• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you killed a dog?

• Yes

Votes: 1,272 93.6%
  • No

Votes: 87 6.4%

• Total voters

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Lmao at all the "fuck them dogs" posts. Quite the stark contrast to how it was when the news about it first came out but funny nonetheless.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Only one, but I died pretty quickly after that and when trying that encounter again I didn't kill them.

I've been pretty good at avoiding dogs so far

c043y

Oct 25, 2017
of course I did, they attacked me! What else was I supposed to do? Should I have not killed the WLFs and SCARs too?

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Unlike the first game in which I crossed some areas stealthily without killing anyone, in this game I don't mind leaving a trail of blood. I kill everything that gets in my way, dogs included. I think the game does a good job of instilling in the player a sense of blind revenge.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
I'm usually pretty desensitized to killing dogs, wolves & any kind of animal in games due to playing so much RE, Far Cry, AC & other games with animals as enemies, but not gonna lie I had to stop playing for a while after I killed one dog that looked super close to my German Shep & started crying & needed to give him a big hug :(

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
I tried not to. But the first time I left one alive that fucker found me and killed me without hesitation. So yes, all of them, zero regrets.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
They're one of the first enemies I'll target in a section if I can. I love dogs, but within the context of this game, they can fuck your life up; kill or be killed.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Man, many, many times. I primarily stab them because once the dogs come out I suck at the stealth.

Kinda feels bad. But no regrets.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, got pinned and surrounded during one of the encounters and then they set their dogs to flush me out. Had to kill 2 of them.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll put it this way so you can understand: Lots of the social issues that plague gaming and this forum actively fights agaisnt can be hadwaved just by stating "It's just a game", like some people (including yourself) are actually doing

But animal cruelty is a reality, and a huge issue that needs social exposure, but eh, who cares, they're just animals, right?
I'll put it this way so you can understand, most games have humans as enemies. Many times you are some sort of enforcer killing for some sort of organization.

But systematic murder by organized powers is real, and is actually getting exposure on some level now. Not sure if you know this but protests against systematic murders have been breaking out all over the world right now. But you still kill human enemies, in games but eh who cares, they are just people right?

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Why are people having issues killing dogs, but have no problems killing hordes of human enemies brutally in the game? I am genuinely curious because I feel that some people value the lives of animals over other humans which is disturbing to me.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I left a couple alive, mostly because I try not to be trigger happy and go stealth most of the time, killing can cause a lot of trouble.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Why are people having issues killing dogs, but have no problems killing hordes of human enemies brutally in the game? I am genuinely curious because I feel that some people value the lives of animals over other humans which is disturbing to me.
Because to a lot of people especially from european cultures dogs are second only to humans in terms of how much respect they deserve as living beings. See stereotype of chinese people eating dogs and the absolute outrage it causes.

They are seen as innocent, compared to humans who would be deserving of being shot down for one reason or the other. Dogs in that sense occupy the same space as young children. Hence all the dog mom/dad stuff.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
Only two so far, and ones that attacked me directly. I thought I would get a "shake off" reaction and it ended up being a strike, killing them. However, in avoiding most of them, I have sacrificed my exploration in those areas and hope I haven't missed too many supplies/collectibles. :(

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I killed every single enemy I encountered so far.

And to be honest the whole "every enemy has a name and will behave realistically when you kill their friend" thing hasn't impressed me. So far there's nothing much different than other games, but I'm only halfway through.

Maybe because I'm playing stealthily and most enemies don't notice me until it's too late.

Still loving the game.

Oct 27, 2017
I killed every single enemy I encountered so far.

And to be honest the whole "every enemy has a name and will behave realistically when you kill their friend" thing hasn't impressed me. So far there's nothing much different than other games, but I'm only halfway through.

Maybe because I'm playing stealthily and most enemies don't notice me until it's too late.

Still loving the game.

It's a neat feature, but yeah, it doesn't alter the game in any dramatic way and it never goes above what you've already seen.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before playing the game I thought I might feel bad about icing the dogs.

But now that I'm 10-12 hours in, I have no compunction about sinking a machete into them. The dogs are arguably the biggest threat to stealth in the game, since they can both see and track you.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Every last one.

Dont get the big deal tbh. I love dogs, but its just a video game. People who get too invested into it are weird.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I did not go out of my way to do so, but when attacked, yes. Also killed a shit ton of humans.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
i'm not good at stealth and i always seem to alert enemies at some point in every stealth game i play.

so yeah, i kill the dogs. i have no choice.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
It is extremely difficult NOT to kill dogs in this game. I've spared people and zombies of all sorts, but never a dog. Because they search. They find. They chase. In retrospect, the ND statement that you can get through the game without killing a dog is some real bullshit. Yeah, you can avoid killing dogs... if you mainline every stealth section and literally do not explore at all.

There's also the one that they make you kill.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
I love dogs. Have 2 of those adorable creatures.

I don't have any problem hurting video game dogs in tlou2. I don't want to stress myself on such irrelevant things like this lol.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I had delusions before playing I would not kill a single one.
Then I actually played the game and realized they are the first that have to go.
Honestly since I can hold down R1 and sense people in white outlines walking around, it is still clearly very much a video game to me.
So yeah, it is a video game, no matter how realistic some things may be, it is still a video game, so no problem at all.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Yeah the dogs really change my play style so I immediately try and take them out first. I usually plant a mine to take them out. I have yet to get my throat chomped on from one though.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Some have survived when I've managed to distract or get away, when they get on to you they are leathal and quite terrifying.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
Love blowing 'em up with proximity bombs. They are nothing if not predictable, following that scent path, so you know right where they'll be.

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
Much ado was made about the dog enemies in The Last of Us Pt.2 and how it was possible to complete a play through without killing them. So have you killed a dog? Is anyone doing a no doggo violence run?

Personally, I kill them. Ellie's death animations when she is mauled are super violent and unsettling to me and I'd rather get the dogs off the board early on to prevent it.

I'm at Day 2, so I haven't seen that many dogs thus far. Sadly I feel pretty much obliged to kill every dog; even before the human enemies! They always seem to pick up my scent, so if I want to explore and loot the area I'm in I have to kill the dogs. Simple as that. And each time I've killed a dog I got into a firefight with the remaining enemies, since the owner of the dog doesn't really leave their side. I find this unfortunate since I love animals and prefer the stealty approach, but it is what it is I suppose.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
plenty, usually I molotov the dog and its handler since its such a pain to deal with them separate.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit impressed. I probably suck though, but I tried like 10 times without killing them and just gave up - and killed them.

I always have a brick or bottle with me, and when they get close, I throw them on the opposite direction. They are startled by the noise and forget the sense

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I try not do but if I have no way to distract them, then there's no other choice.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
They're the most annoying thing in the game, so hell yes I do. I wish there was command to allow me to bathe in their blood lol. Which is weird since I love dogs.