• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
Mr. T at E3 in 2003. That will always stick in my mind. He was promoting the Rocky boxing game on PS2

Hey I saw him at the same E3. Didn't speak to him or anything but I have pictures. Man, E3 in the 2000s was really something. You could run into literally anyone. I've bumped into Snoop Dogg, Vin Diesel, Trent Reznor, Ice T, Bruce Campbell, Robin Williams, Carmen Electra and tons of other celebs just wandering the exhibit halls

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I knew Drake before he became mega famous, soft-spoken and not a bad dude at all.

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
I have a couple of stories (I work at an airport which makes it easy).

One was YEARS ago in Toronto walking down Queen St. I saw Courtney Cox in about 15ft away w/ a nanny and two kids. I was with my eldest sister at the time. We, both movie nerds, were trying to go through the list of events or current filmings in the city to figure out why she was in town. Two or so minutes into it I asked her "Where do you think David (Arquette) is?" and a voice chimed in "Right here!" He was a half-step behind us the entire time. He struck up a conversation and we hang out for a few minutes while Courtney walked into a storefront. Nice guy. Nothing talked about in particular, just life stuff. Seemed down to earth. I felt bad when I later saw him being flanked by some autograph seekers who wouldn't back down.

The second, and more recent, was interacting with Romany Malco at the airport while working. It wasn't anything crazy (I was working after all) but we just riffed for a few minutes about his friends and wife. Very pleasant.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Charles Martinet (Voice Actor for those Mario games people like) is as wholesome as you think he'd be.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Jason Paige surprised the crowd at Video Games Live to sing the Pokemon theme song and did a meet-and-greet with Tommy Tallarico after the show.

Jason Paige is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the kindest celebrity I have ever met. He was glowing, just super positive and super cool to be around. Always greeted people with a smile, always happy to talk, he was just an all-around amazing guy.

This is for you.

Guzim

Oct 25, 2017
I worked on Insomnia back in 2001, and spent a considerable amount of time with Al Pacino, Robin Williams, Hilary Swank and Christopher Nolan.

Robin was a gem. A truly kind-hearted individual. His son was in to hip hop, and he'd always wear a DJ Honda hat on set. We did a rap off one day in front of the craft service table.

Hilary was lovely as well. She'd just hang with the crew when she wasn't on set, and knit.

Al is.......Al. Not difficult to be around or anything, but he definitely wasn't engaging.

Christopher was really cool. I had some good conversations with him about film. His wife, Emma, is a wonderful human being. She kept in touch with a bunch of us after the film wrapped through email.

Maybe not someone everyone knows, but Nicky Katt is a super rad guy. A bunch of us would go smoke weed together after the day would wrap, and drink at the only bar in town way up north in this small BC town that was doubling for Alaska.
What!!!!!!!! All of this is awesome.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I was drunk as fuck after a Motorhead Concert on 2011 and I think I had a Beer with Lemmy afterwards.
Sounds realistic enough and the Beer-Lemmy in my Memory was a swell dude.

Last edited:

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
I fixed Tim Pigott-Smith's PC in about 2007 and stayed pretty good friends with him until he died a few years back.

When I told my house mate I was going, she asked me to get signed photos as she loved Jewel in the Crown and the original Clash of the Titans, he didn't mind at all.

He wasn't super famous, but well respected and was just the loveliest guy.

Disliked the Tories too, and spoke at the occupy/protest outside St Paul's. Top, top bloke.

Other celebs I've met have mostly been a bit stand offish.

Spaaaaaaaaace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The band Circle Jerks gave me tickets to their show when they saw me and my friends sitting at the bus stop. They seemed like pretty cool dudes.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Adam West. He was at E3 one year, and I was the last one in an autograph line. I was allowed to chat with him and get a photo while his assistants were cleaning up. Was just an awesome guy.

Was this at their Vegas show? I was not expecting them to hang out in the lobby and meet and greet people after the show. They were both really nice.

Yeah. It's to my understanding they stay until absolutely everybody gets a chance to talk and take a picture. Cool guys. Fantastic show, too.

Oct 27, 2017
I was drunk as fuck after a Motorhead Concert on 2011 and I think I had a Beer with Lemmy afterwards.
Sounds realisitic enough and the Beer-Lemmy in my Memory was a swell dude.

Some friends of mine in a rock band from Norway ended up at the Rainbow Bar & Grill in LA, and ended up talking to Lemmy at his gambling machine. At first he was kinda 'fuck off, guys' until he heard they were from Norway, and he asked them to come over for a chat, and gave them free tickets to his tribute show later that evening. Lemmy was a true gent. And a damn smart guy too, apparently he knew the entire line of Norwegian kings back to the viking era. And even I as a born and bred Norwegian couldn't do that.

Oct 27, 2017
Met Jerry Only from the Misfits on one of their revival tours. He was super nice. Signed my poster with a little drawing of a skull and chatted with me about the show for a few minutes.

I'm genuinely jelly over this. I love The Misfits so much I have the Crimson Ghost tattooed. At least I've met Michale Graves and had him sign the Misfits albums he sang on.

I worked on Insomnia back in 2001, and spent a considerable amount of time with Al Pacino, Robin Williams, Hilary Swank and Christopher Nolan.

Robin was a gem. A truly kind-hearted individual. His son was in to hip hop, and he'd always wear a DJ Honda hat on set. We did a rap off one day in front of the craft service table.

Hilary was lovely as well. She'd just hang with the crew when she wasn't on set, and knit.

Al is.......Al. Not difficult to be around or anything, but he definitely wasn't engaging.

Christopher was really cool. I had some good conversations with him about film. His wife, Emma, is a wonderful human being. She kept in touch with a bunch of us after the film wrapped through email.

Maybe not someone everyone knows, but Nicky Katt is a super rad guy. A bunch of us would go smoke weed together after the day would wrap, and drink at the only bar in town way up north in this small BC town that was doubling for Alaska.

Haha, you know US Insomnia is a remake of a Norwegian movie that was partially filmed up north where I'm from? 😁

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
Sounds realistic enough and the Beer-Lemmy in my Memory was a swell dude.

Can confirm he was a super nice person. Even kinder though? Mikey Dee. What a lovely person.

Eddie Guerrero and Rey Mysterio spring to mind immediately when thinking of the nicest celebrities I've met. Kerry King of Slayer is also a gent.

Oct 27, 2017
The thought of Lemmy ticking off sixty four Norwegian monarchs in a row is extremely amusing. I want to believe it!

He was extremely knowledgeable about history, supposedly. Especially WW2 history. He collected Nazi paraphernalia because he liked the aesthetics and designs (which I can fully understand), but was completely apolitical and considered himself sort of an anarchist. Smart guy, true gent, and a rock n roll legend.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Most of them, the only one that gave me really iffy vibes was Max Landis which, yeah, that definitely turned out to be true.

David Silverman, Scott Adsit, Dan Harmon and Jeff Davis were all really nice when I spent some time with them

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I had dinner with Biden. It was a fundraising dinner in a steakhouse. He was really nice. I was a college kid with literally no money to give but he still got my name when he first came in, and then an hour later came back around, remembered my name, and had a short conversation with me about school.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Last year I was at NYC comic con with one of my friends. We were just walking through one of the exhibit areas and a voice behind us said 'man, you guys look like a couple of bodyguards. Can I hire you?'

Turn around and it was the old WWE wrestler Gangrel. We ended up striking up a short chat with him about his current whereabouts( IIRC hes a wrestling trainer now). Was real down to earth and chill to talk with. I used to like his gimmick back in the day with the Brood so it was a pretty cool moment as a fan of the attitude era.

ffgameman

Nov 2, 2017
Former Kentucky Wildcat and NBA player Kenny Walker. My mom and I met him while eating at a local BBQ joint.

He sat with us for around 30 minutes and talked sports, religion and health. I had recently been through brain surgery for a benign tumor. Kenny "Sky" Walker was very friendly and down-to-earth. When we left he signed an order ticket for me.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Liv Tyler was super nice. She was with Scott speedman but he didn't really want to be bothered. I think he was jealous no one knew who he was at the bar.

Meredith veiera was also very chill. She shopped at my old job and was really nice to talk to.

Jeffrey demunn (Dale from walking dead) was cool. His wife was a wet blanket but he joked around and was interesting.

Met Kristen cavaleri 15 years ago and shared some cheese fries with her in Portland. I didn't know who she was at the time but she was nice.

Ary F.

Oct 30, 2017
I met Irfan Khan (RIP) when I was a cocktail waitress one summer. He was an absolute gentleman the entire night and tipped me 100 bucks. I remember he had a really infectious laugh.

My brother met Rashida Jones once and said she was more gorgeous in person.

Also, not me, but I found out this past Christmas that my Uncle once met Henry Cavill at some sorta dinner. Described him as shy but kind hearted and genuine.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Met Hunter Pence at Blizzcon a few years ago, cool guy.

I don't know if Beetlejuice is especially famous, but years back, we bullshitted for about thirty minutes outside a pizza parlor while he waited for his ride. Super nice, gave me a bumper sticker.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Mike Shinoda (Linkin Park, Fort Minor)
Over 10 years, possibly 2008, I went to a Projekt Revolution tour. Those were Linkin Park summer tours wherein they invited other bands, rappers, et all for full-day shows. I remember wandering the vendor section and leaning over to my gf and saying "that's Mike Shinoda, holy shit". "No it's not". "Yes it is, he's looking at the fan-made sneaker designs!" "Why would he be wandering by himself, looking at fanart on shoes?". I was determined so I walked over anyway and tried to play it cool. I looked up at the shoes and tried to force a conversation. "That one is cool", I pointed up at a particularly wacky sneaker design at the display. It was definitely Mike. "Yeah man, I've been eyeing that one too- isn't the green shape in the corner cool?". I caved in and turned him. "Sorry I'm bad at this, I just wanted to let you know I'm a fan, I love your music and I am still obsessed with your Fort Minor project". He turned to me and had a huge smile "dude, thank you so much. That actually fucking means a lot to hear, can I hug you?". Super sweet guy, gave me a huge hug. ...then I noticed Brad (?) the guitar player had been standing right next to him. A guy in a suit with an ear piece quickly jogged up to Mike and tapped his shoulder "hey, we need you" so as they left I clumsily called out to the guitarist "your'e cool too man!".

Awesome thread Idea and I really loved this. Mike Shinoda always seemed like one of the nicest guys and like you I was really obsessed with everything he did. If he asked me to hug him I'd probably squeal in delight.

Kobe Bryant 03/03/2019 - Eat Chow - Newport, CA

I was having breakfast and this great little hole in the wall down in Newport called Eat Chow with a friend of mine.
Its a tiny spot that can fit probably 50 people at max and it wasn't a particularly crowded day. This blacked out Range Rover pulls up and all these kids with smiles beaming on their faces jump out and then Vanessa Bryant gets out and your brain hitches for a second and you think... Wow that girl looks exactly like Vanessa Bryant how crazy. Then as your thinking that the drivers door opens and all 6'6 of Kobe Bryant gets out and walks up right next to you. I've seen a decent amount of celebrities before but seeing Kobe Bryant with this whole family my brain truly shut off. The whole Cafe along my friend and I came to an absolute stand still. I've still never experienced anything like it. Kobe looked around at all of us with his chest high drawing everyones attention in. The complete opposite of most celebrities who will do anything to not be noticed. After a moment he said - "I would just like to apologize in advance if your waffles take a little longer to come out than you expected." Everyone tried to speak up in different ways as he flashed that smile of his and then he said "Also being this is Sunday I'm off the clock and trying to make up some family time so please no autographs or selfies today" they all sat down about 5 feet from my table and ate. After everyone had eaten and they were about wrapping everything up I turned my chair and said - "Kobe" and he looked up and said "Hey man, you get the waffles haha" and I was like "Of course they are legendary just like you brotha. Thanks for making these years as a basketball and Laker fan so rewarding" then a bunch of other people spoke out in agreement and he put his hands up in a prayerful head bow and just said "Thanks for accepting a Phili kid and teaching him how to enjoy the California sun. Lakers fans are the best fans". He got up about 15 minutes later and as he was leaving which I have captured on my phone in true TMZ stalker fashion this dumb ass that was just arriving at the cafe b-lines it to him for a selfie which Kobe shut down in 2 seconds. About 3 minutes after he left the waiters said he had paid for everyones breakfast. Coolest experience I've ever had with a celebrity. When he died it felt like a family member was gone. I've never been that affected by anyone famous dying in my life.

Quiet a few but spent a good chunk of a full day with Jason Momoa and he's every bit as legit, down to earth, folksy, as you see. Ripped t shirts jeans beat up trucks and beers. No posse or handlers.

on the flip side though way way less famous, comedian John Hodgeman is a shit drunk and a total ass who I got into a a small thing with once because he thought he could pick up a female friend of mine cause - he could? I dunno. But we screamed at each other and he left so :🤷:. Jimmy Fallon was a bit of a distant aloof standoffish so didnt care much for him but timmothy bussfield was fun. What a weird day.

Harker please. Details bro, I need details on Baba Voss!!

Unspoken90

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if they count, but most members of bands I met have been super cool.

Lajon Witherspoon (Sevendust)
Elize Ryd (Amaranthe)
Tommy Karevik (Kamelot)
Chibi (The Birthday Massacre)
Rainbow (The Birthday Massacre)
Cristina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil)
Uliana (Cilver)

Also Jason Mewes was pretty chill.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Out of the semi-famous people to an old man from the 90's my encounter with celebrities, all while attending school in NYC, was the following.
Jeru The Damaja - Have actually had two encounters with him and he was incredibly chill both times.
Bjork - So damn cute in I mean she was like a pixie or some shit gliding down the street. Told her I loved her music and she sang something and smiled.
Busta Rhymes - Huge asshole. Ironically enough I was introduced to him and ask to sit at the table he was at in an effort to help someone else sell me on business (super long story). Things did not work out with me and said person and it was partially to do with that night.
Matthew Broderick - Walked around 2 city blocks with him and he was just a genuinely good dude. Just talked about random city shit.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Vic Ireland - Was chatting with various people in the Gaijinworks forums and mentioned that I was a big Lunar:EB fan but no longer had a copy of the first game. He surprise PMed me and asked me for my address & then sent me a copy of the PS1 Lunar 1, plus an extra Lunar:EB pin he had. And then later, I met him at an E3 and we talked RPGs for a while & he gave me some merch he had on hand.

Brandon Sanderson - Took a class from him in college & he was super nice. Saw him again at a book reading later and still super nice. At the end of the book reading, somebody who was there wanted to share their Sonic the Hedgehog fanfic with him and he was surprisingly patient.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only major celebrity I've met was Jessica Alba -- like 15 years ago -- She was very nice.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Went to a party during Cannes and met Julianne Moore and Petra Nemcova. They were both super friendly and willing to chat with everyone. It probably helped that the party was only like 50 people or so and at a private residence, but they weren't surrounded by bodyguards or assistants or anything like that. That's far from my experience with other celebs. One time I was supposed to be this celebs point of contact, get her everything she needed throughout the night, make sure she was well taken care of, etc. She wouldn't even acknowledge me, not even when I was introduced to her before the event. She had her personal assistant work as a middleman of sorts, her PA did all the communicating between us. What a lame person that "star" was.

Another celeb that was super nice was a Hong Kong actress called Xuan Xuan... she was really pleasant. Even when I stepped on her dress on accident she was like "it's all good, no worries."

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Christian Slater filmed a movie down the street from me. The scene had him swearing and tearing off through an alley. After they were done shooting he came and greeted those of us that had gathered on the lawn. He noticed a few kids around and said "I'm sorry for the language!" Then hung out for 20-30 minutes shaking hands and taking pictures. It was pretty neat, seemed like a good dude.

I never did see the movie, think it was some indie title. This was several years before Mr. Robot.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
I met Anna Bulbrook from The Airborne Toxic Event after a show in Athens, GA. They still weren't incredibly big at that time, though "Sometime Around Midnight" had just started playing on alt radio stations.

Long story short, she stayed after the show and talked with a few of the fans, which included my then-girlfriend-now-wife. She was really cool and seemed like the type of person who would go on to do something awesome. (She created GIRLSCHOOL, which empowers female musicians.)

DTJAAAAM

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I was in Chicago and happened to be staying at a hotel where a ton of AEW wrestlers were staying due to a show/convention. Ended up staying at the gym doing my workout for longer than planned just to see who would walk in next. Didn't talk to most of them, but did take moment to say hello to Arn Anderson when he was resting between sets on a machine. Told him I love his podcast and he thanked me, asked for my name, and shook my hand.

Sledward

Oct 27, 2017
I spotted Richard Ashcroft hiding behind a pram in the WHSmiths doorway in Cheltenham, laughed at him and went to mcdonalds for a Big Mac.

Oct 29, 2017
I went to a live comedy bang bang and got my Wii fit disc signed by Lauren lapkus, Paul f Thompkins and Scott auckerman. Everyone was pleasant and I made my hellos quick with them. I was pretty much the last one in line. I let Scott know that I would be hearing from him later. He asked what I meant and I pointed at my ear and he laughed. I'm glad I made a stupid joke for Scott.

edit: forgot to mention that I tweeted him with my non-popular Twitter and he hearted it or whatever so maybe he had a genuine laugh

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Gaming celebrity-Drove 2 and a half hours to meet Charles Martinet who is awesome as you can imagine. Such a sweet guy and we talked about Super Mario 64 for a bit. He signed my Mario Amiibo and gave me a poster when I told him it was my birthday.

Real celebrity: Alfonso Rivera from Fresh Prince. I was going through the food court at my old job when I saw my buddies huddled up and talking about him sitting down in a corner with his agent. Had the guts to go up to him and ask for photo and his agent started scolding me about leaving him along. Luckily, he told his agent to calm down and offered to take a Pic. Such a nice guy in person! Though I can't see myself bothering a celebrity again for a photo, lol.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Briefly met Joel Mchale at a tasting event at a brewery. My friend and I knew the server so she took us over to the table and he took pictures with us. He was super friendly to us random fans who interrupted his meal.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
Comic folks I've met that were warm and welcoming:

Brian Michael Bendis
Jeph Loeb
Ed Brubaker
Peter David
Sean McKeever
Michael Allred
Jonathan Hickman

Comedians:

Greg Behrendt