• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you know that dogs are smarter than cats?

• Yes, it is known

Votes: 408 91.1%
  • No, I was not aware until now

Votes: 40 8.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2017
OP, what you said about cats suddenly scratching or biting you for petting them seemingly on a whim is exactly why I prefer dogs.

Whenever a friend's cat approaches me clearly wanting a pet, it's like "ok fucker, are you gonna scratch the shit out of me or not?" With a dog, I never have to worry about that.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sadly allergic to cats but I love them. I love dogs too. Dogs won't scratch you and that's why they win this competition.

Oct 27, 2017
OP, what you said about cats suddenly scratching or biting you for petting them seemingly on a whim is exactly why I prefer dogs.

Whenever a friend's cat approaches me clearly wanting a pet, it's like "ok fucker, are you gonna scratch the shit out of me or not?" With a dog, I never have to worry about that.
I don't remember the last story I read about a cat permanently disfiguring or outright killing a child...

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Interesting that cat owners are up in here saying the comparison is insulting and bizarre. Science thinks the comparison is valuable between two of the most popular pets, but keep trying.
lmao "keep trying"

okay bucko, you're just trolling, see you over the weekend

Nov 17, 2017
I don't remember the last story I read about a cat permanently disfiguring or outright killing a child...
Oh they would if they could lol

I mainly just mean that in my experience even chill cats will eventually scratch or nip at you for petting them. My one friend's cat will come crawl up to me and push against me until I pet him but if I pet him for more than a minute, he'll bite me.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh they would if they could lol

I mainly just mean that in my experience even chill cats will eventually scratch or nip at you for petting them. My one friend's cat will come crawl up to me and push against me until I pet him but if I pet him for more than a minute, he'll bite me.
Yeah cats definitely do this. But still,

"Oh no this jerk cat lightly bit my finger when I tried to pet it" is vastly preferable to "neighbour's Pitbull are my kid's face".

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I like them both pretty much equally, but cats are a lot less work and time, so when I own a home, I plan on having a cat.

Oct 26, 2017

Go interact with more cats and dogs.
Poll going to right way by a landslide. Good job
Look at the poll question.

Nov 17, 2017
The neighbour is also an Alchemist. I forgot to mention that.
Fuck, now I'm sad.

Go interact with more cats and dogs.

Look at the poll question.
How many do I need to interact with until you're satisfied? I've interacted with many in my life and it's always been that way for me. It's my personal preference as I stated.

Dogs > Cats but I always partake in the war in jest. You can like cats more.

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck, now I'm sad.

How many do I need to interact with until you're satisfied? I've interacted with many in my life and it's always been that way for me. It's my personal preference as I stated.

Dogs > Cats but I always partake in the war in jest. You can like cats more.
Until you realize that each cat and dog are different and have varying personalities and tics.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I feel bad for the cat. It's so desperately trying to train this new human that's around and it doesn't seem to learn.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
I've been chased by dogs, scratched by dogs, and bitten by dogs. A badly trained dog is much worse than a bad cat.

I've trained cats to do tricks and had a couple that would go on walks with me. Even had one cat that would chase people away. I've trained dogs to do the same and it was easier, so for me it was boring.

I like cats better. They leave me alone most of the time and come when I call them. Dogs are like annoying children that want way too much attention.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah cats are cool. My last cat would play fetch, jump onto my shoulder and perch like a parrot, bring toys to me when he wanted to play, I could let him outside and he would come back when I called his name, he always followed me around the house and sat next to me all the time, etc. I picked him up on a whim from the shelter for like $30 and he was like any other family member to me. You have to take time to form a bond with them and learn how to communicate. Clumsy fucks always treat cats like dogs and act shocked when they get scratched.

Shamash

Nov 25, 2019
Brazil
Why do dog people have this constant need to shout how they think dogs are better ?
Dogs are fine
Cats are fine
They're just for different people.

yerrr

Banned
Nov 19, 2019
I prefer cats, they're just more chill. My current chick has the most annoying dog ever, all he does is bark and bite. I hate going to her place cause I know that bastard is gonna ruin my day.

I'm trying to convince her to get rid of him and get a cat instead.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Well my cat is really not like your cat, he does everything that a dog does except bark at people for no reason ( not like he can).

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I love dogs and cats, but as an adult, I love a cat that can keep themselves occupied but also enjoys spending time with me.

That way when I'm busy, they can keep to themselves, but if I need a refresh and come up to them, they roll over on their belly for me and warmly welcome me to play with them.

My cat, Latte, is like that, and it's just the perfect relationship. He's always down to clown but knows when to entertain himself.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Dogs are the best. They understand you, they actually love you.

Cats are hate machines. Their default mode is kill.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Dogs are the best. They understand you, they actually love you.

Cats are hate machines. Their default mode is kill.
Sorry the correct term is "Little Murder Machine". I actually feel bad for the little bugs they find and play to death with sometimes. I'm like damn nature.

But my cats are super sweet and only really scratch me if I play rough with them. They've never bit or scratched me outside of my own doing. Every Cat has a different personality.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Dogs and cats are both absolutely fabulous pets and millennia of domestication have ensured they're the best of the best when it comes to furry companionship. While it's undeniable that dogs are smarter and ultimately more useful, they are also generally higher maintenance. The older I get and the less time I have, the more I've come to appreciate cats. But dogs absolutely deserve the title of "man's best friend."

And for the record, I have a cat that plays fetch and plays overall way more than my dogs do!

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I own cats and dogs for about 30 years and they are vastly different. My cats want to play, they come (doesnt matter how far away they are, they eventually reach home -could take up to 5 min to show up-) when i call them up, they keep the house clean of insects and they even play with the dog (i have space for them to play around)...but all of this depends on the hour. At least my cats are up for this things early morning or at night, daytime they will mostly sleep but i dont care because im at work. My dog is crazy as hell, i have her since she was 2 months old and basically she tries to follow cats when they are jumping walls and such.

All my pets are stray animals, never bought a single one.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Idk man ... I've seen cats do tricks and go on walks just like a dog. Depends on the cat I guess 🤷🏻‍♀️

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Cats are fine. Some of my friends have had some real sweeties over the years. With that said I would never own a cat because I can smell that litter box as soon as I walk in the door. At least dogs have the decency to go outside.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything you described is why I'm pretty sure cats are better. Dogs are noisy and can be annoying, they desire too much attention and time. Cats just do what they want for the most part and that's p fine.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Dogs are the earliest domesticated animals. They have a shared history with ours and there is a reason they are "man's best friend". Of course dogs are better. They are also the top pet around the world.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory commentary; previous bans for inflammatory commentaries, trolling and antagonism
Everything you described is why I'm pretty sure cats are better. Dogs are noisy and can be annoying, they desire too much attention and time. Cats just do what they want for the most part and that's p fine.

I'll punch a cat right in it's face. Twice. Take that as you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.