• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you killed a dog?

• Yes

Votes: 1,272 93.6%
  • No

Votes: 87 6.4%

• Total voters

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Bye bye dog.
They're not even cute.
They're the breed that arseholes get to make them look threatening.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck them dogs. I kill them all. Just like I kill all humans standing in my way.

kris_ffc

Jun 3, 2020
Every single one. Usually with an arrow. The first time I encountered them I panicked and tried thumping it with a metal pipe which was deeply unpleasant, so I decided after that I'd just take them out quickly and quietly.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Um, yes.
You're forced to. And then the game has you play as the dog so that it can go "You killed a dog, you should feel bad!".

I flat out laughed at that scene.

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I killed one in stealth and another as it was attacking me.

I escaped most encounters without killing everyone in the scene.

With dogs I found that if I killed their handler the dog would be kinda' aimless.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I find it weird dogs in particular are seen as a new "disturbing" enemy to kill now that we've been desensitized to, you know, killing humans.

Anything coming to the player to attack them, don't see why you wouldn't, unless you want a stealth/no kill playthrough (which I'm not sure is actually possible, I'm sure there's some exceptions anyway)

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to not hurt the doggos but after the dogs just fucking maul you anyway, so I lost my sympathy for them tbh.

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to find as much stuff as possible so i kill everything in an area.

The dogs are dangerous af if you let them near you.

Usually i kill the handler with an arrow and then the confused dog.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
Yup, all the dogs I came across, the owners too. Quite fun to use the explosives and then lure the dog with your scent.

Jun 2, 2019
I find it weird dogs in particular are seen as a new "disturbing" enemy to kill now that we've been desensitized to, you know, killing humans.

Anything coming to the player to attack them, don't see why you wouldn't, unless you want a stealth/no kill playthrough (which I'm not sure is actually possible, I'm sure there's some exceptions anyway)

I honestly find disturbing the continuous usage of animals as common enemies and "things" to torture and kill in games.

It's something i particularly like from games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Breath of the Wild, where animals are just there minding their own business and, at most, you can choose to kill them for food and resources

I have issues with developers that use animals as mobs to kill.

Yes. Its just a videogame.

Yeah, no. Fuck that noise.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Yes, I'm not a conservative so I don't put dogs on some kind of weird pedestal over other animals or actual fucking humans.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, i don't care for digital dogs, cats, rabbits, humans, aliens...kill 'em all

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I get it, they try to make us feel bad for killing but it's not too hard to see it as just a game.

Would I do it in real life, heck no.If one is attacking me, maybe but not if I have a way to only disengage.

It was interesting to see the AI reactions they have made so that was actually kinda amusing and I kinda laugh at how they really(developer) want to do make you feel something.

I would pet and play with the dog too if given the chance, cause its actually fun.

I know I killed that dog I was playing with and I just view it as the developer really trying to make you feel it. It sucks in a way they make you do that but it's a game in the end

I did avoid killing in one section of the game. Just cause I want to and I am glad I was able to.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I find it heartwarming that they always stay close to their owner.
Good for taking two assholes down at once when I´m having me a Molotov Dog-Barbecue.

(I thank the heavens that there are no attack-cats)
((Yakuza 2 notwithstanding))

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
It's not like you have much choice in the game. It's often kill or be killed.

And i'm much more a cat guy than a dog guy. So it's easier.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I've killed everything that can be killed, or at the least that want to kill me, so far. Haven't burned a dog yet like the State of Play gameplay as I save them for the big boy spore fuckers. I did have one stray dog left but the music kept at the combat intense level and I couldn't loot in peace so he got a ticket to doggy heaven. All for a scrap of cloth and 2 bullets smh

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
You're literally forced to kill Alice in a QTE, just before the perspective shift happens to let you see what a good dog she is, in a ham fisted way to guilt the player for killing the dog they had no choice but to kill.

Should have left her to continue playing fetch with her squeaky squid.

Oct 29, 2017
I am really amazed how many people can't grasp a story about actual perspective. Staggering, really.

I guess the only good thing ND could've done is either paint a perfect animal-friendly apocalypse or don't make you feel bad at all about killing things.

Do people here seriously think that the world is that black and white?

Oct 25, 2017
The very first one I encountered was led into a bomb, I beat the second with a upgraded 2x4, and I shot the last two.

It is what it is.