• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When did you start playing the Yakuza Series?

• Played the series before this generation

Votes: 368 36.0%
  • When they started coming out on PS4 (NA 2017)

Votes: 386 37.7%
  • When they started coming out on PC (2018)

Votes: 113 11.0%
  • When they started coming out on Xbox (2020)

Votes: 113 11.0%
  • Waiting for Yakuza: Like A Dragon to jump in

Votes: 43 4.2%

• Total voters

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
I got in with 0 on steam when it released, loved it. I only played the first two though (0 and Kiwami 1) as Kiwami 2 wouldn't ran on my pc then but I'll get to it soon just as I play some other games I missed this gen.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I have , but they are long games and it's gonna take me forever haha.

Finished Kawami on xbox . I'm almost done with 0. Kiwami 2 I'm gonna play on pc.

I planned on finishing them all before LAD comes out but thats never gonna happen . I'll probably finish 0 then play lad and go back to kawami 2 after that .

Which I would have know about these games years ago

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My first Yakuza 0 was on ps4. I got it for $20 and did not expect much. Its is now one of my favorite franchises ever. I will never forget the first Majima cutscene. And later playing the Kiwami duology, Kamurocho turned into one of the best game settings in all videogames. It feels so alive and unique.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't jumped in yet... the Achievement/Trophy lists look bonkers. Have been considering trying one of the Game Pass Yakuza offerings, just not sure which one...

I mean Yakuza 0 makes sense right, but isn't it a prequel? Wouldn't it be better to go Kiwami instead? Or are there Quality of Life improvements in Yakuza 0?

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I played Yakuza 0 for the first time this year and loved it, although I won't go for the platinum because a quick look at the trophy list make me think I will sour on it if I do.

Kiwami 1 is next on the list, should get to it later this year or early next year.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
That's like, fifteen minutes in at most? Bit of a rush to decry the pacing...
My concern is what that means for the rest of the game. The combat didn't seem to be anything too special, and I know those games are heavy on the story and dialog. I know I won't stick with it, even if I push through those early segments.

EDIT: Ironically, I love the original Shenmue, despite how boring it was, and I did spend that fifteen minutes thinking, "Man, I'd love to play the original Shenmue with these graphics." XD

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
played 0 thanks to gamepass about a month and change ago. absolutely loved it. i'll probably do kiwami 1 early next year depending on what i have on my plate.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I jumped in with Yakuza 0, in late 2017. It was a depressing time in my life, when I'd lost most of my care and enthusiasm for the hobby. Yakuza 0 reignited my love for gaming, and I've played all of the mainline titles + Judgment since then. Eagerly anticipating the release of Like A Dragon.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I left my first file early on in Yakuza 0 not because of lack of interest but because I had other games to play at the time. I'm playing it on PC and so far love it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I feel confident saying Yakuza 0 will be these series peak. It's just so much better than the games that came after it.
Well Kenzan came before it and I'd still put that over 0 so... (I'd also put 7 over 0, maybe Ishin depending no the day of the week).

I also vastly preferred the combat and gameplay in 5 compared to 0 (especially when it came to 100%ing both games) but 0 has 5 beat plot wise.

vix

Nov 18, 2017
I watched a Y6 video on the Playstation Access channel and immediately went and bought 0, K1, K2, and 6 and then played for 3,4 and 5 to be released. I'm currently in the middle of 5.

Oct 31, 2017
I started playing this series when the first game was released back on PS2. I don't even remember the English VA...

Currently playing Y0 via GP, great game!

Got Kiwami 2 on a sale, had never played them before. It was amazing and is now my #2 game of the generation. Immediately picked up 0 after beating it.

Why did you start with K2?

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Started with Yakuza 4 in 2011 and next one was Yakuza 0. I'm very happy the franchise demands attention now, to think once it was seen as a waste to make a western port. Thank you BuildingTheList.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
I started with the original Yakuza on PS2. Bought Y2 but never got around to playing it. Played Y4 on PS3. Playing Y0 now on PS4.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I played Judgment and Yakuza Kiwami last year. (I've also watched the super best friends LPs of 0 and 4)

I want to play the rest of the series but I've been going through my backlog of other stuff this year. I hope to finally start Kiwami 2 in November

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I played the demos of 3, 4 and Kenzan back in the day. I always wanted to get into the series, but there's just too many games now. The series is not really on my radar anymore. There's dozens of games from between 2010 and now that I wanna try that I just haven't played at all. I'm still somewhat interested in playing 0, 7 and Judgment, but none of them are a priority.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to play the Yakuza mobile game in the West?
Its also on PC, so you can just download and play it there. Its not all that great to be honest. Generic gacha game and as of August its received a bizarre graphical downgrade to remove any animation from the characters/enemies. But hey, its got a pretty non cannon fan service flashback plot going on at the moment - so if you want to play as Ryuuji and visit all the cities in the series so far, and meet up with everyone from Han Jungi, Ichiban, Kuze, Shinada etc. then its still worth a quick look.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
One of my favorite series in gaming. Started with Yakuza 1 back in 2008 and haven't stopped following since. I even imported Yakuza 5 and Ishin :). That said, everyone should play 0, it's amazing. Best game in the series, IMO.
That said, I do recommend at least playing through 1, 2 and 6 afterwards. Personally I love 3rd game and not a huge fan of 5. 4 is in the middle there.

Oct 27, 2017
Started with Yakuza 3 and been a fan every since. I am going to skip 7 and see if another brawler Yakuza will come. If not then it has been a good run.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Played Y0 for maybe 15 hours and the gameplay just felt outdated. I don't know, the movement is like... stiff? I don't know how to describe it. And it wasn't much variety in mission design. Have no intention of playin other titles from the series.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I played Yakuza 3 back on the PS3 (I owned the first game on PS2 but never got around to it, so just watched the recaps on 1 and 2), then bought 4 and 5 and... never touched them. Not sure why, as I adored Yakuza 3.

That was the only one I played until they came to Xbox One, and so far I've played through 0 and am a few hours into Kiwami 1. I have Game Pass, but wanted to show a bit extra support to say thanks for bringing the series over to my preferred platform, so I bought 0, K1 and K2 on their release days, and I have the Day Ichi edition of 7 pre-ordered; I'm looking forward to seeing Yokohama, and seeing how much of it I recognise.

I really hope 3-6 come to Xbox and PC soon!

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Played Y0 for maybe 15 hours and the gameplay just felt outdated. I don't know, the movement is like... stiff? I don't know how to describe it. And it wasn't much variety in mission design. Have no intention of playin other titles from the series.
Yakuza 0 is actually outdated as it's originally a PS3 title. Though I imagine the modern ones would probably still be too repetitive for you if you disliked Y0

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I got in when Yakuza 4 was put up on PS Plus so they get the credit. Thanks goodness, since I really enjoyed it as well as 5 and 0 later.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I have a lot of free time due to being diagnosed with COVID and thought about starting Yakuza now. I ordered Zero but I have Kiwami still shrink wrapped from 2 black fridays ago. Should I start that or wait for 0 to get here?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of free time due to being diagnosed with COVID and thought about starting Yakuza now. I ordered Zero but I have Kiwami still shrink wrapped from 2 black fridays ago. Should I start that or wait for 0 to get here?

Start with 0. Kiwami 1 and 2 assume you've played 0.

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
worth noting, i havent played 5 (or 6 because i want to play 5 first) because i could never free up enough space on my ps3 to download. annoying the series didnt get popular sooner so it could have gotten a physical release back then. good news is that it did in the form of the collection this year, so that is probably how i will play it.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I played 2 on PS2 and adored it, but haven't kept up with the series because waiting for the games became a pain and now that they're easily accessible I don't have the time to commit to play them all. I'm planning on jumping back in with Yakuza 7 since it's a new cast, and I might eventually play Zero with my girlfriend. I also played Judgement (though I didn't complete it), if that counts as jumping back in.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I played 0 like 2 years ago and binged through 0, K1 and 2 and once the remasters were out through the rest and Judgment. I love this series, glad I jumped into it.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
My first Yakuza was 0. I loved most of it, but I didn't really like the combat and I couldn't finish it because I just wasn't having that much fun.

I'm very excited about Like A Dragon though, the new combat system looks more like something I'd enjoy.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, this was 100% the exact scene that made me like:

4hnczs.jpg

Glad I did. Such a great series.
It's just the deadpan seriousness of it all that pulled me in. It's ridiculous, but if you had to provide a single example of the humour of the game, that's it.

Kind of a shame I'm not finding it while playing through Kiwami, but they can't all be bangers.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
No but I may start with the new game since it has a dub right? I tried to get into Yakuza 0 but I hate having to read subs.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I tried but it's so long and the combat feels off.

Enjoyed watching the GBE crew play it though.

akira1984

Nov 1, 2017
TX
I've played 0, Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 6, and Judgment and love them. I'm starting the remastered collection with 3 but finding it hard to keep going. Cant wait to see 7.