• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When did you start playing the Yakuza Series?

• Played the series before this generation

Votes: 368 36.0%
  • When they started coming out on PS4 (NA 2017)

Votes: 386 37.7%
  • When they started coming out on PC (2018)

Votes: 113 11.0%
  • When they started coming out on Xbox (2020)

Votes: 113 11.0%
  • Waiting for Yakuza: Like A Dragon to jump in

Votes: 43 4.2%

• Total voters

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yakuza 1 on PS2 in 2011. After being in amazement by how great this game is and disappointment in myself by not playing this series sooner, I immediately picked up and beat all of the other games and the rest was history.

bnx

Mar 18, 2018
4>5>3>1>2>0>Kenzan>Kiwami>Dead Souls>Ishin>6>Kiwami 2. Pretty much played them in that order.

I knew the series was for me after I played and completed Y5. The rest is history.

Redria

Oct 28, 2017
I've finished zero, kiwami and I got half way through Kiwami 2 on pc before out of no where the game just started freezing on the connecting part of the start up screen. So disappointing considering I was about half way through and nothing seems to fix it.

Really wish I had got into the Yakuza titles a bit earlier but I'm glad to be playing them now.

AustinJ

Jul 18, 2018
Started with Yakuza 0 on PS4 last year. Got hooked. Played Kiwami on PC earlier this year, now I'm playing Kiwami 2 on X1X. I bought 3-6 on PS4 to play also... though I might give myself a bit of a break before I dive in.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Been a huge fan of the series from the first time I've seen screenshots of it on gaming magazines back in 2005. I remember journalists saying it had a big budget and being uncertain if it would be localized. When it finally released, it was everything my 15-year-old self imagined. I lost count of how many times I've beaten both it and its sequel, and I admit I like them more than their Kiwami versions despite those being undeniably better. (I really wish there were an undub version with English text for the first game tho)

L4DANathan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fairfax, VA, USA
Started with Kiwami on PC, then went to 0 and Kiwami 2, now playing 3 on the PS4. I really love the dynamic between the serious main plot and the silly substories, as well as how dense the world is with various activities (except fuck gambling minigames that seem to ALL be rigged against the player to an insane degree).

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
Wtf the new one is turn based? What is the gameplay similar to?
I tried Y0 for a bit and liked the atmosphere but the fighting didn't really grow on me.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I jumped into the series with 1 & 2 on PS2 a few months before Yakuza 0 got localized (And back when Y2 was expensive as fuck...), buy Yakuza 0 is what really cemented my love of the series.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
It had been on my radar for years, but I started with kiwami on PS4 several years ago.
I'm currently working my way through 0.

fatefodder

Mar 14, 2019
I had previously played up to Yakuza 3 on the PlayStation 3, but then stopped (even though I owned Yakuza 4 and 5).

After Yakuza 0, however, I then went right back into the series in order with Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 4, 5, 6, and Judgment. I even attained platinum trophies for each and every entry. I'm hyped for Yakuza 7--probably going to be the last game I purchase this generation.

Oct 26, 2017
Played the original, horrible dub and all, and tried desperately to get people to like it, and everyone was "GTA clone but no cars lol?"

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Its also on PC, so you can just download and play it there. Its not all that great to be honest. Generic gacha game and as of August its received a bizarre graphical downgrade to remove any animation from the characters/enemies. But hey, its got a pretty non cannon fan service flashback plot going on at the moment - so if you want to play as Ryuuji and visit all the cities in the series so far, and meet up with everyone from Han Jungi, Ichiban, Kuze, Shinada etc. then its still worth a quick look.
I think I'll take a look. Thanks. Wasn't aware of the PC version.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
Can't jump into a pool if you've never left it. Hell I finally gave up and imported Yakuza 5....then they announced a western release.

I'm just so glad that it's found a larger audience and available on more platforms. I can't wait for Yakuza 7 and think it's incredible how it went from years of 'is this even going to get a western release' to it being a bigger deal. Awesome game, developers and great community.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I started with Yakuza 0 on PS4 like many here.

Think the western Y0 version was a case of "right place, right time".
Game was just perfect for content creators, gave Jim Sterling & co. great video clips.
The finishing moves in combat, the mini games and the over the top cutscenes were perfect for social media.

"Holy shit bro! You can literally do phone sex in that game and play Outrun!"
"LOL at that Karaoke! Breakinnnng the wooooooorld!"

Think that's what made a lot of folks curious and they soon figured out that Yakuza is a great videogame period.
Few years later it gets put on GPU and Xbox players get to try it for free.

Really happy it worked out like that. I wouldn't have got to know that series any other way.

Alexander89

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Played Yakuza 0 first, one of the best games this gen, enjoyed kiwami 1 and 2 a lot, too

Now Im waiting for 3 - 5 to hit gamepass or for Sega to remaster them.

Also loved Judgement, hopefully there is a sequel

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I played 0 when it came out on PC and liked it well enough

haven't felt the urge to play another one since then(partly because I hear Kiwami 1 and 2 are worse than 0)

edit: apparently there's a new one coming out pretty soon so maybe i'll try that one out,I do prefer turn based combat systems in general as well so that's a definite plus for me personally

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Nice! will pick it up then when the PS5 version is out. I also like turn-based more than beat em ups. Is Judgment any good for a newcomer?
Its almost completely separate to the main series, aside from the setting and inclusion of the Tojo Clan as antagonists so you can play that without missing any plot. Its not turn based though, its got a real time fighting system.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I played Yakuza 1 back in 2005-2006 on PS2. While everyone was crazy about GTA and what you can do in it, I personally thought Vice City (and to some extent San Andreas) was a bit too empty for it to feel like I was in a city (technical limitations ofc and I still loved them), so when I played Yakuza 1 for the first time on PS2 I was blown away. From the dense environment to the crazy story it had, I was hooked immediately.

Sadly I couldn't find a copy of Yakuza 2 here at the time, so it was back in PS3 era that I got back into the series with Y3, Y4 and Dead Souls (and eventually Y5 which I remember thinking that we'll never get it over here). I even played Kenzan and Ishin using an online guide. And this gen has been really good with the resurgence of the series in the west thanks to Y0.

I am curious about the future of the series post Y7 though. They kinda opened the Pandora's box with the style change in Y7. So now whatever style they choose for Y8, you are gonna see a lot of conflicting opinions on it (to say the least).

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
After seeing a friend completely loose her shit seeing a random arch in Tokyo I figured I might need to get into this series. It was on my radar because it kept showing up in underrated games lists as well though.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I played the demos of 3, 4 and Kenzan back in the day. I always wanted to get into the series, but there's just too many games now. The series is not really on my radar anymore. There's dozens of games from between 2010 and now that I wanna try that I just haven't played at all. I'm still somewhat interested in playing 0, 7 and Judgment, but none of them are a priority.
Just play Y0 as a one and done standalone game. You OWE me that!

Deleted member 40010

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 16, 2018
Finland
I saw some YouTube videos of Yakuza 0 and I thought that the game looked really weird in a good way. I bought the game when I saw it on sale and wasn't disappointed. I have played Kiwami 1 and Kiwami 2 after that and I'm getting close to the end of 3.

My favourite thing about this series is definitely the humour and the contrast between the melodramatic main stories and the totally ridiculous side stories. My least favourite thing is the combat, but that's because I'm not a fan of action/fighting/beat-em-up games in general. But it's just one part of the Yakuza games, I just drop the difficulty to easy and enjoy the ride.

I like JRPGs and turn-based combat though so I am really looking forward to playing Like a Dragon. I just have to finish 4-6 first.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I started on PS2 and was part of that sweet sweet vocal minority, hounding SEGA day and night until they gave us each new Yakuza title in English.

Ahhh, good times.

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
Yes, I started with Zero when it released for PC and I loved it.

Then I played Kiwami 1 and 2 when they also released for PC.
Since then I've been waiting for the Remastered Collection on PC but since it's taking forever, I bought the collection and Yakuza 6 on PSN.
I will resume my life in Kamurocho soon.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I tried playing Yakuza 0 and at some point kind of got side tracked, I wasn't loving it but it was kind of interesting

At this point though I'm kind of dissuaded by how many games there are, like I'll never keep up or have the desire to play that many Yakuza games. Maybe one day I'll finish Y0, but no way in hell I'll have the time or the will to play all of them.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I tried playing Yakuza 0 and at some point kind of got side tracked, I wasn't loving it but it was kind of interesting

At this point though I'm kind of dissuaded by how many games there are, like I'll never keep up or have the desire to play that many Yakuza games. Maybe one day I'll finish Y0, but no way in hell I'll have the time or the will to play all of them.

Like a Dragon is a soft reboot with an all-new combat system if that helps.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Judgment is a completely separate game with a stand alone story. You could just play that without worrying about the Yakuza series.

Bonus point: It has an amazing English dub.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing since the first game on PS2. If anything, I've sort of fallen out of the series. I still buy any Yakuza game without question, but the last one I actually completed was, I believe, the original Yakuza 3. I put quite a bit of time into Ishin when I first got a PS4 but never finished it, and I haven't put significant time into any of them since that time.
I love the games to death, but they've been releasing them at quite a clip.

Nov 15, 2017
I played about 5 hours of zero which i remember enjoying but that last hour was just side quests and I think that sorta put me off playing it since I've not touched it since. That was like a year ago.

I remember not having a clue where to find some sort of nightclub i was supposed to find. or something. I really did like the silly mafia/soap thing it had going on though.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I played a couple of hours of Yakuza 3 on PS3 and couldn't get into it, played the demo for...I think 5? It was a demo that jumped between characters a bunch and was just fights iirc, i liked it buy never got the game.

Then I got Yakuza 0.
Since then I've played 0, Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 6, Judgment and am working my way through both Fist of the North Star (it counts) and 3. I love the series now.

I'm probably going to pick up Yakuza 7 when it comes to PS5, I'm in no rush (I still have 3 to finish and 4 and 5 to play!) but i am looking forward to it.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza 0 is the typical suggestion, and for good reason- it's both an inviting starting point while also being the favorite of many. If you want to know if this series is for you, you'll probably have a pretty good idea after a few hours of 0.
Thanks I'll try it out.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I played 3 on the PS3 but then never played any of the others. Got around to 4 a couple years ago and played 5 this year. Will finally play the PS4 ones soon.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Played a fair chunk of 4 on PS3 and liked what I played. Dropped it when 5 was nowhere in sight.

Imported Ishin when I got a PS4.

Rejoiced at 5 arriving and bought that and 3. Played about half of 3. Imported Kenzan.

Bought 0 at launch but couldn't play much at the time. Then Kiwami came out and I completed that, then went back to 0 and finished that.

Tracked down a PS2 copy of 2 and finished that, then imported Kiwami 2 at launch. Have bought every other release in the West at launch since.

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
I just ordered my first game (Yakuza 0). I've known about the series since its beginning basically, but wasn't interested at first because I thought it was just "another gangster game". With the release of Yakuza 0 a friend of me started playing it and had only good things to tell. Another friend started playing it and was the same. I was still hesitant, but I saw some really funny scenes. Then the whole Baka Mitai deepfake craze started which I found hilarious (and I already knew some of the karaoke stuff beforehand). Then I became a fan of Vtuber Kiryu Coco who is a diehard fan of the Yakuza series. This is when I thought to myself, yeah, you gotta buy it now. Everything in this world is pushing you towards finally playing it. So yeah, I'm going to start it some time next week.

Oct 25, 2017
I just ordered my first game (Yakuza 0). I've known about the series since its beginning basically, but wasn't interested at first because I thought it was just "another gangster game". With the release of Yakuza 0 a friend of me started playing it and had only good things to tell. Another friend started playing it and was the same. I was still hesitant, but I saw some really funny scenes. Then the whole Baka Mitai deepfake craze started which I found hilarious (and I already knew some of the karaoke stuff beforehand). Then I became a fan of Vtuber Kiryu Coco who is a diehard fan of the Yakuza series. This is when I thought to myself, yeah, you gotta buy it now. Everything in this world is pushing you towards finally playing it. So yeah, I'm going to start it some time next week.
I hope you have fun! Yakuza 0 is a fantastic entrypoint into the series and is without a doubt one of my favorite games this gen!

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
I started with zero and to be honest everything after has felt like a step down. Zero was amazing

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
It's not something I'd really taken notice of before, probably because they weren't on Xbox. But I'm very intrigued by Like A Dragon, and I think that'll be my starting point in the series unless I find time for the ones on Game Pass between now and then.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Seeing as this is a recent thread, I'll ask here: are the substories in Kiwami 1 worth doing (beyond the obvious XP/items)? I'm about five or six hours in at the moment, at the start of chapter five, and the handful I've done have been very lightweight and not particularly interesting.

My only other experience with the series is 0 back in March and 3 back when it came out on PS3, and both had some really fun substories. I never played the original Yakuza 1 (despite owning it), so does it just have the same ones it did back then? Or did they add more to the remake that are more in line with later games, and I just haven't seen them yet?