• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Marston

Oct 27, 2017
Been dating my gf for about 6 months now. We're a pretty good match and there are a lot of things I like about her. About 3 weeks ago, we found out she was pregnant (unplanned). Since then, I have done everything I can to prepare and to make sure I will be ready for my responsibilities (financial, being there for my gf and our kid, having an ok to good home for the three of us even if it's just renting for the time being, etc.).

Unfortunately, me and my gf have not talked about finances prior to finding out she was pregnant. I found out that she makes significantly less than me (but still enought to support herself and have a bit of savings) but she has no savings because she is supporting her mother (who can still work but has chosen not to work since her daughter starting working). She is paying for absolutely everything and her mom is just freeloading off of her. I understand her wanting to support her mother, but having to basically pay for everything is quite horrifying for me (as my parents never asked me to support them - only that I do well and support myself). What's worse is that she told me she already talked to her mother about her expenses and her mom just tried to guilt trip her.

Now her mother wants us to get married (because she is quite traditional and because my gf is 7 weeks pregnant) but again, the thought of marrying someone with no savings and has a freeloading mother is something I didn't see for myself (It would likely get worse if we get married as I will likely be forced to pay for almost everything for our family. I am not sure what to do at this point. I am trying to hold it together and prepare as well as I could (with my gf) for our kid, and my gf wants to get married as well (as she is also quite traditional) but again, this thought of marrying someone with little financial capability (instead of the financial side of our marriage being a partnership or at least close to it) is making me sick.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Do you love her? Do you love her to the point you want to get married? Are you happy to be bringing a child into this world other than her financial standing?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Getting married to someone because their mom wants you to is a recipe for disaster imo. It honestly doesn't sound based on the short summary you posted that either of you are probably prepared for whats coming.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
ABORT. Seriously. It's been 6 months, you barely know her. Evidenced by the fact you didn't even know about her financial situation.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
You NEED to have a long, serious talk about her mother... That's not healthy.

And no, you don't have to marry no one.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you keep the child:

If the mother has no reason she cannot work, she should be supporting herself now there's a child.

I don't want to be harsh, but you have the control now. The child is more important.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
6 months? If she isn't aborting, then this is only going to end with you having to pay her child support

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Been dating my gf for about 6 months now. We're a pretty good match and there are a lot of things I like about her. About 3 weeks ago, we found out she was pregnant (unplanned). Since then, I have done everything I can to prepare and to make sure I will be ready for my responsibilities (financial, being there for my gf and our kid, having an ok to good home for the three of us even if it's just renting for the time being, etc.).

Unfortunately, me and my gf have not talked about finances prior to finding out she was pregnant. I found out that she makes significantly less than me (but still enought to support herself and have a bit of savings) but she has no savings because she is supporting her mother (who can still work but has chosen not to work since her daughter starting working). She is paying for absolutely everything and her mom is just freeloading off of her. I understand her wanting to support her mother, but having to basically pay for everything is quite horrifying for me (as my parents never asked me to support them - only that I do well and support myself). What's worse is that she told me she already talked to her mother about her expenses and her mom just tried to guilt trip her.

Now her mother wants us to get married (because she is quite traditional and because my gf is 7 weeks pregnant) but again, the thought of marrying someone with no savings and has a freeloading mother is something I didn't see for myself (It would likely get worse if we get married as I will likely be forced to pay for almost everything for our family. I am not sure what to do at this point. I am trying to hold it together and prepare as well as I could (with my gf) for our kid, and my gf wants to get married as well (as she is also quite traditional) but again, this thought of marrying someone with little financial capability (instead of the financial side of our marriage being a partnership or at least close to it) is making me sick.

Dude don't marry this person just because you have a kid.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate Joke
Mod Edit: Inappropriate Image Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
Talk to the mother that she should start working to give good example to her daughter's kid. Might not work but it's worth a try.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
Abort, is this an option? you should discuss this with your gf

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Sorry man, it doesn't seem you are 100% into the future of you two as a couple. If she decides to have the child, just put the child first in any of your decisions.

Your partner also needs to put the needs of the child at the Forefront. Paying for her mothers needs who can take care of herself, needs to be addressed.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Put your foot down about her mother. She can get off her ass and work. Your relationship and your child are the most important thing.

OP
OP
John Marston

John Marston

Oct 27, 2017
FYI, abortion/termination is not legal in our country. There are still ways of course, but me and my gf have not discussed it yet. I fear that If I tell my gf that I do not want to get married, she will freak out as well. In that scenario, I do not know if she will carry our child to term or look for ways terminate.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Financials such a big consideration? Jesus...do what you need to for that kid but don't marry now.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been dating my gf for about 6 months now. We're a pretty good match and there are a lot of things I like about her.
wow yeah the white-hot passion is just jumping out of this one right out the gate.

Don't marry her because you accidentally got her pregnant. If you WANT to marry her, great, but it uhh doesn't seem like it, and it also seems like this mom situation is a recipe for future disaster. You need to have a long and serious talk about that, about whether you WANT this baby, and whether you really want to marry her. There are alternatives.

Oct 27, 2017
Just take legal control of the kid after awhile
This seems the most reasonable and realistic scenario.

This is completely anecdotical OP, but I've met at least 3 women who got married with the dude who got them pregnant when pressured by their mothers, and got divorced not much later after that. So, I'll suggest that you shouldn't marry and be ready for that child support. And do what I quoted.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey OP, if you don't mind me asking, I'm assuming the pregnancy happened because you stopped using protection.

Just asking because this situation is like my greatest fear.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are her financials or what she does with them even in consideration

Support your kid if you've the means

Hell it wouldn't matter if she's rich or your rich or either of your parents are rich

Support your kid

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
You guys realize abortion is not the OP's decision to make? Ultimately OP, whether you have the baby or not, is one decision. But you don't have to compound that by getting married or taking on her financial burden. Just because you guys have a kid together, doesn't mean you have to get married, it doesn't even mean you have to be a couple.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wtf at the recommendations to run to the nearest abortion clinic

you need to sit down and have a conversation about what you can and cannot afford moving forward and likely explain that her mother falls into the latter category. It's also not fair to assume that you will support the whole family. Plenty of working moms out there

Kids are expensive but babies are not, so you have some time to figure things out. I am in a somewhat similar situation -- had a kid with my financially irresponsible girlfriend. I had to take on her debt, etc. as she is staying home but I manage all the finances now so I can deal with it. I have not gotten married, but if you are in the US there are a lot of financial benefits to doing so. Don't get married just for money or kids though. Neither marriage nor kids will save a relationship that otherwise has an end date

Normalizing abortion would go a long way to solving a lot of problems. Acting like it's some gross or terrible choice is the real issue.

Nowhere has OP indicated he doesn't want the kid, let alone whether his girlfriend does

It's not even about whether they can support the kid -- the concern was supporting his girlfriend and her mother

Last edited:

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Dont get married if you dont want to, but youre not getting out of supporting the kid

Oct 25, 2017
I think they mean that ultimately that's not OP choice, since it seems to imply that she should pressure her hard for having an abortion.
people love to misinterpret things intentionally for the sake of their own agenda. Given the context of the thread it's obvious that everyone suggesting an abortion, including myself, meant to bring it up as an option and have a conversation about it. It's not like his gf is here to speak for herself.

OP
OP
John Marston

John Marston

Oct 27, 2017
I am okay w/ abortion in days when it gets rough, the thought of having to prepare for a child (and the burden of having to support not just the child but her mom as well because she is also supporting her freeloading mom).

I am more terrified however of having to marry someone who is nowhere near as financially capable as I am (note that I am not rich at all - just earn good and enough for myself, share w/ my mom/brother, and enjoy a bit).

I will admit that while there are a lot of things to like w/ my GF, her recent flare ups have lead to some fights (I don't know if it's the pregnancy or her real inner personality is coming out).

Shit is crazy. I've tried and done everything to be strong. But I am facing the hardest and most complex challenge of my life so far (turning 31) and I am not certain what decision I should make.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would discuss it with her in detail, see if there are other avenues you could take. It's a hard situation to parse through, but dating her for only six months with a kid on the way sounds very rough. Have you guys known each other for a while before dating, or is it just the six months?

Oct 27, 2017
I am okay w/ abortion in days when it gets rough, the thought of having to prepare for a child (and the burden of having to support not just the child but her mom as well because she is also supporting her freeloading mom).

I am more terrified however of having to marry someone who is nowhere near as financially capable as I am (note that I am not rich at all - just earn good and enough for myself, share w/ my mom/brother, and enjoy a bit).

I will admit that while there are a lot of things to like w/ my GF, her recent flare ups have lead to some fights (I don't know if it's the pregnancy or her real inner personality is coming out).

Shit is crazy. I've tried and done everything to be strong. But I am facing the hardest and most complex challenge of my life so far and I am not certain what decision I should make.
Talk to her. Tell her that if you both choose to keep the kid, tell her that you (as a couple) cannot support her mother, which seems you're more worried abour her than the kid :p. But lay it on the table and be clear.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Shit is crazy. I've tried and done everything to be strong. But I am facing the hardest and most complex challenge of my life so far (turning 31) and I am not certain what decision I should make.

pregnancy is not a valid excuse for shittiness

but it is certainly a source for stress

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

Shit is crazy. I've tried and done everything to be strong. But I am facing the hardest and most complex challenge of my life so far and I am not certain what decision I should make.

You don't have to marry anyone. You don't have control over what your GF ultimately decides to do about the baby, but you do have control over yourself, who you decide to marry, who you are with, whether you financially support her mother, ect...

Divorce those two things (the baby from marriage/ect...) from each other now.

Oct 25, 2017

If it were me, I would only proceed with having and keeping the child if all signs were positive. Since abortion is illegal and sounds like it may be difficult or traumatic for her, perhaps adoption is another choice. None of these things are easy but you don't want to ruin multiple lives just because you feel like you're being pressured into making a bad decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.