• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did you know that dogs are smarter than cats?

• Yes, it is known

Votes: 408 91.1%
  • No, I was not aware until now

Votes: 40 8.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck your dumb bitch cat. What has a cat ever done for me. Name one thing. Name one thing. Name one thing.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I really love cats that act like dogs and I love dogs.

I hate cats that act more like cats and bite and scratch you and then run away and hide somewhere because you pet them incorrectly. Also hate how they scratch at your door if you close it at night and then sit on your face in the morning.

Also when I heard how cruel declawing a cat is to them, that unfortunately knocked them down another peg in my book because it really would be better if they didn't have claws - but I'm not going to do that to some poor animal.

So basically my ideal cat is some sort of clawless cat that loves getting pet and acts like a dog. May as well get a dog.

I'd rather deal with barking than all the cats things that cats do.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dogs at 92% on the poll, i'm a bit surprised by that

BAD one thing that always kind of blew me away, my old dog could follow a pointed finger. like pointing at something and they would swivel their head to make the connection. apparently only certain primates can do that, besides dogs.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Intelligence studies typically use the cerebral cortex (which I see I failed to mention specifically), in which the elephant's only averages 5.6 billion. Human cerebral cortex averages 16 billion. And yes, that count does mean something alone.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Grew up with cats had maybe 10 total in 36 years. Got two dogs 3 years ago. I'll now never live without dogs, might maybeeeeee get another cat at some point maybe. Maybe.

As a few others have said the comparison is dumb though. Cats are such different things it's crazy

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Turns out a lot of people are shitty cat owners which then makes the cats even more independent and unfriendly to strangers.

My cats are wonderful and I get constant compliments on how awesome they are from my visitors. Lots of "they are nothing like my [insert relative]'s cats who just hate everyone.' They walk up to total strangers, lay on the ground, roll on their backs and go for a belly rub just like the good bois.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
In addition to dogs just being better, who the hell wants a pet that walks on your kitchen counter? That's just gross.

Deleted member 27872

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I agree. I love my cats but they are terrible for the environment too. Honestly one of the worst invasive species.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
dogs at 92% on the poll, i'm a bit surprised by that

BAD one thing that always kind of blew me away, my old dog could follow a pointed finger. like pointing at something and they would swivel their head to make the connection. apparently only certain primates can do that, besides dogs.
Correct, dogs unlike cats tend to display an understanding of others' perspectives. They can be used for pointing out hunting game because they know you can see it if they do that. They also can often understand that when you point, it's because you see something they can see over there too.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I've never really been concerned with teaching pets tricks, so I don't care that my cats won't learn them. They like to cuddle and nuzzle my face. That's enough for me.

Oct 27, 2017
I think cats aren't meant to be pets yet. They're kind of wild animals trapped in a house. They're cute, they can make you company but ultimately there's only so much you can do with a cat. Dogs have a much stronger connection to humans due to like 15 thousands years of domestication.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about simple preference, that's fine to like one over the other. I mean the kind of people who are assholes about it and act like they don't understand why people like cats/talk about how they're awful pets.
To be fair dog owners get the same shit, particularly with cats having been the prime meme animal. For awhile on the Internet you couldn't go two steps without cat owners shitting on dogs. Many still do. Not that it's "right," but being inundated with years of "dogs are stupid/clingy/filthy/ugly/a danger to human society" has me apathetic to clapbacks on cats. Cats will be okay. I mean, they're the second-most environmentally destructive animal. =P

cyress8

Avenger
Dogs are better because I use mine as alarm clocks. 5am and here they come, ready to go outside for a new day.

My cats were awesome, but my dogs being all super hyper first thing in the morning, nudging with their nose and licking whatever body part that is not under the cover easily put a smile on my face almost everyday. Best alarm clocks.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally prefer dogs as pets too, and I do think they are smarter (and more easily trained, at least), but it's not really a competition. Cats can make equally good pets for people depending on what kind of relationship and responsibilities they are looking for. They're just different types of pets, that's all :)

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people saying "my cats know their name and play fetch" are not convincing. a very small subset of cats will do this, and none of them do it consistently. if i recall correctly cats respond more to vocal harmonics (i.e; you're baby voice you use to talk to the cat) more than anything else, and they do that when they're hungry. no cat consistently fetches or obeys commands like a dog, that doesn't exist.

but some people are entertained by this, and that's cool. I don't get it but there's no reason to be insecure about having a cat, nor is there a reason to get defensive and ascribe a bunch of attributes that aren't there. it's not a contest.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Can we not just accept that some people are cat people and some are dog people and leave it at that??? Let's all just celebrate the fact we got fluffy murder machines of both the feline and canine variety to become our faithful companions and not eat us!

Oct 27, 2017
Any dog under 30-40lbs is worse than both. Small dogs suck. I do not understand the appeal. Like yeah I get it you live in a small place and can't handle a shepherd, get a fucking goldfish instead of a chihuahua or god forbid a pug. Gross.

I don't get it but there's no reason to be insecure about having a cat, nor is there a reason to get defensive and ascribe a bunch of attributes that aren't there. it's not a contest.
The OP literally made it a contest, and clearly the dog owners are also insecure as hell judging by this thread. It seems they constantly need to tell cat owners "DoGs ArE BeTTeR lol CaTs ArE BaD PetS."

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
people saying "my cats know their name and play fetch" are not convincing. a very small subset of cats will do this, and none of them do it consistently. if i recall correctly cats respond more to vocal harmonics (i.e; you're baby voice you use to talk to the cat) more than anything else, and they do that when they're hungry. no cat consistently fetches or obeys commands like a dog, that doesn't exist.

but some people are entertained by this, and that's cool. I don't get it but there's no reason to be insecure about having a cat, nor is there a reason to get defensive and ascribe a bunch of attributes that aren't there. it's not a contest.
Doesn't read like an insecure dog only owner at all.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
Dogs are better because I use mine as alarm clocks. 5am and here they come, ready to go outside for a new day.

My cats were awesome, but my dogs being all super hyper first thing in the morning, nudging with their nose and licking whatever body part that is not under the cover easily put a smile on my face almost everyday. Best alarm clocks.
My dog never wakes me up in the morning, he'll lie quietly until I get up. But if you have more than one dog, I could see where they'd get each other going in the morning.

tata toothy

Dec 24, 2017
Get a Maine Coon-type cat, best pets in existence. Much more intelligent and friendly than typical short-haired cats.

maine-coon-cat-breed-768x658.jpg

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't read like an insecure dog only owner at all.

oh please. cat owners can be defensive as fuck, as you just pointed out.

you shouldn't feel defensive – but you should get over the fact that there are no rescue cats, seizure-defending cats, seeing-eye cats, bomb/drug-sniffing cats, security cats, etc. it's fine, we're talking about pets, but dogs are soooo much more eager to please, and so much better adapted to human domestication, its just not a fair comparison. and again this is totally besides the point of your enjoyment. but don't shit on others because dogs are impressive. they are.

Oct 27, 2017

hah, no insecurity there at all

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
I love my dog, but I have far less patience for her than I do for my cats. I am the care give to all the pets, and I'm very protective of my dog versus the cats (she is smaller than the cats). But for whatever reason the cats and I just along bett
I love those. They're huge.

I just got a 6th month old Maine Coon, oh man he is a ham. He has become the number one best playmate for my Chihuahua, plus it's the only pet we have that my son does not mind being around (autistic kiddo).

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
oh please. cat owners can be defensive as fuck, as you just pointed out.

you shouldn't feel defensive – but you should get over the fact that there are no rescue cats, seizure-defending cats, seeing-eye cats, bomb/drug-sniffing cats, security cats, etc. it's fine, we're talking about pets, but dogs are soooo much more eager to please, and so much better adapted to human domestication, its just not a fair comparison. and again this is totally besides the point of your enjoyment. but don't shit on others because dogs are impressive. they are.
Thanks for doubling down to prove my point.

Nov 9, 2017
Turns out a lot of people are shitty cat owners which then makes the cats even more independent and unfriendly to strangers.

My cats are wonderful and I get constant compliments on how awesome they are from my visitors. Lots of "they are nothing like my [insert relative]'s cats who just hate everyone.' They walk up to total strangers, lay on the ground, roll on their backs and go for a belly rub just like the good bois.

BS, cats are independent animals by nature and most of them only have 1 or 2 people they actually love to be with. Just because a cat won't befriend everyone who walks through the door doesn't mean they are poorly trained lol.

Anyone who has ever dated someone who has a cat as a pet can attest that they usually won't like you right off the bat or might actually be jealous of the time you are spending with their loved one.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017

Nobody is saying their cats play consistently at beck and call. What?

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I own neither but dogs can be useful so they are better.

Really we should just eat cats

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Why does anyone have to be better, i love dumb dogs and dumb cats too. They're all more than good enough for love.

Status
Not open for further replies.