• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I have had to make appointments for each of my two cats lately and it seems you just can't come in for a same day - or next day appointment any more.

My cat has something wrong with his paw-he keeps licking and chewing on it. It's all swollen and irritated. I called up the vet today and they said the earliest appointment is a month away. I then called all the other vets in town and they aren't taking new patients at all because they are overwhelmed with appointments.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Oh no! I've been to the vet a couple of times lately, no problems at all just shorter hours. Could you maybe call a vet at a neighboring town?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No. But now it is wait in the parking lot, they come out and take your pet inside and then call you during the examination.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
For my local vet anyway, it seems to be much the same as it used to be. They're certainly not less busy, is my impression. If we want an appointment with our preferred vet it could be many days, or we might get in sooner with one of the other vets on site. They always set aside one or two daily appointments for emergencies, and I'm sure it's best to call for those ASAP. Even before covid, those kind of visits would require dropping off, they'd check out the pet when they made time, and pick up later.

Do they take email? Maybe they'll look at a pic of the paw and bump up your priority if needed?

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Don't have any pets.

If the cat has a cut/infection you can get some amoxicillin pills online and mix it in their food. (<- granted I'm not a Vet, haha....but this worked miracles on some cats in the past that got in fights/had horrible infections that I couldn't physically take to a doctor)

I suggest the above as an emergency kind of thing. I wouldn't do that if it's just swelling/irritation/not an infection.

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
Yeah, vets have been unusually busy where I am in NorCal. Most of them only have available appointments a month away similar to your situation. I had to accept an appointment two weeks from the time I called even for some vaccinations. Sorry about your situation. Might be a longshot but do you have a university close by with a vet program/teaching hospital?

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, vets have been unusually busy where I am in NorCal. Most of them only have available appointments a month away similar to your situation. I had to accept an appointment two weeks from the time I called even for some vaccinations. Sorry about your situation. Might be a longshot but do you have a university close by with a vet program/teaching hospital?

I finally found a place where the receptionist felt bad for Oliver and told me to come in and they would fit us in. I'm in the waiting room now.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I finally found a place where the receptionist felt bad for Oliver and told me to come in and they would fit us in. I'm in the waiting room now.
Good news, but... they let you inside a waiting room? Hmmm. Ours is drive-thru only. Stop at the window to chat, person comes out to retrieve and return pet, wait in parking lot.

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
I need to get our dog fixed really badly but every appointment is either really far out or on a day that we work. It's tough with how limited things have been.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Glad you managed to find a place. A month away is nuts, and while it would be more expensive, consider an emergency vet unless you've already tried.

I had no problem getting a vet appointment a couple months ago within a day or so, but last year my dogs needed a cardiologist appointment which had a two month wait, so I had to take them to an emergency vet just to get someone to to a preemptive checkup.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's been hard to get an appointment for months. Back in April, I was only able to get my cat in by saying it was an emergency and paying a higher rate (and it turned out that it was an emergency, but there was nothing they could do to save her). Well, maybe if we had identified the problem sooner we might have been able to do something, since there are experimental treatments for FIP, but I really don't like thinking about that.

When I adopted a couple kittens about a month and a half ago, I was only able to get their basic appointments (vaccines, spay/neuter) by scheduling them weeks in advance, and at a different vet than I normally use. My normal vet said they were filled up through August.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You can always go to an emergency clinic if one is nearby and open And the situation calls for it, but be prepared to pay.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been able to make a same day vet appointment in at least 10 years unless it's an emergency and then there's a specific window and I usually have to bring him to Tufts Vet Hospital in those cases. Tufts is amazing for care but super expensive and I've never been seen quicker than... Like 4 hours, and usually in the middle of the night. And then you get an RX that you already knew you needed and a $500 bill.

But in covid it makes sense if it's harder. Vet clinics are usually small and cramped. You have to space out appts to prevent the waiting room w from getting over crowded. I've always asked if we can wait in the car and my vet has always obliged. That's now their standard practice which is great.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
My vet said they were all booked for 6 weeks when I called to make an appointment. Never been more than a week out before. I think it is just how many people got new puppies over the quarantine they are totally full.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yup. Using Banfield at the moment.

Had to schedule my dogs dental cleaning at least a month out and when they could finally see her, told me they had to evaluate her liver enzymes and would reschedule me. She finally had her teeth cleaned almost 2 months later.

The pandemic has led to more people using vets I suppose?

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Vet here. Can explain some reason why vets are busier now/less available appointments.

With the COVID shut down/restrictions there was fewer appointment made for both preventive care and mild chronic medical illness in the Spring.
Lots of elective surgery got postponed.
So there is a lot of backlog that is catching up now.

Combined with some vet reduce their hours/changed their scheduling to accommodate new safety measures due to COVID.
Summer is normally a time where a fair bit of the staff (vets, technician, receptions, etc) will take vacations.
On top of that Spring and Summer are usually busy seasons for various illness (allergies, traumas, skin/ear infections, etc).

The past couple of months have been way busier than normal for sure.

It's should get better once the backlogs are done IF there is not another series of shutdown.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Nope was easy, just now it's curb side service and you wait in the car after you give them your pet.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Vet here. Can explain some reason why vets are busier now/less available appointments.

With the COVID shut down/restrictions there was fewer appointment made for both preventive care and mild chronic medical illness in the Spring.

Combined with some vet reduce their hours/changed their scheduling to accommodate new safety measures due to COVID.
Summer is normally a time where a fair bit of the staff (vets, technician, receptions, etc) will take vacations.
On top of that Spring and Summer are usually busy seasons for various illness (allergies, traumas, skin/ear infections, etc).

It's should get better once the backlogs are done IF there is not another series of shutdown.

My typical work days past few weeks is I get to work around 8: 45 am and leave around 8 15 pm.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
No problem making a visit. Had to make a same day one recently for my dog as he had a limp of unknown origin. We also only waited in the lot for like a minute before letting us both in.
Did take my other dog for a routine visit yesterday and it took way longer than usual. But it was just a yearly shot so no rush, etc.
So guess I am fortunate but my vet still seems to be operating how they always have, just with the added layer of the parking lot, and they make exceptions with me going in with them when it is necessary.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear someone saw you. Honestly I'm shocked you're in a lobby though. All the vets in my city are parking lot only. I also wasn't able to make an appointment with my regular vet (1.5 month wait) but all the other vets I called were available. Unfortunately I've had to visit the vet three times in the last couple months

My typical work days past few weeks is I get to work around 8: 45 am and leave around 8 15 pm.
That's exactly the story I heard from my regular vet and the new one I've been going to. I imagine you're ready for things to settle down again

Oct 30, 2017
I ended up taking my cat to a animal emergency hospital over two months ago when I couldn't get an appointment within a weeks time calling all around. It ended up costing a fortune but I had no choice at that point as I was nearing an emotional wreck at that point.

It's been better now for her regular check-up within the same week now.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear someone saw you. Honestly I'm shocked you're in a lobby though. All the vets in my city are parking lot only. I also wasn't able to make an appointment with my regular vet (1.5 month wait) but all the other vets I called were available. Unfortunately I've had to visit the vet three times in the last couple months

That's exactly the story I heard from my regular vet and the new one I've been going to. I imagine you're ready for things to settle down again

I was surprised I was inside too. This was a small place.

At my normal vet they now make you wait outside and come get your cat and it's so busy there there's no where to park. There must be 30 cars parked and waiting outside idling.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No problems here. You just have to call when you get there and then someone comes out to get you when they are ready.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I needed shots for my dog and he was having a severe allergic reaction. I called my vet and got an appointment for the next day. When I arrived I called them and they sent a tech to my car to get my dog and they went inside to get everything taken care of. I wanted to say it took a bit longer but in reality I was able to sit in my car and listen to podcasts so it almost felt like it took less time.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, GF's dog has a similar paw issue and couldn't get an appointment for quite a while. Thankfully he's going in this week.