• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never really bothered me personally. Being mostly a console gamer for most of my life, I was used to exclusives. Bought Outer Wilds and Hades there when they launched and take advantage of all the free games.
Honestly tho; I never understood the concept of 'exclusives' on PC. Its not like you are paying extra to download their shitty launcher. I literally launch either EGS/steam, what ever other launcher and just play the game. There is nothing else to it.

Moneyhatting on consoles is a lot different since you actually have to invest in a different console.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never minded it but its literally almost the same as it always was. I don't get why feelings would change

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I've bought a handful of exclusives and really enjoy their coupons. I also like the interface much more when compared to Steam. I don't care about built-in reviews (I know who to seek impressions from) or forums (there are so many other places for this stuff to live that it doesn't have a place as part of a store; people who sell me things don't need to also learn how to moderate social media IMO.)

I absolutely understand folks' preferences and desires for any platform but I also find the vitriol around Steam v EGS to be embarrassing as someone who plays games on PC at all.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still have zero faith in Epic not shutting it down shortly after Alan Wake 2 ships, so I haven't touched it with a bargepole myself. It's a totally worthless outlet that still is a net negative for PC gaming overall (so many developers slapping on Epic Online Services to qualify for the free game bag of money, breaking the Steam version in the process).

Jul 7, 2021
I came around to it in that I used to grab the free games but now I don't even bother.

I haven't installed it since my last PC upgrade, and don't see myself ever installing it even if they keep pumping money into money hatted exclusives or freebies.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
I've started playing Fortnite because of no build so I'm using EGS a lot more often now. It's still a damn pain to use compared to Steam and I always get the Steam versions of games where there's an option, though I treat the idea of EGS exclusive as more of an annoyance than a deal-breaker these days.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it eventually added all the basic features I want in a launcher and they have good sales.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
I've purchased three games which, based on their financials, makes me an Epic Store big fish.

Overall I don't have anything against the store I just don't think about it a great deal. Often months will go by without me signing in.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Honestly tho; I never understood the concept of 'exclusives' on PC. Its not like you are paying extra to download their shitty launcher. I literally launch either EGS/steam, what ever other launcher and just play the game. There is nothing else to it.

Moneyhatting on consoles is a lot different since you actually have to invest in a different console.
Oh, I agree completely. It just doesn't bother me, really.

Loreth_94

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I have not touched the Epic games store. I have so many games to play that I can just wait for the timed exclusives to come out on Steam.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I love Epic's contributions to the gaming industry and I liked the introduction of the Epic Games Store and their push for a higher revenue split, but what soured me on the store was the exclusives.
I get it, money talks. But I rather wait for the Steam releases of games unless it's an indie game.

PC is my primary platform, and even I've forgotten some games have launched because they're exclusive to the store, like Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy 7. You can't beat Steam's reach and the advantages of why people want games on Steam in the first place.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have anything against the EGS, I just don't see any value in using it. Even their freebies are something that I've been grabbing, but never played a single one. To me it's just a failed experience.

Feb 27, 2019
Nothing to turn around on. The Steam fanaticism was always deeply weird to me. Steam obviously is better for the time being but if something is cheaper on Epic, I won't hesitate a second.

Exactly this. I still buy most PC games on Steam, aside from the occasional freebie or exclusive like Old World, but competition is a good thing.

I'm old enough to remember the backlash against Valve for requiring you to install Steam to play Half-Life 2. And people complaining about how crappy Steam was (which is certainly was in 2004-05). It was (and is) a form of always-on DRM. Valve was the one who got us used to that.
(And Steam can still be really slow!!)

Let's also not forget that it took Valve literally a decade to add all the features that people wanted Epic to have day one. And the Epic Launcher has gotten a lot better since it launched.

What makes me crazy is how people use Epic's business practices to put Valve on a pedestal. I'm sorry, but Gabe and Valve are not your friends. This article remains as relevant as ever.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I love free games and the vitriol and toxicity some people spew every time there's a popular game given away for free is still baffling to me, even after reading the "we've already explained why EGS is bad for the industry" types of posts for the hundredth time.

Maybe I'm too old and the mentality of younger generations is too different than mine, but I remember when I was young and playing the same game for months on MS-DOS, cuz I didn't have any new games, thinking: 'wow it'd be sooo cool, if I could get free games. Surely that's never gonna happen.' Yet here we are 20-30 years later and while plenty of games are given for free, people are complaining about these free games. Maybe gamers are spoilt for choice now, compared to how it was when I was young and had plenty of time at my disposal but relatively few games. Or maybe I'm too old and 'don't get' the young generation of gamers.

I get that Epic's exclusivity practices are hurting the industry, but a free game is a free game and you can take a stand against Epic even though you enjoy their free offerings. Things aren't (and shouldn't be viewed as) black&white. You don't have to support them with your money. Oh and what's even more head scratching are the users which are shaming people redeeming free games. That's gamer toxicity disguised as "gamers fighting for the right cause"
I'd love to see you find posts on Era in which people complain about the free games, or shame others for redeeming said games.

Stop making shit up that doesn't exist so you can stand on your soapbox.

Ostrava

Jul 31, 2021
Belgium
I never had an issue with EGS, use it fairly regurlarly. My choice for store to buy a game depends solely on the price. If it's cheaper on Steam I'll get it on Steam, if it's cheaper on EGS I'll get it on EGS.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Nope lol, a good competitor to Steam would be great and push both to make their platform more appealing for users.

Instead we have EGS which doesn't even try to compete in the feature space and just creates a console like closed garden with rediculous exclusivity deals.

Any games I have claimed free from EGS still end up being played through Steam to use it's additional features like Steam Input.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Never bought or will buy anything and never claimed a free game.

Gavatron

Unshakable Resolve
May 23, 2019
I've bought one game during a sale, continue to grab the freebies, but don't put much more effort in to the store other than that really. It has a long way to go before reaching Steam levels of confidence but would like it to succeed as something that can compete with Steam.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Man so many haters, *shake head in shame*. Installing cyberpunk took only 15 minutes and I never had a single problem with the store. Actually it was my only way of getting cyberpunk cheap without having to go to a specific bank to enable my card for online banking.
dont ask questions youre not going to like the answers to
Competition is good and welcome on an open Plattform.
which is why people dont like egs

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda, I was using it because I bought Fortnite Save the World when it just a launcher, then they made the store and I claimed the free games.
Nowadays, I just don't bother claiming the free games and Epic abandonned Fortnite PvE so I have no reason to use it anymore.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing personal against EGS. And while I'll gladly redeem their free games for a rainy day, I've yet to actually install the launcher or spend money in the store (and I don' t plan on it). Giving up a ton of useful features and functionality, splitting my PC library, gating games from any potential Steam hardware going forward. Nah. And the $10 off sales aren't nearly enough to sway me.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Nope lol, a good competitor to Steam would be great and push both to make their platform more appealing for users.

Instead we have EGS which doesn't even try to compete in the feature space and just creates a console like closed garden with rediculous exclusivity deals.

Any games I have claimed free from EGS still end up being played through Steam to use it's additional features like Steam Input.
What ever happened to that roadmap Epic put out on planned feature updates? I ran a search and the results are all really outdated (1 year+), I guess I should assume they gave up.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I was ambivalent at first, maybe they could shake things up. Then they started paying for exclusivity on their store and any hope of paying for anything on the store went up in smoke.

I keep the launcher installed to play with UE4/5, but no longer even bother with the free games and wont buy from the store as economics will lead to even their published titles appearing elsewhere on pc eventually.

Also Tim Sweeney is full of shit, so that doesnt help it either

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Steam is still miles ahead. I do appreciate the free games tho

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do buy games from time to time when it seems the game will never leave their store, but since my controllers does not work with their game, and adding them to the steam library as non-steam games almost never works to add the controller support, it ends up with me not being able to play how i want to play, which does not endear me to buy more from them.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
I went from probably being a bit annoyed by what they are doing to forgetting that it even exists.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Still haven't spent a cent there and don't plan to. Just claim the free games, but don't even have it installed. I don't like their policies as a company and the QoL features elsewhere are far superior.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I mostly don't think about it, and when I do, it's an annoyed sigh.

I wouldn't use it for free games, and I'm not going to use it to buy anything. I just want it to go away.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
What ever happened to that roadmap Epic put out on planned feature updates? I ran a search and the results are all really outdated (1 year+), I guess I should assume they gave up.

Oh god I just searched it...mod support was on the roadmap XD did that ever happen?

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I still disagree with Epic's philosophy regarding the PC market, and until they compete with the likes of Steam on features or find a real niche (such as GOG), EGS won't be getting a dime from me.

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
I've only regretted purchases there now that I have a Steam Deck and have games trapped on the EGS. I just want to play Hitman 3 :(

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I've always felt that there needs to be many and varied distribution platforms or there's a very significant censorship risk, and having as many as possible and as much direct distribution as possible is a major societal good.

So from that POV the existence of the Epic Store was always good and I was baffled by some of the reactions.

The actual implementation is mediocre, their content policy is bad but the amount of free shit they give away is great. But the important thing is half a dozen plus stores exist for the PC platform, and reducing lock in.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Not really. I don't actively dislike them anymore, because they seem to have slowed down a bit with the aggressive buying up of titles (though when it still happens, it's annoying like with Salt and Sacreifice). However, I do not use them at all as I feel that with Steam (and Steam codes) I get more than enough of what I need and I have no trouble waiting a bit for a game until it hits Steam (like I did with Hitman 3 and The Outer Worlds).

Free games aren't really that attractive to me either. Sure, it's nice to get free games, but from experience I know that I hardly ever end up playing those.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I've spent no money at EGS.

I just launch it once a week to collect the free game that I may or may not ever get around to playing.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
It's the only place I buy games on PC now.

Was never a fan of the steam ui and all the garbage clutter i never used so it was a breath of fresh air for me.

No bullshit just games the way it should be.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've always felt that there needs to be many and varied distribution platforms or there's a very significant censorship risk, and having as many as possible and as much direct distribution as possible is a major societal good.

So from that POV the existence of the Epic Store was always good and I was baffled by some of the reactions.

The actual implementation is mediocre, their content policy is bad but the amount of free shit they give away is great. But the important thing is half a dozen plus stores exist for the PC platform, and reducing lock in.
Reducing lock in? They probably are the biggest source of lock in at the moment with the exclusivity deals. Sure, the average consumer now has more choices of the storefronts, but since the games are locked in the platform and do not have deals available outside the storefront directly, it feels a bit weird to say that the consumer is more free to buy where he wants.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
No. The only game there which I'm looking at getting is AW2 - because it is being published by Epic.