• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When did you start playing the Yakuza Series?

• Played the series before this generation

Votes: 368 36.0%
  • When they started coming out on PS4 (NA 2017)

Votes: 386 37.7%
  • When they started coming out on PC (2018)

Votes: 113 11.0%
  • When they started coming out on Xbox (2020)

Votes: 113 11.0%
  • Waiting for Yakuza: Like A Dragon to jump in

Votes: 43 4.2%

• Total voters

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
*This thread is specifically about the series growth in the west

It's no secret that Yakuza has grown a lot as a series, both in reception and sales here in the west. The franchise has went from a cult classic, with fans banding together for localizations to a series with a good amount of weight behind it. There's numerous reasons for this but I think most can be chalked up to easier access to the games across multiple platforms, being something fresh & unique compared to other games out there, and of course the over the top moments and other aspects that have made their way into internet culture.

So with that said, i'm curious to see when posters here jumped onto the series (or if they haven't). I expect most likely started with the PS4 (such as myself) as being able to start at 0 and go with the series in order has been a nice pace for the series. Aside from that, what are some things you like about the series?

------
maxresdefault.jpg

Since a lot of newcomers to the series are posting in this thread, thought I'd add more to the OP on where/how to start.

PS4 - The entire series is on this platform (0-6 with Like a Dragon soon).They constantly go on sale and even if they're not are all $20 or under.
Xbox/PC - 0-2 are on gamepass (No word on 3-6 yet) with Like a Dragon coming to both soon.

If you want to start with the series, 0 on any platform is a great starting point. As for many it's one of the best in the series and will give you the general-jist if the series is for you.

*If for whatever reason you like Yakuza but don't like the Combat of Y0-6, then Like A Dragon and its turn-based gameplay might be more up your alley. The game is aimed as being a new starting point in the series as well, with minimal call backs more geared as fan service than things new players need to know.

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yakuza 4 on the PS3, picked it up when it dropped here in 2011, played a bit and stopped. Wasn't feeling it. Three years later, played Yakuza 3 on PS3, completed it and had a great time. Decided to go through the first two games on PS2 and had a great time there too. I became a fan of the series at that point and went through Y4 which is now my favourite.

I will say, watching the series really regain its footing in the West after 5 took three years to come over is pretty cool. Though it kind of is weird seeing it associated so closely with Xbox over here with Game Pass and 7 being a timed exclusive for the Series when the franchise's roots are really ingrained in PlayStation as a whole.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Always wanted to, but didn't get started until Yakuza 0 came out. And even then, it's taken until now to fully get into it and appreciate it. Now that I am, I wish I'd started long before now. But hey, better later than never!

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Been there since day one on PS2. Really happy the series has broken out into the semi-mainstream and found success.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, PS4 really strapped a rocket to the IP.

I had played the PS2 original and wanted to love it. I love Japanese procedural dramas, but maybe it was the voice acting or the loading screens, it just felt off to me

Then I played Zero in January 2017 after folks went crazy for it. Now I have beaten Zero, Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 3, 4, 5 and Judgment. Have 6 ready to go soon.

it's one of my favorite series. Like Metal Gear with batshit insane twists and turns, over the top and always fun.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yakuza 0 was my first Yakuza.

I remember looking for it on PS2, but could never find and just forgot.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Never payed attention to the games at all until Y0, and now its one of my favorite series of all time.

Like a Dragon looks like a game that was personally made with my interests in mind, I'm so fucking hyped to play it.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Knew of the series since 3, started with 4.

Yakuza 5's localization announcement all the way back in 2014 however was the spark that ignited the fire for me and make me go back to play all of the previous and future entries.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jumped in with Yakuza 0 like most of y'all. Can't remember why though.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I played Yakuza 1 on PS2, but then didn't play another until Yakuza 0. So knew of the series and even had 4 and 5 on PS3, but wasn't until Yakuza 0 that I decided to give it another shot. Played all them (well mainline entries) now.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I got into them with the PC releases and am patiently waiting for the rest.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Bought everything including Judgement and Lost Paradise (despite knowing nothing about Fist of the North Star) because sales. I still haven't actually played anything yet.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Technically, yes.

I played a bit of Yakuza 3 on PS3 but I just wasn't feeling it, only like 1-2 hours (I know, I know). I had watched both catch up videos of 1 and 2 that came with the game, but I wasn't obviously still connected with the characters.

It was always a series that was in my deep to-do list, but it wasn't until Yakuza 0 came out on PC that I gave it a clear shot in order to support more Japanese ports to PC.

Ended up LOVING it. Beat Kiwami and Kiwami 2 as they came out. Now just waiting for 3-5 and 6 on PC, if they don't happen by the time I get a PS5 I'm just getting them there.

Obvious praise of story, characters, translation (Seriously, the translation team does NOT get enough praise), and content aside, I can't remember the last video game that did mood juxtaposition so well. And I've played a lot of damn games.

How many games can say that they can make someone cry from laughter, and then from sadness in the same damn scene?

While I hate timed exclusivity BS, on the other hand, I'm really game the series is getting mainstream support now, especially from Microsoft. I'd be super cool if Like A Dragon ends up selling gangbusters and the series becomes mainstream next-gen.

Though, how weird would it be if people saw Ichiban as the face of the series instead of Kiryu?

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I started playing on PS3, around when Yakuza 5 came out. I watched the first three games on YouTube, bought and played through 4 then finally went on to 5. One of the best gaming decisions I've ever made.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Played a bit of the games before hand on PS3, but didn't get into the series proper until the release of Yakuza 0 on Xbox One. I'm loving the series & will get all the games as they come to Xbox.

CosmicElement

Oct 27, 2017
I played the OG Yakuza 1 NA version.

Came back when Yakuza 0 went on sale and Yakuza Kiwami was on PS+.
I'm so glad I played Yakuza 0 but I feel like that might be the peak of the series already haha.
Now onto Yakuza Kiwami 2.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
It's not an option but not yet. Haven't played anything in the series yet. I think I even have a game or two through the free PS+ giveaways.

Maybe I'll start soon but I'm too entrenched in other games for now

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Not yet but I plan to.

I got Yakuza 0 on PS4 and PC

Yakuza 1 Kiwami on PS4 and PC

Yakuza 2 Kiwami on PC

Yakuza 6 on PS4

Gonna get Yakuza 3,4 and 5 later but I do plan to play Yakuza 0 soon on PS4.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Yakuza 0 was the first one I played, largely due to gamepass. Great game. Haven't played any more since though - interested a bit in the new one

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Started with Zero from positive word of mouth on PS4. Played Kiwami 1 and 2 after that. Was so enthralled from Zero I'm not half way through 5 with only 6 left to go before 7 comes out.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Started with Yakuza 1 (PS2) in late 2015. Adored the game and ordered a bunch of the sequels. Went through the series in order and it quickly became one of my favorite gaming franchises.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Played Kiwami 1+2 to 6 in the span of about 2-3months. I was hooked. Going to play Zero soon. I started it but only got about 15-20 min in.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
Jumped in when it came to Xbox and now I'm addicted. Yakuza has been on my radar for a few years though. It coming to Xbox is what gave me the chance to actually try it.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Knew about the series for years, but finally played it when Yakuza 0 came to PC. It's the only one I've played, but damn, that was a good ass game. Will probably just jump to Y7 when it comes out.

Oct 28, 2017
Picked up Yakuza 0 on PC on release. Really high recommendations from my brother + resetera.

Absolutely amazing game. Ended up putting 100 hours into it over the course of about a year.
Yakuza 1 is a bit jarring storywise to get into but went pretty well. Took me a winter.
Yakuza 2 is still a work in progress. I'm chipping away at it. I'm a little lost story wise which is frustrating because there's call backs to Yakuza 0 I'm completely missing. I'm enjoying it though.

3-6 + 7 will have to wait until it's on gamepass/pc. While I love these games and they're a bit of comfort food spacing them out has been great. It's the type of game you can get burnt out pretty quick.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I started with Yakuza 3 on the PS3, but it was thanks to the PS4 that I finally got a chance to go back and play 1 and 2.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Played it back on the PS2. Still have the original Yakuza game. It was the beginning of a magical journey.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Started with Yakuza 0 which I bought from someone on here a while ago (apparently saying Yakuza in a Paypal message caused a delay too lmao). I didn't get too into it, and then got a free key for it on Steam and got a bit further... I like it a lot but really just need to sit down and play... eventually because I'd really like to play through the entire thing and Like a Dragon looks incredible.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Liked the first game on PS2. Never cared about it since then because of no dub. Unless they drop a few dollars on cheap voice acting, it will be a series I'll continue to skip.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
For anyone who hasn't already, btw, go play Judgement

It's the second best in the series, behind only Y0

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
I had casually played an hour or so of the PS2/PS3 titles, but really fell in love with Yakuza Zero.

Have since played 0-7 + Judgment + Isshin many times over and now have most platinums. One of the best series ever made.

Which yakuza should I start out with? Never played it before. I'm on Xbox and have gamepass.

Yakuza Zero or Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

Yakuza Zero is the first entry in the series chronology and arguably the best one. It's a bit dated with the advent of next gen, but still fantastic.

Like a Dragon (aka Yakuza 7) is a soft reboot with a proper voice dub, but features an RPG-style battle system completely dissimilar to the 7 games that game before it (but still super fun).

Don't play Kiwami first.

Last edited:

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I bought some of the games and I've tried to play Kiwami like twice now. Something about it just hasn't managed to click with me. I'm sure I'll try it again at some point.

AwwBubbles

Oct 27, 2017
Got hooked on Yakuza 0 and played every game since on the PS4 but not sure if i'm going to play Like A Dragon on PS4 or wait for the PS5 version.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Jumped in on 0's PS4 release after all the buzz. Since then played 0, both kiwamis, 6, and judgement.

Have Like a Dragon pre-ordered on PC, can't wait.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Liked the first game on PS2. Never cared about it since then because of no dub. Unless they drop a few dollars on cheap voice acting, it will be a series I'll continue to skip.

Both Judgment and Yakuza 7 have dubs (and not cheap ones either- the quality is legit), and both should be able to be played comfortably without having played the others I believe

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 was my first experience with the franchise. I frankly fell in love with it immediately from Yakuza 0 onward. Just an absolutely incredible franchise. Looking forward to Like a Dragon here soon!

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Working my way through Yakuza 0 over the last few weeks. Still a few chapters to go, then on to the rest of the games

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Started out with Yakuza 3 on PS3. Then followed with the amazing Yakuza 4 and it permanently sold me on the franchise, they're all great.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Got Yakuza 0 during Black Friday 2017 after hearing so much good stuff & within the span of 2018, got Kiwami, played 5 since I had it on PS+, then would get 6, Kiwami 2, & Fist of the North Star, then 2019 was Judgment & then HD Collection to play 3 & 4 to finally have player every game localized aside from Dead Souls.

Nuts to think I played like 5 Yakuza games in the span of the year, 6 if you count FotNS.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I jumped in with 0 on PS4 and have played all up to 6 now. I think I'll be getting Like A Dragon when it comes to PS5 in March

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yakuza 3 on PS3 was the first time I tried the series. I only played it for about 15 hours and never finished it. I didn't buy any other games in the series until Yakuza 0.

Deleted member 1105

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 0 was my first title in the series and I absolutely loved it. I ended up playing almost 80 hours and doing almost every sub story. There was just something so magical about that game that grabbed me, I'd play for a couple hours after work every night.

I still haven't gotten around to playing Kiwami 1 or 2, but I definitely want to. Like a Dragon is also something I've got my eye on.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
4 was my first when it came to PS Plus, but I lost interest with all the character switching, and not really appreciating the story since I was starting in the middle.

Yakuza 0 is the first I played start to finish, and since it acts as a baseline to the story, I actually understood what was going on and appreciated it much more. So I kind of look at it as my first.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
Got Kiwami 2 on a sale, had never played them before. It was amazing and is now my #2 game of the generation. Immediately picked up 0 after beating it.