• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
I replaced it with Final Fantasy 14. By itself.

That said I've loved every entry in the last 10ish years aside from 13 and to a lesser extent Type-0. So no replacing necessary.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i'm just getting into it. got a bunch of FF games on sale during last year and the first one i finished was FF7R.

i guess for me it's filling the void until games in other series i play materialize, although i don't play many RPGs (waiting for the next Xenoblade for now)

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Persona became my go to JRPG series when I dropped FFXII to play P3. Still liked FFVII Remake but even then Persona 5 Royal tops it.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Final Fantasy is an unique, also the biggest JRPG there is. Nothing can replace it right now. But its not in my top 5 anyway. I put Dragon Quest, Xenoblade, Persona, Fire Emblem and SMT, or even Nier, Ni no Kuni above it.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I've given DQ so many chances, and it's just so...boring. The attack animations are boring, the characters are boring, the core stories are boring, the settings are boring and the composer is an elementally terrible human being. I wish I could enjoy it, but I've never finished a single game in the series. Quit DQ8 during the Dhoulmagus boss fight, and bailed on XI like an hour before the main character was going to get turned into a fish because reasons.

Can we trade DQ for a resurrection of Suikoden?

This is where I'm at with DQ too. Twenty hours into DQ11 I was bored out of my mind with the combat, empty world and annoying music. I finished the game (stopped after the first boss battle) and I will never go back.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is where I'm at with DQ too. Twenty hours into DQ11 I was bored out of my mind with the combat, empty world and annoying music. I finished the game (stopped after the boss battle) and I will never go back.

Yup, really had to push myself to get through the first two acts.

Once the credits rolled I was out.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Man it's wild to me that someone into video game music isn't into XIII's OST. Is it a stylistic thing or?
Yeah it's stylistic. I enjoy melancholy, minor chords, and progressive music. Uematsu and Meguro just really speak to me.

XIII sounds fine, but it just sounds a lot more straightforward to me and doesn't really evoke any emotion.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Like the OP I await the FF7 PC remake. Hopefully we get it in April

FF series has a special corner in my heart. Only other fairly recent JRPG was Dragons Quest which was great but didnt dig the music (didnt do that final act tho)

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah it's stylistic. I enjoy melancholy, minor chords, and progressive music. Uematsu and Meguro just really speak to me.

XIII sounds fine, but it just sounds a lot more straightforward to me and doesn't really evoke any emotion.
Have you heard all of XIII and its sequels' soundtracks? They are all incredibly varied. FFXIV holds the Guinness world record for largest OST ever made, and Soken is known for his diversity. I also feel FFXV's OST is fantastic.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
I specifically remember thinking Persona replacing FF as "the jrpg" for me.

I still look forward to FFs and I like the recent ones alright but they're not exactly what they used to be. I guess for a lot of people that's a good thing but I really miss the old FF feel.

DQ is still amazing though so that's another good one.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
They lost me with 15 but won me back hard with FF7R. If the series follows more of that style then I'll gladly keep playing them.

Replayed 12 on ps4 afterwards too and it was just as fun as I remembered from the ps2 days.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
I started with VII as a teenager. Looked forward to each entry so much until FFX which I hated with a passion. Going back to it later made me appreciate the battle system, but I still basically dislike everything else.
FFXIII looked so boring that I actually forgot about it until months after it released and even then I couldn't bring myself to play it. I know that the other games are linear as well, but there is something about walking on a narrow pathway that makes it so much worse. I hated this about FFVIIr, although I like the story (besides the new character).

I did enjoy both FFXII and FFXV, but both felt like very flawed and incomplete experiences. I think FFXVI looks great and I can't wait to play it, but I find it hard to get very excited given the battle system. The series still has consistently amazing music though. Basically every entry has wonderful music except X and XIII.

Dragon Quest on the other hand. Once I understood the mindset that is best for playing the series, I became addicted. Currently playing DQ2 and loving more that any FF I played during the last two decades.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nothing can replace Final Fantasy, there's nothing quite like it. The world of VII, VIII, IX, and X are some of the best fictional words full stop. Especially X is one of the most unique worlds in fiction.

Really curious to see how XVI turns out. XII had a great world but lacked in story pacing, the main character being an NPC, XIII was pretty bland in every way, and XV did not need to be an open world game. The magic hasn't been the same until I played VII Remake. :)

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There's really nothing like Final Fantasy. There's other games that reach certain highs and even surpass them in ways, but FF is a very specific niche that's difficult to supplant imo. Like Xenoblade has surpassed a lot of FFs for me, but the ton, setting, environment, themes, etc are very different from FF so it's not enough to keep me from going back to the series. Even games like Bravely Default that are clearly born from the remains of older FFs, it's missing aspects that make FF stand out.

So it's not my favorite JRPG series anymore, but I still love going back to them. FF7 Remake especially proved they still got it. Now that is like a top ten favorite game of all time for me.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't replaced the series, but I don't love it the way I did in high school, or even starting college 10 years ag-where the fuck is the time going???

In any case, I enjoyed FFVII Remake enough that I'm actually about to finish a hard mode run of it on my way to earning the platinum. So I still love the games, when they're good, they just haven't been as consistent as they were in the past.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
no. ff games could continue being hot garbanzos for 20 years. if in year 21 the next ff game looked fire, i'd play it. i don't see a point in drawing hard lines like this with games and shit. if someone says yes, but the next one looked good to you, do you like....not play it?

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I replaced FF like 20 years ago.

Regardless how i feel about FF7/FF7R and the last FF i don't think the series as a whole is bad i just found that i enjoy DQ as a series way, way, way more. The last FF games i played to completion and actually loved were FF8 and 9. There are about a dozen other series i would want to pickup and play before another FF.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I've replaced it with many series. I keep trying to replace it.

Bravely games itched the scratch and I'm waiting for Bravely 2. I've also played a ton of other games.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
Since the release of FFXIV ARR, my interest in gaming shifted to it.

Imo, nothing comes close to FFXIV from the latest releases by Square. Better than DQ and the Asano games, where he had more misses than hits.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
Just because Final Fantasy sucks ass now, doesn't mean there's something out there that can replace it. Let's see...

Dragon Quest is polished, but mind-numbingly boring. Tales of games are just mediocre anime games and I hate anime. Falcom makes janky anime games. Persona is a polished anime dating simulator which is depressing just thinking about it, let alone playing it. The less said about those awful Xenoblade games, the better. Low budget, retro-style Square Enix games like Setsuna, Octopath, the Bravely series mimic a type of rpg I didn't grow up with and without the nostalgia factor those games hold pretty much no appeal. NIS games, Atelier are of course a joke and I can't believe people actually buy those games.

Now, after you remove all that garbage, you're left with a series that could potentially be a good substitute for Final Fantasy(in terms of quality) - Shin Megami Tensei. But, ONLY if it gets the proper budget. Back on the PS2, SMT was amazing and Nocturne, together with the two Digital Devil Saga games, is a masterpiece. Unfortunately, after the PS2 era, Atlus decided they no longer wanted to compete with Square Enix in terms of budget and scope which meant I was no longer interested in their offerings. Now, after all these years, Atlus is once again releasing a big, ambitious SMT game, SMT V. I'm very excited to see how it turns out and I hope it can give Nocturne a run for its money. Atlus also has Project re Fantasy in the works, a new fantasy rpg from the creators of Persona. I'm hyped for that game as well, I just hope it doesn't take too much inspiration from that series. Oh, and for the first time since Final Fantasy XII, there's a new mainline Final Fantasy game coming out that I'm actually excited for. It's been so long, it feels kinda weird to be excited about Final Fantasy again.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The last FF I really enjoyed was nearly 15 years ago now. I replaced it with Trails until Cold Steel's relentless, repetitive pacing issues, 'military high school harem' crap and bloated cast had me abandon that too. I do enjoy Dragon Quest and SMT ( I only got into both with the DS games) and Ys (that I only got into on the Vita) instead though, although there isn't one of them that isn't infested with shitty tropes at this point.

In terms of 'fantasy timesink game' MonHun has replaced the whole genre for me though.

Last edited:

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, we have almost 6 years in between mainline entries. I have time for them still.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
I'm not taken with the style of some of them - particularly Type-0 and XV - but there's something about Final Fantasy that endures. Default RPG of choice for me.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I grew up playing Final Fantasy from 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, and a little bit of 13, 14 and 15. My favorites being 7, 8, 10, and maybe 12.
Wow, sounds like we have a very similar childhood! =D

And yes, I noticed around FF12 that the series wasn't really for me any more. There were elements of the world building I didn't appreciate (monsters, mainly. Sitting around in the world, not doing anything, their sole reason for existence being a barrier for your progression and inevitable XP piñata. There were random FF bombs just chilling out inside a giant Crystal in FF12, subsisting on nothing, that really bothered me), and I realized I connected more with characters like Basch and Ashe than I did with Vaan (turns out I wasn't alone there...).

But around the same time I found Morrowind, whose "monsters" were all completely grounded in the game world (learning about the kwama in particular gave me that "this is what I was looking for from monster design" moment). The gameplay freedom was absolutely insane given that you could ignore the main quest and essentially write your own story. And the lore was incredible, treating you like an intelligent human being that might be capable of figuring shit out by yourself by piecing together the puzzle. To this day I'm still re-reading the 36 Lessons to pick up new concepts I might have missed from the author's intentions.

I wouldn't say I've replaced FF entirely, because I still play the new releases (excluding the MMOs), but with both 13 and 15 I was VERY aware that the only reason I wasn't dropping them part way through was because I felt I owed it to my childhood self. The thought of 15 year old me knowing I was playing a game as futuristic as FF15 on a PlayStation FOUR and quitting it half way in? I couldn't stomach it. Weird feeling. But for sure, FF as a series has meant very little to me for a long time now, despite being my favourite by far throughout my childhood, and now TES is the series I consider my favourite in gaming. I really hope 16 can elevate its world design and lore because I know I won't let myself quit it...

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
There is no other franchise that gives me what FF gives me. So no I literall, cant replace it vecause no one even tries to touch it.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
FFV on the SFC was my first RPG and my first game in Japanese So FF is special to me. From XI to XIV, none of the new mainline entries clicked with me. I liked some of the remakes or spinoff, like 4DS, 4hol, Crisis Core or Type-0 PSP but it was a far cry from the passion I had for the series before.
I love DQ too and the quality has been more consistent but I have never seen it as a replacement, nor any of the other rpg series I play.
I just finished FFXV a few days ago after initially thinking it was not for me, I was very surprised how much I enjoyed it. Got me pretty excited for XVI actually.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Not for me personally. The past 3 years or so is probably the most I've ever been into 'Final Fantasy' in my life, which happens to be when I started playing FFXIV.

Zen_Master

Nov 15, 2020
The series' lustre has worn off for me since PS1/2 days, but it's not as easy or straight an answer as replacing it. I also grew out of gaming until a few years back, so there's that as well. I just play other stuff now and am perfectly fine with what I'm coming across. I'm curious about FF7R and may check it out when it comes to PC.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing will ever replace FF for me. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy other JRPGs though but it'll always be my favorite. XV is already in my top 5 FFs

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm not really picky with Final Fantasy personally. I've enjoyed all of the iterations in some form and if not, there are plenty of other FF titles to play as well.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
VII Remake was really good to me. However I've never liked FF anywhere near as much as I like Shin Megami Tensei or Atlus RPGs in general (Raidou, Digital Devil Saga, Persona etc), really. I also was more of a Front Mission and Ogre Saga fan than FF when talking about Squaresoft.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
FF went through a difficult decade, so it's easy to see why people can't let go, but FF is doing super well now. XIV and VIIR were great, and XV was solid too. There's nothing like it in gaming.

Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy releases stoped being an event after XIII's though it probably started with the milking the series went through in the Playstation 2 era. It just became a regular franchise for me, competent and entertaining for the most part but mostly forgettable.

The only thing that currently comes close to match Final Fantasy's anticipation in its prime is From Software's releases.

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
Another down for absolutely no way. As we speak, I just finished up on VIII Remastered, and am heading in to IX, X, X-2, XII, and WoFF, burning XIV on and off on savage raiding - a good few months sorted!

I'm a massive RPG nut, but there is just something that no other series can replicate. That feeling of a grand adventure, a ragtag group throw together by fate. Dragon Quest is a very close second to me, but I just can't put it close to Final Fantasy, even with the great track record it has had in the past decade compared to Final Fantasy.

I love the series dearly, and I'd think a lot to do is growing up with it. I was a PS1 guy first and foremost, so VII onwards is what I became a "gamer" on. I'd assume many are also the same, having grown up on the series.

For lack of a better phrase - "she may be blind, deaf, athritic, but she's still my Betsy".

Last edited:

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me personally the series is no longer what it once was. FF 1-6 were absolute masterpieces which I adored, FF 9 was an absolute gem as well (didnt like FFVII and FFVIII as much). I loved FFX, X-2 and XII in the PS2 era. And even FFXIII triology was a very innovative take on the series. FFXV was a big disappointment though.

At this point Im more interested in the next DQ, Persona, Fire Emblem or Xenoblade, although these games are obviously not a replacement.

If you started with FF7 then you might have missed that pretty much every game before that was focused on medieval-style Kingdoms. So it isn't that the series fell into that aesthetic and more that it had deviated away for a time.

I personally think the SNES games are the best in the series, and everything else is sort of a weird-offshoot that never reached its former glory. I tried Persona 3 FES and really liked it, but it doesn't really scratch the same itch as old school final fantasy did. I still think the JRPG genre has yet to find its "Halo moment" (or perhaps its "Dark Souls" moment?), where a game comes along that makes such a leap forward that it sets the standard for everything that comes after. People were expecting FF13 to be that game but it was almost the polar opposite!
FF Tactics, FF Chrystal Chroniclesm FF 9 and also Bravely Default (which I consider a spinoff of the series) are still medieval fantasy.

Id argue FF12 is also a lot more traditional knights and magic stuff with some futuristic elements.

Last edited:

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I replaced it with Dragon Quest and Xenoblade Chronicles. I gave XII an honest chance (twice) and even liked parts of it, but it would have been so much better with a turn based ATB battle system.. Then with XIII everything really went downhill to the point that i don't even want to play XV and the VII remake.
What i like is turn based combat and exploration and they dropped both..
On a side note: that's the same thing that got me off Mass Effect. I really liked everything from Bioware until Mass Effect 2. Tried it, but immediately noticed that it was not for me.
Maybe you should try the remaster version. Just beat it on switch and the option to fasten up battles is a game changer.

Also I get what you are saying with Mass Effect. I loved the first one but the 2nd one, while obviously being a better made game was still less enjoyable because it turned into a shooter.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

There many other great JRPGs, many which are better than a lot of FF, but FF is forever fresh in my mind.
FF is, even at its worst, always refreshing and exhilarating, when I am getting revealed a new one, or sometimes even a remaked one, I never know what I am getting this time. And I get this with no other JRPG series, hell probably not any other video game series.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
You should *really* not exclude the MMO. FFXIV is some of the best written content in the franchise and has a lot of things you mentioned.
Sure, but it's within the framework of an MMO, and an insanely limiting MMO at that when it comes to playstyle. I would have to spend dozens of hours, maybe even 50+, before getting to the expansions which are praised for writing quality, all while playing a very rigid formula of "this is the class you picked, so this is how you must play it."

If I'm going to play an MMO, it will be something like ESO where I can build a completely unique playstyle regardless of the class chosen at character creation, and I can engage in the stories that interest me at any level and not be forced to play through the back-catalogue of older content first, but still be able to cycle back to that at a later point if I want to and have the content and rewards scaled to my level. FF14 might have great writing in its expansions, but I don't understand the heaps of praise it gets as an overall package.