• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you Stolen anything while using the Self-Checkout line?

• No! I'm a Good Boi/Girl!

Votes: 885 78.5%
  • I swear! it was an accident!

Votes: 125 11.1%
  • Yes (Insert rationalization)

Votes: 118 10.5%

• Total voters

karby

Oct 27, 2017
No. But there was a time where I needed help and the new employee entered the wrong item number, having me paying less than I should have. I didn't realize it until I left the store though.

bryehn

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa
9 times out of 10 I bring a reusable bag and just jam on the next button when it asks you if you used a store bag. Muscle memory has cost my local store at least 15 cents (3 bags) when I forget my own bag. But no, not an actual item. I do like when the scale fucks up and I pay like 40 cents for a pile of apples or something though

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I've accidentally taken a birthday card and a 12 pack of coke zero (two different occasions). I felt bad, but I've been extra cognizant of it so I haven't done it again.

Slashkice

Oct 27, 2017
I've had times where the cashier has forgotten to scan something and I'll point it out to them. I do it on reflex before even realizing I could've gotten the item for free.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
probably shouldn't say this but whatever

never stolen any groceries, but multiple people in front of me have left their change in there. probably gotten like $70 altogether

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Eating candy in a wawa bathroom and flushing the wrapper was not a high piont but you got to do what you got to do when you are a broke hungry poor 14 year old.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only by accident. I accidentally put 3 limes on the system instead of 6. It was like a 90 cents difference

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
No, but on a first date with someone they bought some expensive wine as tomatoes. Didn't realise what they were doing until it had happened. The wine was good, the relationship was not.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Never stolen something with intend, but I forgot to scan a single item a few weeks ago. Bought two 1.5l coca cola bottles, only scanned one as I later found out from the receipt.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, but 15 years ago I did get one floor speaker for free. They were on sale and I didn't notice they rang it up as a pair Instead of separately like they should have so I got a $200 speaker for free lol.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
no way, i consider myself an honorary self checkout line ambassador. i tell people booths are open, i have mastered the touch screen interface, i know when the receipt printer has an issue, I TAKE IT SERIOUSLY

and thus i would never disgrace my institution

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I worked at a gas station and two of my co-workers said I could eat anything that's been sitting out for too long and get a drink of coffee/fountain drink anytime I wanted.
Well... the food part was true. The other got someone else fired.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is this?

No, the answer is no.

Edit: If you're desperate or trying to feed your family or something though, no judgement from me.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
if we had it when i was a teenager...

but no, i haven't, that I'm aware of at least. If I forgot to scan something, the alarm hasn't gone off.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
No, self-checkouts make enough of a fuss when I put something that I did scan in the bag.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
I once accidentally got two packets of frozen filo pastry for the price of one. The two packs were frozen together so it looked like it was just one. Of course this did cause a weight error to pop up on the screen but the attendant didn't notice the packs were fused together either, so they just overrode it. Oops.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I've accidentally walked out with a chocolate bar once. I had a big cart of groceries and forgot to scan it just left it sitting tucked in the cart.

Didn't notice until I got to the car and was like oops.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Every time I use a self checkout (which is rare because I hate them) I always think about stealing something. I never have though. I've never stolen anything before, also.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It never occurred to me that it would be easy to do this. I guess I also assumed someone's watching.

Also I did steal stuff from a super market when I was a teenager to be 'cool' when hanging out with a friend. I got caught. It was a star wars book. I wasn't cool.

Smang

Jan 30, 2019
I remember reading about a guy in France who used the self checkout to buy a ps4 as fruit so it was like €10 or something lol. He would've got away with it as well if he hadn't gone back and tried it again.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Never stole anything from a checkout line, but I use to work the self checkout at a grocery store and I was surprised by the amount of people who came back in saying they forgot to pay for something.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
One time I accidentally put a chap stick in my pocket and had a panic attack when I realized I didn't pay for it a day later.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I've forgotten about a case of water in the cart before, and I scanned a case of something and it read the individual bottle bar code and only charged me for one. I bought 2 baseball caps and they were stacked together and the cashier only scanned one. I've had items that wouldn't register with the handheld scanner and forgot to rescan them at the checkout. My grocery store has a policy of giving an item for free if it scans wrong, and I have bought items when I notice they've left the expired on-sale price tags up (that's not really stealing, but gaming the system).

Oct 25, 2017
China
I changed the price labels on some Transformers as a kid as I didn't have enough money to buy the ones I wanted. Woolworths still haven't caught me for that.

Haibane

Feb 21, 2019
I've not tried it, but it seems pretty easy to skim off a few cents or dollars off those self-checkout machines at grocery stores. Ring up a large avocado as a medium, or at those bulk nut/spices section.. ring up organic almonds as the cheaper non-organic ones. The chance of being caught is nearly non-existent and you can claim it was an accident if it happens.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
How would you be able to steal it? You still have to go past the anti-theft monitors.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
27999.jpg

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I haven't intentionally stolen anything since I was 13. I have walked out of self-checkout with items in my cart that I completely forgot about though.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't even use self-checkout booths because I have this paranoia about making a mistake and then getting caught and not being able to convince them that it was genuinely unintentional.

Am I the only one with this dumb hangup?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Nah. Conscience would destroy me. I'd go back and pay for it if it was error.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck? Don't be a thief.

The risk of being caught shouldn't be your main reason not to shoplift.