• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
has anyone dealt with this? im so exhausted from having to have an opinion on everything. i consider myself a very self aware person (to a fault) and yet i cannot get this under control

i dont actually care about the things i care about

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Stay out of discussions and be a casual observer rather than participate more often

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
You don't need to be an active participant in everything. Sometimes, it's best to click on a thread, read some stuff, and close out. And then maybe look deeper via searches and wiki articles if you feel interested enough.

Oct 28, 2017
ResetEra-moderators.gif
tenor.gif

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not like this, but know people who are. They are exhausting to be around.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
has anyone dealt with this? im so exhausted from having to have an opinion on everything. i consider myself a very self aware person (to a fault) and yet i cannot get this under control

Yes, it is exhausting.

As I have gotten older, I am have been able to keep it under control much more. To the point where I avoid discussions I do not need to be involved in entirely.

That said, be careful not to let this become full-blown apathy. I have observed burnout like this from other people that leaves them completely detached. This is much, MUCH worse.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR

It's the OCD nature in us. Not always simple to control or withhold.

If you want my opinion, you're better off stepping away from social media and forums until you feel better. <3

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
as hinted by others, i think this is an issue a lot of us have and maybe discussing it might be beneficial.

I totally get it. It's kind of like always needing to correct people or needing to be right when you know you're right. I have that issue, especially at work, but I've been trying to let things go recently and care less, etc.

OP
OP
construct

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
anyone else who feels this way, have you tried scheduling your day out more? i definitely don't want to start planning my every hour but i often think i should start planning my free time better and focusing on reading, projects and learning.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Look I've dated many many Bioware characters in my life as a gamer, the most attractive of all males, so I can safely say: break up with her, hit the gym.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not only that, but I find it hard to be politically informed. On the one hand, everybody on the internet lies (either blatantly or by omission or by misrepresentation) like a motherfucker so you gotta double-check every single fucking thing anybody ever says, which is just tedious. And secondly, I don't even know where to begin having an opinion on, say, a trade deal. I would have to understand its potential social and economic ramifications which would take me hours to dig into and the scientific concensus might be inconclusive if I'm unlucky. The world is too complicated to be properly informed about everything.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
You can't be an expert about everything. Everybody has a right to an opinion, but an uneducated opinion is a worthless opinion that contributes nothing to a conversation. It can even be detrimental by adding misinformation. Lurk, listen, and learn. Don't have an opinion about everything, just comment on what you know.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Disengaging from "dIsCoUrSe" feels positively liberating these days. Don't be ignorant but sit back and don't always feel like you need to say something.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Having an opinion is fine.

But you don't always have to share it, and you don't always have to fight for it.

It's also totally okay to drop your opinion if someone argues a point well or proves you wrong. Some people hate being wrong so much that they will automaticaly fight the shit out of any hint of disagreement, and honestly, not every opinion needs to be fought for like that. It's completely okay to go "eh, you have a good point" about something and just move on. Not everything is so important that you have to spend tons of time and effort fighting for it.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
One thing about the internet I find amazing is how willing people are to show how ignorant they are about different subjects. When I know nothing about something, I just keep my mouth shut because I don't want to look stupid. Some people just need to comment about everything, even when it's obvious they have no idea what they are talking about.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
some make it much less exhausting by dropping in their drive-by post and never entering the thread again!

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
i have a poor opinion of people who feel the need to prove they are right and have the last word. just let it go. nobody will remember the discussion the next day. i say this as a passive observer since i don't like wasting time on needless confrontation.

OP
OP
construct

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
One thing about the internet I find amazing is how willing people are to show how ignorant they are about different subjects. When I know nothing about something, I just keep my mouth shut because I don't want to look stupid. Some people just need to comment about everything, even when it's obvious they have no idea what they are talking about.
i think the opposite can also be an issue, more in a profesional sense than internet but just answering things because you do know the answer doesn't lead to discussion/growth and sometimes answers should come in the form of questions.
some make it much less exhausting by dropping in their drive-by post and never entering the thread again!
this is also me and i disagree, its exhausting

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
There are some people here I can't help but wonder if they must spend all day, every day typing up post after post after post about god knows what. Do they actually have time to even read anything posted here? Never mind also having time to live their real-life lives.

In my 40's, I am listening more and posting less than I ever have.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the opposite is true. While it doesn't always apply, oftentimes the more I look into matters, the less confident I feel sharing my take on it. Getting informed on something also exposes how complicated a truly matter is and gives you perspective on how much you really don't know yet and how much is just plainly not really settled science. Economic policy is a good one for that - do you think billionaires should exist?

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
One thing that gets tiring is that people will attack you for not having an opinion. Oh you don't have an opinion(ie agree with me) on this niche issue. You are basically just as bad as the people doing this bad thing.

roosters93

Oct 25, 2017
a) who cares about your opinion
b) not knowing everything is normal and nothing is black and white. accepting these facts to realise you don't need to have an opinion on everything is freeing

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If you honestly dont care about something, just ignore it. I couldn't give two shits about Sports, so I just ignore Sports. And if someone asks me, I'll tell them that I couldn't care any less about Sportsball.