• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When did you start playing the Yakuza Series?

• Played the series before this generation

Votes: 368 36.0%
  • When they started coming out on PS4 (NA 2017)

Votes: 386 37.7%
  • When they started coming out on PC (2018)

Votes: 113 11.0%
  • When they started coming out on Xbox (2020)

Votes: 113 11.0%
  • Waiting for Yakuza: Like A Dragon to jump in

Votes: 43 4.2%

• Total voters

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I've been on board since the original dubbed Yakuza. Back when it was being pitched as GTA in Japan here. I've bought every single major release since except for the side stuff like Dead Souls.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I started with Kiwami on Game Pass. Actually, even though it was on GP, I had no real plans to play any of the Yakuza games up until someone here described it as being like Streets of Rage. For some reason, I had always thought that it was basically Japanese GTA, which didn't interest me for whatever reason.

Actually, I'm still working on Kiwami, but I bought 0 and I feel like Kiwami 2 may stick around on GP long enough for me to at least get through Kiwami.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I played 3 back on PS3. It was highly regarded on a forum I used to go to and was readily available for 10€ used.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as this is a recent thread, I'll ask here: are the substories in Kiwami 1 worth doing (beyond the obvious XP/items)? I'm about five or six hours in at the moment, at the start of chapter five, and the handful I've done have been very lightweight and not particularly interesting.

My only other experience with the series is 0 back in March and 3 back when it came out on PS3, and both had some really fun substories. I never played the original Yakuza 1 (despite owning it), so does it just have the same ones it did back then? Or did they add more to the remake that are more in line with later games, and I just haven't seen them yet?
Side stories in 1 were mainly scam based. Kiwami adds a few side stories (and subtly changes a couple more) to add references to 0 - rule of thumb is that the newer side stories are the ones that aren't revolving around a scam, and are generally have better writing/jokes in them.

That said, there are some worth doing. First is Amon - who is only unlocked after doing all the other side stories. Do you want a nice extra secret boss that is pretty tough? If yes, you'll want to do all side stories, if no, feel free to skip.

But there are two original side stories which are a must for those that want more actual plot from Yakuza 1 - one of which features Yayoi Dojima (wife of Sohei) - its both a great side story AND important for the future, and one other that ties up a big plot (which I don't think has been revealed yet, so I won't spoil) and honestly really should have been part of the main plot, not shuffled off to a side story as it answers a big lingering question from the plot that otherwise goes unanswered. Basically do the side stories that get separate entries on the trophy list and ESPECIALLY the ones that appear as green dots on your map.
Oh, and make sure you do the Akimoto/Mizuki side story, just because those two clueless fools cracks me up.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Side stories in 1 were mainly scam based. Kiwami adds a few side stories (and subtly changes a couple more) to add references to 0 - rule of thumb is that the newer side stories are the ones that aren't revolving around a scam, and are generally have better writing/jokes in them.

That said, there are some worth doing. First is Amon - who is only unlocked after doing all the other side stories. Do you want a nice extra secret boss that is pretty tough? If yes, you'll want to do all side stories, if no, feel free to skip.

But there are two original side stories which are a must for those that want more actual plot from Yakuza 1 - one of which features Yayoi Dojima (wife of Sohei) - its both a great side story AND important for the future, and one other that ties up a big plot (which I don't think has been revealed yet, so I won't spoil) and honestly really should have been part of the main plot, not shuffled off to a side story as it answers a big lingering question from the plot that otherwise goes unanswered. Basically do the side stories that get separate entries on the trophy list and ESPECIALLY the ones that appear as green dots on your map.
Oh, and make sure you do the Akimoto/Mizuki side story, just because those two clueless fools cracks me up.

Excellent, thank you! I did notice that the few I've already done were about people trying to scam Kiryu. I probably won't do them all (I think I did about 50% in 0), but I'll keep an eye out for the ones you've mentioned.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Started with Zero when it came out on PC, after hearing a lot of good things about it. Played both Kiwami this year and I'm waiting for 3, 4, 5 and 6 now. Will probably get Like a Dragon.

I started with zero and to be honest everything after has felt like a step down. Zero was amazing

Yeah, technically Zero is the latest game so it makes sense. Like a Dragon may top it.

I see everyone recommending Zero as a starting point, and I started with it myself but I think Kiwami is a better start. Seeing all the Kiwami's characters backstory after knowing what will happen to them is more interesting IMO. Also, 0 is a much better game.
Kiwami 2 is better after Zero though.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I played the first one way back on PS2 I think when it came out. Loved it, but never played another after that. This is perfect news though as I had no idea the entire series was on PS4, so I'll enjoy them next month on my PS5 and finally catch up on the series.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I was enjoying 0 but it lost me with the character switch. Don't like the club dude nearly as much.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Nearly every newcomer to the series comes out of Yakuza 0 adoring Majima so this is kind of a new take.

Yeah, I'm not saying it to be controversial haha. It's just such a tonal shift that it caught me off guard and I was more into the dark grittiness of Kiryu's story. But talking about it is making me want to play it so I think I'll put it on tonight.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm not saying it to be controversial haha. It's just such a tonal shift that it caught me off guard and I was more into the dark grittiness of Kiryu's story. But talking about it is making me want to play it so I think I'll put it on tonight.

Yeah keep going, you'll get what you want. Majima's story is a lot more emotion driven and bleaker than Kiryu's.

Both characters' sidequests are wacky af but you know, that's Yakuza.

Nov 1, 2017
I watched one of my friends play a little bit of 1 or 2 back on the PS2 when it came out in North America and I wasn't impressed. Over the years I would hear about the series now and then but never looking into it or really giving it the time of day. With 0, I bought into the hype and a friend pestered me about it until he wore me down and I bought it. Did not like it. At all. The graphics were disappointing, it felt too on-rails, there was no English dub, etc. It sat in my PS4 library, unplayed for over a year. I wouldn't think about the series again until 0's PC release. It was like $16 on Fanatical so I ithought, why not, I'll try it again. Ultrawide support was what put me over the edge. Played for two or three hours total and again, the game wasn't doing much for me. But this time the ultrawide support was wonky and there were all kinds of performance issues.

8 or so months passed and I decided to give it one more shot. This time, something clicked and I just couldn't stop playing. It was the only thing I played for about a month and I devoured it. I'm sure I'd have every achievement at this point if not for mahjong. Quickly bought Kiwami 1 and midway through, purchased Kiwami 2. 1 was an obvious step back from a polish standpoint but the story was fairly good and for the first time I felt this connection to Kiryu. 2 is tied for my favorite in the series and the Dragon Engine is solid, despite its issues. 3 took a few months to get through due to the slow beginning and feel of the combat but the story was excellent. 4 wasn't bad but felt way too small, while the opposite was true for 5. 5 was just...way too much. I couldn't wait for it to be over, and the game really keeps beating you over the head with its theme. We get it. 6 had a strong story but probably the worst gameplay since 3.

Still haven't played much of Judgment. I want to get my $60 worth but know I'll be holding myself back by not waiting on the PC release.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I started playing the PS2 version via PCSX2 a little after Yakuza 5 got announced for a western release. Then played that to completion, started 2, Yakuza 0 came out, went back to that, played that, then 2, 3, 4, and finished 5 one week after 6 came out, then took my sweet time finishing 6.

I look forward to playing Yakuza 7 on day one.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
My brother in law's getting a next gen system this winter(he's leaning ps5). I think he'd love this series, what's the best trailer to sell him with?

May 15, 2019
I've been waiting for a way to play the original ps2 game with JP voices. Might have to settle with playing it in full Japanese.
The cutscenes at the very least are all uploaded on youtube subtitled, so you could play the dubbed PS2 version and then just watch the cutscenes on youtube any time you get to one. Would have to deal with EN voices in combat but you'd at least be able to understand all the unvoiced text (of which there is a lot in the earlier games)

https://youtu.be/UmIg5B7wrWQ Uploader has a playlist of all the chapters on his channel.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
The cutscenes at the very least are all uploaded on youtube subtitled, so you could play the dubbed PS2 version and then just watch the cutscenes on youtube any time you get to one. Would have to deal with EN voices in combat but you'd at least be able to understand all the unvoiced text (of which there is a lot in the earlier games)

https://youtu.be/UmIg5B7wrWQ Uploader has a playlist of all the chapters on his channel.
Oh, I've been considering checking what's available on youtube, and of course, this will do just nicely. Now I just need to set up some time to actually play the game :P. Many many thanks for your help.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally finishing my zero playthrough, having bought it at launch. The story is getting legitimately good, just
fought my way out of the Tojo compound

The gameplay is starting to kind of bum me out though. I'm getting pretty tired of beating down 20 yakuza, then cutscene, then repeat. Is the story good enough in the other ~7 games to sustain the same basic beatemup gameplay?

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
a bit later than many of the old and OG Yakuza fans but I got started with 4 when it came out on the PS3 and I have never looked back. iirc, I think I went out and got 1, 2 and 3 the day after I finished 4. one of my favorite franchises in gaming!

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm finally finishing my zero playthrough, having bought it at launch. The story is getting legitimately good, just
fought my way out of the Tojo compound

The gameplay is starting to kind of bum me out though. I'm getting pretty tired of beating down 20 yakuza, then cutscene, then repeat. Is the story good enough in the other ~7 games to sustain the same basic beatemup gameplay?
For me, yes it is.

although Yakuza LaD doesn't have the same action brawler gameplay.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Started with 0 on PC and am absolutely hooked. There is nothing like it. Currently playing Kiwami 2 after finishing Kiwami 1 last week. The remasters and 6 are waiting on my PS4 and I will play 7 on my XSX.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Kiwami and oh man, what a ride. Definitely didn't get into the side stories like 0, but feel like I had a great experience just plowing through the main story. Can't wait to get into 2, then I'll grab the collection when it's next on sale on PSN (or hopefully it gets a PC port).

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I bought Yakuza 0 on a sale couple of months ago for my PS4.
I played about 5-6 hours and it was alright but it didn't really grab me, especially with Ghost of Tsushima & Last of Us II out at the same time. I want to get back to it sometime but as I'm starting my semester in a few days it's probably gonna take a while.
I really hope it gets better because it starts pretty slow and I'm already not a big fan of the fights (especially the Shakedown dude jesus wtf)

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Despite owning the original Yakuza and Yakuza 2 on PS2, I only played some of 1, and never got around to playing 2. My first full experience with Yakuza was Yakuza 3 on PS3, but I didn't get particularly far in it. Mainly because I really wanted to replay the original 2, but then my BC PS3 disc drive broke, so I shelved it. Then, when I got my PS4, Yakuza Kiwami, which I loved, and beat.

Funnily enough, I just beat Yakuza 0 tonight! It was great too!

I still have Yakuza Kiwami 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 waiting for me, but I'm gonna play those on the PS5.

love the series, though, and glad I finally got around to them. I'm excited to play Kiwami 2 next month! Well, after I play all the PS5 launch titles I'm getting lol

Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA
Yakuza 3 on PS3.

I talked a lot of people into buying Yakuza 0 at launch, still such an incredible game even today.

It sucks that I have to wait until next year to play 7 on PS5. It is what it is though, can't fault SEGA for taking that sack of cash.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
I just want to say that I adore Kiwami and how it introduces the characters, especially Majima.
He's so fucking cool in Y1 and Y2 !!! All games, but especially the originals.

Oct 27, 2017
Loved yakuza 0, but they kinda go down hill each time...

As someone who has been playing Yakuza games since the first one, I have a hard time understanding this statement.

Technically only one "new" Yakuza game has come out since 0, that being part 6. The other post 0 releases have been either remakes or spin-offs.

Unless you mean there are diminishing returns on playing Yakuza games in general, then I guess I might at least understand your thinking, but they are such solid games all around that I've never found that it really matters. My favorites are actually Yakuza 3, which is seemingly a low point in the series for most, and Kenzan, which never ever was released in English.

Jun 20, 2018
Yep!

I remember being so eager to play the first Yakuza. I knew it was quite different from Shenmue but I could see the similarities in there too. However, by the time it was out, I'd already moved on from the PS2 to the 360. I kept hoping for a HD collection release which were everywhere in that gen, but it never showed up. Then I watched Japan get it for Wii U, but it failed to come over here.

So when I got a PS4 in December 2016, I picked up Kiwami immediately, although waited a month for the release of Yakuza 0 to play that first. I just got the Remastered Collection on PS4, and still need to pick up number 6.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
As someone who has been playing Yakuza games since the first one, I have a hard time understanding this statement.

Technically only one "new" Yakuza game has come out since 0, that being part 6. The other post 0 releases have been either remakes or spin-offs.

Unless you mean there are diminishing returns on playing Yakuza games in general, then I guess I might at least understand your thinking, but they are such solid games all around that I've never found that it really matters. My favorites are actually Yakuza 3, which is seemingly a low point in the series for most, and Kenzan, which never ever was released in English.
I mean that zero highlights just how average the first and second yakuza are.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Well, we got 7 back in January and that's a different beast entirely (yeah I know its not out here yet, but I love it so much I cant stop talking about it).

But yeah, I strongly disagree with people spouting that "only downhill" shit you see in these threads sometimes. Its like 0 can do no wrong while every other game just sucks by comparison, which I so strongly disagree with its unbelievable. Having played the series from the beginning, and replayed each several times I just see 0 as "another good Yakuza game" with its own issues (mainly Majima's personality, the JCC mini game) while I personally love 3, 5, Kenzan, the PSP games and 7 just as much, if not more than 0. Heck, the original version of 1 is probably one of my favourite games in the series despite some glaring issues these days with its story telling, but its just such a nice short and sweet replay that I must have replayed more than any others in the series. Just a pity that the definitive versions of 1&2 are stuck on the PS3 (well, and Wii U) with the remasters.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any major improvements playing any of the Yakuza games on a PS4 Pro as opposed to a regular PS4?
For sure. The remasters are pretty much exactly the same regardless, but the games made for the PS4 in the first place:

Ishin - no real difference that I noticed.
0 - screen tearing eliminated, one boss fight though still has tons of FPS drops, hoping the PS5 smooths that one over)
Kiwami - screen tearing eliminated, FPS seems pretty much a steady 60 throughout the entire game
6 - boy oh boy... res boost from 900p to 1080p is nice but it also gets rid of the constant screen tearing. 0 and Kiwami only had it in a couple of spots in the city, which was noticeable but really not that bad. But 6? its fucking everywhere on a base console. Better performance as well on the Pro
Judge Eyes, Kiwami 2, 7 - Res boosted from 900p to 1080p and probably a smoother FPS but that's about it. All the new engine games are only 30FPS on PS4/Pro though, keep that in mind. 7 looks so nice on the PS5/Series X/PC because of that smoother 60FPS frame rate.
Also worth noting that JE and 7 definitely have drops in the FPS at points - JE has two fights especially that decimate the FPS (again, hoping the PS5 fixes this) and 7 has a couple of tiny parts of one city which has the FPS dip briefly, but noticeably.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
I played 0 a few months ago. It was my first Yakuza. I can't believe I've been sleeping on this series. The story had so many cool twists and it's great to play a game in a compact world packed with things to do.

I'm planning to get the new one on release and also play the Kiwami games next year.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I played 4 on PS3 and then this gen played through 0, Kiwami and Kiwami 2 on PS4 - Amazing games, especially 0.
I have in my PS4 library 3,4,5,6 and Judgement and last week I started 3, as much as I love the games I struggled with how clunky it is compared to the remakes and have now quit after 4 chapters, I'm watching the story online and will probably do the same with Yakuza 4 as I know that Yakuza 5 is enormous and want to avoid burnout (I also have the likes of Dragon Quest 11 and Sekiro in my backlog).

Great games, that have a lot of humour and heart.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My first Yakuza was 3 on PS3. I since then finished Dead Souls, 4, 0, Kiwami and I'm currently playing Kiwami 2 and Judgment. Yakuza might become one of my favorite series of all time.

Will get 7 once it releases on PS5.