• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Once in a YouTube video.

In the video an SUV makes a left turn, unfortunately a dude on a sport bike was probably going 100+ MPH and didn't have time to slow down and crashed into the passenger door of the SUV. Right before the crash the bike was doing a stoppie due to him braking hard, so he hit the SUV at full force with his whole body. Thankfully the video was low quality.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I was at my grandpa's bedside when he died in hospice care. He pretty much went while pumped with painkillers in his sleep.

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Yes, I have. When I was little a crazy ex of my father tried to stab me when I was leaving school. One of my classmates shielded me and gave time to the rest of the adults to react and take her down, but despite our efforts my classmate died from blood loss.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I was uncomfortably close to a fatal accident involving a motorcyclist.
One of the more harrowing moments in my life. The human body does terrifying things when dismounted at highway speeds.
Fuck man. I have to stop thinking about it.

Nox Potens

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
On the internet, yes. I haven't seen anyone die irl, but the sight of the bloodstained carpet from when my former roommate shot himself haunts me to this day.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I was uncomfortably close to a fatal accident involving a motorcyclist.
One of the more harrowing moments in my life. The human body does terrifying things when dismounted at highway speeds.
Fuck man. I have to stop thinking about it.

I saw a truck barrel into the sidewalk and hit a teenage girl. I later learned she died on the news. It was indeed horrible.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
No, and somehow, even after having at least six pets pass away, i've never witnessed any of them go through it.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
You seriously think there's no difference between watching an online video and seeing someone die before your eyes in real life?
There is a difference, but having experienced both I can certainly tell you that watching real stuff online desensitised me enough to react with composure. It was certainly still emotional and in one instance terrifying, but I could act with a cool head I think because of media experiences.

At least in comparison to other people with me

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
A few times yes. I'll mention the last one I saw.

I live in Toronto and there's a really popular park here where everyone goes to hang out in the summer.

After work one day I was walking there with friend and when we entered we saw a bunch of paramedics and police officers surrounding a man laying on the the ground near a tree. The paramedics were giving him cpr and other procedures. After a few minutes one of the paramedics said something to the girl that was standing there and we all heard a scream. It was her saying "no no no" and it was absolutely heartbreaking. Needless to say everyone was completely silent for the rest of the evening when we were sitting in our usual spot at the park.

I believe I heard the next day that a tree branch fell on his head while he was having a picnic with his wife.

This happens often enough that landscapers sometimes refer to those branches as "widowmakers". You don't really get it until a giant branch falls next to you during a windstorm.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On the internet, yeah. Some bodycam videos where someone died in a police shooting.

IRL the guy had been dead for a couple minutes before I saw him. At least I'm pretty sure he was. There was a lot of blood going into the gutter and the people around him weren't bothering to move him. I was like 6 so it's not like I was gonna go over and check for a pulse

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. My Father.

Had to witness him drown as a young child in a hotel swimming pool in Seattle powerless to help or get someone to help.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I used to work in elder care in the nursing field, so I saw a lot of elderly folks pass away on hospice care, and cleaned them up afterwards to prepare for the coroner. It's rough at first, but you get acclimated eventually.

Wigdogger

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. My Father.

Had to witness him drown as a young child in a hotel swimming pool in Seattle powerless to help or get someone to help.

Good grief. That's awful. And to others, your stories are quite heartbreaking.

Like a few of you, my DIRECT experience with death is limited to my grandmother (seeing her post-death), some pets dying (in front of me, various causes) and my father.

I was with my father at the end, as he was meant to go in hospice care. He wanted to pass at home (melanoma, in lungs, liver and brain), so he was drugged up. But it was just my mother and me that night, and my mother was taking a rest. I knew when I heard him breathing a certain way in the other room that things were possibly "starting," but I wasn't sure how it would all go. We never really knew how it was supposed to play out.

It was crazy talking to my dad and him being sort of lucid, even though drugged, and then having him enter the death process, as it were. Really wild seeing how a human body shuts down. I went and got my mother as he was struggling, and then we came back. The lights were out (just hallway lights), and I'll never forget how my father looked in the dark. As my eyes adjusted, I saw that vacant look. Seconds later, my mother turned on the lights and had 911 on the phone, and I knew he was gone. It was the vacant look we've all heard about. But what was crazier was that my dad was still making noise (which I'll never forget) and how he was "gone," but he still sort of had a hold of my hand and kind of brought it towards him.

Was it just the body shutting down? Possibly. Was he still a bit there, as I've heard? Some say that hearing is the last to go. Either way, it was quite an educational experience. I thought I did quite well, and I was proud of how my father passed. Not to get too gross about it, but when my dad was passing, I did get some urine on the leg. When that happened (side of the bed), I knew my father was very much on the way out. Even crazier having EMTs arrive (we had called them) to try and work on him, which we didn't want, as we had a DNR. It took a bit to find it, so they stopped. Still, added to the tenseness of the situation.

It's not easy seeing someone essentially drown (lung fluids) in front of you. A tough memory for a while, one I'm glad my siblings were spared of, but it was a gift, in some ways.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I heard a gunshot and afterwards I saw a dead body late at night on the street. That's the closest I've seen a person die.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Never watched the passing, but sat with my grandmother's corpse as we waited for the undertaker to come get her. Just weird seeing the lifeless body of someone very close to you...

Dec 31, 2017
Yeah. The craziest time was when I was administering CPR in the trauma bay to a guy who was horizontally bisected.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, saw a relatively young (early 30s) person with cancer take their last breath. Burned into my memory. You don't just forget something like that, I guess.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, quite a few elders in my family including my father, grand parents and a few uncles and aunts.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
My father died as I performed CPR on him. It only saves something like 1 in 20 so if someone you're trying to save doesn't make it, don't let it get in your head. You did everything you could.

I saw someone get killed on a motorcycle once as a kid on our way to Disney. He went under a tractor trailer's wheels and I watched his torso pancake before we'd kept going and my dad commented there must've been an accident behind us. To this day my parents didn't know I saw it happen.

Oct 25, 2017
My grandmother. I was staying with my other grandmother during summer break when I was 14 and she woke me up at like 4am. Told me she was driving me to the hospital right away because my other grandma wasn't going to make it more than an hour or two (lung cancer).

I wish I hadn't gone. Her breathing was so raspy and awful. She was sedated. Said goodbyes and I was taken out of the room. She died about 10 minutes later.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I saw my granddad die in the car with me on the backseat as a 10 year old. Saw a lot of dead people when I was working as a cop but strangely didn't witnessed any « live » death which I thankful of

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
My Dad lay dying as I was calling 911 and my brother was performing CPR and my mom was losing her mind. Never even made it out on an ambulance. My dad ran a corner store right next to the fire station, I recognized many of those fire fighters, and they obviously recognized him, so it definitely hit them a bit. It was 1:30 in the morning, pouring down rain.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I watched my grandfather pass, but it was a long time coming and was peaceful. I've never seen a violent death thankfully, but my younger brother was involved in a car accident where the other driver was thrown and he's never really been the same.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've been watching my best friend die over the past few weeks. It's the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with. I'm terrified for when he actually passes, which is probably going to be very soon

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Several times.

Saw a guy jump in front of a train in Japan.

Saw a guy shoot himself with a shotgun when I was 6.

Saw 2 people on a motorbike get cleaned up by a road train.

Jul 26, 2018
Almost. I was in the hospital lobby when my Grandma passed away. My dad was there with his family. What a experience and don't know how to describe it.

The doctor just checked her pulse and the clock. Saying the time she exactly passed away. We were there for about 3 days.

And when I was little, I saw a after murder scene in Honduras. Dead body just laying in the middle of a bridge and everybody just stood there and stared. Blood everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.