• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Every Pet is uniquely valuable. You should have no problem finding somebody that you love.

Petscop is a PS1 game from 1997 that tasks the player with catching all the pets in an abandoned animal care facility and bringing them to a loving home.

dGph13z.png

Only for things to take a dark turn when you find a mysterious, unused portion of the overworld...

IpkIMt0.gif

And a story of disturbed child abuse, death, familial dysfunction, and seemingly sinister game menus and ludicrously flexible hardware begins.

///////////*****\\\\\\\\\\​

Petscop is not an actual game, but the name of a Youtube found footage series in the internet's first ever Let's Play horror story narrative framing device, of which the titular, fictional, in-universe game is the central focus (and the source of practically all footage). If it isn't the first, it's at least the most detailed, dumbfounding, and intricate one yet.

The series is narrated by some fella named Paul, who is also the one supposedly uploading the videos. Decent seeming guy.

"This is just to prove to you that I'm not lying about this game..."
- PAUL​

From there, the rest of the series comprises his exploration of the game, and the oddly unnerving implications it appears to be keeping coated behind the pixel. The mystery and questions steadily build with each new upload... and the conclusions farther and farther.

The whole project is a boggling engima. Started two years ago, it made waves primarily for the downright bona fide looking legitimacy of the fictional, in-universe Petscop game it features. There are actual full-on animations, assets, sound effects, and convincing real-time inputs accompanying a live sounding commentary that might as well have been cut straight from an average, innocuous Youtube playthrough of some obscure, incomplete PS1 game that simply few people documented.

By now, it has garnered a sizable cult following. But its update schedule has been infamously sporadic. (They have just updated a whole five episodes in the span of about a day two months ago after a near half-year-long gap.) No one knows how many people are working on this, (or who, for that matter), nor what the long-term plan is. Whenever a new entry hits, we gather; but there is still so much to piece together; is it a haunted game story? A sci-fi conspiracy? Both?

There are currently 21 episodes, each with varying lengths. Imo, the batch of episodes in the first half is a subtle composure-dismantling shiv. Its every second is a well placed building block in the ongoing escalation of confusion and dread alike.

For the uninitiated, here is the first video of the series:

After you get through a few of those, some good resources can be found in the fan Reddit's 'Progress Document' as well as the obligatory wiki. BE WARNED, however, that these will contain spoilers for those who are still early in the running! Try to get caught up before diving in headfirst into the nest -- though, it's not like there'll be that many more answers either which way you stick your head out...

That said, for the rest of us/ya!

Have you any idea what this might be leading up to yet? :p o_O

Some claim we're nearing the end -- I suspect this won't be done with until Christmas 2020.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
Quite impressed this is still going, didn't seem like it had legs after the first couple of videos.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
This is going to sound silly but I was really disappointed this was a creepypasta. My hope is that some day, someone actually DOES make a haunted (not really, but seemingly), spooky ROM hack, burns it onto several game cartridges or discs, and then sells them around garage sales and eBay without giving details of where the game came from, hoping that the story will spread successfully from there.

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
This is going to sound silly but I was really disappointed this was a creepypasta. My hope is that some day, someone actually DOES make a haunted (not really, but seemingly), spooky ROM hack, burns it onto several game cartridges or discs, and then sells them around garage sales and eBay without giving details of where the game came from, hoping that the story will spread successfully from there.

On a slightly related note wasn't this the original plan for the distribution of horrible torture film August Underground? Just to leave a tape on a sidewalk somewhere and hope someone put it into a player?

Thanks for the thread OP, will check it out.

Last edited:

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, this would be so awesome. I guess that somewhat happened with this that turned out to just be an art project: https://gadgetzz.com/2015/10/12/this-creepy-puzzle-arrived-in-our-mail/ since at least one person said they found the same CD on a park bench somewhere (though I haven't thought about this or checked in on it for literal years so that could have been debunked idk).

Also, thanks for the heads up, OP. I'm gonna check this out now.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Yes, and it's good; the first ~10 entries are extremely impressive actually, but its pace has hit the type of lull lately that horror web series tend to.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I spent almost five years following Marble Hornets, until I just forgot it ever existed due to the bad pacing of releases. I still haven't finished that, with ten or so episodes left.

I don't know if I was commit to something like this again. But thanks, I had never heard of this before.

OP
OP
TissueBox

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017

Lol, in true guerilla style..!!

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
I marathoned all of the episodes so far off the back of this thread yesterday. Fascinating watch as a game developer, but also very unsettling at times.

OP
OP
TissueBox

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
I marathoned all of the episodes so far off the back of this thread yesterday. Fascinating watch as a game developer, but also very unsettling at times.

And I was just about to bump this muaha!! >_< In any case welcome back to cozy, airy freedom. Watching this completely alone, with the lights out = best shortcut to a trail of goosebumps...

The Petscop game itself is a real doozy. At first it wasn't clear if this was all baked animation and computer rendered, but going on 21 episodes, it appears that the authors are building their story alongside an actual playable game as a framework. At least as far as I can tell. Once again, (to risk sounding like a broken record in Prague), first time we've ever seen something like it, on this level, haye.

It's been long suspected that if that's the case the game is likely being designed on Unity, but I guess we'll never know...

Last edited:

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
And I was just about to bump this muaha!! >_< In any case welcome back to cozy, airy freedom. Watching this completely alone, with the lights out = best shortcut to a trail of goosebumps...

That is pretty much how I ended up watching it, by accident, and pretty much what happened. Don't think I've had that many goosebumps since being a kid. It's weird, because it isn't that overtly scary, but it just kind of creeps up on you over time. The bits where Paul himself gets rattled are what got to me the most.

Paul's commentary is great and very natural. Am missing it on the later episodes, perhaps enjoying them less even because of it.

The Petscop game itself is a real doozy. At first it wasn't clear if this was all baked animation and computer rendered, but going on 21 episodes, it appears that the authors are building their story alongside an actual playable game as a framework. At least as far as I can tell. First time we've ever seen something like it, on this level, haye.

Yeah, I'm impressed by the intricacy of it, and how small things become relevant or tie together later. For example, when halfway through the series Paul realizes he can take the bucket outside the house to capture a version of Tool, and then uses that method to go back and capture the pet he didn't know how to from early in the very first episode.

It seems meticulously planned because of stuff like that. Or they are doing a hell of a job ad libbing their way through.

It's been long suspected that if that's the case the game is likely being designed on Unity, but I guess we'll never know...

It definitely doesn't seem native PlayStation, as it doesn't exhibit the flaws the original console had as far as I can see. But does a decent job of evoking that era of games.

OP
OP
TissueBox

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
That is pretty much how I ended up watching it, by accident, and pretty much what happened. Don't think I've had that many goosebumps since being a kid. It's weird, because it isn't that overtly scary, but it just kind of creeps up on you over time. The bits where Paul himself gets rattled are what got to me the most.

Paul's commentary is great and very natural. Am missing it on the later episodes, perhaps enjoying them less even because of it.

Yep it's why stuff like Petscop 14 is one of its freakiest moments. Paul is one of the narrative's emotional pillars, a somewhat dorky yet nevertheless shrewd guy, who you grow to place your trust in as the events unravel. By seeing it through his eyes, and sometimes clouding them, it makes everything ambiguous and under threat.

Yeah, I'm impressed by the intricacy of it, and how small things become relevant or tie together later. For example, when halfway through the series Paul realizes he can take the bucket outside the house to capture a version of Tool, and then uses that method to go back and capture the pet he didn't know how to from early in the very first episode.

It seems meticulously planned because of stuff like that. Or they are doing a hell of a job ad libbing their way through.

The hijinks really seem to accumulate the deeper you dig. That's part of Petscop's reeling 'charm', if you want to call it that? xD For others it can be a bit overwhelming... but seriously -- just look at this.

(VIDEOS BELOW CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR EPISODES 1 - 12 & 21.)

Invisible synchronizations and overlaying crossovers seem to be a pertinent theme all across the board. From the series' sense of chronology/time, to stuff like the Quitter Room and demos and all that, to the notion of being reborn as something new.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
The hijinks really seem to accumulate the deeper you dig. That's part of Petscop's reeling 'charm', if you want to call it that? xD For others it can be a bit overwhelming... but seriously -- just look at this.

(VIDEOS BELOW CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR EPISODES 1 - 12 & 21.)

I feel I've been pretty observant, so it's satisfying when a lot of those smaller noticed details turn into something in a later episode. I hadn't picked up on these specific instances of cloned input though, so its great to see.

And you are right, the (apparent) layers just keep piling up...

5hjgm0dziy831.png

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it, until I dropped it. I can't remember which oart was it, but I just lost all interest.

OP
OP
TissueBox

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
I feel I've been pretty observant, so it's satisfying when a lot of those smaller noticed details turn into something in a later episode. I hadn't picked up on these specific instances of cloned input though, so its great to see.

And you are right, the (apparent) layers just keep piling up...

5hjgm0dziy831.png

AH yeah I saw this earlier too!!

It seems to make sense... but the Hammond relation in regards to Michael is the odd one out. Though I don't think it's confirmed, the consensus is that Mike is Daniel's younger brother and that Daniel is essentially Rainer (considering both names are associated with the owner/creator of the game, and Mike is the first to play/test it)... going by that, where does the Hammond + Leskowitz combo in Michael's family ties fit in? It either means the Daniel/Rainer connection is wrong, or this particular theory is, OR that Michael and Daniel could be related in some other, way, that's not directly familial, somehow (aka... foster/adoption service..?).

Rainer being Daniel in general raises a few questions though. If this 'Daniel' really did make this game, wouldn't he have been a teenager then? As he would be in the same age group as the second generation family line: Paul, Care, Michael, etc. So it's likely that Daniel isn't Rainer at all, and the creator of the game was never Mike's brother.

SPEAKING of names, supposedly in Petscop 18, there's a sound byte of someone saying what sounds like 'Aaron' or 'Erin' or Er-/Aar-'something before being cut off, lol. Talk about a clustertruck of monikers already!!

- Courtesy of Youtube user ㄥ卂乙ㄩㄥ丨

What could this MEAN? o_o xP

I liked it, until I dropped it. I can't remember which oart was it, but I just lost all interest.

As is the case with these little projects, it definitely stuttered over the past two years lol!! But hey, the ever expanding lore grows more calculably incalculable by the entry -- if you haven't seen the latest drop, some interesting tidbits have been revealed there. Narratively divisive though. First half was definitely the peak. *puts nodding pizza in PlayStation*

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
It seems to make sense... but the Hammond relation in regards to Michael is the odd one out. Though I don't think it's confirmed, the consensus is that Mike is Daniel's younger brother and that Daniel is essentially Rainer (considering both names are associated with the owner/creator of the game, and Mike is the first to play/test it)... going by that, where does the Hammond + Leskowitz combo in Michael's family ties fit in? It either means the Daniel/Rainer connection is wrong, or this particular theory is, OR that Michael and Daniel could be related in some other, way, that's not directly familial, somehow (aka... foster/adoption service..?).

Michael is definitely a Hammond. But the Daniel/Rainier connection theory is noted. Could be just the "full name" part of this theory is correct, and the nickname part is just (mostly) coincidence.

Rainer being Daniel in general raises a few questions though. If this 'Daniel' really did make this game, wouldn't he have been a teenager then? As he would be in the same age group as the second generation family line: Paul, Care, Michael, etc. So it's likely that Daniel isn't Rainer at all, and the creator of the game was never Mike's brother.

The kids interacting with the game as "testers" seems odd to me in general. They seem too young (at the time) to be really be interacting with the game as depicted. Though "Care dancing" was a nice touch.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So is the best way to approach this to just watch all the videos straight through and then start digging into stuff?

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I watched some of the videos like ... two years ago? It just kept going and got more confusing / less exciting as it went along, so I dropped it

OP
OP
TissueBox

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
OHsnap with some new noggins rolling in I guess we'd better spoiler this just in case lol.

Michael is definitely a Hammond. But the Daniel/Rainier connection theory is noted. Could be just the "full name" part of this theory is correct, and the nickname part is just (mostly) coincidence.

On second thought, Rainer is definitely not Daniel. Thomas, if anything..!

The kids interacting with the game as "testers" seems odd to me in general. They seem too young (at the time) to be really be interacting with the game as depicted. Though "Care dancing" was a nice touch.

A lot of particular 'hints' seem like they are superficially misleading... if the game was made (or rather, 'modified') for Marvin, why did Rainer also apparently have 47~ other kids/people play it (as gathered from 19/20)? Judging from the framing and the motifs of the game, these were likely all foster kids. It could be that Anna, Marvin, and Rainer all had some hand in the operation of it, idk. But then, with people like Marvin and Belle in the mix, the integrity of that notion is washy.

While I don't think it's completely implausible that these kids were "play-testing" the game per se, I do suspect that some other shenanigans may be festering. Particularly due to Belle's role in the story. It's still all hard to parse correctly, especially with regards to what is 'metaphorical' (to some real life events) and what may be 'literal', that is, events exclusively contained in the game's world. But considering these are real people playing the game (and their real names), what would Belle, a non-relative/'family' member, be getting out of playing this game? Is that where rebirthing comes in?

In any case I think Care's demos definitely seem to reflect the tendencies of a girl her age, at least in the context of the story. In two instances of her recorded gameplay, we see her 1) running around from left to right and nothing else, and (as you mention) 2) dancing to Ace of Base (literally). She still is a bit young but hey pressing around two buttons in quick succession can get picked up in a few seconds or so. :p

So is the best way to approach this to just watch all the videos straight through and then start digging into stuff?

Whether you plow through it or take your time is your call! But taking to the interwebs for elaboration before finishing it all will oust a few plot developments in future episodes unless you're careful since most resources look at the entirety of the narrative and due to the nature of the series it's difficult to avoid spoiling some things without downright avoiding mention of them at all as there are many elements that tie into other episodes and vice versa, sometimes not 'til the next one, and other times waay later. Like just the most recent couple, for instance, lmao. As this is not really a traditional story, though, it might not really matter -- but it's still fun to try figuring things out yourself on the way.

If you do plan on taking the plunge, though... strap in. ^^' Don't worry, there's no jumpscares.

Last edited:

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
I watched all of the episodes since my last post and I really enjoyed it. Super well done, and I know there are complaints about the fact that some things go on for a super long time, but I like that it adds to the mythos that this is just someone uploading their unedited let's play video, haha. I mean, I know there are other jump cuts so that sort of makes it a moot point, but for me I enjoyed it.

What I don't really enjoy is when I went looking for lore videos or searching around reading more information is that so many things are just assumed to be 100% fact and not just hypotheses. I guess that's why I usually fall out of these things to be honest.

OP
OP
TissueBox

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
I watched all of the episodes since my last post and I really enjoyed it. Super well done, and I know there are complaints about the fact that some things go on for a super long time, but I like that it adds to the mythos that this is just someone uploading their unedited let's play video, haha. I mean, I know there are other jump cuts so that sort of makes it a moot point, but for me I enjoyed it.

What I don't really enjoy is when I went looking for lore videos or searching around reading more information is that so many things are just assumed to be 100% fact and not just hypotheses. I guess that's why I usually fall out of these things to be honest.

Oh yes. 80% of everything is off the mark a few notches I'd wager. Woe, the surrounding fan theory makers can easily forget what is speculation and what is hard supported. xP When regarding Petscop, there is so little confirmed and much only teased at and baited that one must take care (ahem) to remember the difference between hypothesizing and jumping to conclusions wholesale! *looks at self* Yes, even me...

And yeah, it's particularly as a Let's Play I feel Petscop shines, because it's such a neat spin on the format. Which is why when it interferes in weird ways it sometimes feels off-putting. >_< Its consistency is a strength, though. Even when it gets weird, it's consistent with what we come to expect. xP WHICH essentially boils down to the creepy obfuscation of things that seem to go deeper than they ever have a right to.

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of another youtube series, but I can't remember the exact name...
It was a channel with about 100 videos, maybe? And I think it was something about a game, and it started getting pretty dark with each video.

I can only remember the game involving a tree of sorts.. I think they found like a video or something there? And then started playing. And maybe I dreamt this, but it had something to do with people looking for this game all over the world...

Anyone got a clue what I'm talking about?

OP
OP
TissueBox

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of another youtube series, but I can't remember the exact name...
It was a channel with about 100 videos, maybe? And I think it was something about a game, and it started getting pretty dark with each video.

I can only remember the game involving a tree of sorts.. I think they found like a video or something there? And then started playing. And maybe I dreamt this, but it had something to do with people looking for this game all over the world...

Anyone got a clue what I'm talking about?

Unfortunately no, but it sounds potentially freaky. xD The only other big game-based 'creepypasta' thing is Ben Drowned/Jadausable, but that's a clustertruck of its own. I kind of fell off of it long ago and never got back on. *shrug-nod*

OP
OP
TissueBox

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
After letting these three vids sink in over the past week or so, I can safely say Petscop is one of the most impenetrable web-stories yet.

Oh what am I kidding, that was a given, like, by part 4.

Fascinating to see how stumped everyone has gotten though. Especially with how hands-off the storytelling tends to be -- even when it's quite apparently laying out the exposition before us, in its own warped way. The writers, however, never quite seem to continue on a single thread all the way, instead introducing a zillion new little string theory juniors into the mix without ever solidifying the purposes of previous motifs. But, in the end, they seem to tie together just as planned.

Who knows what is going on, but so far, I'm on the side of there being more; it's either that, or we fell asleep in class!

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
After letting these three vids sink in over the past week or so, I can safely say Petscop is one of the most impenetrable web-stories yet.
How did you find Ascension? The one that started with Kanye Quest. I followed it for a bit but it dropped off once the unfiction forums went offline, and thought that was hard to follow.

OP
OP
TissueBox

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
How did you find Ascension? The one that started with Kanye Quest. I followed it for a bit but it dropped off once the unfiction forums went offline, and thought that was hard to follow.

I remember it blowing up and keeping a cursory eye on it, but as it progressed I never quite kept up with it... it's quite the roller coaster..!! Always wished Kanye was somehow involved in it, for twisted poetry's sake.

OP
OP
TissueBox

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
So on that note, some major ripples touching base this week in the Petscop community (and as I just found out LOL).

The creator has gone public and has been revealed as an indie dev and writer, and has confirmed that Petscop is indeed finished, "except for one thing". Whatever that means..!!

Also, he was indeed the voice of Paul. Hi Paul..!!

Summation here, on that one site with the dits that all happen to be red: