• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was thinking about this myself and I don't think I've ever personally seen anyone die. Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe I'm sheltered.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I was thinking about this myself and I don't think I've ever personally seen anyone die. Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe I'm sheltered.

I'm pretty sure you are.

Take it from somebody who's seen it happen before. You do not want to experience seeing it. We live through it and do what we can to warn others that it's an experience you spare yourself from.

bgbball31

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was at our local community center and saw someone have a heart attack on the track. Scarring, to say the least, and that's a relatively mild way to watch someone die (if there is such a thing).

Mar 3, 2018
A few times yes. I'll mention the last one I saw.

I live in Toronto and there's a really popular park here where everyone goes to hang out in the summer.

After work one day I was walking there with friend and when we entered we saw a bunch of paramedics and police officers surrounding a man laying on the the ground near a tree. The paramedics were giving him cpr and other procedures. After a few minutes one of the paramedics said something to the girl that was standing there and we all heard a scream. It was her saying "no no no" and it was absolutely heartbreaking. Needless to say everyone was completely silent for the rest of the evening when we were sitting in our usual spot at the park.

I believe I heard the next day that a tree branch fell on his head while he was having a picnic with his wife.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
death just kinda happens for the most part

they're there then they arent

ya know

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Watching it on the internet isn't the same as ....like being there and watching a soul leave this earth, sometimes violently. I have cousins that still go to therapy for what they saw in Iraq, i have a Uncle whose a cop who is haunted by a domestic abuse call where the husband shot and killed himself and beats himself up over how he could t stop it and "it just happened so fast" My other uncles and cousins are EMT's and they see people die all the time so they are kind of desensitized by it.

I've seen it happen once but i don't think it counts. I witnessed a car accident. It took like 30 minutes to pronounce the person dead but later on we learned he died on impact and honestly, the crash wasn't even that bad. Still died. fucked Up.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Yes.

When i was ten or so. We where going to a restaurant with my family and on the highway, we saw a couple on a bike in front of us crash in the back on a bus. The bike caught fire somehow and the two did too. I heard the screams for years after that.

And "fun" fact, the guy who was driving the bike happened to be the son of the owner of the restaurant whe where going to.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My friend had an aneurysm and died while I was administering CPR as the ambulance was on the way. They did their best to revive him, but when we were riding in the ambulance to the hospital and the only had lights on and no siren, I knew that was a bad sign.

Worst part was when we got to the emergency room, the doctor pulled me aside and told me first he was DOA. I had to keep the truth from my dude's parents who were in rush hour traffic trying to get to the hospital, so they wouldn't have an accident.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Cleaned at a hospital when younger. Saw a woman lying in bed not moving too much. Alive but still. A couple of days later when I cleaned to room across the hall, she got vigorous spasms and personnel gathering around her, trying to stabilize her, when she went way too still. Her room were empty the next day. Have unfortunately seen on the internet too, but the vibes are very different when you are close.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean both did happened in real life and I've seen some messed up stuff. But I hope I never have to witness it in person. :(
Like, I think it also depends on the death. For me the dying part seems much less disturbing than the suffering, like at least if it's a painless/instant death they aren't in pain.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yes. Not what I wanted to be thinking about this afternoon though.

Oct 28, 2017
When I was a kid we went on a day trip to some island and a guy drowned there at the beach. Fortunately I didn't see anything directly, because my parents kept us away, but my Mum went to help as she's a doctor, and I still remember that situation vividly.
From what I heard the guy couldn't swim and jumped into deep water, he was there on a trip from an African country and probably just didn't know the danger

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Yeah, a few times. Someone dying from the gunshot wound was the worst and I hope I'll never see that shit again. My grandad died from lung cancer and while it was heartbreaking and devastating, at the time I was glad his suffering has stopped.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Yeah, I watched doctors take a very good friend off of a ventilator. He was 27 and had lung cancer (never smoked in his life). He was totally drugged to the point that he wasn't aware of anything. His eyes rolled back and he started gasping for air like a fish. His parents held his hand and cried. He eventually stopped gasping and his eyes glazed over.

I was pretty religious up to that point, but I stopped believing entirely after that. I saw first-hand how we are just animals like everything else on this planet. We aren't special at all.

Mar 30, 2019
I used to work in an ED (Emergency Department), for roughly 7 years. Aside: I was more administrative than hands-on. It was unavoidable at times, but it was always the heartbroken family that got to me. You never really get used to it. Life is simply tragic, precious, and unavoidably melancholic.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Not people but I remember seeing a rabbit die when I was young. At a party the lad who was holding the party let the rabbits out of the hutch (Which I remember saying it was a bad idea) and let them run wild. While he was looking for them he stepped on one of them, I keep remembering the sound the poor rabbit was making as it died. :(

quesalupa

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
US
I thought I did until I found out at like 5 hours later he didn't die. That nightmare feeling of watching someone get murdered never went away though

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Nah. I left my grandma's bedside at the hospital and she died like an hour later.

I also saw a corpse under a white sheet on the road in London after they'd been hit by a bus. I could just see a pair of legs from under the sheet, stuck with me though.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Like, I think it also depends on the death. For me the dying part seems much less disturbing than the suffering, like at least if it's a painless/instant death they aren't in pain.
I remember watching a video of a soilder executing a guy with a literal mortar gun and another of a cartel member executing a riva cartel member with a chainsaw. The creulty of it all never left my memory.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, more than once. Dealing with loss/death is difficult, but part of life and makes you grow and appreciate life more.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Twice. One you could tell the instant she was dead because the light left her eyes and it was just over. The other looked totally alive even after he died. I kept expecting him to take a breath.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Sure, but I was in the military and I worked in a federal prison later. It just comes with the territory.

I was an OR-nurse and now am a med-student in last year, so yes, a couple times.

Weirdest death was when we had a brain dead patient who was supposed to be explanted. The patient was braindead (so already dead and just a warm body), but still put under general anaesthesia and his skin was pink and warm.
The transplantation surgeon started the operation and made a section from the jugulum down to the pubic area.
He looked for the aorta, clamped it off and put a line with a cold potassium-solution above the clamp into the aorta.
The patient became colder and paler when the heart stopped, the anesthetist shut off the respirator, the surgeons took out the organs that were needed for other critical ill patients, then they closed the patient, cleaned him and that was it.
The situation when the color went out of the patient's face was an interesting experience. The patient was dead before, wouldn't have come back or survived without a respirator, but seeing the last bit of life of electrophysiology leave that body was something else.

Other situations are when the surgeon decides that nothing can't be done for the patient he's currently doing an emergency operation on and tells the anesthetist that he'll discontinue the operation.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I work in medicine and used to work in an emergency room. I've seen lots of people die. I've been the last person with my hands on someone as they've died. I've seen senior citizens die. I've seen infants die.

Life is fragile. Don't waste it.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Unfortunately too many to count. Then having to watch them die and go to their house and tell their loved ones that they aren't coming home.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Online, at least a few.

In real life, the closest I've seen is a guy dying of a heart attack at 3am in a Burger King parking lot. I didn't stick around to see if he survived or not as paramedics had already arrived and were trying to revive him and it made me thing far too hard about my own mortality.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Yup, a few people including family members. Most recently a coworker who had a heart attack while at work. As one of my workplace First Aiders I was the first one with him, and worked on him the entire time with a few others.

Status
Not open for further replies.