• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 5, 2017
No most of the time if a game is EGS exclusive I will forget it ever came out. Talking to my friends on discord about x game and we will suddenly realize it came out 4 months ago on EGS and none of us knew it.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Don't particularly care for it. I play Fortnite and I buy some exclusives there, but everything else I'll get on Steam -- even if it's slightly more expensive.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Nah, exclusives on Epic store might as well not exist for me and I won't buy them at full price once they release on Steam either. I'll redeem free games time to time, but in reality I already have most of the ones I'd want to play anyways. I have no wish to support Tim Epic's shenanigans.

Epic launcher itself also seems shady as well from what I remember on some reports of it gathering unauthorized data and such.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
No. I still pick up the free games but I've never booted anything there since Paragon and I doubt I will any time soon. The launcher has gotten better, but is still not a good one and Epic is only getting shittier as a company so I have no interest giving them money

Nov 1, 2017
Never had a problem with it. I've grabbed some great games for the low.

It's just another store that sells video games to me though, nothing more 🤷🏾‍♂️

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Haven't spent money on the store and dont plan to change. Games that are exclusive I either wait for steam or buy on consoles

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
In fear of being banned (lol?), it is just another launcher to me. It falls short of Steam's features, but I only use pc launchers to launch games. Don't care about friend lists (use discord), achievements, profiles, etc. I just buy games where they are cheapest whether it be steam, gog, epic or whatever.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I turned around the other way on it, I had no problem using it and playing the free games on there. Nowadays I'd still rather buy and play stuff on Steam even if I already have it for free on EGS.

This is kind of me too. It turns out that even when I buy games off EGS, they often just linger out of sight and out of mind until they launch on Steam, and then I'll remember that I own them and immediately wish I had them on Steam instead, especially now that I have a Steam Deck.

(Yes, I know I can play EGS games on the Deck, I'm playing through Beast Breaker right now!)

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
EGS fits the same position for me as Origin, GoG, Ubisoft Connect, etc, where I have it for free games and the odd game that requires it.

Would rather it be launched through steam, but free is free and for some games it is what it is.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I never had a problem with it so no, I haven't turned around on it. I stopped complaining about launchers being forced on me 15 years ago.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I only claim the free games that I probably will never play. I've never installed the launcher either.

That said, I'll have to give them credits for actually trying to penetrate the PC markets globally. This probably doesn't affect the majority of Era users here, but for many of us, things like convenient payment methods do matter a lot.

ps0xFkm.png

In comparison, Steam only offers Dana besides Visa and Master Card that most people here don't have access to. While Steam does have wallet gift cards that you can buy from resellers, being able to pay directly from our preferred e-wallet is such a huge convenience. Meanwhile, Uplay has Ovo and Dana, but I'm not quite sure about Origin. So in this aspect, EGS is the best.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Not really. I claim the free games usually because why not, and I generally prefer to just wait out the exclusivity period for most games to come to Steam, though there's been a couple games I've bought that either were seemingly never coming or I didn't want to wait anymore.

I use Steam streaming quite a bit and now own a Steam Deck too; having to add another launcher with its own DRM to the mix isn't impossible, but it's a pretty decent pain in the ass (depending on the game).

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
Nah hope it dies to be honest. Epic should stick with what they are good at. Sooner everything is back on Steam the better imo

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
i only claim the free game
didn't spend a single dime
it's like F2P store, however i still didn't even install a single game yet.
been claiming free games since 2015
only game i dindn't claim was Vampyr because it was region locked game.

VuiAYxb.png

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I don't mind it I have bought games on it for the first time twice this year, Sifu and Strangers of Paradise. I actually prefer their UI a little bit more than Steam.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
as many others I have a huge list of free games over there, that's pretty much what made me create an EGS account and bother with it...

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I've only done free games but after getting Borderlands 3 for free im thinking about buying the DLC before I start to play it.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
Well, like a lot of people I used to hold a "grudge" because of the paid exclusivity on PC thing, but it dawned on me it's not much different than what Sony and MS do and have been doing forever, so I dropped that over time. It sucks just as much as before that they just pay for games to not be elsewhere, and while I wish it wasn't a thing, I just came to accept that it is what it is.

Still don't care about buying there because I want to keep my games and play stats in a single place. Unless Steam removes regional pricing overnight, or everyone comes up with their own launchers like streaming services nowadays and the Steam catalog empties like Netflix, I'm not going anywhere.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
No. Still haven't used it and don't intend to. It's not even that it's "another launcher/store" that people used to (still?) go on about, but trying to turn PC into a console-like experience with paid exclusives doesn't deserve to be rewarded.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
Never had a problem with it. When I buy anything there, it's usually on sale, especially with the coupons. But that's not very different with how I buy games on Steam or the consoles.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind it at all. I own several games that they had on sale for it including their free games. I personally just care for the right prices these days.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
BANNABLE?

What in the heck is with some of yall.

"I don't really us the thing so I'm not super-attached to one or the other platform. As someone who isn't, my perspective is different than those who are entrenched in specific PC gaming store ecosystems. If a game is only playable on one launcher and I want to play that game, that is where I will buy the game."

As an aside, if we are talking about some toxic posting it's posts like the two examples above. I'm sharing a perspective of someone who super-casually plays on PC. It isn't some afront against proper discourse or some sort of morally bad take that needs POLICED OFF OF THE INTERNET.

It kinda is though. Having your own perspective is perfectly fine, labelling those who have a different perspective as "launcher fanboys" (your exact words) is exactly the kind of toxic posting that you claim to be criticizing. And even in this follow-up post you speak of "people who are entrenched in specific PC gaming store ecosystems", another reductive label for those who see this issue differently than you. You are not simply expressing your own opinion and perspective, which everyone would acknowledge and respect without issue. You are also casting judgment on those you don't agree with. So, please don't do that.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
i only claim the free game
didn't spend a single dime
it's like F2P store, however i still didn't even install a single game yet.
been claiming free games since 2015
only game i dindn't claim was Vampyr because it was region locked game.

VuiAYxb.png
I was always curious to find out how many games have they given out for free so far? I may have missed a few xD

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Have I turned around on the EGS store? Nope. It still deals with exclusivity on games that lock it only at the EGS store, whenever their launcher is down, I can't play said games cuz it affects the library, the interface is too clunky.

And when everything does work…it's just there. It's no worse than the worst PC launcher you can think of but also other launchers have better features than what EGS is delivering. After all these years, Epic has still not convinced me to use their launcher and store.

Feb 27, 2019
I survived through early Steam, so the EGS hate never made sense to me.

You hit the nail on the head. I think that's why I never got the hate either. I think lots of people here aren't old enough to remember the early days of Steam, but it was trash. It took a LONG time for Valve to build out all the features people like. And there was no competition, either, so they didn't need to move quickly.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
No, I still dispise it. I get the free games and play through maybe like 5% of them. I usually have nothing but trouble when using their storefront it seems. I've never bought a game on Epic and any exclusives i'm interested in I either wait for the steam release or don't get if its exclusive forever.

Deleted member 104622

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2021
No, and I never will. I think that Epic as a company does some great things for games, but have always despised both the direction of their store and their whining about Valve. Competition is good and Fortnite has given them the cash to compete but they can't seem to find a meaningful way of doing so. I installed their store to try out Fortnite and Unreal Tournament (RIP) years ago and that's as much as I'll do.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I redeem free games and even purchased Control from Epic when I first bought my PC. However, I vastly prefer Steam and don't use Epic beyond claiming the games these days. And the exclusive bullcrap annoys me.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Nope. I occasionally will claim a free game (if I remember to that is), but don't interact with it otherwise.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
In fear of being banned (lol?), it is just another launcher to me. It falls short of Steam's features, but I only use pc launchers to launch games. Don't care about friend lists (use discord), achievements, profiles, etc. I just buy games where they are cheapest whether it be steam, gog, epic or whatever.

That's a perfectly valid opinion to have and I don't think there's any risk of you getting banned. People who usually get in trouble in such threads are not those who have a "just another launcher" opinion for themselves but those who want to enforce it on others and label them as fanboys if they don't share it. Imagine something to the tune of "I don't get why people are complaining, it's just another launcher, then again I don't have a picture of Gabe Newell on my nightstand".

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Never had an issue with it . I haven't bought many pc games lately but if it's cheaper on egs or offers a coupon I'll buy it there for sure.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Oh god I just searched it...mod support was on the roadmap XD did that ever happen?
Mechwarrior 5 had mod support, but I don't know if that was explicitly due to anything Epic did with the stores backend.

I survived through early Steam, so the EGS hate never made sense to me.
Thing is, EGS has made almost zero progress in the way of transitioning out of the "early Steam" phase. They can't claim to not have the money for it.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I swear they use to do multiple games in a week of their sales, one a day or something? Seems like they had changed and now it's been the same game for the whole week, at least from what I can tell. Granted I pay little attention to the launcher these days unless I see a decent game making headlines to grab.

I've personally only bought one game off the store, and that was Outer Wilds and it's expansion. I see no reason to purchase any more of their games due to their shitty monopoly mentality that they instilled, all because Timmy thinks Steam is it's own monopoly. I have no value in their store besides a free game collector after beating Outer Wilds, and I don't foresee that changing with game pass being so strong.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
It's just a click here to buy digital storefront like Steam. I don't care if they have exclusives because I didn't swear fealty to steam. While I can understand frustrations with console exclusives because that requires a big investment into a console, if you have a PC what does it matter which store icon on your desktop you click to purchase the game you want to buy.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I don't like the Epic games launcher, it's definitely worse than Steam. Simple things like easy screenshots and my built in FPS counter are very much missed on EGS releases. I normally try to avoid it cuz I have ADHD and literally just never look at it. I did buy that Evil Dead game though because I'm a fuckin sucker for Evil Dead.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
It's just a click here to buy digital storefront like Steam. I don't care if they have exclusives because I didn't swear fealty to steam. While I can understand frustrations with console exclusives because that requires a big investment into a console, if you have a PC what does it matter which store icon on your desktop you click to purchase the game you want to buy.

My Steamdeck sends you my regards