• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Flu shot 2019?

• I got mine!

Votes: 199 37.6%
  • I have not received mine yet, but I plan to!

Votes: 215 40.6%
  • I haven’t received mine and don’t plan to out of general irresponsibility.

Votes: 105 19.8%
  • I am an anti-vaxxer and am fundamentally misinformed.

Votes: 10 1.9%

• Total voters

///PATRIOT

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Peddling Dangerous Conspiracy Theories; Prior Severe Ban for Misogyny
I am a antivaxxer and I am not misinformed.

rasu

Dec 22, 2017
I'm getting one ASAP. The place I usually go to doesn't have them in stock yet.
People who can get vaccines but choose not to are irresponsible.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I am a antivaxxer and I am not misinformed.
giphy.gif

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Got mine a few days ago. The wife and kids got theirs last week. I'm a firm believer in herd immunity (AKA scientific facts), so if inconveniencing myself for five minutes to get the shot can help others, I'll gladly do it.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Haven't gotten mine yet. I usually drop in at a local CVS to get it, and my plan is to make it happen by the end of the month.

My wife's going out of town this Saturday so I'll probably do it then.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
i already got sick a lot during the fall (i get it during seasonal changes) and my company's shot date is late november :/

skipping this year

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I work in a hospital so I literally have to have a flu shot in order to keep my job, so yes I got one.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
My wife got hers, but my son has to wait until his doctor's office gets theirs in, and I'm waiting until I get back from my trip since I've had one doctor say that I'm alright to start getting them again, and another doctor that tells me I'm severely allergic to the shots.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Just got mine yesterday. Was in and out of Costco in 10 minutes and it was totally covered by insurance, very easy. I used to get really sick every winter, but since getting the shot every year I've been fit as a fiddle.

Nov 28, 2017
Sweden
You're not going to accomplish this by advocating individual choice. You need to advocate policy change. You're not going to accomplish herd immunity without government support.

As for now, I'm just following the recommendations issued by the institute of public health in my country.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I get the flu shot every year and it's mostly for others. I'm in my mid 30s, I rarely get the flu. It costs me nothing, takes 5 minutes, and it may indirectly save lives.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
You're not going to accomplish this by advocating individual choice. You need to advocate policy change. You're not going to accomplish herd immunity without government support.

As for now, I'm just following the recommendations issued by the institute of public health in my country.
You mean mandatory vaccinations for the flu? It's hardly a dangerous disease for the majority.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I was going to schedule one through my pharmacy but they didn't have anything open throughout the rest of October. It looks like I can walk into the Wegmans pharmacy without an appointment so I'll probably do that today.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I HATED needles as a kid...

Got the flu shot for the first time yesterday. Didn't even feel the needle go in. Can't believe how much my childhood scarred me when it came to needles.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
I never do. Not many people get the flu vaccine here. I think they only recommend it if you are old or something.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
No, I mean issuing recommendations that the average adult get the shot, perhaps in combination with making it free. Like it's apparently done in the US (with caveats when it comes to the free part).
Yeah it should be free to anyone who wants it. It's normally just done with more dangerous viruses like the swine influenza.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I usually get mine around this time of year when I see the banners at the local Walgreens.

I have wondered what changed in the last five years though. It used to be only certain groups needed flu shots, but now it seems like they want everyone to have one? Was there a reason it changed?

I know it's not a very exact vaccine, but I figure if it helps and it's only like 15 bucks so why not.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
My job is providing me with one at the end of October.

Haven't been sick with anything in years but better safe than sorry

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
If you get a bad enough case you could be an early 20 something professional athlete and still die from the flu. And even if you do still come down with the flu getting a vaccine will make it a milder case. It very well could be the difference between being incapacitated for over a week and only being sick for a day or two.

MoonScented

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've never had the flu vaccine, and I've never gotten the flu. The one year I thought about getting it, a fellow classmate came in to a dance rehearsal a few hours after getting his and he was pale, sweaty, and looked like shit. He had to sit the rehearsal out. Of course, this is all anecdotal, but this is my story.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The effectiveness declines over time because of the shrinking antibody population. If you take it now, it will be way less effective by the time the flu season peaks. Flu season is shifting a lot, more to January and February nowadays. So recommendation is to get the shot more towards the end of November. So if you take it now, you get a nice false sense of security.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I've not had one ever before. Always see 'em, always forget. Never get the flu tho.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I usually get one. I don't have health insurance right now and I don't know where I can get one for the cheapest price

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As someone with a weakened immune system, I want to say thank to everyone who gets a flu shot. Good people helping me and people like me.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I'm keeping an eye out for places with the best incentive to get it there (gift card or whatnot). Normally get mine in November because as mentioned flu season has shifted to Jan/Feb.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
You mean mandatory vaccinations for the flu? It's hardly a dangerous disease for the majority.

It can be extremely dangerous, and the more carriers the higher risk of mutations.

Besides, even in a normal year in the US 35k die from it. A lot are young kids, which obviously given how inexpensive it is to treat why wouldn't you get a flu shot if you have insurance? And the other at risk group are the elderly. Yeah, sure they'll probably die within a couple of years anyway but that's a real shit thing to do when it's entirely avoidable.