15, 2017
Nioh (Only played a bit at the start)
Radiant Historia (On chapter 3 but feeling a bit burned out)
Dark Souls (have started several times but it just hasn't clicked)
Tokyo Xanada Ex+ (started but never got far)
Dino Crisis Ps1

Feeling a bit impatient. I want something that grabs me. Last games I really got hooked on were Link's awakening and astral chain.

llLeonhart

Oct 21, 2019
Nioh (Only played a bit at the start)
Radiant Historia (On chapter 3 but feeling a bit burned out)
Dark Souls (have started several times but it just hasn't clicked)
Tokyo Xanada Ex+ (started but never got far)
Dino Crisis Ps1

Feeling a bit impatient. I want something that grabs me. Last games I really got hooked on were Link's awakening and astral chain.
Nioh 1 structured levels make it easy to drop in and out during the day. and gameplay is awesome once it clicks.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
RDR2 (about 10 hours in)
DOOM Eternal (3 hours in)
Final Fantasy VI (never beat it, replaying on SNES classic)
Final Fantasy IX (Switch ver., I only got halfway through back in the day on PS1)
Devil May Cry 5 (about halfway through the game)

Ryuun

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Need a good jrpg after the disappointment of FFVII Remake. My options are:

Persona 5
FFVI (US III)
Atelier Ryza
or play FFX again, which is my favorite game.

Last edited:

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Doom 64 is short, intense, will entertain and not overstay!
Well, Level 10 now and it sure is intense, but with the quite obtuse level design it won't be as short as I thought, but I should be done before the next weekend arrives.
RDR2 (about 10 hours in)
DOOM Eternal (3 hours in)
Final Fantasy VI (never beat it, replaying on SNES classic)
Final Fantasy IX (Switch ver., I only got halfway through back in the day on PS1)
Devil May Cry 5 (about halfway through the game)
How about some high action demon killing with an awesome soundtrack and a real challenge? I haven't played DMCV, but If you think that descriptions fits that game, finish it. If not, that description definitely fits Doom Eternal and you should play that instead then.

thechicco96

Apr 17, 2018
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Pillars of Eternity
Shadow of Tomb Raider
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Days Gone
God of War(Replay, already played it in 2018)
The Division 2
Destiny 2

Yeah, my backlog is pretty wild. Unfortunately, in "normal life" I can't play a lot, so I'm trying to exploit this quarantine.
Please, explain why you choose one game or antoher.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Pillars of Eternity
Shadow of Tomb Raider
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Days Gone
God of War(Replay, already played it in 2018)
The Division 2
Destiny 2

Yeah, my backlog is pretty wild. Unfortunately, in "normal life" I can't play a lot, so I'm trying to exploit this quarantine.
Please, explain why you choose one game or antoher.
Divinity Original Sin 2.

Its one of the best Rpgs this generation. The combat and variety of options in how to build your party and deal with situations just make it immensely engrossing. I couldn't put it down, replayed the prologue four times experimenting with my skills and party before progressing. Loved it.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
All on PS4

Final Fantasy VII Remake
Darksiders 3
Jedi Fallen Order
Dragon Quest XI
Control
Take back the Control over your backlog and live through a more exciting quarantine that leads with you getting a promotion.
Also how the fuck is FF7R already on your backlog? It just released this month.

Need a good jrpg after the disappointment of FFVII Remake. My options are:

Persona 5
FFVI (US III)
Atelier Ryza
or play FFX again, which is my favorite game.
Cleanse your mind with the better Final Fantasy with the superior cast and go suplex a train in FFVI. I hope it is not the steam or mobile version though.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Witcher 3
Horizon Zero Dawn
Yakuza Zero
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Gears 5

I have a big backlog so I chose the five that I'm most interested in.

faint

Oct 27, 2017
The Witcher 3
Horizon Zero Dawn
Yakuza Zero
Gears 5

HZD. It has the strongest campaign out of the games you've listed, isn't a massive undertaking like TW3, and requires no backstory/review of prior games in a series.

e: removed the non-existent :

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Looking to play through something from early on in the PS4 gen that isn't too long, narrowed it down to 4.5 games.

inFamous Second Son + First Light
Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Tomb Raider Definitive edition (I did play through most of this already ages ago but got hit with a common save corruption bug near the end, got angry and never replayed)

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
Looking to play through something from early on in the PS4 gen that isn't too long, narrowed it down to 4.5 games.

inFamous Second Son + First Light
Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Tomb Raider Definitive edition (I did play through most of this already ages ago but got hit with a common save corruption bug near the end, got angry and never replayed)

Infamous SS and First Light. You should be able to fly through both!

I played FL first and I'm glad I did it that way. Both games are still a good showcase for PS4 imo.

Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue Remastered
Uncharted 4 Thief's End
The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories
Sayonara Wild Hearts
Blasphemous
Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion: HD Renovation
God of War Reboot
The Outer Worlds
Yakuza Kiwami
Zero Escape: The Nonary Games

I have so many things on plate, especially I still have other backlog for Steam, too. 😅

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Shenmue Remastered
Uncharted 4 Thief's End
Sayonara Wild Hearts
Blasphemous
God of War Reboot
The Outer Worlds
Yakuza Kiwami

I have so many things on plate, especially I still have other backlog for Steam, too. 😅
Uncharted 4 Thief's End, it is an amazing game. Don't miss out.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Shenmue Remastered
Uncharted 4 Thief's End
Sayonara Wild Hearts
Blasphemous
God of War Reboot
The Outer Worlds
Yakuza Kiwami

Do missing j j first
It shouldnt be a long game

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Final Fantasy VII (original, Steam version)
Fire Emblem Three Houses - Black Eagles NG+
Fire Emblem Three Houses - Blue Lions NG+
Fallout New Vegas (Steam, but I'm going to use cheats)
Dragon Quest XI S demo

Aug 8, 2019
Celeste (just bought it)
Dragon Quest XI S (about 20 hours in)
Phoenix Wright Trilogy (I'm on the last trial of Justice for All)

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
The Witcher 3
Horizon Zero Dawn
Yakuza Zero
Gears 5

I'd say go with Uncharted. It's the shorter of the bunch, but it's really really fun.

I have been playing mostly FPSes, I want something else for in between, something I can say "ok, I'm gonna go 40 minutes or an hour of this to change", and play with controller (PC). Could be:

Continue The Witcher (32 hours in, I have a lot of fun with it, but it may be better for longer sessions?)
Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice
Bayonetta
Vanquish
Watch Dogs 2
Spec Ops: The Line

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I'd say go with Uncharted. It's the shorter of the bunch, but it's really really fun.

I have been playing mostly FPSes, I want something else for in between, something I can say "ok, I'm gonna go 40 minutes or an hour of this to change", and play with controller (PC). Could be:

Continue The Witcher (32 hours in, I have a lot of fun with it, but it may be better for longer sessions?)
Bayonetta
Vanquish
Watch Dogs 2
Hellblade is a great experience, and you can be done in 5-6h!

Oct 24, 2019

Bayonetta
Vanquish
Watch Dogs 2

Watch Dogs 2 is perfect for what you're describing. You can hop in, do a mission or two or a few of the activities around the map and then hop out. The world is very well-designed and I love how bright and cheerful it is, it's really refreshing in an industry full of cyberpunk/post-apocalyptic worlds

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
Celeste (just bought it)
Dragon Quest XI S (about 20 hours in)
Phoenix Wright Trilogy (I'm on the last trial of Justice for All)

The last trial for JfA is straight some of the best shit from the entire series. Not simply from a mystery perspective but how it totally flips the script.
And then you can lead into the 3rd game which is probably the strongest of the bunch, which is saying a lot.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
Shenmue Remastered
Uncharted 4 Thief's End
Sayonara Wild Hearts
Blasphemous
God of War Reboot
The Outer Worlds
Yakuza Kiwami

f i'm clearly not first on this, but the Zero Escape series are like the top Visual Novels i've ever played, and i've played like all the best considered ones in the genre.

the horror atmosphere, the mood of despair and claustrophobia set by the music and setting, the crazy philosophical elements, and by god the plot twists it throws at you. i'd give a heavy recc for it just based on the plot twists alone, they're some mind-bending stuff. the kind of stuff that makes you re-evaluate the entire story you just played through.

ill link just one track cause i think this embodies the feeling these games give you

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bayonetta
Vanquish
Watch Dogs 2

Spec Ops is amazing.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Hellblade is a great experience, and you can be done in 5-6h!
Watch Dogs 2 is perfect for what you're describing. You can hop in, do a mission or two or a few of the activities around the map and then hop out. The world is very well-designed and I love how bright and cheerful it is, it's really refreshing in an industry full of cyberpunk/post-apocalyptic worlds
Spec Ops is amazing.

Hmm decisions decisions

I guess I should go in this order. Hellblade is shorter, as is Spec Ops, while Watch Dogs is longer. I could play the first two, then proceed to the longer game

Aneru

Mar 15, 2019
The Control dlc is about 5 hours and if you loved the main game you'll enjoy this. Took me about 15 minutes to get the hang of the controls and I haven't played it since finishing it around launch.
Just wanted to say thank you for the recommendation. I was able to get back into the gameplay pretty quickly and had a wonderful time with the DLC. Can't wait for the next one!

Aneru

Mar 15, 2019
I've finished The Evil Within 2 and The Control Expansion from my first post so here we go for round two.

Trails in the Sky: second chapter. Completed the first one last month. I'm on chapter 2 and have been playing it off and on slowly. It is good but i haven't devoted myself to really digging into the game. Should I focus solely on this or continue taking my time as I play something more action packed in the day?

Nioh - all the hype around the second has me in the mood to finally give this another shot. I'm just past the 3rd boss but not sure if I should stick with it since there isn't much of a story hook so far. Gameplay is fun though.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: torna the golden country. - Just saw the trailer for the XB1 remaster so it reminded me that I needed to go back and play the expansion.

Divinity Original Sin 2: I didn't get far in the first game but I keep hearing good things about it.

God of War - I am a few hours into this game, just got to the Lake of Nine or something like that. The game is okay so far. Pretty but not really grabbing me. Should I stick to it, does it get better or is it just not for me?

Spiderman - I haven't started this at all yet. I've heard good things but not sure if it is for me.

Dragon's Dogma - Just picked this up since it was cheap and I've read some intriguing posts about it recently.

Control : Foundation expansion. Just released and I loved the main game enough to buy the expansion pass. Just worried that I might not remember how to place the game.

Evil Within 2: Game always looked cool and I haven't played a horror game in years.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been sick for most of the month (apparently it's not mono and I tested negative for COVID-19 so at this point my diagnosis is that I have a virus of some sort :-/) and thereby haven't had the energy to play FFVII:R despite really wanting to (it's too... involved? it's hard to explain I just don't have the energy needed for it) so I've been mostly playing Persona 5: Royal when I do have the energy to do something besides napping or watching Bob Ross videos

long story short I'm having trouble deciding what to play on my Switch when I want to play a little something while curled up in my chair without having my TV on, I think something mellow/slow-paced/ and/or turn-based would be best so I've narrowed the options down to the following 5

Final Fantasy VIII: Remastered (only played through the tutorials)
Fire Emblem (on chapter 11 & haven't played since August?)
Little Busters (somehow I've never played this VN from Key)
Pokemon Sword (beat the first gym)
Super Robot Wars V (as I posted in the quarantine purchases thread, I kinda went overboard & grabbed all the Super Robot Wars games from HK eShop)

Last edited:

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (stopped at around 15 hours, feel like i should go back, but lacking motivation)

Bloodborne (new playthrough as I have never played the dlc)

Steamworld:heist

Doom Eternal

Resident Evil 2 remake

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Winding down two other games, and here are the ones I'm facing as the next:

Star Wars: Jedi - Fallen Order
Yakuza 0 (I have 0-6 plus Judgment, so this would kick off a long, long journey)
Borderlands 3 + DLC
Days Gone
Spider-Man
Death Stranding

All of these are getting played at some point, but happy to have someone pick where to start!

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (stopped at around 15 hours, feel like i should go back, but lacking motivation)

Bloodborne (new playthrough as I have never played the dlc)

Steamworld:heist

Doom Eternal

Resident Evil 2 remake
RE2 Remake is one of the best games this gen, a lovely throwback to the 90s while still feeling like a modern game, and also generally a pretty short game. I'd go for that.
Winding down two other games, and here are the ones I'm facing as the next:

Star Wars: Jedi - Fallen Order
Yakuza 0 (I have 0-6 plus Judgment, so this would kick off a long, long journey)
Borderlands 3 + DLC
Days Gone
Spider-Man
Death Stranding

All of these are getting played at some point, but happy to have someone pick where to start!
Yakuza 0 is my favorite game out of that list, but I also didn't really like Yakuza 1, 2, or 5. I never played 3.

Basically what I'm saying is that you shouldn't feel compelled to play every Yakuza game if you play 0, it works great as a standalone game.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
Judgement
Shenmue 3
Spiderman
God of War
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

Finished Detroit Become Human recently. I'm just in the mood for a good story to make me want to continue playing a game.

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
RE2 Remake is one of the best games this gen, a lovely throwback to the 90s while still feeling like a modern game, and also generally a pretty short game. I'd go for that.

Yakuza 0 is my favorite game out of that list, but I also didn't really like Yakuza 1, 2, or 5. I never played 3.

Basically what I'm saying is that you shouldn't feel compelled to play every Yakuza game if you play 0, it works great as a standalone game.

this was secretly the one I was hoping for, so thanks =)

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've finished The Evil Within 2 and The Control Expansion from my first post so here we go for round two.

Trails in the Sky: second chapter. Completed the first one last month. I'm on chapter 2 and have been playing it off and on slowly. It is good but i haven't devoted myself to really digging into the game. Should I focus solely on this or continue taking my time as I play something more action packed in the day?

Nioh - all the hype around the second has me in the mood to finally give this another shot. I'm just past the 3rd boss but not sure if I should stick with it since there isn't much of a story hook so far. Gameplay is fun though.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: torna the golden country. - Just saw the trailer for the XB1 remaster so it reminded me that I needed to go back and play the expansion.

Divinity Original Sin 2: I didn't get far in the first game but I keep hearing good things about it.

God of War - I am a few hours into this game, just got to the Lake of Nine or something like that. The game is okay so far. Pretty but not really grabbing me. Should I stick to it, does it get better or is it just not for me?

Spiderman - I haven't started this at all yet. I've heard good things but not sure if it is for me.

Dragon's Dogma - Just picked this up since it was cheap and I've read some intriguing posts about it recently.

Control : Foundation expansion. Just released and I loved the main game enough to buy the expansion pass. Just worried that I might not remember how to place the game.

Evil Within 2: Game always looked cool and I haven't played a horror game in years.
Torna is the perfect appetizer for XCDE, since it's a shorter, more manageable experience.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017

Awesome, thanks! Yakuza 0 has also been sitting in my collection the longest, so it feels like the right time, too.

eoinmoners

Oct 1, 2018
Oh I love this!

1. Cosmic Star Heroine
2. Transistor
3. Blade Runner (recent Gog release version)

A little background - I'm clearly in the mood for sci-fi but I want something I can do in hour-ish bursts over the next week or two. Thanks in advance to someone!

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Helpfully a fellow RPG junkie can help me decide which one to go for before XCDE's release.

1. Persona 3 Fes (Already have ~20 hours in it)
2. Persona 5 Royal (Already played vanilla P5)

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Oh I love this!

1. Cosmic Star Heroine
2. Transistor
3. Blade Runner (recent Gog release version)

A little background - I'm clearly in the mood for sci-fi but I want something I can do in hour-ish bursts over the next week or two. Thanks in advance to someone!
I've only ever played Cosmic Star, but I found it to be a reasonably enjoyable love letter to 16-bit RPGs. You can play it in bursts if you want, too, so maybe it will fit just right for you.
Helpfully a fellow RPG junkie can help me decide which one to go for before XCDE's release.

1. Persona 3 Fes (Already have ~20 hours in it)
2. Persona 5 Royal (Already played vanilla P5)
Sounds like you should just keep going with P3. Would also give you more time to push your initial playthrough of P5 further into the back of your mind, so it's fresh again when you play Royal.

Feb 10, 2018
At the moment im rotating between witcher 3, Spiderman, warzone, sea of thieves and journey.

Sea of thieves is purely for some human speech contact and relaxation.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
My list (all unstarted):

Chrono Cross
Grandia
Parasite Eve

I'm on bit of a JRPG kick lately.

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
OK, here are my options:

• Resident Evil 2 (2019)
  • Prey (2017)
  • DMCV
  • Control.

For context, I just finished Doom Eternal and I'm getting the final trophies for the Nioh 2 Platinum.

My list (all unstarted):

Chrono Cross
Grandia
Parasite Eve

I'm on bit of a JRPG kick lately.

Grandia. I hated Chrono Cross and Parasite Eve back in the PS1 era.