• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls
Witcher 3
Resident Evil 7
Forza Horizon 3
Hollow Knight
Dying Light
Prey
Overwatch
Final Fantasy XV
Street Fighter V

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Doom
God of War
Spider-Man
Wolfenstein The New Order
Witcher 3
Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy
Red Dead Redemption 2
Sunset Overdrive
Hitman
Forza Horizon 4

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. I'm in a similar situation to the OP, and I've got a PC/PS4 now to boot.

*Watched*

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of my favorites

The Witness
Metal Gear Solid V: Definitive Edition
Mortal Kombat X
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Bloodborne
Horizon Zero Dawn
NiOh
Nier Automata
Resident Evil 7
God of War

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
OP what was the last game you played? All suggestions have been ace, so nothing to really add.

Could you update the thread with your impressions once you pick out your first game?

Super intrigued what your thoughts will be, past 5 years saw many releases in my GOAT list.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Okay, people are pushing for Inside. I loved Limbo so I guess I'll give it a try. And Nioh as well? Not sure about that. Will have to look up some gameplay videos to see if it's up my alley.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My recommendation.

- Naughty Dog catalog
Uncharted Collection
Uncharted 4
Uncharted Lost Legacy
The Last of Us Remastered

- Quantic Dream catalog
Indigo prophecy
Heavy Rain
Beyond 2 Souls
Detroit: Become Human

- Telltale Games catalog
The Walking Dead Collection
Tales from the Borderlands

- Others
Until Dawn
Firewatch
Mafia 3
InFamous Second Son and InFamous First Light
Spider-Man
Horizon Zero Dawn

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2
Grand Theft Auto V
Far Cry 5
The Last of Us Remastered
Uncharted 4
Detroit Become Human
Forza Horizon 3/4
Spider-Man
Sunset Overdrive
Life Is Strange

OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
OP what was the last game you played? All suggestions have been ace, so nothing to really add.

Could you update the thread with your impressions once you pick out your first game?

Super intrigued what your thoughts will be, past 5 years saw many releases in my GOAT list.

Will update this or make a new thread with my impressions for sure. Last game I played? I think you mean the most recently released one, right? I can't remember- maybe it was Bioshock Infinite (meh) or perhaps DmC (which I looved. Way more than DMC 4 actually). I also played Guacamelee and Rogue Legacy.

Oh wait I remember. It was Dark Souls 2. Bit of a letdown after 1. But ran way better on my system that the first one.

DeepChord

Jan 21, 2018
Thanks for the great suggestions guys. This is how the list is looking right now-

For Sure-
Bloodborne
Spider-Man
God of War
The Witcher 3
Forza Horizon 4
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Maybe-
Tetris Effect (sooo this is a funky tetris game?)
Undertale
No Man's Sky (this is a guilty pleasure guys)
Nier: Automata
The Witness
Persona 5 (No idea what Persona games are, but seems highly recommended)
Horizon Zero Dawn (love the graphics, but not sure how good gameplay/story is)
Night in the Woods (have heard a lot of good things about this)
Firewatch (roaming a forest and living in a watch tower sounds cool)
Uncharted 4
Doom (love fps games, but thinking of picking Wolfenstein over this, as I have a history with that series)
Celeste (looks like an indie platformer. Can't tell what's special without spoiling myself. But great reviews)
Hollow Knight (Great art, and I'm a huge Souls fan)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (don't like clunky, cumbersome games. Heard this one had responsiveness issues)
Last of US Remastered (had the intro spoiled. Still want to play it though)
Stardew Valley (peaceful farming game? sounds awesome)

So as you see, that's way more than 10. Some help filtering please?

you really can't make anything wrong with any of these games. they are all great in their own way.

I'd add Dishonored 2 and Prey and be set. Sorry, can't help filtering :D

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the great suggestions guys. This is how the list is looking right now-

For Sure-
Bloodborne
Spider-Man
God of War
The Witcher 3
Forza Horizon 4

Maybe-
Undertale
The Witness
Uncharted 4
Doom (love fps games, but thinking of picking Wolfenstein over this, as I have a history with that series)
Celeste (looks like an indie platformer. Can't tell what's special without spoiling myself. But great reviews)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (don't like clunky, cumbersome games. Heard this one had responsiveness issues)

So I take it you have already played the last gen version of Dragon's Dogma + Dark Arisen then? Because if not, it really is not a game to be missed for numerous gameplay specific reasons. Hollow Knight is also more of a Metroid game with a Souls skin and a very select few similar mechanics than it is an actual Souls "like" game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
In what way do you only have time for single player games? Multiplayer is often even better in shorter but more intense gaming sessions.

Bloodborne is great and has a good flow. If you dont have time for longer gaming sessions im not sure that Red Dead Redemption 2 is a good choice like some suggested. Its slow pace and much is story and buildups.

I have a huge competitive streak. And addiction issues when it comes to games. If I start a good multiplayer game I'll do nothing else with my life. Can't have that.

Nihilus

Oct 28, 2017
In no particular order;

God of war
Bloodborne
DooM
Nioh
Dead Cells
Witcher 3
Dark Souls 3
Titanfall 2
Divinity: Original sin 2
Resident Evil 7

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
Call of Duty: World War II
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Start with those, and once you're done with them all move on to some of the older Call of Duty titles. They're all good.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
DOOM
Resident Evil VII
Celeste
God of War
Spider-Man
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (you're better off with this than Uncharted 4, trust me)
Bloodborne
Hitman
Titanfall 2
SUPERHOT

Welcome back!

Jimbojim

Jan 10, 2018
Witcher 3
Resident Evil 7
DOOM
Dragon Quest XI
Celeste
Hollow Knight
Ori: Blind Forest
God of War
Red Dead Redemption 2
Last of Us Remastered

OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
Call of Duty: World War II
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Start with those, and once you're done with them all move on to some of the older Call of Duty titles. They're all good.

I haven't been able to PLAY games. I've still followed game news. Soooo nice troll. IGN 7.8/10, Too much Duty. :P

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
1. God of War
2. Spider-Man
3. Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection
4. Uncharted 4
5. The Wolf Among Us
6. Until Dawn
7. Resident Evil 7
8. Assassin's Creed Origins or Odyssey
9. Elder Scrolls Oblivion (not sure if you've played that since its older than five years, but one of my favorite games of all time and you can make it look stunning on PC)
10. The Witcher 3

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Spiderman
  2. Undertale
  3. Axiom Verge
  4. Freedom Planet
  5. Shovel Knight
  6. Horizon Zero Dawn
  7. Nier Automata
  8. Rogue Legacy
  9. God of War
  10. Witcher 3
If you had mentioned Nintendo at all though this list would've been very different. They've had MULTIPLE million + sellers and all phenomenal.
If you get Nintendo stuff I highly recommend:

• Zelda- Breath of the Wild (wii U/Switch)
  • Splatoon 2 (Switch)
  • Hyrule Warriors (Switch for complete edition.)
  • Smash Bros Ultimate (Switch)
  • Super Mario Maker (Wii U /3ds)
  • Culdcept Revolt (3ds) [one of the greatest card game series in history. This title is one of the biggest rpg/long card game experiences that exists and its fantastic. Its a hugely addictive thing and if you never play anything else play it. Basically an RPG where everything is Magic the Gathering meets Monopoly. Place monsters on property and either pay tolls or fight for the land. Winner is whoever reaches a monetary value first. Game is insanely good.]

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Bloodborne
The Witness
Hollow Knight
Alien Isolation
Doom 2016
God of War
The Witcher 3
Red Dead Redemption 2
Metal Gear Solid V
Zelda Breath of the Wild

See you in 5 years :)

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, people are pushing for Inside. I loved Limbo so I guess I'll give it a try. And Nioh as well? Not sure about that. Will have to look up some gameplay videos to see if it's up my alley.
If you loved Limbo chances are Inside will blow you away. And its only like what? 3-4 hours long? Can't go wrong with that.

It would help to give a list of your favourite genres to try and suggest the best games in those.

For example, if you love puzzle/adventure games, The Witness can't be missed. ARPGs? Gotta play Bloodborne. 2D puzzle platformers? Celeste, and so on.

Good luck and keep us posted :)

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buy yourself a used Wii U or Switch - either of them - as Breath of the Wild is a must play. I'd argue more than any of the other games mentioned in this thread.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
If you loved Limbo chances are Inside will blow you away. And its only like what? 3-4 hours long? Can't go wrong with that.

It would help to give a list of your favourite genres to try and suggest the best games in those.

For example, if you love puzzle/adventure games, The Witness can't be missed. ARPGs? Gotta play Bloodborne. 2D puzzle platformers? Celeste, and so on.

Good luck and keep us posted :)

Thanks. As I said in my OP, I love all genres, from RPGs to RTSs to Grand Strategy games to point and click adventures, you name it. I love puzzle games and 2d platformers too. Super Meat Boy is an all time favourite.

May 5, 2018
Hmm. I don't have a PS4 but these are the games I'd recommend for that system:
  • God of War
  • Bloodborne (Resetera's favorite game)
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Doom
  • Celeste
PC
  • Return of the Obra Dinn
  • Hollow Knight
  • Rocket League (on PS4 should be good too)
  • Battle Chef Brigade
  • Into the Breach
I know the PC games aren't all intense in graphics, but those are some of my favorite games in years. There's always Madden too, but don't know if you like Sports games.

Sgtpepper89

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Puzzle games would probably be poison for your brain if you easily get addicted. Try to check out the adventure/action games in here that has a start and a end.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017

For Sure-
Bloodborne
Spider-Man
God of War
The Witcher 3
Forza Horizon 4

Maybe-
Undertale
The Witness
Uncharted 4

I really want to rally for Night in the Woods and Stardew Valley because they are so different from everything else on this list.
Wasn't personally a fan of The Witness or Undertale, but those also stand out.

I have a huge competitive streak. And addiction issues when it comes to games. If I start a good multiplayer game I'll do nothing else with my life. Can't have that.

Oh boy, addictive behaviour and Stardew might not gel well though. I played this game until 4am on workdays. Just one more day... urgh, that was a rough time.
But it's sooooo gooood. And makes for a nice relaxing counter point to all those action games on the list.
ezgif-1-0ec091a400.gif

I must give props to Divinity: Original Sin as well though, that game is also very unique.

Oct 25, 2017
México
The PS4 Pro is a good choice, but you if you want to play multiplatform games, the Xbox One X is a better option in my opinion. Why? Better graphics, better controller, and the backwards compatible games look great. If you are interested in the PS4 exclusives, then get the Pro.

But if you don't have a lot of time to play, try a Nintendo Switch. Seriously... it's very nice to be able to play in your bed before going to sleep.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I'll build a PC and buy a PS4 pro for the games, so feel free to suggest any game on these platforms

Bloodborne
Witcher 3
Ori
Sunset Overdrive
Dark Souls 3
Persona 5
God of War
Spiderman
I don't like this one, but every one praises DOOM 2016
Also everyone loves Nier Automata

The Last Guardian is great, but the controls and stubborn AI can be a big roadblock. Give it a thought tho

Edit: how the hell did I forget about RDR2 and it's my GOTY lol.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
How do you feel about open world games with a good chunk of busy work?
I spent god knows how much time in GTA: San Andreas in the gym buffing my guy to the limit. And I reloaded Dark Souls 15 times at one point just to kill one of those disappearing turtle thingies that give you awesome loot when killed. I also farmed the hell out of Heide's Tower of Flame in Dark Souls 2 until I found out that enemies stop spawning after 12 kills. Thank god for Bonfire Ascetics.
So nah, don't mind some busy work. :P

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
PC and PS4 only? Don't worry I got you covered.

1. Bloodborne: The Old Hunters Edition
2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
3. Dark Souls 3
4. The Last of Us: Remastered
5. God of War (2018)
6. Monster Hunter: World
7. DOOM (2016)
8. Fallout 4
9. Resident Evil 7
10. Yakuza 0

Edited my list since OP turn out to be a lot more hardcore than I thought, didn't know you already played Dark Souls 1 and 2, praise the sun my man.

Last edited:

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
- Bloodborne
- DS III
- Xenoblade 2
- Stardew Valley
- Divinity Original Sin 2
- Overwatch
- Dead Cells
- FFXV (even with its MANY issues it's still something one has to experience)

For hte last 2 you probably can't go wrong with RDR 2 (haven't done it and not much interest in this, too much open world for me recently, I'm burned) and Witcher 3 (have played a bit but suffered from open world tiredness again).

May 5, 2018
I was going to recommend Rocket League but that's from the arcade sports genre and OP specifically said they don't like sports games.

Also, this is another reminder to check out Obra Dinn that game looks really unique.
Whoops, sorry about the Rocket League recommendation. Should have seen his requests. Ok replace RL with Steamworld Dig 2.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I was going to recommend Rocket League but that's from the arcade sports genre and OP specifically said they don't like sports games.

Also, this is another reminder to check out Obra Dinn that game looks really unique.
Actually, I love watching Rocket League on Twitch. I also love their crazy awesome success story. I don't like Fifa-like games. You know, football, basketball, NFL etc.. Arcade games I like just fine.
Will check out Obra Dinn. Thanks.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
TW3
RDR2
Bloodborne
GOW
DOOM
HZD
FH4
P5 (if you enjoy JRPGs)/ if not then Hollow Knight
INSIDE
Nioh

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan

Forget about Nioh, it's too repetitive and the loot system is terrible, play Bloodborne instead. It's the GOAT and has been mentioned like 20 times in this thread.

EDIT: SORRY! Didn't see your post on the first page. Have fun dude, we are all here to help if you need any tips, the Bloodborne community here is still very strong.

May 5, 2018
I played the first Steamworld Dig and loved it. So might check out the sequel. Thanks. :)
No problem. I haven't played the first one, but I played the sequel and coming from someone that doesn't play many Metroidvanias, had an absolute blast with it. Heard this one is also better than the first in every way too. You're in for a treat!

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I spent god knows how much time in GTA: San Andreas in the gym buffing my guy to the limit. And I reloaded Dark Souls 15 times at one point just to kill one of those disappearing turtle thingies that give you awesome loot when killed. I also farmed the hell out of Heide's Tower of Flame in Dark Souls 2 until I found out that enemies stop spawning after 12 kills. Thank god for Bonfire Ascetics.
So nah, don't mind some busy work. :P
Then The Witcher 3 and RDR2 are on the table.

You say you're worried about RDR2 being cumbersome with controls that aren't as responsive due to elaborate character animations, which is true, but that game is chock-full of side activities and distractions that in my few hours playing it I feel like I already got my money's worth.

I haven't played enough of it to give a final verdict, but so far it's a quality game, and you returned back to gaming just in time to experience it.