• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017

We are thrilled to announce that Haven is coming to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and Epic Games Store February 4th. Just in time for Valentine's Day.

IIRC PS4 and Switch missed the initial release due to COVID-19. I don't think there was an OT here, but a review thread featuring some thoughts on it:
www.resetera.com

Haven - Launch trailer and reviews

8.0/10 7.75/10 Haven Review – Love Conquers Some - Game Informer 9/10 Haven PC Review | GameWatcher 6/10 Review: Haven | GamingBoulevard 7/10 Haven | RPGFan

Launch trailer form last month ICYMI:

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Fair warning: it's super stylish and cute, but it's not a good videogame. Extremely repetitive and flimsy in its execution.

I was really disappointed by it.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Fair warning: it's super stylish and cute, but it's not a good videogame. Extremely repetitive and flimsy in its execution.

I do remember reading more than a few people being disappointed with the writing, with some being outright angry at it.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Fair warning: it has great dialogue... I enjoyed it despite the repetitive gameplay. Loved the artstyle and was itching for every new conversation and dialogue between two characters. I enjoyed the battle system (although it sometimes doesnt work 100%).

Oh and mandatory:

I played it on gamepass but i am going to buy it at some point to support them.

Oh and if you have a chance to play this with your loved one, do so.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
If you have Gamepass, it's already there to play. Played it in gamepass for pc, similar thoughts to Brazil . Interesting experience, but not a fun game.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

Kind of a bummer that this entire thread is probably going to be in response to this reply.

I disagree entirely and think it's an incredibly well written, fun to play videogame. Many people seem to agree! It's incredibly fun to play it with a loved one and its portrays a relationship in such a well thought-out, honest and real way that I haven't really seen in many video games.

Christo750

May 10, 2018

Its weird; I agree with this but still wound up digging it a lot anyway. The combat is bad, the UI is confusing, the soundtrack is repetitive, but the flying around the world is excellent enough to make up for it. The couple's romance is very well written, too.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

It's also surprisingly long. It kinda just kept going and the saves/loads between each area kinda suck the flow out of the game.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
The gameplay portion is pretty meh, but I'll standby the couples' writing 100%. I was interested in pretty much every conversation they had and felt they were really well-realized, even when one of them wasn't being in the best light depending on the scene.

The world-building is also pretty interesting and is told in a way that is expository yet feels like natural (for the most part) parts of their conversations that they would have.

May 10, 2019
I had some hopes for it, even after I really bounced off of Furi hard, and the gameplay was competent but it got kind of routine to the point of dull after a couple of hours. I do think they did pretty good with the narrative and character side of it though.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I wanted to play Haven more, flaws and all, but for a game where the premise is about a relationship, on the Xbox only one player could be signed into their account and earning achievements during local co-op, which was disappointing for my partner and I as we both like achievements and progress/saves tied to our individual accounts when playing together. The omission didn't mesh with our couple's game time.

I gave feedback about supporting two accounts w/ achievements in their Discord the day after release; I hope maybe that's part of a multiplatform update alongside the PS4 release.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

If anyone has any interest in the game at all, please ignore this.

It's absolutely a great game, with some great writing, and honestly the best portrayal of a genuine romantic relationship I've seen in the medium. It is well worth the price of admission, you should really give it a try.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
If anyone has any interest in the game at all, please ignore this.

It's absolutely a great game, with some great writing, and honestly the best portrayal of a genuine romantic relationship I've seen in the medium. It is well worth the price of admission, you should really give it a try.
That's a great way to deal with opposing opinions!

I had a lot of interest in the game - enough to pick it up day one - and was utterly disappointed by it. The relationship between the two main characters is fun and mostly well-written, but that's nowhere near enough to carry a 15-20 hour game, and everything actually playable in it is bad.

It doesn't look particularly good, there's no real challenge to it, all objectives are uninteresting, the level design can barely be called that, and gliding around feels awful on a basic level.

So I guess please ignore MrWindUpBird?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Played for about an hour and was so bored. Just gliding around following blue lines, the cutscene stuff was nice but really didn't elevate the game so much I could ignore how shitty the gameplay was.

Not to mention it ran like crap on my Series S, where it claims to be "Optimised for" on the tile. Not sure how the Switch one will run.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's a great way to deal with opposing opinions!

I had a lot of interest in the game - enough to pick it up day one - and was utterly disappointed by it. So I guess please ignore MrWindUpBird?
I disagree with your assessment of the game and you're feel free to tell people to ignore my assessment just as I feel people would do themselves a disservice by not playing the game. I know, opinions are weird. At the end of the day neither of us will sway people but I can still try to push people to try a beautiful game either way. Do what you wanna do dude.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
To counter-balance some of the more negative impressions in this thread: I really loved this game. It would actually probably go in my top 10 games of 2020.

It writes a relationship better than 95% of games (and even other media) and the characters are incredibly likeable.

The gameplay is super chill and I think that's important to know going in. It's a game about basically light-surfing around am open explorable set of islands. You collect new ingredients for recipes at your home base, and have some light JRPG style battles. If you want a crazy action game like Furi this is not it, but I found to be a really refreshingly laid back kind of gameplay that's woven in with truly wonderful character moments.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I do remember reading more than a few people being disappointed with the writing, with some being outright angry at it.

Do what? Lol, the writing is by far the strongest point of the game, I don't remember anyone getting angry about it. I remember some were critical because they felt there was too much implied sexual material but I didn't agree since it all felt very organic

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I disagree with your assessment of the game and you're feel free to tell people to ignore my assessment just as I feel people would do themselves a disservice by not playing the game. I know, opinions are weird. At the end of the day neither of us will sway people but I can still try to push people to try a beautiful game either way. Do what you wanna do dude.
Trying to be nonchalant about opinions "actually not even mattering" doesn't really work out when your first interaction in a thread is to immediately dismiss any opposing opinions as something you should ignore.

Great attitude there, but indeed, do what you wanna do.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017

As someone who really enjoyed the game, I can't disagree with you there.

The gameplay is very repetitive, and the combat is bad, I would rather it not be there.

But the characters are super likable and it tells a nice, if simple story. Highly recommend checking it out if it catches your eye.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Fair warning: it has great dialogue... I enjoyed it despite the repetitive gameplay. Loved the artstyle and was itching for every new conversation and dialogue between two characters. I enjoyed the battle system (although it sometimes doesnt work 100%).

Oh and mandatory:

I played it on gamepass but i am going to buy it at some point to support them.

Oh and if you have a chance to play this with your loved one, do so.

Soundtrack is definietly the biggest takeaway I have with the game. Some bangers on it, for sure.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I played a couple hours of this on Game Pass, and honestly kind of hated it. I'm glad it clicked for some people, but art style aside it just wasn't very fun.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Trying to be nonchalant about opinions "actually not even mattering" doesn't really work out when your first interaction in a thread is to immediately dismiss any opposing opinions as something you should ignore.

Great attitude there, but indeed, do what you wanna do.
It wasn't "any opposing" opinions, it was yours. You were the second post in the thread. People tend to read the first few posts and then immediately jump to the most recent. Your initial post was a one sentence line with barely any substance as to why people should avoid the game. Sure, you eventually made a second post detailing some of your points but had to effectively make a third post by editing because again, you didn't actually give a decent reasoning for why someone should avoid it.

The game has a great art style and really takes advantage of the water color aesthetic that it has going on. The two main characters of the game are extremely well written and some of the strongest characters to come out in a good long while. The portrayal of their relationship is genuine. The Game Bakers didn't have to go a shallow BioWare route to build that relationship as the entire game is centered around them so it flows in a believable, natural way.
The game can get repetitive, I won't deny that, but I'd be hard pressed to find any game that doesn't get repetitive at a certain point. The gameplay, however, perfectly ties into the relationship of the characters and how they interact with the world. When you're gliding through the world and they naturally hold hands? That's a great understanding of making the gameplay match the narrative. Combat, while a little lacking, is the same. The two characters build off each other. I'm sorry, but this is a game that perfectly fuses the narrative of the characters with the gameplay that few games can do.

People on this forum will spend 60 hours reading visual novels with no "gameplay" whatsoever so again, I would say that they would be doing themselves a disservice by not playing a game far shorter than that at 15-20 hours with decent gameplay and a great story.

All that being said, you are right. I shouldn't have led with telling people to ignore you post and should have just posted instead a counter, like here, as to why I believe they should give it a try. So I apologize for that, though I do stand by my opinions.

Last edited:

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
It wasn't "any opposing" opinions, it was yours. You were the second post in the thread. People tend to read the first few posts and then immediately jump to the most recent. Your initial post was a one sentence line with barely any substance as to why people should avoid the game. Sure, you eventually made a second post detailing some of your points but had to effectively make a third post by editing because again, you didn't actually give a decent reasoning for why someone should avoid it.

The game has a great art style and really takes advantage of the water color aesthetic that it has going on. The two main characters of the game are extremely well written and some of the strongest characters to come out in a good long while. The portrayal of their relationship is genuine. The Game Bakers didn't have to go a shallow BioWare route to build that relationship as the entire game is centered around them so it flows in a believable, natural way.
The game can get repetitive, I won't deny that, but I'd be hard pressed to find any game that doesn't get repetitive at a certain point. The gameplay, however, perfectly ties into the relationship of the characters and how they interact with the world. When you're gliding through the world and they naturally hold hands? That's a great understanding of making the gameplay match the narrative. Combat, while a little lacking, is the same. The two characters build off each other. I'm sorry, but this is a game that perfectly fuses the narrative of the characters with the gameplay that few games can do.

People on this forum will spend 60 hours reading visual novels with no "gameplay" whatsoever so again, I would say that they would be doing themselves a disservice by not playing a game far shorter than that at 15-20 hours with decent gameplay and a great story.

All that being said, you are right. I shouldn't have led with telling people to ignore you post and should have just posted instead a counter, like here, as to why I believe they should give it a try. So I apologize for that, though I do stand by my opinions.
Fair enough, my friend. I'm glad you've enjoyed the game, and I hope others do too - but I also stand by what I've said, and I advise caution. I could've used some of it when I decided to pick it up day 1, haha.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I played this some and bounced off it pretty hard - opinions seem all over the place in this thread though. I'll commend them for trying something different.