• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Well, have you?

• Yes

Votes: 1,121 72.0%
  • No

Votes: 395 25.4%
  • My body is a temple, I don't eat trash anyway

Votes: 40 2.6%

• Total voters

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Even more than normal. Supporting the local restaurants who are doing it rough.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I don't really want to put delivery people in the position of having to do this stuff...

Jun 10, 2018
I think I've ordered out twice since the pandemic shutdown? I didn't order out much before it and preferred to make my own meals so not much has changed in that department.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Almost everyday. It seems safer than grocery stores at this point, I can stay inside and I support local restaurants who are hit hard by this crisis.
I don't get the 'my body is a temple option' by the way. Perhaps it's different here in the Netherlands, but you can order super healthy food as well. It's definitely not all pizzas and burgers.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Yep Pizza just the one time. I doubt I'll do it again for the foreseeable future though,

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Ordered Pizza, reheated it for 30 mins threw everything it came with away... I hope that killed any viruses and shit.

Jill Sandwich

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I've been supporting my local businesses that have had to switch tactics to keep afloat. I want them to be there when the plague lifts. As long as we're keeping things clean and doing contactless delivery there's no problem.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I might consider it from an independently owned local takeaway such as a Chinese or Indian place where they care about their business, but Im not ordering shit from a chain like a pizza hut, kfc, or subway because i dont trust that there will be at least one disgruntled 17 yr old going "Corona virus challenge lolz".

Last edited:

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I love supporting good local restaurants. The first authentic Chinese restaurant in the area opened a few months ago and I NEED it to survive so that I don't have to drive an extra 20 minutes to get to the next closest one.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I did last night, very much regretted it.

Getting everything out of the packaging felt like bomb disposal, and then once we'd done it we realised that as it had salad in it anyway then if someone was ill it could very well be transmitted via that anyway. Actually wanted to order Chinese, but every single one near me was closed. There's usually a choice of about 10. Not good. :(

But yeah, wont be doing it again. Also wanted to tip the delivery guy, but he noped the fuck out of there. They really should have an option in the app for that (I know deliveroo does it).

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Lol at those saying it's too risky when grocery infection shopping is right there

This, a sister island to us has banned take-aways outright a couple days ago.

I think it's an over-reaction, having to go out to stores amongst other people in confined spaces with staff that handle hundreds/thousands of items without swapping gloves is likely a higher risk than a fucking take-away right. Delivery drivers likely only contact is the bag it came in, stuck in their vehicles 99% of the time and drop it off with more zero contact.

Also delivery staff here and told to not make contact or take cash, the app lets us tip online and it shows clearly how much of the tip is for the driver.

As for cooks, you'd hope they'd take appropriate measure as they should always be handling food, but even more so.

Last edited:

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nope. Only got some take-away food shortly before our lockdown.

I'm cooking a lot and I'm probably gaining weight. :-/

Now that I read all these "support local businesses"-comments I'm thinking about getting some takeaway food now and then.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I haven't. Since I'm now stuck in the house more and there's no more 90 minutes of sprinting around a football pitch twice a week, even though I do a bit of exercise I'm trying to avoid eating too much junk food. Just to stay healthy.

Though I really am craving a fuck off disgusting takeaway... May cave.

Linkyn

Oct 27, 2017
We try to support local restaurants by picking up / having food delivered once or twice a week.

Poeton

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I did burgers from a local burger joint a few weeks ago. I regretted my choice after realizing the packaging is basically contaminated.

I have done papa Murphy's a few times. I think the risk is somewhat mitigated since you bake the pizza. Plus I got a pretty good method for baking their pizzas.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
At least once a week for me. I do wish I could avoid using the popular delivery apps like Ubereats or Doordash and just have the restaurant deliver directly themselves, but only few places are doing that (but glad my local pizza place is offering it). Most just default to the 3rd-party apps.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
No, but we only go out to eat or order takeaway food a handful of times a year anyway. I'm not avoiding it because of the pandemic; it's just business as usual for me.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I've placed some orders but I've gone and picked them up; I never bother with delivery because of tipping and the fees. Or some of the places I like don't even do delivery so it isn't an option. A place I love reopened a week and a half ago after being closed for three months due to a truck driving through the building into their kitchen doing like $100K in damage. I've been craving one of their calzones this whole time, so I went and got one that may have been the best calzone I've ever eaten.

At no time while picking up the food, handling the container, or eating did Coronavirus enter my mind.

Last edited:

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
Nah not worth the risk
Not ordering food has saved me money forcing me to cook more often and I'm eating healthier anyways. Didn't want to risk contact.
But like, where are you getting your food from? I guess if you're getting frozen or dry goods.

If you're getting meats/fish/vegetables/fruits, then you run into a lot of people potentially handling/breathing on them. Not to mention being in the store, where it's pretty much impossible to stay 6 feet away from people.

Even people who do instacart have people handling your food. Though, probably safer than being out at the store.

Edit: I've been doing curb side pickup from certain places a few times a week. Some local and some chain. I imagine a lot of these places have been losing business over the past few weeks, so it's good to support them.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, we do it to support local restaurants that are hurting. Take all the food out of their containers, put it on a plate, wash your hands, your fine. I haven't seen a single expert say to be worried about your food.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, we do it to support local restaurants that are hurting. Take all the food out of their containers, put it on a plate, wash your hands, your fine. I haven't seen a single expert say to be worried about your food.

I probably order out more than i usually did before all this. Have to support the community where i can.

Oct 25, 2017
Supporting local businesses is good. We ordered a few times before the lockdown really kicked in and we plan on doing so over the next few days.

Just take precautions and be considerate to those people that you're ordering from. I'm avoiding chain places as they're probably getting enough business at the moment and are probably getting the short end on social distancing.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Once, took 2 and a half hours haha. Wasn't surprised though and was worthwhile

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
We've been using a local food delivery service at work to try to help out some of the non-chain businesses in town.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
everything you could possibly get at the store may have been handled by an employee w/ Corona, or a customer w/ Corona who decided they want to look at the label

Take out seems a lot more safe considering you're avoiding crowds.
It's an extra step of contact that doesn't need to exist.

Some people like myself need to minimize risk due to being more at risk.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I've ordered 3 times, twice from local places (Indian, and Pizza), and McDonalds. Mcdonalds was because we have breakfast from there on sundays usually because her parents give her a lift to work and we hang out with them for a while, so we ordered it for our video call with them... Kinda just to make things feel a bit more normal

battousai

Oct 25, 2017
All of the Chinese food places around us have closed down for now, which sucks because I was in the mood for Chinese food a couple days ago

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
We order food every now and then, pandemic or not. It just happens to be ordering now extra supports the restaurants.

We're ordering today!

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. It's the only way to show support for struggling local businesses. Here in Germany, there aren't THAT many chains comparatively so it's a lot of locally owned restaurants. Want to help them survive