• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you believe in a loving, just God?

• Yes

Votes: 151 12.4%
  • No

Votes: 1,068 87.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, and I haven't for decades.

Sandy Hook wouldn't exist if there were a god that gave a shit about people. The Holocaust wouldn't have happened if there were a benign god watching over everything. Tiananmen Square doesn't happen if god is taking care of people. Hiroshima and Nagasaki aren't wiped out if Jesus can take the wheel.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
No, and I haven't for decades.

Sandy Hook wouldn't exist if there were a god that gave a shit about people. The Holocaust wouldn't have happened if there were a benign god watching over everything. Tiananmen Square doesn't happen if god is taking care of people. Hiroshima and Nagasaki aren't wiped out if Jesus can take the wheel.
FrEe WiLl (the ultimate, inconsistent copout that absolves god of any moral responsibility)

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
No, but it has nothing to do with 2020. There's just no evidence for any kind of God, loving or evil.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People still believe in god in worse area's of the world. Honestly all this doom and gloom shit about 2020 is pretty sad considering how good some of have it here in the states compared to other parts of the world have had it bad for years. I have family living in Central America that live under way worse conditions then I ever will have it and they are the most religious people I know.
Well yeah suffering is a primary motivator of religious belief for many people. It provides meaning and purpose externally in a world that often lacks those things in exchange for rampant suffering and injustice

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe in God so by default, no.

I also don't think that if a God exists it would have to be loving, the reason I don't believe is the lack of evidence.

NoneLikeAlex

Oct 27, 2017
I don't.

I was raised by my grandmother, who was completely devoted to God. She died after a long bout with cancer and other ailments, and really suffered towards the end.

Does a loving God allow that for someone who did nothing but put their faith in it for nearly their entire life?

Iron Mike

Sep 28, 2019
I've never needed anything to directly affect my life in order to answer this question. Babies are born with AIDS.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
This year? Back in the day, the plague would ravage cities. Bodies would line the streets, those who took the bodies and burned / buried them ended up with the plague, emperors, kings, etc all succumbed to it. It was so bad people migrated north to the cold to hide from it. It followed them. Then you have the brutal inequality, patriarchy, etc of the past. 2020 isn't going to shadow people's thoughts on religion if the atrocities of the past never did.

Unrivaled

Banned
Oct 13, 2020
There is no God and everyone knows it. Some just choose to believe in something because of fear.

In my opinion.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This year? Back in the day, the plague would ravage cities. Bodies would line the streets, those who took the bodies and burned / buried them ended up with the plague, emperors, kings, etc all succumbed to it. It was so bad people migrated north to the cold to hide from it. It followed them. Then you have the brutal inequality, patriarchy, etc of the past. 2020 isn't going to shadow people's thoughts on religion if the atrocities of the past never did.

Yeah, you can just open pretty much any history book or listen to any true crime podcast and be presented with immediate evidence against a kind and loving god.

Although I just listened to a podcast where someone found god after their sister was horrifically murdered so I guess coping through religion is fine even if it seems kinda counter intuitive.

Oct 25, 2017
What a stupid line of reasoning. God, if there is one, gave us EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO STOP ALL THIS SHIT but PEOPLE chose to be selfish, inconsiderate, and greedy. We (the collective "we") deserve this because we couldn't put aside stupid prejudices for even a few months to pull together and help each other out.

kamikazety

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Another religion hating circle jerk. Is there literally any point to these kind of questions on this forum.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
lol no.

And that is to say I'm not militant about it, and am not emotionally charged to hate theists. But there is no god. And I didn't need a bad year to know that.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
This post is going to get dark, but it is the reason I am no longer religious and never will be again
- Raised JW
- Forced to hate others that aren't JW, absolutely convinced that everyone was against me and my religion and stopping me from being the few to enter heaven
- Was sexually abused in the group on several occasions and threatened. Was told that myself, my mother and my sister will be shot dead if I said anything
- Was put in a with a JW family after school because my mother worked late hours . They forced me to read, study and know the bible or be punished, punishments for not knowing phrases include: Being left 30kms outside of the city and told to walk back, being sprayed down and left outside naked in the yard in cold weather, having literal human shit thrown at me, starved and sleep depraived. Once again, threatened if I spoke out
- I had all my history books and dinosaur models/books destroyed by the JW families kids when they came over. They said it was "The devils work".
- My best friend in high school was raped by a pastor at the age of 12, she was told repeatedly that it was "Gods will" and other such stuff
- I was abused by a Christian maniac in high school who set me up every chance he could to try and be the victim. Everything from having my computer banned to accusing me of theft.

This is just the icing on the cake, there are deeper layers that are too disturbing to go into so I will avoid that. If anyone asks me to be religious after this, I will ignore them, water off a ducks back. Just as a reminder, this post has nothing to do with looking for sympathy, this is entirely about understanding.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Another religion hating circle jerk. Is there literally any point to these kind of questions on this forum.

Read the abuse I suffered and then ask yourself wether or not I should be able to speak about it, or silenced by suppressive comments. If you think what I suffered is not justified enough to dislike religion, then tell me what is.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
Ex-JW, first year as a registered voter and voted against Trump. Dealing with alot of deaths in family and with friends this year... Everything just pushed me over the edge, looking back feels like I was in a cult, tbh.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Before 2020, I knew that a religious person actually believes that goat-herders, living in the desert 2,000 years ago, actually knew more about the nature of reality than our scientists do today. Seems like an untenable belief to me, but what do I know.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hahahahaha...hahahahahhahahahaha...HAHAHAHAHA FUCKING NO.

There is no God. There is no higher power that would allow this year to happen. To allow this fucking timeline to happen. There's only horrible, horrible humanity.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
Is it weird that I want to believe, but just can't?

I use the bible as a template on how to be a good person, but I don't base any political beliefs off of it.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
My pops tells me 2020 is a punishment for our evil ways. God wants us to repent because it lOvEs us...

Total fairy tale. Like something I'd find in one of my vidya games.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
This post is going to get dark, but it is the reason I am no longer religious and never will be again
- Raised JW
- Forced to hate others that aren't JW, absolutely convinced that everyone was against me and my religion and stopping me from being the few to enter heaven
- Was sexually abused in the group on several occasions and threatened. Was told that myself, my mother and my sister will be shot dead if I said anything
- Was put in a with a JW family after school because my mother worked late hours . They forced me to read, study and know the bible or be punished, punishments for not knowing phrases include: Being left 30kms outside of the city and told to walk back, being sprayed down and left outside naked in the yard in cold weather, having literal human shit thrown at me, starved and sleep depraived. Once again, threatened if I spoke out
- I had all my history books and dinosaur models/books destroyed by the JW families kids when they came over. They said it was "The devils work".
- My best friend in high school was raped by a pastor at the age of 12, she was told repeatedly that it was "Gods will" and other such stuff
- I was abused by a Christian maniac in high school who set me up every chance he could to try and be the victim. Everything from having my computer banned to accusing me of theft.

This is just the icing on the cake, there are deeper layers that are too disturbing to go into so I will avoid that. If anyone asks me to be religious after this, I will ignore them, water off a ducks back. Just as a reminder, this post has nothing to do with looking for sympathy, this is entirely about understanding.

What... the hell

I'm so sorry you had to go through this :(

Oct 31, 2017
No, I've been a non-believer since childhood.

That said, the stuff that's unfolded in the last 5 years, but in particular this one, has made me more inclined to think that maybe we are within some kind of simulation if there is a creator. The reason I think this is because the way things have cascaded is an awful lot like someone sitting at a desk playing some Sims/Sim City and just thinking "I think it'd be fun to shake up the ant farm", as they unleash all the disasters and turn domiciles into labyrinthian mazes.

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
I'm not religious at all.

If there is a god, I think he was like "Yo here's a planet and a bunch of other shit around it. Cool and weird stuff can happen. Took a lot of juice to make it. Take care of it. Peace" Then he dipped to another dimension or some shit, and we did what we did with what we were given.

Homie is busy in other dimensions probably. 🤣

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
hrmmmmmmmm

Nope

But Ghosts ? Yeah hell yeah ....but it doesn't go beyond that.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Even if I did believe in god, I don't think it is a just and good deity. Quite the opposite, I think they're a cunt trickster who fucks with humanity and is a narcissist.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
If I die and end up at Heaven's gates, it is not I who must prove my goodness to God, but God who must prove His goodness to me.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
To anyone saying God wouldn't let this happen so they don't exist... Well, the Gods are crueler than 2020.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely am on the live and let live of religious debates (I am myself an Agnostic Atheist), but while driving in the neighborhood I often go across a sign near (I assume) a Church that says "God is good ALL the time".

I admit that leaves me perplexed, wondering what people whose lives have been wrecked in 2020 (and before) would think of God being Good "ALL the time"...

Status
Not open for further replies.