• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Well, have you?

• Yes

Votes: 31 28.2%
  • No

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • Not yet

Votes: 36 32.7%
  • Never

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • Maybe, one day...

Votes: 20 18.2%

• Total voters

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So with the internet we've suddenly gained the ability to communicate with people around the world. Now I don't know about you, but in some of these instances I felt like I made real friends, and it seems the feeling is mutual. Now I guess the only unfair thing is I've seen what they look like but they haven't seen what I look like. So I was thinking I should really just send one good photo so they'll finally have something to remember me by. Have you ever been in the same situation? Have you even gone further and met with these people and became good friends in real life? Or has there been instances wherein when you showed yourself it went the other direction?

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've met online friends in real life before, and they usually go well.

I even invited my ff14 raid team to my wedding. Some of them made the trip.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Aren't you the dog in your photo?
i used to be

QcPyStx.gif

Nov 17, 2017
2911de402278c5cc634ebada27f8fe9d.jpg
Hello, here's my final form.

I guess I have had one or two video game forum friends that ended up Facebook friends so they would know what I look like.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yes, I met 3 friends I made online personally (+ a dozen or so in an event)

But I don't like posting/sending pics of myself.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
I used to be pretty active in a metal forum years ago (well, I still am, but it's slowed down). It was a pretty tight-knit group and I have a lot of fond memories and getting buzzed, listening to the album of the week, and posting on there. Many of us met each other at various gigs across the US. There was a yearly metal fest we always went to together as well.

I'll still keep in touch with quite a few of them via that forum. A couple actually live in my general area so we'll get together for the occasional gig (well, this was prior to Covid).

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Every time an online friend has sent me pics, I've reciprocated (including several Era members), although to be fair I'm a reasonably photogenic guy so it's easy for me I guess.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I've never met anyone from the internet ever. Not even internet from apps.

Actually... actually maybe i have and just forgotten it. Sorry.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Almost all my best friendships were started on the internet. I transition to voice/video with them eventually and then, meet up in person.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Too handsome not to. I just needed an excuse. Don't google me or you might get lost in my amber green eyes.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
One former member of era exchanged photos with me so we knew what the other looked like. I use pictures of myself on the LINE app, so whenever I add netfriends there, they see me.

I met 10 or more members of the last site years ago at an event in Tokyo. I have chat groups on LINE with two communities from the old site (that aren't active on there anymore either), and I've met most of the members of one and three of the members of the second. I mostly met up with people in Tokyo, but I also met up with one of my friends when I visited Italy in 2019.

I have vagueish plans to meet two more that are on this site when vaccines are out, and I intend to meet a few more in the next couple years in the US and back in Japan. All the ones that were netfriends beforehand have been excellent to hang with irl. None of them have been creepy or unkind in any way.

Apart from that, I dated a gal in the freshman year of uni that started talking to me on Gamesradar (I stopped going there many years ago) hahaha.

So yeah! I've met maybe 20 people that started out as netfriends, and I talk to most of them still. Pretty fun!

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I was part of a super tight forum community in the 2000s and have met like 5 of the people from it over the years. Like if we happen to be near each other.

Blairbat

Oct 29, 2017
Sacramento, California
Yeah. I got really close to someone I met online. More close then I have ever been with someone. I ended up getting hurt in the end but yeah. Only time it has happened though. I am way too shy, quiet and introverted for my own good so friendships are a rarity for me online and offline.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I was part of a pretty close-knit clique on the GameFAQs message boards in my younger days. We had a shared Photobucket account before social media really took off. I never met anyone IRL but some of them did and a two of them even hooked up for a while. I'm still in touch with a few of them on Facebook but for the most part we've all gone our separate ways.

Nowadays I just keep to myself vis a vis the internet.