• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm about 20 hours in but for some reason I'm just not really feeling it? Which is weird cause I consider myself a pretty big JRPG fan and DQXi looks like it has everything that should satisfy my JRPG needs. It has charming characters, lovely aesthetics, decent battle system and story. Only real negative is the music bleh lol(I have the PS4 version). But despite all this, I just find it....boring. I find it hard to stay engaged since I find myself not really caring about the characters & story despite the game being objectively decent in both categories. Now I do prefer action rpgs than turn based but that didn't stop me from loving and enjoying Persona 5. I hate that I feel this way because I really do want to enjoy this game not just because I dropped 50$ on it but because of all the glowing reviews & praise it received from everyone. However, I'm starting to feel this game is more of an acquired taste and just not really for me. Anyone else feel similar 20 hours in but changed their tune as they continued playing?

Also, I recently bought the FFX/X-2 collection in hopes of scratching that JRPG itch that DQXI isn't really doing for me atm. How does it compare to DQXI? I've played it years ago when I bought a used PS2 copy but it looked like shit running on my OG PS3 so i didn't get too far and quickly dropped it.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
FFX/X-2 are both quite shit, but you might enjoy them if you thought Persona 5 was good.

DQ is definitely old school down to the bone. It really doesn't have any flourishes that make it stand out. And yes, the PS4 music is a crime against humanity.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
I found it boring too. It's more of the same deal(too traditional to my liking) and music doesn't help.. not a fan.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Dude I'm a huge jrpg fan myself and I feel the same way about it as you op. However I've never cared for the Dragon Quest games and the only one I played through till completion was DQ IX on the DS, which was an oddball one anyway. I was pretty excited to see if this Switch version would get me on board but I'm just setting it aside for now and I'll try again someday when I'm in the mood.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a slow going game and never really becomes all that exciting. Great game overall, but not something that's gonna covert many JRPG averse.

FFX's combat and leveling systems are a lot more interesting / engaging early on compared to DQXI, which has issues with being far too easy (and random difficulty spikes on the hard mode), and the story has a lot more hooks. I'd give it a try.

neufel

Oct 29, 2017
Switzerland
Dragon Quest in general sadly feels like an acquired taste, a taste you need to acquire before playing the games.

FFX is already retro but might feel a lot more modern to you.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
FFX is awesome, very unique game in terms of setting, art and tone. I love it and would highly recommend

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Dude I'm a huge jrpg fan myself and I feel the same way about it as you op. However I've never cared for the Dragon Quest games and the only one I played through till completion was DQ IX on the DS, which was an oddball one anyway. I was pretty excited to see if this Switch version would get me on board but I'm just setting it aside for now and I'll try again someday when I'm in the mood.

that's surprisingly exactly my case

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The game is more about old school charm, in not surprised it would come across as boring for some. The combat in particular is pretty much the most basic turn based battle system we've been playing since the 90s.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It immediately clicked with me so I don't know what to tell you

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFX is amazing. And I say this as someone else who found DQXI boring (though I played FFX back in the day).

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I can see how you feel OP, despite loving DQXI myself. If you played 20 hours and not feeling the game, I don't think you will feel it until the end.

Since you already bought FFX, you should give it a try for sure. I can't really say how newcomers will feel about FFX these days but when I played at launch I loved it. I think it feels less "old school" than DQXI even though it came out much earlier.
And I don't mean "old school" in terms of technical side,QoL stuff, or any sort of negative way either.

Nov 4, 2017
I love the characters, art style and story telling in the game. But yeah, the gameplay itself is pretty bland at times. Also the PS4 music makes me want to jam a pencil in my ears. I think I'm going to take a break from it and come back later. I just got up to the Hawaiian-inspired town.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i really got into it off the bat but i had not played an rpg game since ffx and before that it was ff7 so i haven't had time to get tired of the formula.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
i quit around 60 hours, a little bit into what i assume is act 2

it didn't catch on or get better for me. i'll probably give it another try in 5 years on the switch version i think with the QoL and portable ease-of-access.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I understand where you're coming from OP, I did manage to beat the game but I definitely never felt excited to continue playing and mostly just completed it so I could move on to something else. It's great at what it's trying to do, but not everyone is going to like what that is.

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
i think one of the reasons you find it boring is that you own the PS4 version , cos you already experience it thus you find it boring

i own the ps4 version too . therefore i am not buying DQXI on the switch at $59 with my current financial status , i will wait for digital a sale next year

Maybe you can try FF12 on Nintendo Switch for a try , its a good JRPG

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
i think one of the reasons you find it boring is that you own the PS4 version , cos you already experience it thus you find it boring

i own the ps4 version too . therefore i am not buying DQXI on the switch at $59 with my current financial status , i will wait for digital a sale next year

Maybe you can try FF12 on Nintendo Switch for a try , its a good JRPG
I think what he means is that he is playing it for the first time on PS4 version. At least that's how I understood it.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Dragon quest is definitely a 'cosy and slow' RPG compared to the modern and cool of Persona 5, or any action RPG. It is more of a fluffy blanket than a rollercoaster.

That said, don't underestimate the story. I haven't played much of XI yet, but I just completed DQV and that story really goes some places.

Honestly, I always want to enjoy RPGs more than I do. I have never got much past the end of disc 1 in Final Fantasy 7, and I usually abandon ship within 15 hours. I ended up revisiting some RPGs a decade later and enjoying them enough to complete it, but that's often because I know what to expect.

The tricky thing about RPGs is that the people that talk about them the most have completed them, and long since forgotten the annoying parts.

good luck!

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Every time I try and play Dragon Quest I get bored and tap out after 5 hours. There's just nothing compelling about it.

Now Dragon Quest Monsters, at least the monster catching is a good hook. That's playable.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The characters, story, and bevy of quality of life features makes it very bearable to me, but I can easily understand how it might not go well with folks. It's very dedicated to retaining its old school design identity in key areas like combat, and there's been a lot more engaging systems to emerge since the time DQ was defining the basics of the genre. DQ itself has pushed boundaries a lot less than other series, I feel.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to like it, but it was so generic feeling and boring to play through. The music drove me insane

OP
OP

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Video games are hilarious. "I'm 20 hours in, having a hard time getting into X."

20 hours fam. 20 hours!?
Lmao. I got it around December of last year and have been playing on and off. I want to give it a chance which is why I keep going back to it with hopes of it eventually grabbing me but I've just been going through the motions for most of those 20 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.