• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
It's tough to learn that your favorite artist or actor has really problematic views or worse, has an abusive past. Even if they don't fall into those categories, sometimes you just find out that they're kind of a mean person. My favorite podcast used to have a reoccuring segment called "Dave Cruel-ier" because so many listeners had stories about Dave Coulier (Uncle Joey on Full House) being excessively mean or cruel to fans.

That's why I wanted to spread some love and share positive encounters we've had with people that went way better than expected. I want to avoid stories that my friends have but I might cave because there are a couple of gems.

Mike Shinoda (Linkin Park, Fort Minor)
Over 10 years, possibly 2008, I went to a Projekt Revolution tour. Those were Linkin Park summer tours wherein they invited other bands, rappers, et all for full-day shows. I remember wandering the vendor section and leaning over to my gf and saying "that's Mike Shinoda, holy shit". "No it's not". "Yes it is, he's looking at the fan-made sneaker designs!" "Why would he be wandering by himself, looking at fanart on shoes?". I was determined so I walked over anyway and tried to play it cool. I looked up at the shoes and tried to force a conversation. "That one is cool", I pointed up at a particularly wacky sneaker design at the display. It was definitely Mike. "Yeah man, I've been eyeing that one too- isn't the green shape in the corner cool?". I caved in and turned him. "Sorry I'm bad at this, I just wanted to let you know I'm a fan, I love your music and I am still obsessed with your Fort Minor project". He turned to me and had a huge smile "dude, thank you so much. That actually fucking means a lot to hear, can I hug you?". Super sweet guy, gave me a huge hug. ...then I noticed Brad (?) the guitar player had been standing right next to him. A guy in a suit with an ear piece quickly jogged up to Mike and tapped his shoulder "hey, we need you" so as they left I clumsily called out to the guitarist "your'e cool too man!".

Ghostface Killah (Wu-tang Clan)
Same show, he set up a table and did autographs. Totally free, no merch, just hanging out and talking to fans. He signed my leaflet, complimented a shirt I was wearing (I can't remember wtf I was wearing) and gave me a bro-hug.

Reel Big Fish (90's ska band)
Unfairly labeled as a 3-hit wonder ska band (Beer, Sell-out, Take on Me), these guys didn't blow up past the United States...or the 90's. My gf and her best friend remained loyal however, and I started exploring their other albums (Cheer Up! and We're Not Happy have some gems on them). I've seen them live about 12 times, they toured frequently and the shows were always dirt cheap even when they were playing with their other ska friends like Streetlight Manifesto and Less than Jake. My gf and her bestie had been going to shows long since before we were dating and her friend always wore cute lgbt pride shirts with a cute slogan on it (it was their nickname, I don't want to give it away). The lead-singer Aaron would notice them at shows and smile, even get on the mic "it's you! I fucking love your shirt". My gf's bestie transitioned during this time and it was understandably a really emotional and often painful transition for him- but I still remember going to a show my gf and him and Aaron after the show approaching us. "Dude it's you! I remember you! You're not wearing the shirt but I know it's you!". I can't tell you how meaningful it was for our friend to hear this from his hero, and they exchanged the cutest, longest hug. Afterwards we grabbed a quick beer at the bar. Really fun guys.

Mick Foley (WWE - Mankind/Cactus Jack/Dude Love)
I ran into him at a Boston book convention. He was promoting a children's book that he wrote and I asked if I could interrupt him to say hi and thank you for entertaining me as a child. He had a big smile and asked if I wanted a picture (my buddy is tasked with looking for the camera, I will find it some day!). It was a brief exchange but it left me with a really warm impression of him.

Smaller encounters I've had that were really wonderful were with members of 311, The Ataris, Limp Bizkit (yup), Devil Makes Three.

My friends have awesome stories about Kevin Bacon, Nic Cage, Bruno Mars, The Black Keys, Chris Evans, Dave Matthews but I'm not sure what I can repeat because they are not my stories to tell- I'll come back on a couple of them. Friend also interned for Conan O'Brien and she had really wonderful things to say about him. Finally, met someone at a party who saw Jerry Seinfeld going an escalator in the opposite direction and yelled to him "HELLOOOOO" and Jerry smirked and returned a "LUH-LUH-LUHHH". Also heard a cool story about Chris Pratt (I know) sticking up for a bunch of underpaid assistants and interns on a set that were being bullied by the director(?), argued for better hours and brought them all coffee and breakfast. Finally another friend of mine bumped into Joe Mangeniello hanging out in Boston last fall and struck up a quick friendly chat with him. Nice dude.

Oct 27, 2017
janet weiss, drummer for sleater kinney and quasi.

SUCH a nice person, i had the loveliest five minutes talking with her at the merch table.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Talking to Megadeth in the alley behind the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver after a concert (the day after 9/11) was super cool. It was a rare moment where their popularity dipped enough to play a small venue and just chill with fans.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Tons. Patrick Stewart, Timothy Omundson, Danny Pudi, Neil Gaiman, John Hodgman, Marc Evan Jackson, LeVar Burton...

Danny Pudi in particular is one of my favorites. I got to meet him at some kind of function, can't remember what it was about anymore. We randomly started talking and I brought up that the My Dinner With Andre pastiche episode was my dad's favorite episode of Community and his eyes LIT up. We ended up chatting for nearly half an hour about the show and comedy in general, and it was just really great to see someone I always thought was so funny also be such a nice guy to chat with.

Reel Big Fish (90's ska band)
Unfairly labeled as a 3-hit wonder ska band (Beer, Sell-out, Take on Me), these guys didn't blow up past the United States...or the 90's. My gf and her best friend remained loyal however, and I started exploring their other albums (Cheer Up! and We're Not Happy have some gems on them). I've seen them live about 12 times, they toured frequently and the shows were always dirt cheap even when they were playing with their other ska friends like Streetlight Manifesto and Less than Jake. My gf and her bestie had been going to shows long since before we were dating and her friend always wore cute lgbt pride shirts with a cute slogan on it (it was their nickname, I don't want to give it away). The lead-singer Aaron would notice them at shows and smile, even get on the mic "it's you! I fucking love your shirt". My gf's bestie transitioned during this time and it was understandably a really emotional and often painful transition for him- but I still remember going to a show my gf and him and Aaron after the show approaching us. "Dude it's you! I remember you! You're not wearing the shirt but I know it's you!". I can't tell you how meaningful it was for our friend to hear this from his hero, and they exchanged the cutest, longest hug. Afterwards we grabbed a quick beer at the bar. Really fun guys.

John Christensen was the voice of my voicemail message on my cell phone for ten years, with Scott and Aaron in the background. It was always fun to run into them and Suburban Legends at things. Vince Walker was real cool to me too.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
Courtney Barnett is the nicest person I ever put a show on for I think. Dave Grohl is very nice but I think that's well known at this point. All members of Haim were sweet too.

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
Cliff Bleszinski!

Ahhhhaha, I'm just kidding. He seemed like a sleezebag considering he was joking with me about trying to hook up with an El Shaddai cosplayer later in the day. Pretty sure he was dating Lauren Berggren at the time.

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
John Christensen was the voice of my voicemail message on my cell phone for ten years, with Scott and Aaron in the background. It was always fun to run into them and Suburban Legends at things. Vince Walker was real cool to me too.
That's really sweet. Also met Scott who was a super nice guy. Band really lost something special when he left.

Cliff Bleszinski!

Ahhhhaha, I'm just kidding. He seemed like a sleezebag considering he was joking with me about trying to hook up with an El Shaddai cosplayer later in the day. Pretty sure he was dating Lauren Berggren at the time.
Buddy of mine met Cliff's former friend and collaborator Arjun Brusse who is a WAYYYYY nicer person apparently. (I say "met" but I think they interacted online)

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obama. After the ceremony was over and he shook all of our hands, he stuck around for several hours just talking with the families of those who were killed in action. The cameras were all gone at that point, no one would have known if he had just bounced. I'm sure he had other matters that demanded his attention, but he made the time. Came across as far more genuine than I expected from a politician.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's really sweet. Also met Scott who was a super nice guy. Band really lost something special when he left.

In all my interactions with Scott he always felt like the one who was the most nervous about being out in public. Nice guy, but distinctly quieter than the others. You're absolutely right that the band was never the same after he left - I kinda stopped following them after their first post-Scott album because I just couldn't process Aaron's voice without Scott's harmonies.

I really wish his standalone projects actually panned out but it seems like his health issues just prevented him from putting as much love into the craft as he used to. I think he's a teacher now.

Edit: Looks like he just did a solo show last year!

Wilson

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Big E (WWE) wrestler. Met him after a ppv in tampa and he chatted with a group of us for nearly an hour, including spending a good deal of time with a kid who was attending the high school that E graduated from. Incredible human.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
I met Johnny Jewel and Megan Louise just before a live concert. I only spoke to them for like a minute because they had to go on stage, and I was shocked that I actually was talking to them because they're some of my favourite musicians, but they seemed really nice.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Not super famous or anything but I shot the shit with Herman hulst and his team for a while before horizon had been unveiled. One of the most humble group of people I've talked to in the industry.

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
In all my interactions with Scott he always felt like the one who was the most nervous about being out in public. Nice guy, but distinctly quieter than the others. You're absolutely right that the band was never the same after he left - I kinda stopped following them after their first post-Scott album because I just couldn't process Aaron's voice without Scott's harmonies.

I really wish his standalone projects actually panned out but it seems like his health issues just prevented him from putting as much love into the craft as he used to. I think he's a teacher now.
My gf commented that she never sees him after the show and Aaron made a joke about Scott being terrified of crowds and super shy. Seems consistent. I liked his solo project and good lord was "Drunk Again" a fantastic closing song.

OMG just noticed your avatar btw, based Locke, fuck yes.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
Vince Vaughn was a principal for the day at my high school. He was super cool to the students, taught an after school class on acting, and he donated an air conditioner to every classroom in the school.

Oct 25, 2017
LL Cool J is a lot more fun than you'd think. Really good guy and likes to bullshit, isn't all go all the time.

Napalm Death (Fear, Emptiness, Despair era) were all really cool dudes.

Kraftwerk were something else. They hung out in the places they heard people were wanting to hang out at after the show, and followed to a drive thru and ordered the same things. They were like these lost puppies but they were such fucking cool dudes!

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
My cousin was 12, maybe 13, visiting us during summer. He was at a mall in the bathroom and AZ Diamondback David Delucchi went in. He was (and still is) huge into sports. So I guess he freaked out and Delucchi was apparently real cool about a tween bothering him while trying to take a piss. That always made me like Delucchi.

Xalechim

Oct 28, 2017
Not super famous, but Tom Kenny will talk your ear off. Guy has tremendous charisma and passion for what he does and his fans.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
My gf commented that she never sees him after the show and Aaron made a joke about Scott being terrified of crowds and super shy. Seems consistent. I liked his solo project and good lord was "Drunk Again" a fantastic closing song.

OMG just noticed your avatar btw, based Locke, fuck yes.

I regularly bounce back and forth between "Welcome to New York", "Always Sayin'" and "Welcome to New York" as my favorite RBF or RBF-adjacent songs of all time. Scott's lead vox are just way more emotional and evocative than Aaron's. Of course that might also be because my singing voice is closer to his so his songs are easier for me to sing appropriately.

And yep, hardline FF6 fan here, always and forever.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I met Peter Mayhew and King Kong Bundy while they were still alive. Very nice guys. Also Dirk Benedict, who was really nice (also drunk at the time).

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, just like any demo there is good and bad. You just hear about bad celebrity behavior because it sells, unless one rescues someone or donates ton of money and time your not going to hear about it.

As for meeting them unless they area notorious asshole I try not to judge based on an interaction or two, they are human too, have bad days, get sick of attention, and conversely just because they are always nice and "on" doesn't always mean they are good or nice, it just means they are very protective of their public image.

I personally prefer genuine and not an asshole, in, that category there are some really good guys at least to me in the Dropkick Murphys and these particular two are also really fun to talk music with, not as in their music but in general and across genres.

Also agree with the person who said Ghostface, only met him briefly once or twice but a pretty cool cat.

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I regularly bounce back and forth between "Welcome to New York", "Always Sayin'" and "Welcome to New York" as my favorite RBF or RBF-adjacent songs of all time. Scott's lead vox are just way more emotional and evocative than Aaron's. Of course that might also be because my singing voice is closer to his so his songs are easier for me to sing appropriately.

And yep, hardline FF6 fan here, always and forever.
"Always Sayin" YESSSS. Wow it's been years, I need to go listen to that right now.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Michael Dudok de Wit (director of The Red Turtle) is a great guy, really lovely and wholesome dude. Not sure if he counts as famous though.

easter

Nov 15, 2017
I ate a burger next to zach de la rocha once but didn't want to bother him (i geeked out about it tho).

Random number of days later I saw him in the lettuce/greens section of trader joes. I nervously initiated some super small talk about how I was a fan and just wanted to say what up and he totally stopped what he was doing and was suuuuuuper cool.

Oct 27, 2017
T-Pain is actually really nice and chill.

And this wasn't even current day T-Pain. This was height of auto-tune T-Pain.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Jim Adkins from Jimmy Eat World was one of the most down to earth celebrities I've ever met. Had a drink and a cigar with him, and talked about D&D.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"Always Sayin" YESSSS. Wow it's been years, I need to go listen to that right now.

Fun fact: it looks like Scott completely remastered and released his two solo songs (WTNY and The Hilarious) as a single on iTunes last year. I just found out about this and bought them immediately.

BillerBomber

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I met Hideki Kamiya twice, he's actually a really nice and humble guy. Second time he went out his way to give me a Scalebound poster saying he was excited to finally show it to the public ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Zonar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona, USA
Ice-T was at a restaurant in the table next to me and it was a seat open so I sat down and listened to him talk. At first he looked at me oddly which was rightfully so because I wasn't sitting at that table. But then he just talked to me as if I was his old friend. He was super nice and even took a picture.

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
This one is really stupid but it made me happy.

Anthony Green from Circa Survive "liked" a comment I made on Thrice's instagram defending them for putting out a shirt and giving all the proceeds to a transgender/gay youth non-profit group. The comments were a fucking minefield and it really, really bothered me.

Circa Survive is my other favorite band next to Thrice so it blew my fucking mind that he saw my comment and gave it boost.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Vitali Klitschko, the boxer. Came to our school when I was a kid. He was very cool.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty much every celeb I've ever met has been pretty down to earth & cool. To be honest, the only famous person I've ever met who was kind of a dick was Dave Batista. But for all know, he was playing up being an asshole since he was one on WWE TV at the time.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Bill Cobbs

I was a manager at a Blockbuster in Upland, Ca. I wouldn't say he was a regular, but he came in from time to time. Very quiet and nice man. I would walk the store with him and his wife. He walked with a cane and was very slow paced, so I would carry his movies and treats.He spoke about some of his roles, if asked, but you could tell he wasn't there to socialize.

I don't have a bad thing to say about the guy.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Meanwhile here in the UK, Sandy Toksvig is an absolute treasure. I worked at a thing once and she brought a big box of biscuits to share.

Oct 27, 2017
All celebrities I've met have been genuinely nice people.

But the ones I want to mention are:

Neil Gaiman - Met him twice, and he's genuinely super nice, seemed like he loved meeting his fans, talking to us and signing stuff. Even drew a quick sketch of Death for me in my copy of Absolute Death.

Don Rosa - He's insanely popular here in Scandinavia, but largely unknown in his native US, and he was an absolute pleasure to meet. Signed our Scrooge comics and books, insisted on shaking hands and thanking us fans for coming, and just being a genuinely nice guy.

Deathstars - Met them after a show, because one of the crew was gonna get them to sign CDs for me. Ended up with me being let backstage, had my stuff signed, and the band willingly posed for pics of me with the band. Real nice chaps.

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently Chris Farley was one of the nicest celebrities and treated his fans amazingly. I've heard countless stories of fans meeting him on the street and talking with them for awhile or getting food together. I think DAvid spade had mentioned something about this as well.

I met Jim Breuer after one of his comedy shows a couple of years ago and he was really nice guy too.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Met a few wrestlers. Kenny Omega (my avatar) is super nice, he signed my copy of Fire Pro, and we chatted about Kirby (his favorite Nintendo character) being the main character in World of Light in Smash. Also met the Young Bucks, Hangman Page, Marty Scurll, and most recently Cody and Brandi Rhodes. All were incredibly nice and super approachable.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Neil Gaiman - Met him twice, and he's genuinely super nice, seemed like he loved meeting his fans, talking to us and signing stuff. Even drew a quick sketch of Death for me in my copy of Absolute Death.

I used to hang out in an online chat room with Gaiman for several months before we went our separate ways, and I can confirm he's a wonderful person to talk to.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Jim Adkins from Jimmy Eat World was one of the most down to earth celebrities I've ever met. Had a drink and a cigar with him, and talked about D&D.

Can confirm this. I don't have a super interesting story or anything, but I've met him and the guys a few times and they've always been super nice and cordial. Just regular guys who made it.